AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-11-03, 11:22   Link #21
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I have a nude daki of Rei in my room....that is nothing....

It's your room....you are not obliged to respond to anyone who insults you
Old 2012-11-03, 12:37   Link #22
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Is there something wrong with a man openly displaying his heterosexuality with a G-rated poster of a beautiful female character he's attracted to?

To be honest, I'd find it more strange if the owner of the poster was female, although I wouldn't object to it.

Also, please don't hotlink next time. Use Imgur or another filehost instead.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 18:45   Link #23
Soverence

Not really sure why you think there is anything wrong with it, walls are meant to be covered with posters after all

But yeah, nothing weird about that, I have seen crazier posters on my friends walls before and no one seems to care so, go put it up!
Soverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 19:13   Link #24
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdennis007 View Post
Slap a couple of sports posters around it and no one will notice or even care.
This is good advice, at least as long as you like sports.

Having a touch of "eccentricity" next to "normal" things just makes for an interesting balance and contrast.

It's only if your room is loaded with nothing but anime/anime-related imagery that (most) people will think you're weird.
Old 2012-11-03, 19:16   Link #25
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Is there something wrong with a man openly displaying his heterosexuality with a G-rated poster of a beautiful female character he's attracted to
Some random person might see it as a man displaying his bestiality fetish by having a poster of a furry
Old 2012-11-03, 19:31   Link #26
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It's only if your room is loaded with nothing but anime/anime-related imagery that (most) people will think you're weird.
Indeed, and it would probably be at least a little off-putting for most people to walk into a room completely covered in posters and filled with paraphernalia of any singular topic. It signifies a certain obsessiveness that few people can identify with. And if the images and items happen to all be of something they're not even familiar with (or might have misconceptions about), then all the more-so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Some random person might see it as a man displaying his bestiality fetish by having a poster of a furry
I realize your comment is tongue in cheek, but I have to wonder; would people react like that to moderate "furry" features such as the ones Holo possess if they hadn't seen anything like it before? I'm too "inside the bubble" at this point to really tell.
Old 2012-11-03, 20:06   Link #27
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Indeed, and it would probably be at least a little off-putting for most people to walk into a room completely covered in posters and filled with paraphernalia of any singular topic. It signifies a certain obsessiveness that few people can identify with. And if the images and items happen to all be of something they're not even familiar with (or might have misconceptions about), then all the more-so.
Right. Most people are put off by the image of obsessiveness moreso than they are of any one particular interest/entertainment form. A couple anime posters next to a couple sports posters probably won't cause your average person to even bat an eyelash (unless the anime posters are extreme furry hentai or something like that ). But if your room is a veritable shrine to any one particular thing (even if that thing is sports, as mainstream as it is), it'll get people raising eyebrows.

Quote:
I realize your comment is tongue in cheek, but I have to wonder; would people react like that to moderate "furry" features such as the ones Holo possess if they hadn't seen anything like it before? I'm too "inside the bubble" at this point to really tell.
Good point. I actually think someone totally ignorant of anime would assume the Holo poster to be just a nice piece of artwork. Honestly, it's one of the safer pieces of anime artwork you could go with as a bedroom poster, imo.
Old 2012-11-04, 18:27   Link #28
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

It's Holo, so it is automatically not weird and perfectly acceptable!

In fact, I would be uneasy if you were to hide it from view.
Old 2012-11-04, 18:40   Link #29
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

I wouldn't think it's weird at all. What I'm actually finding weird in my case is that I have no posters at all in my room (the owners of the house forbid me to put up any "to keep the walls clean from tape marks etc."). I'd love to have anime posters in my room, so put yours up for the sake of us out there who can't put up any.

That said, my entire figurine collection and its respective colorful boxes are all arrayed in my room. I even have an oppad as my mousepad but nobody gives me any flak about all these - and I'm not hearing any comments from my family about weird stuff in my room. But posters? Can't have 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajura View Post

We were waiting for you to post in this thread.
Old 2012-11-04, 18:40   Link #30
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
You're describing a hikkikomori's room, yes? I'd definitely agree that once you reach those levels, people will definitely question many things. I should upload recent pictures of my room at some point though; even this anime-depraved community has no problems with it.

