AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-04-24, 15:54   Link #1
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Email Not form Google/Yahoo/Hotmail

Good email storage company not form either Google/Yahoo/Hotmail?

Don't mind if i have to pay for it.
Old 2012-04-24, 16:19   Link #2
Random32
Also a Lolicon

What is your problem with GMail/Yahoo/Hotmail? That might help make a more useful set of suggestions for alternatives to them.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 16:42   Link #3
spikexp

opera mail...
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 17:07   Link #4
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
How could there be anything better than Gmail? It's free, it has so much storage that you'll never run out, it's not blocked in any services where they send emails (like hotmail, for example) and it's spam filter is so advanced that you'll never receive any spam on your inbox. Or if you do, you can set out more rules to make sure even that type of spam will never come to your inbox.
Old 2012-04-24, 18:57   Link #5
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
What is your problem with GMail/Yahoo/Hotmail? That might help make a more useful set of suggestions for alternatives to them.
privacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
How could there be anything better than Gmail? It's free, it has so much storage that you'll never run out, it's not blocked in any services where they send emails (like hotmail, for example) and it's spam filter is so advanced that you'll never receive any spam on your inbox. Or if you do, you can set out more rules to make sure even that type of spam will never come to your inbox.
i don't trust google.
Old 2012-04-24, 19:51   Link #6
sa547
*Author

More precisely, the corporations peering into your messages? That seems to be going too far. I've yet to hear an actual issue of privacy violation committed by a free email provider against a user, but I do believe that only a court order would allow a law-enforcement agency to check into someone's email account, and that's not easy.

It used to be that more than 10 years ago, if you have an account from a dial-up ISP, an email account is included with your subscription, along with free webspace. But with telecoms having taken over, my best bet is to find a non-profit group that provides free, non-corporate email accounts.
Old 2012-04-24, 20:08   Link #7
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Hushmail is pretty good, but they will compromise your privacy in various ways if told to do so by the government, so they are only slightly better than the rest.

If you are concerned about privacy, there isn't really an option other than taking encryption into your own hands. You and everyone you email should use GPG or something to encrypt and decrypt each other's emails. GPG has an Outlook plugin and its own email client in GPG4Win install. It's a pain, but if you are concerned about privacy, there really isn't much of a choice.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 21:02   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
Hushmail is pretty good, but they will compromise your privacy in various ways if told to do so by the government, so they are only slightly better than the rest.
If an FBI agent shows up with a warrant, what should the provider do? More importantly, why do you think your mail is so fraught with legal implications that this is even an issue? If you're engaged in activities that are likely to lead to Federal prosecution, you shouldn't be doing it on any public mail system. Nor would I be worrying about the privacy of your email in this case.

The only reasonably private solution is to run your own mail server. All my mail is on a machine in my office and has been for years.

Using a POP3 account is somewhat more private than IMAP, though a less convenient solution. With a POP account your mail is downloaded off the provider's server onto your computer and, unless you specify otherwise, deleted. There will be server logs, of course, with information about senders and recipients, but the actual messages will no longer be present, although there may be backup copies somewhere.

If you're truly concerned about email privacy, use public-key encryption.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 21:09   Link #9
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

nothing illegal but i want get another email help sort some of my marketing stuff. Which might included Client info.
Old 2012-04-24, 21:12   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If you're concerned about protecting the privacy of your business information, you should definitely consider registering a domain and running your own server. Almost any rinky-dink computer can be turned into a mail server by installing a Linux distribution and following one of the hundreds of tutorials on the subject on the Web. Citadel gets good reviews for being easy to set up and administer.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote