Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-07-06, 12:57   Link #1
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Thumbs up G.A. Geijutsuka Art Design Class

Geijutsuka Art Design Class (GA 芸術科アートデザインクラス)

Genre (j) - yon-komi, seinen
Genre (e) - comedy, slice of life

Plot Summary: It's Kisaragi's first year in G.A.: the specialized art and design department at her high school. The timid Kisaragi has a lot to learn, but with the help of a very unique group of friends, even the most difficult lesson becomes loads of fun - if not downright silly! With the aid of full-color pages throughout, you too can learn the basics of color theory and become a great artist yourself! Satoko Kiyuduki, creator of Shoulder-a-Coffin Kuro, melds art class and manga in a whole new way!

Manga-ka: Satoko Kiyuduki
Serialized in: Manga Time Kirara Carat (originated in Comic Gyutto!)
Publisher: Houbunsha
English Licence: Yen Press

Volume 1: Pub. April 2009, ISBN-13:9780759529038,ISBN:0759529035

Volume 2: Pub. Nov 2009, ISBN-13:9780759530706, ISBN:075953070X

Volume 3: Rel. Dec 2010, ISBN not defined yet

Covers:
, ,

There's a lot of smart snappy comic patter and dialog in this series, along with wacky "art guide snippets" about art, drawing, and color. The artwork is really eye-catching and the way the mangaka draws character eyes just adds to the insanity.

Wiki reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GA_Geij...t_Design_Class

Animesuki anime thread: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...ght=geijutsuka

Japanese home site for animated series: http://mv.avex.jp/ga/

Will update this opening post with pics and news.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-07-12 at 14:27.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 20:35   Link #2
Jiji
*Scanlator

Good job on the new thread, Vexx. This is one manga I have a tendency to re-read over and over again. Although i have found that the voice of Noda inserts itself from the anime -- this is a good thing, though.

I find it interesting that while she says that the art info in the manga "shouldn't really be trusted", almost all of it is spot on as far as I can see. There's something about a manga that's cute, fun, funny AND educational.
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 00:30   Link #3
Falkor

there's not a whole lot to say about the manga if you have already watched the anime adaptation that came out last year. stuff from the first two volumes have been pretty much covered. But even so, I love the manga because it's the kind that makes you smile and care for the characters. while not as hilarious as let's say S.S. Astro, it's still a very funny, unique and enjoyable work (and educational, too, as Jiji has pointed out). My favorite part, of both anime and manga, has to be the Yami-Nabe story near the end of the second volume. The smile that was drawn on my face suddenly became small bursts of laughter. one of the most funniest things, I should say... which I would love to try out with my friends one day, lol.

Saw the third volume for pre-order on amazon, just when I was ordering my eight volume of yotsubato. Will probably get it for Christmas together with the ninth volume of our favorite green-haired girl, which, if I'm correct, should be released around the same time.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 09:44   Link #4
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiji View Post
Good job on the new thread, Vexx. This is one manga I have a tendency to re-read over and over again. Although i have found that the voice of Noda inserts itself from the anime -- this is a good thing, though.

I find it interesting that while she says that the art info in the manga "shouldn't really be trusted", almost all of it is spot on as far as I can see. There's something about a manga that's cute, fun, funny AND educational.
I've read the first two volumes multiples times myself as well. Definitely looking forward to volume 3. Just need to order it eventually. Although with the release months away, I may do so a bit later.

I get the feeling the "shouldn't really be trusted" line is partially in jest and partially be on the safe side. Ie she warns us ahead of time just in case.

In any case, the "color" segments are definite large part of the manga's charm.
Old 2010-07-18, 08:33   Link #5
SAT

Or perhaps she said it out of humbleness. Though it seems to me all art instructions / techniques in this manga are cleverly presented real stuffs.
SAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-03, 12:02   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

(also posted in anime thread)
Okay.... this is interesting; a *FIGURE* release for this series... wonder how many they'll do?

Kisaragi to start, a nice one of her and her art equipment scattered about:
http://www.hlj.com/product/CAD13241
Old 2010-08-03, 21:11   Link #7
Kagekyuubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
(also posted in anime thread)
Okay.... this is interesting; a *FIGURE* release for this series... wonder how many they'll do?

Kisaragi to start, a nice one of her and her art equipment scattered about:
http://www.hlj.com/product/CAD13241
Shame it's not a figma or a nendoroid. Would love to have Noda and the gang up to their hijinks in my room.
Kagekyuubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-15, 03:52   Link #8
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Time to raise the thread for an announcement: An official Mandarin translation is out by Qing Wen Publishing (www.ching-win.com.tw).
Old 2011-07-18, 01:42   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Is this still in production at all? neither G.A. nor the author's other series (Kuro shoulder-a-coffin girl) appear on my radar.
Old 2011-07-18, 02:55   Link #10
Sean Gaffney
Nomad of the Time Streams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Is this still in production at all? neither G.A. nor the author's other series (Kuro shoulder-a-coffin girl) appear on my radar.
The GA manga is still running in Japan, but it's a 4-koma series, so volumes come out about once a year. It's in the magazine Manga Time Kirara Carat.

Shoulder-a-Coffin Kuro was technically put on hiatus because GA got more popular, but in reality I think it's pretty cancelled.
Sean Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 21:13   Link #11
AnimeFangirl

The anime was fun. Like Azumanga Daioh-lite. I'll pick up the manga once it goes a little further.
Old 2011-12-11, 17:01   Link #12
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

While I wasn't looking, Yen Press woke up and there's a Volume Three on the shelves now. G.A. for the win.....

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ga-s...=9780316128049
Old 2014-10-11, 19:29   Link #13
Dop
Mmmm....

If I may raise this thread from the dead, volume 6 just came out and the opening Mona Lisa joke had me in hysterics. I love the way Kiyuduki uses her actual art knowledge to base the sketches on here.

There's not a thread for it, so I hope people don't mind me mentioning it here, but the fourth volume of "Shoulder-a-Coffin Kuro" came out too, after a two year gap (which considering the gap between volume 2 and 3 was four years isn't too bad).
We see how Kuro met Sen, and there's this whole railway station sequence which is quite wonderful in its symbolism.
This is getting really dark now. The thing with the cat is horrifying. I really wish there'd be less of a wait for volume 5.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-08, 10:58   Link #14
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

All seven volumes and 98 chapters are accounted for.

I actually started this series with the anime, and the more technical POV on visual arts in GA as opposed to the strong focus on school life in Hidamari Sketch gave a strong contrast that also helped me relate to it as once a visual arts student in high school. Although the story is generally bubbly, there are also some gloomy moments that really stand out... and they are much more gloomy than what you typically see in a school life 4-koma like this.

It's actually quite a surprise how it managed to handle two casts of characters: Kisaragi's group of friends and the actual members of the Ayanoi Academy Art Club. I've seen K-ON absolutely struggle with that, and GA pulled it off while preventing the Art Club members from reminding you of the main five girls. Both sides of the story have their own definition of fun, and have their own problems to face.

Sadly, the story has ended with Kisaragi becoming a senpai for the first time and the five girls joining the Art Club. There could have been more adventures for the gang now that they are under a school club, but I guess we have to move on from this.

'Tis been a good ride.

Overall rating: 9/10
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4-koma, comedy, seinen, slice of life