AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 25 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 263 62.17%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 68 16.08%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 37 8.75%
7 out of 10 : Good 23 5.44%
6 out of 10 : Average 12 2.84%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 0.71%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.24%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.24%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.24%
1 out of 10 : Painful 14 3.31%
Voters: 423. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-27, 11:11   Link #341
Naraku

Quote:
Originally Posted by brain View Post
The thing about falling madly in love with someone is that nothing changes that, even if you go from virtually living together to living too many miles away to visit.
I've done the serious long distance relationships before, where we would see each other every few months.

I don't think I cried as much as I did when I would have to drop my (at the time) girlfriend off at the airport.

I think I feel more sorry for Ryuuji simply because of the fact that Taiga never really said "Good bye" to him face to face. I'm sure he would have begged her not to do this, but just as he understood her reasoning after reading her note and from the past experience of the growing pains that they both shared.

It was definitely painful on both sides I'm sure, I just felt that it was a more painful way of initiating the long gap between seeing each other.

I am speaking from experience. Pictures don't do a person you love justice, each time I would see my (at the time) girlfriend off or she would see me off I would always etc those final visual moments in my brain and the final kiss we would share before we would part again for a while.

It was more sentimental than any picture could do.
Old 2009-03-27, 11:36   Link #342
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

I'm curious about the lyrics to the ED theme on eps 25. It was the same bitter orange song, but in reading the translation, and seeing the images complied from ops & eds from the whole series, it seemed to be giving us a rememberance from Taiga's POV. The version I was watching though, stopped the lyrics translations as soon as the epilogue scenes began, and based on everything else I've seen in this show, the rest of those lyrics may have been significant in relation to what was appearing onscreen, or going through Taiga's mind in the ensuing year.

Does anyone have the full lyrics translation for that special version of ED song?

>>>EDIT<<<

Nevermind minna, I found them. The whole song was being used.

Last edited by Mughi; 2009-03-27 at 13:01.
Old 2009-03-27, 11:49   Link #343
Traece
:cool:

I have to say that although things were considerably messed up getting here in the last episode or two... Things worked out surprisingly well. I was definitely expecting things to end poorly to match the strangeness of all the running away and the yelling and the like, but it basically ended exactly how it was before all the drama was introduced.

That's good because it's what I wanted to see happen. I have to say I'll miss Toradora! because it was such a fantastic show, but I think it might be one of those shows that you remember for a long time because of the things people said in it. Toradora! really has some lessons in it that you can learn from and use in your own life.

My only complaint is that I wish it had been longer. It felt like it ended a bit too short, but then Taiga was there so... <_< I don't really have much to say about how things turned out. Everybody else seems to like the ending as well.
Old 2009-03-27, 11:57   Link #344
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
Here is the actual contents of the paper, I think according to the Taiwanese discussion board PTT.

Spoiler for I guess I should spoiler tag this...:
gah, I can't read japanese worth crap... and of course translating it with a program blows.

もいちど。。。
Old 2009-03-27, 12:16   Link #345
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenkitsune View Post
gah, I can't read japanese worth crap... and of course translating it with a program blows.
May I point out that Ryuou already provided a translation of that letter earlier in this very thread:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=112

Besides, Taiga said out loud everything that was in the letter (yes, 100% identical), so you might as well just read the subtitles. I can't believe it's still attracting attention now that the subs are out -_-
Old 2009-03-27, 12:36   Link #346
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

I just remembered, Taiga would always ask a second, third, etc... serving of Ryuuji's meals. I guess when it comes to Ryuuji's generosity, for Taiga, it's always "one more..."
Old 2009-03-27, 12:39   Link #347
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukinokesshou View Post
May I point out that Ryuou already provided a translation of that letter earlier in this very thread:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=112

Besides, Taiga said out loud everything that was in the letter (yes, 100% identical), so you might as well just read the subtitles. I can't believe it's still attracting attention now that the subs are out -_-
Ah, so she did say it out loud. I thought she did but wasn't 100% sure. oh well thanks for pointing out that I already knew what the letter said lmao.

