Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-02-08, 19:22   Link #781
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Johnny 5 View Post
I like it now that season 4 has started. Can someone however please answer the following question:

- Is Major now aired every week? If so on which day?
Yes, it's aired every week on Saturday afternoon.

Quote:
I've been watching this years ago. But it stopped all of sudden during season 2 i believe.
It didn't stop. It's been in near continuous broadcast. Each season is followed by a repeat of the same season before the next season starts after the end of the repeat. So, if you're like me following Major right from the very start of its broadcast, it's been 3+ years now.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 20:04   Link #782
UPR

Quote:
I've been watching this years ago. But it stopped all of sudden during season 2 i believe.
If you are following subs. It may be you thought thatsince subs got behind and were not weekly releases ,but it never stopped, or better yet the series never conclude it just took breaks from season to season instead of putting a bunch of fillers.
Old 2008-02-08, 22:00   Link #783
Major1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
All right - Shimizu sighting (x2)!
Is it just me, or do they both look slightly different than in season 3? I find it strange, since everyone else we've seen who isn't a new character looks more or less the same as at they did at the end of season 3.

I wonder when we'll get to see Toshiya again. Given the rather prominent roles he and Mayamura have in the OP, I have to think the story shifts back to Japan at some point this season.

Spoiler for Spoilers for season 4?:
Major1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 23:59   Link #784
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major1138 View Post
Is it just me, or do they both look slightly different than in season 3? I find it strange, since everyone else we've seen who isn't a new character looks more or less the same as at they did at the end of season 3.

I wonder when we'll get to see Toshiya again. Given the rather prominent roles he and Mayamura have in the OP, I have to think the story shifts back to Japan at some point this season.

Spoiler for Spoilers for season 4?:
Well, clearly some time has passed since the end of S3 and, given that Taiga (unlike Goro and Toshiya did) actually looks his age, a year or so could make quite a difference in his physical appearance.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-11, 17:50   Link #785
Mr. Johnny 5
Konoha's ANBU

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
Yes, it's aired every week on Saturday afternoon.

It didn't stop. It's been in near continuous broadcast. Each season is followed by a repeat of the same season before the next season starts after the end of the repeat. So, if you're like me following Major right from the very start of its broadcast, it's been 3+ years now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPR View Post
If you are following subs. It may be you thought thatsince subs got behind and were not weekly releases ,but it never stopped, or better yet the series never conclude it just took breaks from season to season instead of putting a bunch of fillers.
UPR yes that's the case. Anyway i am very pleased to hear this.

Thanks leongsh and UPR
Old 2008-02-20, 02:41   Link #786
Jarppa

ep 84. was suprising . I really like this anime. Its shame that major manga isnt available at english.
Jarppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 09:01   Link #787
Blaat

New rival is approaching!

4th series is getting more interesting.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-21, 01:31   Link #788
retracnosna

lol, did they have to make gibson junior 'that' big an ass? might as well have given him a moustache and let him twirl the ends. So over-done. Just like that racist character. So over the top lol

glad honda didn't jump right into the majors too. Since he was recently getting crushed all the time by highschool hitters. And wasn't even as good as Toshi or Mayamura
retracnosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-21, 01:41   Link #789
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retracnosna View Post
lol, did they have to make gibson junior 'that' big an ass? might as well have given him a moustache and let him twirl the ends. So over-done. Just like that racist character. So over the top lol
Well, there is a reason as:
Spoiler:
but I'll leave that to the anime series to tell you that and provide more details later on.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-21, 05:37   Link #790
pb07pb

Going back to can a pitcher live on his fastball in the major leagues, I think he can. When Kevin Brown was in his prime he basically just threw a sinking fastball and it was nasty. Yeah he had a decent change up and a weak slider, but it was his fastball that he threw the most. As it goes now Goro has a weak change and weak curve in episode 6 if his fastball really is at such an elite level he would be able to dominate in the majors.

Another thing is Goro is either what 18 or 19 I haven't heard of many pitchers getting to the majors at that age. It takes time for a pitcher to develop. Throwing in the mid 90's is not uncommon in the minor leagues but being able to locate his fastball as good as Goro does at his age is uncommon. If a pitcher of his caliber were to go into the majors right now he would have a Francisco Liriano effect. He would start off pretty strong and probably get hit later when the team see's him a 2nd or third time. Every fastball is different and it would take a few times for a good batter to adjust to the movement of the ball. Mariano Rivera lived on his cut fastball, in his prime he was unhittable.

Hitting a good fastball that moves is not easy even if you know that it is coming the ball can have a rising effect, a sinking effect, a cutting effect. Hitting a ball that goes 85 and does that is hard. Trevor Hoffman who doesn't even throw in the 90's anymore lives on a change up. He pratically only throws that pitch but it moves so much that batter have difficulties hitting it imagine a ball doing the movement of hoffman's ball at 98 mph that is unhittable. The batter doesn't have time to adjust. So what they are portraying Goro to have really is an unhittable pitch in the majors and only a few batters would be able to hit it.
pb07pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-21, 05:47   Link #791
pb07pb

Goro is def better then Toshiya and Mayamura even in high school. Pitching with an injure foot 9 innings takes a toll on you. He stroke out Mayamura and he could barely walk.

