AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-01-06, 06:12   Link #1001
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Nar Shaddaa as nuetral (well Hutt) would make sense in lore. It is one of those places you can pretty much get anything....for a price.
Old 2012-01-06, 06:58   Link #1002
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Only MMO I know of that's taken its economy truly seriously is EVE, who actually has a fully trained economist on staff who purely just monitors the games economy.
In addition, EVE has two factors that are a major difference with most MMO's:

1. Damn near everything is made by the players. No l33t raid drops or PvP rewards, but player made. You want something, you're paying another player.

2. The economy is kept alive because when players get shot, they lose their ship, which means they have to buy a new one, which means the demand keeps the supply in check, reducing inflation.

Both are factors that are damn near impossible to implement in an MMO if you're trying to be mainstream.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 07:24   Link #1003
Westlo
Lets be reality

They seriously need to nerf just one thing in this game.

Jo Wyatts voice, way too good!
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 07:58   Link #1004
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
They seriously need to nerf just one thing in this game.

Jo Wyatts voice, way too good!
Their all pretty damn good. Jedi Knight, bounty hunter, Sith Warrior and Trooper are my favorites.
Old 2012-01-06, 08:07   Link #1005
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The bounty hunter voices are the only ones I'm somewhat disappointed with. The female voice is... I don't know how other to describe it than boring. At least on Hutta. The male on the other hand... well, I never got used to the "I BREATHE STEROIDS" voice.

On the bright side, my Sith warrior female makes death threats sound sexy. Hot-damn. The consular male sounds every bit the wise Jedi, the smuggler just radiates smuggness, and you can just hear the efficiency in the Imperial agents voice.
Old 2012-01-06, 08:30   Link #1006
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
The bounty hunter voices are the only ones I'm somewhat disappointed with. The female voice is... I don't know how other to describe it than boring. At least on Hutta. The male on the other hand... well, I never got used to the "I BREATHE STEROIDS" voice.

On the bright side, my Sith warrior female makes death threats sound sexy. Hot-damn. The consular male sounds every bit the wise Jedi, the smuggler just radiates smuggness, and you can just hear the efficiency in the Imperial agents voice.
Hah, thought the same.. you gotta have body type 3 for male BH to sound cool.

Sith warrior male is awesome, he sounds like one of those strategic bad ass villians. and either his good or bad choices sound awesome. can't go wrong with him.
Old 2012-01-06, 11:56   Link #1007
Nixl

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Nixl, you crack me up. You hate the game, but apparently still follow it like a stalker. You're like that person on General Chat that is still on Koriban three weeks later because they're too busy complaining to actually play the game. ;p
You are right about one thing Creb. I hate what Bioware did to Kotor and its story to make room for TOR. However, I like reading through online forums even if I do not play the games. I did the same with Starcraft, Daiblo, Warcraft, WoW, Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, Rift, and now TOR. You can call it a strange hobby, but I find it fun watching how communities debate, react, and even change. Right now TOR's forums has a plurality of views from MMO vets, new MMO players, doomsayers, blatant apologists, and so forth. Mainly the community seems to be battling bugs, especially towards the endgame, a lack of costumer service, and failed expectations. Of course there are those that love game, but what I have been looking for is the response towards those who are dealing with the bugs or are simply having trouble. So far it has been "get out" or "stop speaking."

What interests me most at the moment is that there is a "you are with BW are against BW mentality" at the moment. Take GeLopez's thread on the Flashpoint forum, "An example of how unpolished endgame is."Despite announcing that he will stick around even with the gamebreaking bugs, his concerns were met with players calling him a troll, an idiot, or unrealistic for an MMO to have literally game breaking bugs in its upper levels, 22-23 days after launch. DeLopez wants the game succeed and voiced his concern to help it, but most of the posters simply ignored his plea and attacked him. To me that signals, this is a repeat of Rift, Age of Conan, and Warhammer Online and probably WoW in that you have a group of players so intent on defending a game that is it counter-productive. The question is, who will BW listen to?

Again Creb, while I do despise what TOR stands for, I am here out of curiosity rather than staying on Korriban to whine as you put it. Overall, while it may have helped BW to release during Christmas, I think it has possibly hurt TOR's long term longevity due to issues at endgame. I think Bioware underestimated the speed at which players would reach max level and thus experience the less tested underbelly of TOR. What matters most is how Bioware deals with it in the long term.

Last edited by Nixl; 2012-01-06 at 12:08.
Nixl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 09:53   Link #1008
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

I still take my time with this game.
My Jug is lvl 41 now (uuh final spurt) but I startet to play my Operative more now.
I still think this game needs more work, but I also still think that it's pretty fun.

BW manages to please the community with thier last comming soon patch notes, and even comment more in the boards what they are going to do and what bugs they know about.
All in all I see this as a more positiv thing. Let's hope they keep it up.
Old 2012-01-07, 11:14   Link #1009
Nixl

Based on the last batch of patch notes they do seem to be taking the economy very seriously. I do believe they have finally fixed the infinite commendation bug. Although, it will be interesting to see how fast they can fix bugs versus release content. Personally, I find it worrisome that they are already talking about new raids when the first one is not working correctly. It is hard to tell what are the factors on their end, for example if they are understaffed with programmers, what next and what takes priority?
Old 2012-01-07, 12:06   Link #1010
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

New content was a given. With WoW's vast majority of content, the current generation of MMO gamers has a very different view of how fast content needs to come out and be consumed compared to the pre-WoW generation.