(damnit, I want to make a sig with ryuuji and taiga kissing, but I'd piss off too many people that haven't seen the end yet)

もいちど。。。
Old 2009-03-27, 12:59   Link #348
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Right now, I'm torn between wanting and not wanting a live-action version of Toradora...

In favour:
- Live action would help popularise this wonderful story. It's an under-appreciated jewel that has potential for cross-demographic appeal.
- I simply want more, more, and more of this!

Against:
- Bad acting and a stilted production would be a disservice rather than a favour to Toradora.
- Who are they going to cast as Taiga??? I can already imagine Fuji TV nominating Narumi Riko (*groan* -____-)
Funny, I was suggesting something like that in another blog some weeks ago, commenting that how the story would fit perfectly find in a live action setting.

The only obstacle would be to find a talented actress who's short and spunky enough to play Taiga.
Old 2009-03-27, 13:02   Link #349
typhonsentra

I feel like a live action adaptation is inevitable. It'd give this place some new life after we're done discussing the novel translations and the final episode has long since been over. I'd give it a go.
Old 2009-03-27, 13:30   Link #350
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

As I've written on my blog, I agree with Yukinokesshou. Yasuko would be a lot more attractive without the make-up. For chrissakes, she looks younger than Ryuuji (and Taiga)!
Old 2009-03-27, 13:38   Link #351
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenkitsune View Post
(damnit, I want to make a sig with ryuuji and taiga kissing, but I'd piss off too many people that haven't seen the end yet)
That would be cute... but I'm sure you won't be the only one in a week's time, hehe (no, I'm not referring to myself: I plan to continue using some variation of "Taiga making funny faces" as my sig). And sorry for being slightly grouchy in my previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
The only obstacle would be to find a talented actress who's short and spunky enough to play Taiga.
Exactly. There's a depressing trend in Japan, or at least Fuji TV, to cast Narumi Riko whenever they need a teenage female protagonist with a "bratty" personality, but she's the last person I'd want to play a complex character like Taiga. She was absolutely awful as Hagu-chan in Honey and Clover and would be equally bad as a tsundere. She just comes across as very artificial to me and the only emotions she can get right are anger or melancholy (arguably the easiest emotions to imitate) -_-
Old 2009-03-27, 13:45   Link #352
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

The live-action version of Honey and Clover was ... a travesty to the anime, in my opinion.
Old 2009-03-27, 13:48   Link #353
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
The live-action version of Honey and Clover was ... a travesty to the anime, in my opinion.
Yeah... anyone who's wondering why I'm so ambivalent about a live action version of Toradora ought to see the dreadfulness that is Honey and Clover live action for themselves. Also, I'm not so sure about Yasuko looking younger than Taiga... Taiga in a ponytail (see ep 12) looked like a ten-year-old for goodness sake
Old 2009-03-27, 13:55   Link #354
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
So apparently despite my dropping of this way back during episode 07 for boring me to death this somehow turned out to be incredibly good? I'm having a hard time seeing this, but I might have to check it out because this sounds like it must be one hell of a turnaround.
Old 2009-03-27, 13:57   Link #355
Sephiroth_760
Anime is lifestyle

Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth_760
live-action movies mostly screw up

u can't catch the feelings in anime in real life, that's what I think is the biggest problem,
not maybe the special effects or to choose the actors but the emotions

emotions are very important in an anime and without the specific emotions an anime loses his pride

not that I want to say that human can't be like the characters in animes but they can't show the emotions the way the anime character does
Old 2009-03-27, 13:59   Link #356
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth_760 View Post
live-action movies mostly screw up
One exception: Nodame Cantabile. I actually enjoyed the live action more than the anime.
Old 2009-03-27, 14:00   Link #357
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
I just remembered, Taiga would always ask a second, third, etc... serving of Ryuuji's meals. I guess when it comes to Ryuuji's generosity, for Taiga, it's always "one more..."
Nice catch very sweet parallel.

