AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-02-25, 12:32   Link #1
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Capitalization Anime Titles

So what do you generally do when writing the title of series (and songs, etc)? Assuming you aren't lazy and just don't capitalize anything, what words do you choose to capitalize?

Do you capitalize every word? (Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni)
Or ignore the particles? (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni)
What about the longer particles? (Shinsekai Yori vs Shinsekai yori)
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 12:44   Link #2
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

well i capitalize the starting of the title,capitalize the main words, and keep the particles in small,
for eg: Daily Lives of High School Boys, The Lies of Locke Lamora
Old 2013-02-25, 13:18   Link #3
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Capitalize the main words, ignore the particles unless the title states otherwise, and abbr. everything else.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 13:25   Link #4
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I'll usually go by shorthand, for one thing.

So, with your Higurashi example, I just call it... Higurashi. If I want to refer specifically to the 2nd season alone, I'll call it "Higurashi Kai". If I want to refer specifically to the 1st season alone, I'll call it "Higurashi's 1st Season". Yes, writing all that out is easier to me than remembering all those littler particles in Higurashi's title.

But on those occasions when I can't really dismiss the particles (such as with Shinsekai Yori), my personal rule is 'if the particle is 3 or more letters long, it gets capitalized; less than 3 letters long, it doesn't get capitalized'.

My biggest problem with anime title names is wondering at times how to handle those sometimes pesky exclamation marks. Writing "K-On!!" in the middle of a sentence kind of looks wrong to me (i.e. having exclamation marks in the middle of a sentence). At the same time, ending off a sentence with "K-On!!" makes it seem like I'm really shouting the entire sentence that "K-On" is in, lol. I still haven't made up my mind as to the best way to refer to "Little Busters!".
Old 2013-02-25, 13:34   Link #5
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
^Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? seems to question itself too. :3

I usually try to put grammar titles before the end of the sentence or if I can't be bothered to I just italicize or bold the title. When formatting isn't an option you just need to be a little more creative. "Speaking of which, Little Busters! is just about finished so it's time I get to that..."

Like that.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 13:56   Link #6
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto View Post
^Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? seems to question itself too. :3

I usually try to put grammar titles before the end of the sentence or if I can't be bothered to I just italicize or bold the title. When formatting isn't an option you just need to be a little more creative. "Speaking of which, Little Busters! is just about finished so it's time I get to that..."

Like that.
Busters or Little or LB or Loli-Loli Hunters.
Old 2013-02-25, 15:23   Link #7
GDB

Quote:
Capitalize the main words, ignore the particles unless the title states otherwise, and abbr. everything else.
This, for the most part.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 16:17   Link #8
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Exclamation marks uggh.

I find that when you italicize or quote them it makes it a bit more flowing.

Quote:
K-On! is an excellent anime
K-On! is an excellent anime
"K-On!" is an excellent anime
As for ending sentences with titles with exclamation marks, if you add a period to the end, the italics version looks pretty okay, though, the quotes aren't as nice imho.

Quote:
An excellent anime is K-On!.
An excellent anime is "K-On!".
I generally prefer to leave exclamation/question marks out unless I'm intentionally giving full series names. Except they are sorta necessary for some series like Negima!/!? and K-On!/!!. Then again you could always go K-On S1/S2.

Quote:
Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka?
Any particular reason for capitalizing "ka," but not "wa" ?

Also, more questions, maybe a bit more about romanization in general rather than just titles but,
ha vs wa, wo vs o, etc.
how do you handle mini yx sounds (Nichijou vs Nichijyou vs Nichizyou)
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 19:34   Link #9
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
Also, more questions, maybe a bit more about romanization in general rather than just titles but,
ha vs wa, wo vs o, etc.
how do you handle mini yx sounds (Nichijou vs Nichijyou vs Nichizyou)
Personally, I prefer to stick with Hepburn as much as possible in almost all cases. So, Nichijou as opposed to the others.

As for the capitalization, I prefer to not capitalize particles. Sometimes I might not capitalize certain other grammatical constructs, like "desu" or "demo". For example, "Kore wa Zombie desu ka?" (Debatable if it should be "desuka" in this case.) I also did "Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!" I've seen some other sites follow the same rule.

That aside, sometimes I'm undecided about the "he" and "wo" particles, and it seems I'm not alone on that. Looking at my history, I've generally tended to write them out as above, rather than following the revised Hepburn rule of "e" and "o". That said, I do use the modified rule for "n", as I think most do. (Basically, I guess I just write out each kana in romaji.)

And, for what it's worth, I dislike macrons, so always write the long vowels out.

I'm not sure if any of this is all that important unless you're maintaining some sort of a database (which I do) or you just like having personal standards... but there you go.
Old 2013-02-26, 00:02   Link #10
RJ TAYLER

Sometimes the options are not there case in point CLANNAD.
Old 2013-02-26, 00:38   Link #11
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
Mine is Shin Sekai Yori.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-27, 02:33   Link #12
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
So what do you generally do when writing the title of series (and songs, etc)? Assuming you aren't lazy and just don't capitalize anything, what words do you choose to capitalize?

Or ignore the particles? (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni)
I believe the standard in publishing is to only capitalize the first word -- at least, that's how I typically see it on copyright pages and bibliographies -- but I think that looks silly, so I just follow the same rule as in English and leave anything equivalent to a preposition, article or conjunction uncapitalized unless it's at the beginning or end of a sentence (so it'd be Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni).
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-27, 12:54   Link #13
The Butcher
Butchered Taste

I just write it the English way or Japanese translated way.

Whichever I feel like at the time.
The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 21:04   Link #14
Kudryavka

I personally refrain from capitalizing particles in titles (no, ni, wa, de etc.). But because there is no capitalization in Japanese I think there is no surefire right way to do it. So however you want to do it is not objectionable, even all lowercase imho. If you want to be correct all you can really do is apply your language's rules onto it the best you can. Or type it in Japanese

As for to call it by translated name or Japanese name, I just follow what the fandom does I'm not sure how it is decided what to call shows, sometimes the translated name gets popular and sometimes the original Japanese name gets popular.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote