Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2011-03-14, 18:36   Link #961
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
And there it is, the containment vessel has failed. Queue massive radiation leakage.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-14, 18:37   Link #962
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
That's one powerful image...
very, all of these pictures of the carnage just breaks my heart. I feel like I need to help in some way like go there and do something, but i fell so helpless at my age.. I would love to volunteer for the red cross and go there to help in kind of way
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-14, 18:39   Link #963
solomon

If I heard correctly some of the commentators are a little annoyed by the information at the TEPCO press conference. I think I heard an official say "This is not a place to express opinions, this a place to get the facts" or something like that.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-14, 18:39   Link #964
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

I'm watching the live press conference with the plant officials about reactor 2--Apologizing in response to questions seems rather equivocal to saying "no comment"?
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-14, 18:44   Link #965
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green² View Post
Reactors 1, 2, & 3 at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant have been flooded with sea water to maintain coolant levels. They are now considered no longer usable.
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/...5531300035676/
that sucks... are 4-6 coming back online anytime soon, or are they stuck with significantly reduced power capacity for a long time?

btw, Containment Vessel? Has the containment building failed or the reactor vessel? Source?
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-14, 18:48   Link #966
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Wow, that's nifty of you NHK, cutting the press conference in the middle of a difficult question...

Old 2011-03-14, 18:49   Link #967
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
that sucks... are 4-6 coming back online anytime soon, or are they stuck with significantly reduced power capacity for a long time?

btw, Containment Vessel? Has the containment building failed or the reactor vessel? Source?
You can follow the news here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698
Old 2011-03-14, 18:52   Link #968
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
And there it is, the containment vessel has failed. Queue massive radiation leakage.
Uhm depends. If I was nitpicking, I would say the suppression pool is outside the inner reactor containment.

But since we are talking about a BWR, that means the suppression pool is a structural part of the inner cooling cycle... I say you are half way right. It means there is even more radiation coming from the inner coolant now, since more of it is exposed (more so than in the venting incidents) to the outer containment (which was opened to release the oxyhydrogen ( I read this somewhere in this thread) that made the outer containment of block 1 and 3 go bust).

Whats more concerning to me, they cannot use the inner cooling cycle now. I hope they already injected the boron in the core of reactor of block 2 (as they did in block 1 and 3). Then they can just close the valves from and to the reactor.
Old 2011-03-14, 18:53   Link #969
solomon

NHK commentators says its wierd that theres no new info, but they believe the fact that most workers at the plant have been told to retreat suggest that things are getting dicey. (Listening to Radio 1)
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-14, 18:53   Link #970
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Another explosion has rocked the Fukushima 1 power plant damaged by Friday's huge earthquake but the reactors are said to be still intact
1. BBC is a fairly good source. I should use that... /feels stupid
2. No Massive Radiation Leakage. Reactors are still intact. Though, the cooling loop inside the reactor seems dead, so its harder to keep things under control probably.
Old 2011-03-14, 18:55   Link #971
konart

Quote:
1. BBC is a fairly good source. I should use that... /feels stupid
2. No Massive Radiation Leakage. Reactors are still intact. Though, the cooling loop inside the reactor seems dead, so its harder to keep things under control probably.
Your source of info?
Old 2011-03-14, 18:56   Link #972
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Sounds like a case of human error caused by them focusing on the other two reactors and neglecting the remaining one.

However that is just an impression I am getting at this time.

I have some faith in the design of they reactor keeping the worst of it from spreading for any long term ratiation poisoning of the region.
Old 2011-03-14, 19:01   Link #973
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
I have some faith in the design of they reactor keeping the worst of it from spreading for any long term ratiation poisoning of the region.
I don't. The lobbying machine has been spreading lies about the design of the Fukushima reactor's containment vessel.

Quote:
Uhm depends. If I was nitpicking, I would say the suppression pool is outside the inner reactor containment.
They gave almost no info about it. What would cause it to blow up? Wouldn't the melting core cause an explosion if it suddenly fell on the water from a leak in the containment vessel?

PS: I am not an anti-nuke bigot. I was actually TRUSTING the lobbying machine, even though I know they say what they say because they are invested in the matter. But the way things have developed has changed my opinion deeply.

