AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st - rating
Perfect 10 61 43.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 30.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 8.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 12.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.44%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.72%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.72%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-09, 10:33   Link #2081
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

This begs the question how exactly the Wolkenritter ranks work. I believe their ranks stem from Old Belka. At least, they shouldn't be TSAB ranks - Assuming the ranks they have aren't measured by magical power, it's a little odd that their best is Signum with S- which is two ranks below Nanoha and Fate.
Old 2010-12-09, 11:27   Link #2082
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
It might be possible that the testing methods disfavor Signum's style - from what we've seen (it's very little, but still) there seems to be a significant number of ranged attack testing involved, and Signum isn't much an expert in those.

Though, I don't think the ratings were given much thought at all in the first place = \
Old 2010-12-09, 13:41   Link #2083
Kallen4life

agreed about Signum, she's S- and Nanoha/Fate are S+, which is weird, because she obviously can match either of them

Hayate couldn't cast the big spells without help targeting (and possibly unisoning with Rein II) and in the manga admitted she's basically useless in a 1v1 and Erio/Caro could beat her .. she's still the biggest walking nuke in the series though .. well maybe blaster-3 SLB Nanoha can match, but that is cast from HP

Precia did cast a few 'local' spells, I think her control is definitely better then Hayates, but raw power maybe less

I'd like to see an actual SSS one day :O
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Old 2010-12-09, 14:02   Link #2084
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
agreed about Signum, she's S- and Nanoha/Fate are S+, which is weird, because she obviously can match either of them
If Hayate is SS and the least competent in 1v1 of the three aces, then it shouldn't be surprising that Signum is ranked a little below Nanoha and Fate, while being able to match them.

Also, it's up to her with which rank exams she wants to take. Perhaps she wanted to rank below them, or something. Who knows.

Quote:
I'd like to see an actual SSS one day :O
Reinforce broke the SSS meter. :3
Old 2010-12-09, 14:03   Link #2085
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
I think SSS is more of a theoretical maximum level. I wouldn't be surprised if there were no SSS mages at all. Reinforce One was probably SS, not SSS. Remember, Nanoha, Fate, and the others, were probably not S rank at the time. More like AAA+.
Old 2010-12-09, 14:37   Link #2086
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Reinforce was the accumulated magic of both Nanoha and Fate, and however many other hundreds of magical monsters.

There isn't anyone on the Nanoverse shown, that can hold a candle to Rein I.

She could summon STB in mere seconds and had what was probably an endless supply of magic.
Old 2010-12-09, 14:40   Link #2087
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Reinforce was the accumulated magic of both Nanoha and Fate, and however many other hundreds of magical monsters.

There isn't anyone on the Nanoverse shown, that can hold a candle to Rein I.

She could summon STB in mere seconds and had what was probably an endless supply of magic.
Pretty much, even Unisoned Hayate must go trough chants and invocation while Reinforce I just raises her hand said some words and presto!, but ...there is an official ranking for her?

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Old 2010-12-09, 15:48   Link #2088
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
If Hayate is SS and the least competent in 1v1 of the three aces, then it shouldn't be surprising that Signum is ranked a little below Nanoha and Fate, while being able to match them.
That's what we talked about ITT, Hayate is synthetic SS (supposedly only judged by mana or something), while Nanoha and Fate are Air (or something) S+, which is something you have to take tests for to rise. Remember how Fate fought Chrono so she could earn a higher rank, or how Subaru and Teana did the test in the first episode of StrikerS. In this case, skill actually matters.

And then there's a third one, the Wolkenritter ranks. I wondered how they fit in. Calling them the same as Nanoha and Fate wouldn't be right because it would imply Signum didn't come as far as Nanoha and Fate with her abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
but ...there is an official ranking for her?
Not that I know of, would be cool though. I did make a attribute chart though and, well, made her like this. (Here's the first one, for reference.)

I think it's a good thing that there's no SSS (yet). Even Hayate is "only" synthetic SS, there is no character who has SS as a rank of the type Nanoha and Fate have.

But yes, Reinforce would probably have reached SSS.
Old 2010-12-09, 16:16   Link #2089
aers
*Fansubber

Signum and Vita have the exact same rank classification that Nanoha and Fate do.

That is, they're listed as 空戦 S+, 空戦 S-, 空戦 AAA+, where 空戦 means something like aerial combat or dogfighting. Agito's also falls under this category. Zest/Lutecia's are unknown.

Hayate, Reinforce II, Yuuno, and Shamal are synthesis (総合).

The forwards all get 陸戦 at the start of StrikerS which is ground combat. Later, Caro's actually changes to synthesis (according to the JP wiki).

tl;dr there is no special Wolkenritter ranking thing and Signum & Vita probably just didn't bother taking the tests (or failed).
Old 2010-12-09, 16:46   Link #2090
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

However, theirs are "Midchilda Wizard Rank", while the Wolkenritters are "Old Belka Ritter Rank". I can only guess how they are different from each other.

Basing this on the id cards that were scanned, not exactly sure how "canon" they are, though.
Old 2010-12-09, 17:17   Link #2091
Kallen4life

Quote:
Hayate, Reinforce II, Yuuno, and Shamal are synthesis
so what exactly does synthesis mean with a group like that ? sucking at offence or in 1v1 ?

