AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Can a Man and a Women be Just Friends?
Yes 269 83.02%
No 55 16.98%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-10-06, 12:31   Link #261
Galatea33
the opposing wind

Send a message via Yahoo to Galatea33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Edit....

Of course, me being me, I continued by saying "of course, I'll still keep asking you out anyway, because it's an ego-booster to be seen with eye candy, and because I'm shameless like that".

Suffice to say, she was amused by that.
I'm amazed !!
You did a very cool job !!
Ya, women love it when a guy settle things in a funny & contemplatingly creative way it helps brighten the mood and keeps the good relation

*applause

* Read da sig and do it! Cos' Ophelia says sO
Galatea33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 13:14   Link #262
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Can a man and a woman be just friends? Depends on who you're asking really, and what their opinion is on men/women. From my experience, yes, a man and woman can easily just be friends, and it's actually quite a normal thing. You can have a lot of friends who are guys/girls when you're in school, at work, you may know someone from someplace random, but it's actually pretty normal imho. There is the odd one out that will attract you for one reason or another, of course, but overall, as long as you can view men/women as equal and not just think about sex or going out with someone whenever you see someone of the opposite gender, then it's more than just possible.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 13:17   Link #263
Galatea33
the opposing wind

Send a message via Yahoo to Galatea33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
Can a man and a woman be just friends? Depends on who you're asking really, and what their opinion is on men/women. From my experience, yes, a man and woman can easily just be friends, and it's actually quite a normal thing. You can have a lot of friends who are guys/girls when you're in school, at work, you may know someone from someplace random, but it's actually pretty normal imho. There is the odd one out that will attract you for one reason or another, of course, but overall, as long as you can view men/women as equal and not just think about sex or going out with someone whenever you see someone of the opposite gender, then it's more than just possible.
Strange seeing you're posting here too
Nice comment btw

* Read da sig and do it! Cos' Ophelia says sO
Galatea33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 14:24   Link #264
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I generally take it as a chance to be direct and upfront about it (which apparently amused Narona a fair bit ).
There's a difference between being direct as asking a girl out, and aiming for the girl's lips without any authorization! Just be happy that you tried that on the right girl! Cos it could have ended way worse

Spoiler for .:

Quote:
The problem is not always how "you" see the other person, but also how the people around you see it. For example, when I went shopping with a male friend, the saleswoman thought he was my BF and gave the bill to him.

Last edited by Narona; 2009-10-06 at 14:36.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 14:37   Link #265
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
The problem is not always how "you" see the other person, but also how the people around you see it. For example, when I went shopping with a male friend, the saleswoman thought he was my BF and aimed the bill at him.
Some people are really narrow like that. Best thing to do is to just ignore them since you know the better of it, and hopefully so does he I don't really see the point in wasting time explaining things to people like them tbh.
Old 2009-10-06, 14:41   Link #266
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Some people are really narrow like that. Best thing to do is to just ignore them since you know the better of it, and hopefully so does he I don't see the point in wasting time explaining things to people like them tbh.
Oh, it didn't annoy me at all. It was very funny He freaked out though. I then teased him that he could have paid the bill. That he didn't act like a gentleman. etc. /Evil
Old 2009-10-06, 14:45   Link #267
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Oh, it didn't annoy me at all. It was very funny He freaked out though. I then teased him that he could have paid the bill. That he didn't act like a gentleman. etc. /Evil
LOL This.

Would've been even funnier if the guy played along with the saleswoman and then was like "Haha, no monies for j00"
Old 2009-10-06, 15:05   Link #268
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
LOL This.

Would've been even funnier if the guy played along with the saleswoman and then was like "Haha, no monies for j00"
Well, to be fully honest, it can be kind of annoying, in a sense that since I dislike unclear relationships, that's the kind of situations that might create a misunderstanding.

So that he didn't play along was actually the right thing to do, I think ^^
Old 2009-10-06, 15:15   Link #269
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Well, to be fully honest, it can be kind of annoying, in a sense that since I dislike unclear relationships, that's the kind of situations that might create a misunderstanding.

So that he didn't play along was actually the right thing to do, I think ^^
True, true. I was just joking there iibh. But like I said, best thing to do is ignore them because you know that you and the guy know better than she does and both sides are clear on the relationship whereas other people may not be.
Old 2009-10-06, 15:29   Link #270
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
True, true. I was just joking there iibh. But like I said, best thing to do is ignore them because you know that you and the guy know better than she does and both sides are clear on the relationship whereas other people may not be.
I know you were joking (But even if he had done it like you said, I would not have hated him either because he would have paid ) That day was kind of funny anyway)

I already had this discussion here Talked about it with Daniel.E iirc.

edit: Yeah, it was with Daniel
Old 2009-10-06, 15:35   Link #271
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
I know you were joking (But even if he had done it like you said, I would not have hated him either because he would have paid ) That day was kind of funny anyway)

I already had this discussion here Was with Daniel.E iirc.

This discussion is starting to scare me

One other thing I want to mention is cultural impact. In the west, such as Europe and USA, what I said before is true because we're a lot more liberal and free minded in a sense, but what you said about other people's perspectives had me thinking. If you go out to the Middle East or Asia (not Far East Asia, I'm talking about places like India), it's a completely different story. There's a lot of emphasis there on arranged marriages. I know this because 90% of people I know even here are Indian and a lot of them are already married by arrangement (people even younger than me). In that kind of culture and situation, it's pretty hard for a man and woman to just be friends, especially when pretty much everyone could think they're married if they so much as walk together.
Old 2009-10-06, 15:36   Link #272
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Can a man and a woman just be friends?