Old 2011-03-14, 19:04   Link #974
bayoab

Quote:
Wow, that's nifty of you NHK, cutting the press conference in the middle of a difficult question...
Nico is streaming it:
http://live.nicovideo.jp/
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-14, 19:04   Link #975
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Your source of info?
Not sure what you are asking, so I'll answer both most likely questions
Quote:
reactors are said to be still intact
On the page you provided.

My source prior was random forum threads and emails with friends in Japan

Quote:
Sounds like a case of human error caused by them focusing on the other two reactors and neglecting the remaining one.

However that is just an impression I am getting at this time.

I would agree with human error, I think somewhere on this thread, someone said stuff started going wrong in Unit 2 when they ran out of diesel for the back up generator...
Old 2011-03-14, 19:07   Link #976
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

According to BBC:

Quote:
0005: Radioactive materials are feared to be leaking at Fukushima, Kyodo reports quoting a safety agency.

Old 2011-03-14, 19:10   Link #977
konart

Quote:
Not sure what you are asking, so I'll answer both most likely questions
Sorry, must be too sleepy(it's 3a.m. here). I've just misread you post -_-'

/off to bed

Before I'm off:

Quote:
reactors are said to be still intact
^ Old news, from Saturday, or Sunday. They have Key points out off date for some reason. All the Live news on the page I provided are on the left sidebar
Old 2011-03-14, 19:16   Link #978
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
They gave almost no info about it. What would cause it to blow up? Wouldn't the melting core cause an explosion if it suddenly fell on the water from a leak in the containment vessel?
No, the culprit is most likely the same as in the blown up outer containments of block 1 and 3. When hydrogen is in the suppression pool and there was extensive venting (maybe a malfunction) of the inner cooling cycle (afaik it ran almost dry - so the inner pressure must have been really low)...and you refill it with something from outside (seawater), then you also bring a certain amount of O2 into the system. This together with the H2 gives oxyhydrogen... and oxyhydrogen possibly exploded somewhere near the suppression pool (its not exactly meant to deal with the pressure of an explosion).

I am still trying to figure something out though. In german BWRs there are catalytic recombinators that (in theory) recombine the H2 with the O2 in a catalytic way, should both agents be inside the system. Now I wonder if these were not installed in Fukushima, or if they simply failed. In that case I can deduct for the german BWRs that the catalytic recombinators are just a safety gimmick that most likely has no real purpose (doesn't really add to the safety).
Old 2011-03-14, 19:23   Link #979
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Sorry, must be too sleepy(it's 3a.m. here). I've just misread you post -_-'

/off to bed

Before I'm off:

^ Old news, from Saturday, or Sunday. They have Key points out off date for some reason. All the Live news on the page I provided are on the left sidebar
They leave the first thing people look at out of date. Uggh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
No, the culprit is most likely the same as in the blown up outer containments of block 1 and 3. When hydrogen is in the suppression pool and there was extensive venting (maybe a malfunction) of the inner cooling cycle (afaik it ran almost dry - so the inner pressure must have been really low)...and you refill it with something from outside (seawater), then you also bring a certain amount of O2 into the system. This together with the H2 gives oxyhydrogen... and oxyhydrogen possibly exploded somewhere near the suppression pool (its not exactly meant to deal with the pressure of an explosion).

I am still trying to figure something out though. In german BWRs there are catalytic recombinators that (in theory) recombine the H2 with the O2 in a catalytic way, should both agents be inside the system. Now I wonder if these were not installed in Fukushima, or if they simply failed. In that case I can deduct for the german BWRs that the catalytic recombinators are just a safety gimmick that most likely has no real purpose (doesn't really add to the safety).
How recent are these German BWRs you speak of. Fukushima Daiichi Units 1-3 were all built in the 70's.
Old 2011-03-14, 19:27   Link #980
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
How recent are these German BWRs you speak of. Fukushima Daiichi Units 1-3 were all built in the 70's.
I think age is not necessarily an issue, since these recombinators can be retrofitted. Though I think they were introduced in the generation III BWRs.

Tags
disaster, japan, tsunami