As someone who's not a raider, I couldn't care less about this myself though.
Old 2012-01-07, 12:09   Link #1011
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well one advantage one might have with Star Wars is that it takes place in a large part of an entire Galaxy. You can just add another planet as content.
Old 2012-01-07, 14:41   Link #1012
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I can't think of a reason why my FPS would drop like crazy at random. I run the game on high graphics and get 60FPS flawlessly and then out of no where i get FPS drop spikes. and its making the game annoying to play.
Old 2012-01-07, 14:44   Link #1013
Nixl

Quote:
New content was a given. With WoW's vast majority of content, the current generation of MMO gamers has a very different view of how fast content needs to come out and be consumed compared to the pre-WoW generation.

As someone who's not a raider, I couldn't care less about this myself though.
I kind of agree, yet disagree if that make sense. To me it is sort of like the differences between Vanilla WoW and TOR. Both have pros and cons to them. Vanilla WoW leveling took more time, but was probably more tedious to casual players. That and, raids required 40 people and so it took longer for guilds to find/gear up 40 players. In essence, I think Vanilla WoW had natural speed bumps. Tor on the other hand is far faster and to a degree more on the rails, which definitely makes it more accessible. Furthermore, it is far easier to find 8 or 16 players compared to 40. On the downside a lot more people are reaching max level quickly and experiencing the less tested side of TOR. I guess it is a matter of picking your poison for devs.

Although, WoW, to my memory, launched with both Molten Core and Onyxia at release, although the loot tables were unfinished. I wonder how it compares to Soa/Eternity Vault difficulty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well one advantage one might have with Star Wars is that it takes place in a large part of an entire Galaxy. You can just add another planet as content.
That is true, but I do not think the issue is so much the quantity of content, but rather the quality. I am sure for casual raiders that getting to Soa on nightmare mode will take some time, but from what I have read the bugs are so ridiculous to the point that beating a boss is like a coin toss with certain bugs occurring or not. It simply needs to be fixed before mass consumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
I can't think of a reason why my FPS would drop like crazy at random. I run the game on high graphics and get 60FPS flawlessly and then out of no where i get FPS drop spikes. and its making the game annoying to play.
From what I read you are not the only one, so I do not think it is your rig. In beta I remember some complaints about some poor optimization of the game engine with certain computers. I wish I knew more so that I could help, but ultimately I think it is the engine.

Does it by chance occur during PVP? Because I do remember someone discussing framerate issues once a certain number of other players join the immediate area.
Old 2012-01-07, 17:53   Link #1014
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Nope, mainly in the fleet or flashpoints. and sometime heroics.
Old 2012-01-07, 18:24   Link #1015
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

FPS dropping in fleet might have to do with the client attempting to draw all the players and other models. I know when I go to Fleet and there are 200 people hovering around near the pvp vendors and the like it takes a few moments for everything to pop in and constantly results in stuttering while in the area.

(may also be because I'm running a different game at teh same time on the other monitor... >.>)
Old 2012-01-07, 19:32   Link #1016
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
I kind of agree, yet disagree if that make sense. To me it is sort of like the differences between Vanilla WoW and TOR. Both have pros and cons to them. Vanilla WoW leveling took more time, but was probably more tedious to casual players. That and, raids required 40 people and so it took longer for guilds to find/gear up 40 players. In essence, I think Vanilla WoW had natural speed bumps. Tor on the other hand is far faster and to a degree more on the rails, which definitely makes it more accessible. Furthermore, it is far easier to find 8 or 16 players compared to 40. On the downside a lot more people are reaching max level quickly and experiencing the less tested side of TOR. I guess it is a matter of picking your poison for devs.

Although, WoW, to my memory, launched with both Molten Core and Onyxia at release, although the loot tables were unfinished. I wonder how it compares to Soa/Eternity Vault difficulty.
You have to remember though, players' expectations are not measured by how the game was then, but how the game is now. The new TOR is not compared with vanilla WoW, but with Cataclysm, maybe Wrath by the nostalgia goggles.

Unfair? In a way. But it's a tough world, and Bioware needs to deal with it one way or another. Back before the game was out, there were already grumbles at Eternity Vault being the only raid, and that the game would fail if no new raids were implemented quickly after the game went live.

Two sides to everything.
Old 2012-01-07, 20:40   Link #1017
Nixl

Believe me, I agree with you there, but I do think Vanilla WoW and TOR represent two different styles in regards to leveling that have pros and cons. Of course Wow is an entirely different beast today.
Old 2012-01-07, 23:13   Link #1018
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Well, to be fair, even in Vanilla WoW power-leveling 1-60 was possible to do in a week.

Raids did take longer though. 40 man and random drops drain time like crazy. Though it also helped in that one or two people dieing did not immediately mean raidwipes.

<== Has been a spectator in many, many of his friends MC raids.
Old 2012-01-07, 23:44   Link #1019
Nixl

Quote:
Well, to be fair, even in Vanilla WoW power-leveling 1-60 was possible to do in a week.

Raids did take longer though. 40 man and random drops drain time like crazy. Though it also helped in that one or two people dieing did not immediately mean raidwipes.

<== Has been a spectator in many, many of his friends MC raids.
True that, I wanted the Felheart Horns so damn badly, but no cigar.

Anyways, assuming the TOR forums do not suddenly burst into flames I'll keep reading them. Honesty, I think BW is in a position of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" in regards to PVE content. The rate of max level just put them in a tight spot. Nonetheless, I do think they should have tested out the endgame more. There are bugs and there the game being broken. From what I read, it is the latter.
Old 2012-01-08, 10:43   Link #1020
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Have to also remember, for the time levelling in WoW was quite fast compared to what was already available. (/point @ EQ and other old MMO's)

Tags
bioware, lucasarts, mmorpg, star wars, windows