By the way it is possible to pitch in such conditions i pitched with a stress fracture in my arm and stroke out the side in high school. Yeah there is pain but the adrenaline kicks in and you don't feel it as much. But with the injury i threw 3 mph less then i usually do.

Goro was not at full strength in any of his high school starts.

Also that was total nonsense and would not happen in real life I do not care how good Kaido is they wouldn't be able to touch a 95 mph fastball that moves like that.
Old 2008-02-21, 06:17   Link #792
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Um. I seriously doubt Goro actually 'beat' Mayumura. Even with Goro's speed, Mayumura put his bat on the ball. Also, Mayumura may match even with Goro's speed and it's without question that Mayumura also has freakish control. Goro basically had no real control over his fastballs even and Mayumura can do pinpoint pitches with curveballs. The difference is just staggering.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-21, 11:22   Link #793
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Um. I seriously doubt Goro actually 'beat' Mayumura. Even with Goro's speed, Mayumura put his bat on the ball. Also, Mayumura may match even with Goro's speed and it's without question that Mayumura also has freakish control. Goro basically had no real control over his fastballs even and Mayumura can do pinpoint pitches with curveballs. The difference is just staggering.
No real control? Were you watching the contest with Sanchez? He was still able to hit the bars 8 out of 10 times. Thats a huge amount of control. And remember what Mayumura said "If I could throw a fastball like that for 9 innings I wouldn't throw breaking balls"

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 06:09   Link #794
pb07pb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles
Mayumura is a great pitcher but his fastball is not the same as Goro's. He was facing a bunch of rookies, ofcourse he is going to do well. I would love to see how Mayumura would fair if the roles were reversed. The fact is while Goro was dead tired, injured and after pitching 12 innings Goro was still able to strike out Mayumura. Give me a break, Mayumura better then Goro? I must be watching a different show.
Old 2008-02-23, 06:29   Link #795
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I'm not downplaying Goro's resolve and his freakish speed really. It's just that head to head, Mayumura never really lost against him. Also, his cold, purely logical demeanor suits the pros better to begin with. I think that could show in later episodes.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 03:27   Link #796
retracnosna

wonder what Toshi's overall batting average is against him. If you went back and watched the episodes where they faced each other

bet it's like 800. Plus a homer every second at-bat

and mayamura is probably not too far behind. Those guys crush goro. At least until the inevitable last atbat where main-character-powers take over and goro wins (if getting hit all over before one dramatic strikeout at the end counts as winning)
retracnosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 01:10   Link #797
Major1138

I think the only time Toshiya's not managed to get a hit against Goro is when they were still on Dream Island back in Season 2 and Goro needed to strike out 9 straight batters or else he'd be cut from the team. He's probably batting .800 or higher against him otherwise.

Is Mayamura a better pitcher than Goro? I think at this point, he's probably more consistent that Goro is - but I get the impression that Goro's "peak" levels of performance are better. In so far as batting goes, I think he's batting something like 0.700 against him (in the game where Goro got shelled in Junior High, he went something like 3 for 3, he got struck out by Goro in the Dream Island vs. Scholarship game, and he went 1 for 2 in Senior High). I don't think Goro's gotten a hit off him other than the one in Seishu vs. Kaido game.
Old 2008-02-26, 08:14   Link #798
thewupk

What did Toshiya do against Goro in the 3rd season? In season one he just had one at bat agaisnt him (that was actually shown) and he went 0-1. In season two he went 2-3 against him in their middle school game plus 0-1 in the practice game on Dream Island.

So 2-5 with a homer through seasons 1 and 2.
thewupk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 21:35   Link #799
Major1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
What did Toshiya do against Goro in the 3rd season? In season one he just had one at bat agaisnt him (that was actually shown) and he went 0-1. In season two he went 2-3 against him in their middle school game plus 0-1 in the practice game on Dream Island.

So 2-5 with a homer through seasons 1 and 2.
Spoiler for Toshiya vs. Goro:

Last edited by Major1138; 2008-02-26 at 21:47.
Old 2008-02-27, 03:44   Link #800
pb07pb

It's very easy to mo down hitters when you only got two pitch two innings and against rookies. It's unfair to measure Goro against Mayumura when Mayumura comes in fresh in the 9th inning and Goro has already throw over 100 pitches with a foot that should have a cast on it.

When Mayumura went 3 for 3 against Goro he had just started pitching lefthanded and had just learned how to make the ball move. At that point Mayumura was better then Goro. We have yet to see a real match up with Goro at full power going against Mayumura. We have also have yet to see a real match up between Toshiya and Goro.

The fact is even Toshiya thought, if Goro was healthy, would of there been mistake pitches? After all, all Toshiya could do was foul off the good pitches Goro was making until he made a mistake and the ball flattened. If his foot was fully healthy can you say those mistakes occur?

The truth is that Mayumura and Toshiya both would have a hard time hitting a healthy Goro. Cause they had a hard time hitting him when he was injured.

Mayumura and Toshiya are great ballplayers that punish mistakes. But when Goro is on and healthy they are forced to foul off the ball and hope for a mistake.

One more thing Goro is still growing as a pitcher Mayumura has been trained so well he probably is a finished product. He will add a few more mph to his FB and that's about it.

Tags
baseball, shounen, sports