I think Signum and Vita are the same as Nanoha & Fate classification-wise .. especially Fate - she is ranged and melee, but her device is melee

Quote:
I did make a attribute chart though and, well, made her like this. (Here's the first one, for reference.
you chose the values yourself ? feels like Fate needs a few more points

also, would Rein1 have max agility ?
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Old 2010-12-09, 17:29   Link #2092
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post

also, would Rein1 have max agility ?
Rein is a better tank than Signum, and has more beamspam than Nanoha...Whether she has more agility and speed than Fate...They never showed her doing much movement, since she could just tank everything anyways.
Old 2010-12-09, 21:23   Link #2093
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
However, theirs are "Midchilda Wizard Rank", while the Wolkenritters are "Old Belka Ritter Rank". I can only guess how they are different from each other.

Basing this on the id cards that were scanned, not exactly sure how "canon" they are, though.
They're more of a 'generalised combat application' ranking. Even though Mid-childan magic is presumably practiced by 95% of the magic population, ViviD has shown that not all of them do. It doesn't matter if your magic is Belkan, Mid-childan or some obscure magic from some obscure planet, it doesn't change one's ability to measure combat co-efficiency through use of magic.

The only real dividing factor is whether or not a mage can fly or not, which seems to be a very big divide of talent and aptitude. ( Hayate and Arf for example, can never scale the level of aerial dogfighting. )

If the test were strictly 'evaluation of skill based on specific practiced magic style', I have no doubt Signum would be S+ as a 'Old Belkan Knight.'

But the fact is that 'on paper', she and Vita are ranked lower than Nanoha and Fate in 'Air Combat Ranking' which is somewhat reasonable considering Nanoha and Fate's magical arsenal does seem far more prepared in handling any type of potential combat situation with better efficiency.

Not saying that Signum couldn't handle it anyway, but it's like a race track with many different terrain conditions and curves.

Nanoha's multi-purpose super car ( would be like Mach Go Go Go ) would relatively handle all courses with good track time, averaging to a better lap time, while Signum's more brutish powerful car would probably beat Nanoha at all up-hill and mountain roads, but overall lose out in different tracks like any sharp curves or defensive slow driving.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2010-12-09, 21:37   Link #2094
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
Good thing they DIDN'T fight Precia. According to the booklet in the Bluray box, she was rank SS.
Yep, considering nobody could touch her and she was dying too. As we all know, coughing up blood means you're screwed, yet the nobodies got pwned in a few seconds.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-12-09, 23:14   Link #2095
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Reinforce chanted, just like Hayate did.

My theory is that all magic technically needs a chant, but an Intelligent Device can handle the chanting for you.

Also, mage rank levels have nothing to do with your power; they are a series of tests. You pass the test, you earn the rank, plain and simple. Trying to equate a mage's power with a rank will lead you into contradictions every single time.
Old 2010-12-10, 04:12   Link #2096
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Also, mage rank levels have nothing to do with your power; they are a series of tests. You pass the test, you earn the rank, plain and simple. Trying to equate a mage's power with a rank will lead you into contradictions every single time.
Not exactly. Back in the first show, when Lindy and Chrono were observing the battle between Nanoha and Fate, they said that both girls' power was act least AAA. So power can be measured in ranks.
Old 2010-12-10, 04:19   Link #2097
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
Not exactly. Back in the first show, when Lindy and Chrono were observing the battle between Nanoha and Fate, they said that both girls' power was act least AAA. So power can be measured in ranks.
A rough estimation can always be made through observation of how much power they has and their aptitude at using them. They were evaluated in a combat situation after all. It is just like seeing Hussain Bolt running fast but without having his time officially recorded. People are still able to see skill without officially putting them through the drills.

For example, a 15 years old soccer player with the talent of Pele is seen playing in regular grass fields of amateurs. One won't be able to actually gauge how comparable he is alongside top players without be without official training, practice and play, but someone's exhibition of play, even outside the regular playing fields are more than sufficient to gauge how good someone is.

Nanoha and co. did not go through C, B, A, AA and lower examinations because their overall performance were already judged to be good enough that if they took it, they would clear it without flying colours. Just like how one doesn't take someone young but talented in soccer and ask him to go play in his school club or junior youth team, he'll at the very least be asked to go to the youth nationals or national team directly.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.

Last edited by Nightengale; 2010-12-10 at 04:30.
Old 2010-12-10, 12:01   Link #2098
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Nanoha and co. did not go through C, B, A, AA and lower examinations because their overall performance were already judged to be good enough that if they took it, they would clear it without flying colours. Just like how one doesn't take someone young but talented in soccer and ask him to go play in his school club or junior youth team, he'll at the very least be asked to go to the youth nationals or national team directly.
Agreed, their talent is palpable right from the start(well, Nanoha develops hers a little before meeting the TSAB thanks to Yuuno and Raising Heart xD). also true that Fate and Nanoha superior range over the Belkan Knights can be very probably based on how versatile they are in aerial combat, both have a wide array of spells and variations to attack. While Signum have Laevatein's Schlagenform and Bogenform, it lacks long range on the former and maneuverability/speed on the later ...and Vita, well, fights with a Hammer, so yeah the knights are very strong but they're a lot less flexible on the air than the Aces.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Old 2010-12-13, 01:20   Link #2099
motaku96
もたく

So I finally got around to watching the movie. So here are my (random) thoughts.

Spoiler for Everything in spoilers just in case:
Old 2010-12-13, 01:48   Link #2100
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

>>Nanoha tries to steal a kiss X3

Have to admit, that was the perfect opportunity. Vulnerable Fate was vulnerable.

>>HOLY!! You guys probably noticed already, but I'll say it anyway! Loli wolkenritters at the end!

rofl no, you're the first to bring that up. Albeit, I'd be surprised if that was the directors intention...They do look kinda similar.