AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Little Busters

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-10-13, 12:20   Link #501
Crashmaking Zoomatic
Umu.

Honestly, I don't find it as strange of an addition. I think Rin is a far more compelling character in the anime, at this point, than in the game, where she came off a little -too- dense (and never seemed to get all that much better...). Rin is definitely jealous, but I think that's perfectly natural. I think that Rin always -has- loved Riki, but not in a romantic way because she doesn't get romance, and still doesn't. But even if she doesn't completely get it, I don't find it all that surprising that she's finding herself annoyed with Riki's affections for Kurugaya.

I don't even think -she- knows why she's annoyed, and I find that to be a very nice growth for her character. And as far as not being jealous of the other heroines, there was no overt 'let's get you to confess to ____' or any hints of affection from Riki's side. Rin wouldn't really catch any of the more subtle showings...

And as far as Refrain goes, even if she has leveled up a lot, Rin2's end will still show how easy it is to cut her back down to size, so regardless, she'll be brought back to the same level, so I don't mind. I think this is a good way to make Rin more of a -character-, since really, she got kind of shafted majorly in the game. Did she develop? Yeah...but she was still super clueless by the end of Refrain, so eh. Different strokes for different folks?
Old 2013-10-13, 12:27   Link #502
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I don't see that as "growth" at all, because it has nothing to do with Rin's dealing with the outside world, period.
If anything, it just define her character more on something "usual" than really her own character established in the original story.

The very point for Rin wasn't the fact that Riki was being "stolen" away by other girls whatsoever, but that she and Riki are relying too much on the guys as a comfort zone. The very fact Rin is jealous doesn't really correlate that well with her core issue at hand, hence why I made such comment.

Rin2 is the perfect example that she needs more than just Riki: the LB as a whole, and her route and refrain are pretty obvious in the message that romance isn't what she needs, at all.
And suffice to say, the scene made her concern more about Riki being with Yuiko, instead of hanging around Komari & co. And I believe -that- scene in refrain is enough to illustrate that Rin fare much better without romantic love at all. If anything, she needs her friends, to which Kyousuke had to deal with otherwise she wouldn't be able to handle IRL.
Old 2013-10-13, 13:19   Link #503
MCAL

I don't see how Rin potentially being jealous takes away from her character though. It adds a separate dimension to her, but it still doesn't take away what her main problem is at all. All this has done will make the inevitable Rin's "Let's go out" confession less cringe-worthy.

Also, what if it is not about jealousy at all? What if she simply disapproved of Kyousuke forcing his plan onto Riki. Just because Riki reacted to Rin's death stare, doesn't mean it was directed at him.

Honestly, I can't see this as anymore than a positive result. Rin had no character in the VN to begin with, so something needs to happen to make her a believable character.

EDIT: Plus, Rin's reactions took like 30 seconds of the episode and people are acting like she has hijacked the entire arc, when it still is about Kurugaya and her problems.

Last edited by MCAL; 2013-10-13 at 13:39.
Old 2013-10-13, 13:49   Link #504
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

^ It shift the focus of Rin's issue in general.
The problem I always mentioned back in S1 is still the same: Rin and Riki are way too "strong" as far as the story goes, so the moment shit hits the fan, their despair won't be really as intense as before because before Rin2/Refrain, both of them were still too naive with their comfort zone, which isn't really the case with the current state of the anime.

Rin being jealous doesn't change her character in a fundamental basis, but it brings an issue: instead of being awkward with other people, she is getting uneasy with Riki being close with other girls, to which doesn't help at all the romance portion.
You don't make someone jealous out of the blue to point out a possible attraction. Instead, if they really wanted to drive the romance between Riki and Rin, they should have made Rin interacts more with Riki in such regards (like the cats and Lenon for instance).

Instead, we got "Rin is jealous" out no nowhere despite Rin is -not- the kind of character that would be trouble with her own feelings. She is a pretty straightforward girl who just can't handle strangers, that's all there is to it.
In term of character consistency, it just doesn't make much sense to have Rin being jealous at this point of the story.