As for the "live-action" possibility discussion --- you have to remember that the live-action Honey&Clover and Lov*Com films did fairly well financially for a small-budget film and - most importantly drove up the sales of the other products (books, DVDs, etc). Live-action makes something effectively "mainstream" in Japan.
Old 2009-03-27, 14:17   Link #358
Sephiroth_760
Anime is lifestyle

Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth_760
Quote:
One exception: Nodame Cantabile. I actually enjoyed the live action more than the anime.
that's why I said mostly
sure there are live actions which are really good

like gto
the live action is pretty old
but it was still good
the actor was just as cool as onizuka was in the anime
xD

or the live action from Saishuu Heiki Kanojo
that was pretty well done too
I almost thought of it better than the anime hahaha
xD
Old 2009-03-27, 14:41   Link #359
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
@Reckoner

Spoiler for for length:

I think a re-watch might be in order to clear up the whole Ryuji x Yasako thing, paying extra attention to the scenes involving them. Yasako's meltdown and Ryuji's angst were all foreshadowed pretty well if you were paying attention.

One thing for sure that it looks like you misunderstood was Ryuji's dilemma regarding Yasako. His "It would have been better if I hadn't been born" wasn't some kind of self loathing, he was feeling guilty for the trouble he thinks he caused Yasako. They illustrated that pretty well in the episode where Yasako collapsed due to exhaustion. Also there was never really any question as to whether Ryuji would go to college or not, he never once went along with the idea, rather he was against it every time it was brought up.

As far as Ami, Minori, Kitiamura, etc., they were all side characters. While it might have been nice to get some closure on their particular stories, this show was ultimately about Taiga and Ryuji.
I don't remember complaining about Ryuji's angst, I only complained about Yasako. No, a rewatch is not in order. This was horribly foreshadowed.

I did not misunderstand Ryuji's dilemma with his mother. Like I said, he quickly recovered from his psychological dilemma with relatively no explanation other than the fact that he has seen his mother tried hard for his sake, and that this is what she wants. This does not clear up the issue though. I do not see how he could of recovered from his thoughts of being a burden. He still has to decide if he wants to work to help his mother, or fulfill his mother's wishes of chasing greater goals in college. He feels he'll be a burden if he does not try to bring in pay.

And side characters or not, you do not introduce stories if you do plan to conclude them. Bad storytelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The interesting thing is that each of those complaints have a legitimate basis because (imo) they exactly target the series' biggest problem -- the lack of time budget to execute each of those omissions or deficiencies (which are basically all covered in the novels).

Yet given the time budget constraint.... I just feel they worked pretty hard with only a few fail-points. I really would like to see this remade in a few years with a 36 episode budget.... probably won't happen though I'm still amazed we got Kanon redone.
Yeah, but I am not judging the novels here, just the anime. I am sure that are far less flaws in the novels, but that is J.C. staff's fault for poorly adapting the material in these last episodes. There could be legitimate excuses for these flaws, but being able to see this does not change the fact that I did not enjoy the ending episodes in this show. I think I would definitely appreciate a remake of the last 6-8 episodes of this show or so, with perhaps an extension of the episode count..
Old 2009-03-27, 14:46   Link #360
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
And side characters or not, you do not introduce stories if you do plan to conclude them. Bad storytelling.
My ass. Not every story HAS an ending.

Reckoner, no offense, but I'm becoming convinced you hate every show you watch...

Anyway, since I have no desire to read through the backlog of pages here, I'll just say:

ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE

EPIC WIN

BEST KISS EVER

TEN OUT OF TEN

Even though some individual episodes of the show had... issues, the show as a whole gets a 10 simply because I enjoyed it THAT MUCH.

BEST. LOVECOM. EVER. That is all.
Closed Thread