Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-02-01, 14:57   Link #421
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
I find that terrible, because then on a day when for example your internet isn't working you cannot even play the game because you can't log in. At least it isn't as bad as the latest Settlers, my friend has it and witht he previous provider and housemates here he would get kicked out of the game for not having a stable internet connection even when playing offline.
If your internet isn't working on a day, then you still have five days of play before the next checkup is due.

As far as DRM's go, this one is pretty tame. Seriously, how many gamers aren't connected to the internet 24/7? A quick server checkup is nothing.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 18:45   Link #422
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
If your internet isn't working on a day, then you still have five days of play before the next checkup is due.

As far as DRM's go, this one is pretty tame. Seriously, how many gamers aren't connected to the internet 24/7? A quick server checkup is nothing.
5 days is not bad indeed. I wa shaving bad flashbacks to my friend int he room next to me, it wasn't much about not having internet all the time but when other people were online as well and the connection sometimes limited (this is fixed now after switching providers) then the whole checking would simply say it wasn't possible. But then again the Settler game has a lot of bugs concerning the whole "is your game legal or not" section :/ it's insane.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 18:54   Link #423
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by triskelion View Post
If I buy the retail version, does that mean I have to make an account with EA for the DRM thing?

Or can I register it to Steam when I'm installing it so it checks with that instead?
If you've played either DAO or ME2 with DLC, chances are your already have an EA account. (BioWare Social Account and EA Account are the same thing)

Don't see what the fuss is all about.

"I want 20 megs more required RAM usage because I'd rather avoid authenticating my game online every 1-3 months."

Kind of silly if you ask me. This DRM is pretty damn tame, it's basically just DAO's and ME2's DRM but remove the disc check and add a need to go online every once in a while. Besides, the guys as BioWare did mention that they do have a sunset plan in place where eventually the required online check will be removed with a patch later on.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 19:37   Link #424
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah I don't really care too much about it. Pretty sure I'm not going to be out of internet for over 5 days at a time. I'm still more focused anyways on the time left between now and the game actually coming out.
Old 2011-02-01, 20:34   Link #425
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

This DRM isn't so much the issue with Dragon Age 2, but more so of the fact that the game has to pre-ordered to come with all the extra in-game stuff like items and bonus characters without extra charges.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 20:49   Link #426
Tokkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
This DRM isn't so much the issue with Dragon Age 2, but more so of the fact that the game has to pre-ordered to come with all the extra in-game stuff like items and bonus characters without extra charges.
... Wait, what? What does that have to do with the discussion on DRM? I pre-ordered way back in October, didn't really care about DRM at the time. All I know is that no company other than Ubi Soft is stupid enough to try the Ubi Soft approach. I mean, EA did do something similar to the Ubi Soft method with C&C4, but that was because they were trying to do something MMO-ish with C&C4 (and it didn't matter anyway, C&C4 sucks).
Old 2011-02-01, 21:03   Link #427
Key Board
Carbon

The preorder things is to discourage the sale of used game

pre-order codes only work once

I don't like it that much either, but it's a reality we have to accept

I took advantage of this deal so I only had to play $30, but otherwise I would have never bothered making a preorder

http://livingsocial.com/deals/21336-...-com-gift-card
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 21:17   Link #428
Irkalla
I asked for this

Anybody else disappointed by the so called big announcement for today? From all the things they could have revealed, they go and announce dragon age legacy closed beta, dude wat, we already knew about that!!!
Old 2011-02-01, 21:55   Link #429
Who

Personally... not really. I'm more annoyed by the fact no one's gifting me a ring I need in DAL.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 22:39   Link #430
triskelion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
If you've played either DAO or ME2 with DLC, chances are your already have an EA account. (BioWare Social Account and EA Account are the same thing)
Never played them yet. My copy of DAO is at a friends house waiting for me to pick up.
triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 22:47   Link #431
Who

Correction:
http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/gamestopdemo

February 23rd.
Old 2011-02-01, 23:21   Link #432
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
... Wait, what? What does that have to do with the discussion on DRM? I pre-ordered way back in October, didn't really care about DRM at the time. All I know is that no company other than Ubi Soft is stupid enough to try the Ubi Soft approach. I mean, EA did do something similar to the Ubi Soft method with C&C4, but that was because they were trying to do something MMO-ish with C&C4 (and it didn't matter anyway, C&C4 sucks).
Nothing, I'm just expressing a personal opinion.