And I really don't get where you got the impression that people thought it "hijacked the whole arc" from. I'm more concerned about Rin's characterization in the long run, instead of thinking Yuiko's arc has got hi jacked.
Old 2013-10-13, 13:52   Link #505
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Rather than jealously, I saw it as Rin just being confused about her emotions. She feels something and doesn't know how to deal with it. That is how I saw it.
Old 2013-10-13, 14:01   Link #506
MCAL

Was just about to say something to that extent. Yeah... So, looking at it that way, we can simply interpret it as Rin's growing potential feelings for Riki making it believable on the romance side of things (She isn't jealous, just emotionally confused) and still not disrupt her main problem.

Last edited by MCAL; 2013-10-13 at 16:35.
Old 2013-10-13, 17:42   Link #507
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Does anyone remember Rin's reactions in other routes?
I really felt her "jealousy" extremely odd and shoehorned in refrain ep2, and it isn't like she would see any deep meaning in the fireworks to begin with.

It is pretty much like in S1 though: Rin's current state will be complicated for Refrain, considering she "leveled up" way too much.
I agree. I've always had a soft spot for characters like Rin, so I got the habit of focusing on her during group interactions to see what kind of reactions she makes to the topics at hand. Needless to say, I was pretty damn surprised when her apparent jealously was actually focused upon.
Given how dense/naive she is when it comes to love, I felt that it was a very strange and out of character way for her to act...especially when we consider that technically we aren't in Refrain territory yet.
Old 2013-10-13, 18:04   Link #508
MCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Faith View Post
I agree. I've always had a soft spot for characters like Rin, so I got the habit of focusing on her during group interactions to see what kind of reactions she makes to the topics at hand. Needless to say, I was pretty damn surprised when her apparent jealously was actually focused upon.
Given how dense/naive she is when it comes to love, I felt that it was a very strange and out of character way for her to act...especially when we consider that technically we aren't in Refrain territory yet.
Like we said above, I think it has more to do with being unable to understand what she was feeling and not jealousy.

Also, she could simply be disapproving of Kyousuke forcing his plans onto Riki if the idea of Rin actually feeling something is unacceptable.

Last edited by MCAL; 2013-10-13 at 18:28.
Old 2013-10-13, 18:16   Link #509
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I think it goes without saying that Rin's character is a little bit different from her VN counterpart. If our interpretation is that VN Rin wouldn't do so such and such necessarily, then sure you might be right. But this isn't VN Rin. JC Staff have gone to great lengths to make Rin a more well rounded character with much more development than in the VN (Something I think that does not get appreciated enough in the anime, despite some of its faults). In the context of the anime, Rin's character development seems more natural and her random confession won't be so cringe worthy IMO.

Also, I am not sure why we are so concerned about Rin's breakdown in Rin 2. I think the notion of power levels is a bit misguided since anime Rin is still very shy, despite everything. Moreover, once she's removed from the little busters, she will still encounter this situation where she doesn't have the original little busters to help her get more friends. I don't think anything the anime has done will change that.

As an aside, I remember one of the most pathetic things to me about Rin was the farewell scene in Refrain. She's practically sitting there like a retard, not even realizing what's going on. She wasn't involved in that whatsoever. That was awkward and really stupid in hindsight.
Old 2013-10-13, 18:33   Link #510
Crashmaking Zoomatic
Umu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
As an aside, I remember one of the most pathetic things to me about Rin was the farewell scene in Refrain. She's practically sitting there like a retard, not even realizing what's going on. She wasn't involved in that whatsoever. That was awkward and really stupid in hindsight.
I was going to bring this up, but I forgot. I reaaaally didn't like her role there. I get that it's supposed to be the 'parting of the boys', but...come on. Rin is one of the original members too, and she was just so awkward standing there and being like "durr, what's going on guys...". So I really hope they do something about it. I'd like if Kyousuke directly, you know, addressed his sister too. Not just Riki. I didn't really feel like Rin got that much stronger by the end of the game, compared to Riki, so I would love if they could do more with that. In the normal end, she was still being taken care of at the end of the day, but by Riki this time, but I digress. But yeah, I guess it would be a good idea to separate anime Rin and game Rin into two different entities, with different experiences overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikiri
Rin2 is the perfect example that she needs more than just Riki: the LB as a whole, and her route and refrain are pretty obvious in the message that romance isn't what she needs, at all.
The whole point of Refrain, to me, seemed to be that you needed to move on through the hard times and be strong enough to do so, so I felt like it was counterproductive in the end that Rin still needed someone in her life, be it just Riki or all of her friends. I would have really liked to see Rin standing on her own two feet at some point in the game, but that never really happened. Overcoming the difficulties in life seemed to be the whole message, and while I think Riki was able to do it, Rin still kind of always just seemed to be tagging along. I guess I just wish that they did more with her character, and I'm hoping to see a little more in the anime. But I totally agree that she doesn't need a romantic interest. A relationship with Rin would be far too co-dependent, and as I said before, she'd need to be able to stand on her own two feet before that, I think.

