Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-07, 06:32   Link #1
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Shinkon Gattai Godannar

Note: I'm writing this from the standpoint of a really impressed fan, while I will tone down the obligatory fanboyism, I will not curb my praises and cheers to this animated production. While I expect others' bashing for some of this series' more-than-obvious faults, I'd like you to keep in mind that: this is being written by a guy who grew up on Super-Robo Animations. These animated series, on a rather sub-concious level I suppose, take me back to when I was 6-14, when everything was fine . Moreover, these Supa-Robo series' are what started me on the path of an anime lover. This is a guy that would have his face full of tears when a character goes out [see: die] in the cheesiest manner possible. So if you cannot understand my passion for this genre, please think twice about what you are saying before you post, and refrain from flaming. You comments are appreciated.

With the above said, Shinkon Gattai Godannar(神魂合体ゴーダンナー ) is one of the best Supa-Robo Anime I have seen in some time. Its nice, thick lines of character definition, while serving as the epitome of its genre, never once felt too out of place with its animation's modern crispness. Its traditional storyline is cheesy and predictable to a fault, but never fails to capture the essense of a blood-boiling tale. It is a nice change from all the depression, suburban chaos, and human decay depicted in the "mainstream" Anime series. It is, at least for me, a good dip in the subtle simplicity offered by "Godannar."

I do realize many are turned-off by this show's more-than-excessive, "Slayers-esque" semi-nudity of women with abnormally large breasts. Frankly, this show does not seem to benefit much from it, other than garnering notoriety and getting itself classified as nothing more than a "Moe~ Fanservice."

With all its faults, Godannar have still managed to carve a space in my mind. The show's pacing is fast, snappy, and never fails to cheer me up. (This is said with the exception of one episode.) I am glad (and relieved) that it is taking off with a second season as we speak.

Okay... I hope I've convinced some of you that this show is not as bad as so many have made it out to be. In any case, I do have some questions.

For those who know: What production house and/or publisher(s) are responsible for Godannar? I scanned the OP/ED credit left and right, there's no name of a major publisher like GONZO or BONES, not even Sunrise. There are a few others shows with just the names of the respective projects written where the name of the publisher is usually present.

A music question: The ED theme is a duet, and the male singer is Mizugi(ki?) Ichiro A.K.A Aniki as featured in a Famitsu-PS2 issue last year. This guy is supposed legendary for having done more than 1000 songs live total in a particular 199X-ish year. He is supposedly a prolific anime singer and a video game columnist. What I would like to know is: What are some of his best known work? The Famitsu-issue didn't go to far in listing his songs.

Fansub Questions: Is AOne/Infusion or any other groups taking on the Second Season as an active project? I would very, very much like to see it go through.

Anyways that's enough from me for now--Thanks for reading this far and I honestly recommend this series as well as its second season.
Old 2004-04-07, 07:38   Link #2
brightman
Ancient Member

Nope, it's not bad at all. I've always enjoyed the whole retro mood mixed with fanservice in this and Gravion and I think there are elements in Super Robot shows that are seemingly missing from many modern anime. So definitely not bad.
Old 2004-04-07, 07:43   Link #3
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

It's not bad, however the hot-blood super robot + insane fanservice do not mix well IMO. I guess it's targeted at a specific audience, that people born in the 70's and grew up loving super robot shows, and now love a bit fanservice from huge breasted girls.
Old 2004-04-07, 09:06   Link #4
Spirit Chicken!

Send a message via AIM to Spirit Chicken!
Talking

I am relieved to see some well crafted praise for Godannar! I also greatly enjoyed this show, the humor, the action, running around screaming attacks never gets old...as faithful as the ole Getter Beam.
I also give a nod to hopefully get aone-infusion to sub the second season adn any subsequent works that come out of this franchise...their translation was excellent and looked mighty professional. Here's hoping for a great second season and some very interesting new character and storylines to add to the next Super Robots Wars games
Old 2004-04-07, 11:07   Link #5
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

I really liked Godannar, but they could've toned down the fan service a bit. For some reason, giant robots and extreme amounts of fan service with HUGE chested women didn't mix too well, and I was left feeling somewhat awkward. Of course, I don't dislike giant robots or fan service in and of themselves. With that being said, retro themed series are definitely cool.
Old 2004-04-07, 18:20   Link #6
SwiftStar
Daydreamer