Dealing with DRM nowadays is pretty much the norm, so it's fine so long as they don't pull some crazy stuff like what Ubisoft did. But I never felt it right for pre-orders to come with the full-game experience, especially when the dateline for the pre-orders are before any demos are released.

We can't get a first-hand experience beforehand to decide whether or not we'll enjoy DA2, and assuming we do, by then, you'll have to pay extra ( based on what Bioware implied in their promotions, a whole $20 more ) to get the 'complete' version.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 23:24   Link #433
triskelion
*Fansubber

I don't even know if I should pre-order this game anymore, or just wait until it's released on March 8th. :/
Old 2011-02-01, 23:32   Link #434
Tokkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Nothing, I'm just expressing a personal opinion.

Dealing with DRM nowadays is pretty much the norm, so it's fine so long as they don't pull some crazy stuff like what Ubisoft did. But I never felt it right for pre-orders to come with the full-game experience, especially when the dateline for the pre-orders are before any demos are released.

We can't get a first-hand experience beforehand to decide whether or not we'll enjoy DA2, and assuming we do, by then, you'll have to pay extra ( based on what Bioware implied in their promotions, a whole $20 more ) to get the 'complete' version.
I don't know what's so "full game experience" about these extra items. Terminus and Inferno armors in ME2 were crap compared to the modular N7 armor and were completely unnecessary for a full experience. Sure they were nice to have... but you didn't need them, they're worthless as soon as you get the right armor pieces.

Unless you're talking about Sebastion, the DLC party member. He may only be free with the SE, but he'll probably only cost as much as Kasumi does for the non-SE guys. No biggy. If you're talking about the Black Emporium, that's Project Ten Dollar stuff (as in it's free with every new copy like Shale and Cerberus Network, not pre-order only).
Old 2011-02-02, 18:40   Link #435
triskelion
*Fansubber

Okay, so I ended up going to EB Games to pre-order it.

When I paid the $5 up front, I asked the person sales rep about the code for the 2 items I get or whatever.

He said that I get it on the day I go and pick it up, is this correct?
Old 2011-02-02, 21:01   Link #436
Who

Quote:
Okay, so I ended up going to EB Games to pre-order it.

When I paid the $5 up front, I asked the person sales rep about the code for the 2 items I get or whatever.

He said that I get it on the day I go and pick it up, is this correct?
That's correct. Black Emporium and the Fadeshear Sword and the Lion of Orlais Shield are available through pre-order.

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Down...agon_Age_II%29
Old 2011-02-02, 21:06   Link #437
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
That's correct. Black Emporium and the Fadeshear Sword and the Lion of Orlais Shield are available through pre-order.

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Down...agon_Age_II%29
Oh how you tempt me so with such delicious items
Old 2011-02-03, 19:06   Link #438
Tokkan

http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/demo

Demo comes out for everyone on the 22nd.

Completion of the demo nets a bonus item (Hayder's Razor) in the full game.
Old 2011-02-03, 19:10   Link #439
triskelion
*Fansubber

Why are they making so many items in stuff that isn't apart of the game that you buy?

Dead space, the facebook game, the demo, and 500 pre-order items?

Did I miss anything?
Old 2011-02-03, 19:13   Link #440
Tokkan

Quote:
Why are they making so many items in stuff that isn't apart of the game that you buy?

Dead space, the facebook game, the demo, and 500 pre-order items?

Did I miss anything?
It's incentive to buy.

DAO was the same.

Hell, they gave a free item to people who bought copies of DAO and registered them within the first month of release (The Edge).

Tags
bioware, ps3, rpg, windows, xbox360