Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-26, 02:51   Link #1
Dokuganryu
motorcycle boy

Send a message via MSN to Dokuganryu
Losers, Gangsters & Lovers

So I'm pretty bored at the moment and have this strange urge to catch up on some anime.

Basically I'd really like to watch an anime with any of the following things (or all ):

a) Losers
I would love to watch some stuff with characters that aren't particularly charismatic or aren't in the traditional anime protagonist archetype(s) and is at times laugh-out-loud funny while retaining some kind of emotional centre. Out of all the ‘newer series’ I've seen the only ones I've really enjoyed are PlanetES and Welcome to the N.H.K, so if there is anything along those lines I'd be definitely interested.

b) Gangsters
I'm not really particularly fussy about what sort of gangsters or petty thugs, delinquents, historical bandits, cyberpunk hooligans etc the series/movie should involve. A Yakuza driven anime would be amazing, especially if it was along the lines of a Takeshi Kitano film or any crime driven tale that has solid story and multi-layered characters like those on The Wire (best tv show ever, btw). One of my major qualms with anime in general is that story lines are so pretentious, over the top and bloated, so something that is even slightly removed from those things would be a god-send.

c) Lovers
I really disdain most of the romance anime that get churned out. It's not so much the endings are predictable, but its sort of a pointless exercise when you can see every scene coming at you beat for beat a mile away. I also find that virtually every character fits a preordained archetype, and all the emotions (humour, joy, sorrow etc) in these anime's are so forced and completely removed from any sense of normalcy. I think what I'm saying is: are there any shows (or manga for that matter) as good as Maison Ikkoku?

Lastly, feel free to recommend any anime that doesn't actually fit these 'categories' but you think might be in the spirit of my tastes.
Old 2007-02-26, 03:17   Link #2
jedinat

a) Losers
Genshiken
Beck
Irresponsible Captain Tylor

b) Gangsters
...can't really help you here

c) Lovers
Honey and Clover
Old 2007-02-26, 07:03   Link #3
capture
Saber's Husband XD

Send a message via Yahoo to capture
Gangsters maybe...

GTO
Tenjou Tenge
Gokusen
Old 2007-02-26, 07:04   Link #4
Areguzanda
Ecchi!

I 2.nd GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka)
is really good and really funny.

Old 2007-02-26, 07:44   Link #5
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Futakoi Alternative - has a bit of everything you would want
Old 2007-02-26, 08:41   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Black Lagoon has some of (1), a lot of (2), and a little bit of (3).
Old 2007-02-26, 10:20   Link #7
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

GunGrave

There is an anime which combines all three requirments Romance Tragedy and Gangsters . The protagonist is the bigest loser in the whole series . He sacrfices himself for the sake of others . Well Brandon Heat is a street punk who goes to become a Gangster . Brandon loves three things his childhood sweetheart his best freind Harry and the organization which he represents .

In a cruel twist of fate all the these three things which he loves are taken away from him also betrayal . Its about these three things which resulted in his death he comes back from beyond the grave to protect

Its a mix of Godfather/Scarface + Universal Soldier . Its very well edited first half deals with him reaching to the top and the second half deals with what he strives to protect and stand for . A beautiful story of one of the greatest losers in animeverse has violence gansgters and romance .

Its called Gungrave

I think this is the right anime you are looking for it has healthy doses of the three elements you are looking crafted together to form this anime .

Spoiler for teaser:
Old 2007-02-26, 16:28   Link #8
Crystal_Method
I want dreads...
*Artist

Desert Punk - not the greatest anime, but the main character is definitely a loser.
Old 2007-02-26, 21:57   Link #9
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

The spoiler/teaser posted in my previous post is taken from finale . Last few episodes give more emphasis on violence with loser theme poping up now and then . Do check out Gungrave It wont dissapoint as it meets your criterion
Old 2007-02-27, 01:56   Link #10
hermadelion

lol i never thought of brandon heat as a loser. he could have had the girl and power but he went for loyalty. but i guess you are right since he gets no love in the entire series

classic example of a loser would be naruto.
Old 2007-02-27, 02:14   Link #11
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Spoiler for Gungrave:
Old 2007-02-27, 12:13   Link #12
Skullvex

yea gungrave is a good choice, I almost stopped watching after episode 12 but glad I didn't.
Old 2007-02-28, 19:13   Link #13
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Yeah it beautifully handled and edited . The transistion from Scarface type of wolrd to Universal Soldier is quite flawless and without glitches . The only complaint I have is not using much of CG
Old 2007-03-01, 00:47   Link #14
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

For losers, maybe Monster can be counted in. It is more like a story-driven anime rather than character-driven. The main character finds himself entwined with conspiracies and loses lots of things along the way. Another possible series can be Peacemaker Kurogane.

For ganster/crime type, Monster is a good choice. Project arms can be considered as another secret organization kind of anime.

For lovers, I can suggest Kimagure Orange Road, Hana Yori Dango, Nana. All of these are based on strong stories.
Old 2007-03-01, 01:40   Link #15
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Whats Project Arms about ? I am a big fan of Gangster/Yakuza based anime . Can you please elobrate if you dont mind ^^
Old 2007-03-01, 01:54   Link #16
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
Whats Project Arms about ? I am a big fan of Gangster/Yakuza based anime . Can you please elobrate if you dont mind ^^
It has been a long time since I watched that series, partially (didn't have to finish it, at the time I came across it the first time). This is not actually a gangster type, more like a criminal organization using genetic research on some kids, and the events followed after the kids discover the result of those abilities (arms turning into weapons, etc.).

I just checked wikipedia, there is sufficient information on the series. You can also check its manga (15 translated volumes are currently available - out of 22), would make it easier to see how the story progresses.
Old 2007-03-01, 08:37   Link #17
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Thanx for the help I will surely look it up and maybe even get the anime