My thoughts are yes, they can. My main circle of friends in RL back in high school were largely male, and I loved each and every one of them. It was never more than a platonic, fun kind of friendship, and they were always very supportive of me.

Incidentally, I think being close friends with a guy is slightly harder to do because once that happens... at least in my experience, attraction usually follows. And that doesn't always end very well.

But yes, I think men and women can be friends. Heck, I find guys much easier to hang out with then girls.
Old 2009-10-06, 15:45   Link #273
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Incidentally, I think being close friends with a guy is slightly harder to do because once that happens... at least in my experience, attraction usually follows. And that doesn't always end very well.
Maybe because it's kind of easier to talk about "girl's things" with other girls, rather than with a man.

Clothes, lingerie or coiffures are for example the kind of topics mainly discussed between girls.

Now it can be kind of different if said male friend is homosexual. No possible misunderstandings. So it can be easier to talk about some things.

Quote:
This discussion is starting to scare me
? To avoid any minsuderstanding, I was joking about "because he would have paid" part I want to pay for everything i buy, precisely because imo it could create misunderstandings if i don't. And it would not feel right to let people pay for me.

Quote:
One other thing I want to mention is cultural impact. In the west, such as Europe and USA, what I said before is true because we're a lot more liberal and free minded in a sense, but what you said about other people's perspectives had me thinking. If you go out to the Middle East or Asia (not Far East Asia, I'm talking about places like India), it's a completely different story. There's a lot of emphasis there on arranged marriages. I know this because 90% of people I know even here are Indian and a lot of them are already married by arrangement (people even younger than me). In that kind of culture and situation, it's pretty hard for a man and woman to just be friends, especially when pretty much everyone could think they're married if they so much as walk together.
I see. Well, one of the best things to do when you visit a foreign country is to have some knowledges about the people's culture, and act accordingly to not create any problems, and to not embarass the people you'll meet there.

Last edited by Narona; 2009-10-06 at 16:01.
Old 2009-10-06, 16:00   Link #274
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Maybe because it's kind of easier to talk about "girl's things" with other girls, rather than with a man.

Clothes, lingerie or coiffures are for example the kind of topics mainly discussed between girls.

Now it can be kind of different if said male friend is homosexual. No possible misunderstandings. So it can be easier to talk about some things.
Well, I don't mean those kind of things. I mean things like your likes, your dislikes, what you want to be, your greatest fears and deepest hopes... that's what I meant.
Old 2009-10-06, 16:06   Link #275
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Well, I don't mean those kind of things. I mean things like your likes, your dislikes, what you want to be, your greatest fears and deepest hopes... that's what I meant.
I guessed it, but chose to include common things in my post on purpose because I didn't find any good way of saying it XD But you did it well
Old 2009-10-06, 16:16   Link #276
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
I guessed it, but chose to include common things in my post on purpose because I didn't find any good way of saying it XD But you did it well
Thank you. Honestly, I didn't know how to say it...
Old 2009-10-06, 16:19   Link #277
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
? To avoid any minsuderstanding, I was joking about "because he would have paid" part I want to pay for everything i buy, precisely because imo it could create misunderstandings if i don't. And it would not feel right to let people pay for me.
Lol nah, I got you clear there, I'm just playing around again

Quote:
I see. Well, one of the best things to do when you visit a foreign country is to have some knowledges about the people's culture, and act accordingly to not create any problems, and to not embarass the people you'll meet there.
Yeh, I'm just saying, imagine what it would be like for people in that situation. I only gave one example really, but anything could happen. But yeah, that approach can help to some degree.

Quote:
That's one way to put it. While it's good to have these kind of friendships, there's also the trap that one side will fall for the other (and this happened to me once and it didn't end well ). So yeah, having that kind of friendship can be pretty tricky but still, so long as each side is clear that they're not interested in each other in that way, it's all good.
Old 2009-10-06, 16:56   Link #278
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Lol nah, I got you clear there, I'm just playing around again
Silly you

Quote:
Yeh, I'm just saying, imagine what it would be like for people in that situation. I only gave one example really, but anything could happen. But yeah, that approach can help to some degree.
It's better to be carefull. Then if the people you meet say that you can do things like you normally do, then everything's good
Old 2009-10-06, 19:19   Link #279
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
I already had this discussion here Talked about it with Daniel.E iirc.

Yeah, I still remember that!

Quote:
I also remember reading somewhere that girls are a lot better at being close friends with one another than guys can ever be with other dudes. It said that guys often have this "machoness" barrier that doesn't always let them open up their feelings to other guys and talk about them.

Girls are more open in this regard and share many things between themselves.
Old 2009-10-06, 19:24   Link #280
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
That's one way to put it. While it's good to have these kind of friendships, there's also the trap that one side will fall for the other (and this happened to me once and it didn't end well ). So yeah, having that kind of friendship can be pretty tricky but still, so long as each side is clear that they're not interested in each other in that way, it's all good.
Yeah, I learned that one the hard way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Girls are more open in this regard and share many things between themselves.
Really? My best friends are guys. I don't feel like I relate to my gal pals as well as I do to my guy friends.