My main point is, I guess, that even if it's not exactly like the game, I like where they're going here, haha. But I've always liked it when adaptations actually...adapted the material to the new medium, rather than try to be "Little Busters the Visual Novel the Anime"!
Old 2013-10-14, 02:31   Link #511
Excorsism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Yeah... I found that scene particularly jarring as I was expecting for some actual sibling bonding between Rin and Kyousuke. I didn't get any.
Old 2013-10-14, 10:54   Link #512
novalysis

At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if it was revealed that this is actually a world re-created again after Riki failed the rescue.
Old 2013-10-14, 13:47   Link #513
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel

I don't like how they handled Rin in this episode, to be honest. Particularly, the jealousy. I don't want love triangles in my Little Busters! D:

Granted, I'll wait for episode 3 to see how they handle the setup for Rin1, but I'm not entirely sure how I'll like it. I'm a little uneasy. They really need to hit it home that "Rin in her current state cannot function without the Little Busters". It shouldn't be a big problem with the school transfer part, but still.
Old 2013-10-14, 16:15   Link #514
MCAL

Why do people keep thinking they are going for a love triangle angle? Especially considering how Kurugaya's route ends... It was just to show Rin may feel something for Riki and nothing more.
Old 2013-10-19, 16:00   Link #515
Snuffle
likes cute things

[mod edit: This got moved from another thread, due to the comment at the end.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Refrain will indeed be 13 episodes, but EX will come as extras on the Refrain BDs, for a total of 8 episodes (last BD volume will have two EX episodes).

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-game-ex-anime
From the link:
Visual Art's Blu-ray Disc game Nishizono Mio Misshitsu Satsujin Jiken? (Mio Nishizono's Locked-Room Murder Case?)

The heck is this? lol Mio is getting her own mini game? Sounds amusing.

Well since Anego's route just finished at episode 3, and I'm guessing 3 for Rin (I barely remember how this route goes, besides the end), Refrain will have 7 episodes to work with which sounds possible to me.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-10-19 at 16:20.
Old 2013-10-19, 16:32   Link #516
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

To begin with, Refrain can be compressed into 6 episodes. It is really short and doesn't need a slow build up if you start right after Rin2 anyway. That's why I don't get why people expected 26 episode just for Yuiko, Rin and Refrain and that was before EX was announced.
In fact, it should have been reworked so the extra episode would be allocated to the first "season" considering how the common route and some heroines got shafted.
Old 2013-10-19, 22:44   Link #517
AP24

Kurugaya's arc in the anime just ended. One of the the few things that JC Staff did right on the anime adaptation was the order of the arcs. They did right in ordering all the heroine's arcs in the anime based on the amount of hints in each arc on the "truth" revealed in Refrain.

In the first season Komari, Mio and Haruka's arcs were shown first because they pretty much had no hints on the "truth" at all. Then Kud's arc was the last to shown in the first season since it had some little hint.

Yuiko and Rin's arcs are part of the Refrain season because they had the most hints on the truth revealed in Refrain compared to all the other heroine's arcs. Rin's arc had more hints on the truth than Yuiko's arc and so Yuiko's arc was shown first and then Rin's arc is the last one before Refrain. Rin's arc contain the most important clues on the truth so the arc could be 4 episodes instead of 3 episodes just like all the other heroine's arcs.
Old 2013-10-20, 00:05   Link #518
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel

"You must protect Rin."

Kurugaya's arc is centrally tied to Refrain, but I didn't think they'd actually use that reference so early
Old 2013-10-20, 07:17   Link #519
hoshino_crimsonwings

Well that was short, the beloved big sister's arc is gone just like that?
Old 2013-10-20, 07:53   Link #520
Aspirety
Voyager Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
"You must protect Rin."

Kurugaya's arc is centrally tied to Refrain, but I didn't think they'd actually use that reference so early
It was a lot more blatant here, but in Kid's arc she talked about needing to help Riki and Rin, so this isn't the first time they've done this.