I love this show. Hot-blooded indeed. I know the fanservice seems out of place but I like it because of that. The fanservice here seems like an extra to an already good show. It's a welcome change from shows where the fanservice is all there is and there is no other worthwhile reason for watching it for besides a few lame attempts at comedy. It does seem incredibly oddly placed at times, but that just makes me laugh.
Old 2004-04-07, 19:38   Link #7
Spaceghost

I'm going to be a total perv and ask, which eps involve the mother/boss of the robot team thingy being nekkid?
Old 2004-04-07, 20:16   Link #8
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
I'm glad to see your responses

To SpaceGhost: It's unfortunate( ), but there is no "hardcore" nudity in this show--It was broadcast on TV in Japan. There are, however, plenty of doujinshi(serialized fanarts, if you will) out there. And I'm afraid that you'll need to look for those yourself as Animesuki forum prohibits linking of said materials.

To the SRW reference: It is actually the first thing that popped into my mind the moment the "Heaaato-Breaaakaa" Combo was done. I was more than surprised then, at why this series is not included in the SRW:MX line-up. Then I realized... Project Godannar 2004... Oh well there will be another one This show is made for an SRW
Old 2004-04-07, 20:56   Link #9
MercuryKnight

Send a message via MSN to MercuryKnight
If you take a moment to get by the enormous breasts that seem to adorn the female lead in the show. You may find an intriging story with some very interesting subplots.
I personally am looking forward to the second season.
Old 2004-04-07, 21:02   Link #10
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
Godannar had a great animation and very pretty girls palying their parts
Old 2004-04-08, 00:56   Link #11
Spaceghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melazoma
I'm glad to see your responses

To SpaceGhost: It's unfortunate( ), but there is no "hardcore" nudity in this show--It was broadcast on TV in Japan. There are, however, plenty of doujinshi(serialized fanarts, if you will) out there. And I'm afraid that you'll need to look for those yourself as Animesuki forum prohibits linking of said materials.
Since I saw the first episde of Godanner I have been looking for Godanner doujinshi on google, but no luck
Old 2004-04-08, 04:07   Link #12
foxdie

Godannar is great, One of the better anime of late, next to ROD and Fullmetal .Can't wait for season two. Ep 1 was just released as a raw so I will be very happy if someone is subbing this.

I'm not a fanservice man but I loved it in Godannar. It made the whole thing look even more like a parody on Giant Robo shows.
Everything's supa cool about this show. Made me feel very good.
Old 2004-04-08, 15:32   Link #13
scingram

I really liked the show, the animation style was very slick and polished.
The Humor is just great cheezball throwback stuff. Loved it.
Very fun.

What makes me laugh is that the girlfriend cannot get enough of the show, she cracks up everytime we watch it. Its freakin hysterical.

Saw that the raw for season 2 is out now, hopefully the sub is out soon.

-S
Old 2004-04-27, 08:05   Link #14
Don Eunuch
Lin Er

I laugh and laugh at the insane giant bouncing breasts in this show. What were the producers thinking?

Quite entertaining, but why shout their special moves in english?
Old 2004-04-27, 08:38   Link #15
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

Well, raws are out up to episode 4, and Godannar is only getting better this second season. You guys have no idea what you're missing out on :P

With that being said, is no one picking up this project? Was the first season of Godannar not popular enough or something? -_-;

*wonders*
Old 2004-04-27, 09:01   Link #16
Don Eunuch
Lin Er

Well if you know Japanese, you can be the subber for season 2. :P
Old 2004-04-28, 05:25   Link #17
LArSON
leecher wannabe

Send a message via Yahoo to LArSON
c'mon fansubbers... this is a good show we, the leechers, don't wanna miss. So please, someone, help US...

Arrigato!

PS I, personaly would love if AonE will sub second season like the first.
Old 2004-04-28, 12:58   Link #18
foxdie

Yep, the quality of season one was top notch. Great work Aone (just to suck up so maybe you will sub season 2, but wasn't lying on the quality and good work part, and for having the guts to sub such a great series instead of another peacemaker sub :P). If subbers would only drop Gantz and sub GODANNAR S2. Ok, I'll stop whining now.
Old 2004-04-28, 23:13   Link #19
Fronzel
Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Eunuch
Quite entertaining, but why shout their special moves in english?

Special moves have very often been in English thoughtout anime, no? English is "cool," isn't it?
Old 2004-04-28, 23:33   Link #20
brightman
Ancient Member

Supposedly AonE and Froth-Bite will be making a release for this sometime in the future... No idea when though.