Quote:
I think the whole "furries" thing has been blown up ridiculously on the internet, and as such people may react in the wrong way, yes. It's become a derogatory term to anyone that voices certain types of personal opinion, and it'd easily transition incorrectly into real life. However, anyone with a semblence of understanding of what happens in anime will probably have no problem with it.

And hey, do as I do if someone questions it- answer them! Put on your game face and don't be afraid to add a little something that might interest them as well. What you should never do is push someone into liking something though.
Old 2012-11-04, 21:13   Link #31
broken270
Defying gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajura View Post

Indeed, we were waiting for your voice to be heard.

Your poster is not weird at all, and it is a very nice-looking poster, too. You should hang it up.
broken270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 18:33   Link #32
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
In all seriousness, I feel a generic "Be yourself" won't be sufficient. People don't mean ill will when they judge you. They have only their learning and experience to guide themselves on and have an idea of what is supposed to be "proper". Requiring them to accept you would take time and interest, which unless they are close relatives or friends, they wouldn't give you more than the most superficial hints of tolerance. Thus, no, you can't be whatever you want whenever you want, because it's much more easier to regulate yourself then to expand the minds of others. Unfortunate, but that's how it goes.

However, this is your own room, outside the public domain. If you can't be free here, then you can't be free anywhere else. I also assume that people you let into your room will understand you more, and you can adjust as needed.

As for everyone else; well, if they wanted to not like you, nothing will change. They'll find a reason to not like you anyways. But that's okay; most of the people you come across you have no use for, and acting socially acceptable is simply the tool we need to get whatever use we have from those that aren't willing to accept you for who you are. None of that applies when you're in your own room. They can go back to their own room and fuck themselves. (which they will, most likely to 2-d pictures of "real" people but it's still an image )

Tl;dr Let the willfully ignorant remain ignorant. Truth to them would be like poison, and it's not up to you to compensate for what they lack.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 18:33   Link #33
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
What's the limit of the number of posters you can hang up in your room though?
Old 2012-11-05, 19:00   Link #34
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
You're describing a hikkikomori's room, yes? I'd definitely agree that once you reach those levels, people will definitely question many things. I should upload recent pictures of my room at some point though; even this anime-depraved community has no problems with it.
Some of those people would likely epitomize those single-minded hives of obsessiveness , but a strong, focused presence of any sort of fandom in a room will likely have people who see it making snappy judgments, whether they be positive or negative. I agree that it's best not to let that sort of thing bother you, but you have to keep it in mind and be ready for it when you choose how to decorate your humble abode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
What's the limit of the number of posters you can hang up in your room though?
Depends how big your room is! ^^
Old 2012-11-05, 19:19   Link #35
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:

Depends how big your room is! ^^
Lol is that a seal of approval to wallpaper a room with anime posters xD
Old 2012-11-05, 19:30   Link #36
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with that poster: I asked around, and it seems perfectly fine. Some of my friends (who aren't familiar with anime) said it was cool I'm sure there's going to be little flak from this poster: there are more questionable things out there that I shan't discuss.
Old 2012-11-06, 00:29   Link #37
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

No, no no you disgusting people.
Walls of a man accept nothing but metal band posters and playboy pin-ups, SHEESH.

Haven't you people learned ANYTHING from the 80s teen movies!?

Sports posters are for jocks, video game posters are for nerds, and anime posters are for pedos. Obviously.

*hides his glass displays full of figures*
........... Figures don't count!
Old 2012-11-06, 01:18   Link #38
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmosher65 View Post
Im looking to decorate my room a little bit and i want to buy a poster like this
http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl...26%252Bwolf%25
Do you think that would be weird for a guy to have in his room?
My basic answer is no ... its pretty innocuous for a poster (Horo in a wheat field fully clothed). No more so than having any other cartoon or comic poster. The story is even pretty safe -- merchant encounters a demi-goddess in his travels, he helps her in her quest to return home.
Old 2012-11-06, 03:02   Link #39
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

I have several Touhou wallscrolls, and a large display of figures, and I don't care if people see it. Not that I really need to worry about that since I live on my own and don't have random strangers coming in to my house, let alone my room.

If you do have people visiting, they're going to be a stranger or family, in which case who cares about their opinions, or a friend, which can be replaced if they don't take kindly to your hobbies. It's a non-issue.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-12, 18:12   Link #40
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

go for it! hell I have a full scale Nami scroll hanging from my window which is of just her in a bikini.