AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-01, 07:36   Link #5281
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
Having an affair is probably the worst way to tell someone "I don't love you anymore". And that supposedly big divorce settlement. What was it again? US$300million?
Old 2010-01-01, 11:08   Link #5282
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Wait so you guys support death penalties for drug trafficing?

I think it's fine to have a strict anti-drug policy but do you really need to kill the mule? I think that's way overboard personally.
Old 2010-01-01, 12:00   Link #5283
mechabao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harufox View Post
the other thing i find funny is that everyone denied the allegations. Then the text messages and voice mail surfaced, and everyone and their dog (not literally speaking the dog) came forward and admitted to having an affair with Tiger Woods
It's a chance at getting some $$$ and 15 minutes of fame.
Old 2010-01-01, 13:34   Link #5284
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy View Post

I think it's fine to have a strict anti-drug policy but do you really need to kill the mule? I think that's way overboard personally.
No, I didn't see anyone *supporting* the idea.... only explaining the reasoning behind it. I can explain things and paint the rationale in great detail while still thinking its got a poor underlying set of assumptions based on my own cultural baggage.

All cultural systems and philosophical axioms have flaws, loopholes, or points of failure.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-01-01 at 17:01. Reason: too many word omissions today
Old 2010-01-01, 16:15   Link #5285
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy View Post

The point was not the death penalty. It's that these days ppl just use metal illness excuse to escape justice. I dunno if this dude was mentally ill. If he was don't you think he should have been taken care better? And I mean his family should have prevented him from leaving the country in the 1st place.

Quote:
from BBC
He had denied all knowledge of the drugs, and his daughter had said drug smugglers in Poland convinced him they would make him a popstar in China.
From this you can clearly see that someone didn't take care of him.
Old 2010-01-01, 16:16   Link #5286
mg1942

DEMOCRACY NOW!
or never

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34650768...s-asiapacific/
Old 2010-01-01, 17:42   Link #5287
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
It's going to be a hard fight for them to say at the very least.

China is not going to let Hong Kong go full Democracy any time soon IMO. It's rather risky (Especially in highly unlikely case of them wanting independence!) China, after all wants to have some form of control in Hong Kong (Dominating is of course the best for them) or else they risk letting Hong Kong's economy to leave the mainland.

I hope that they gain something close to it; but I'm sure many Hong Kongers (Myself included) realize that China will still be a major part in the Hong Kong government for a good while.

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2010-01-01, 18:12   Link #5288
mg1942

White House new years resolution?

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-a...36,print.story

With the healthcare battle still unfinished, the Obama admin. has been laying plans to take up an issue that could prove even more divisive -- a major overhaul of the nation's immigration system...
Old 2010-01-01, 18:19   Link #5289
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Woman celebrates 110th Birthday
Quote:
Mrs Watson, who is among the oldest people in Britain, has lived through two world wars, six monarchs and 21 prime ministers.

She marked the milestone at her Surrey care home and attributed her longevity to a healthy lifestyle and laughter, saying: "I've never smoked and rarely drunk alcohol apart from a sherry at Christmas and birthdays."

She continued: "I've always eaten healthy food but the most important thing is laughter and having a good sense of humour."
Couldn't agree more, best medicine in the world and it's free

Touching story and kinda amazing given how much the world has changed during her lifetime. Technically she has seen the end of the world... twice (world wars) and still lives to tell the tale.
Truly if you're lucky to be in decent health as you get older and see your offspring 4 generations over, it's quite a blessing.

Living and breathing treasures of history and time, here's wishing her a happy 2010

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2010-01-01, 19:10   Link #5290
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-a...36,print.story

With the healthcare battle still unfinished, the Obama admin. has been laying plans to take up an issue that could prove even more divisive -- a major overhaul of the nation's immigration system...
Here's an amazing idea... smooth the process for those trying to immigrate the legal way. I have too many friends who have been jerked around, sometimes for decades by buttfaced INS twits. But no, our two political parties will turn it into a mudfest of xenophobia and "voter stops thinking" hotbutton issues.

Hi, Obama..... tactical shift needed:
*JOBS*. Ones that aren't underemployed, 'want fries with that'&'welcometowalliemart'.
*TRAINING*. So that people qualify for whats needed.
*cost of living* (much tougher).. to compete with the salaries or our global competitors. Many of them live quite nicely with much lower salaries but their cost of living is much lower (which is one reason why the professional class in the US is starting to immigrate out).
Old 2010-01-01, 19:57   Link #5291
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myki rollout leaves trams, buses behind
The Victorian Government is rolling out the troubled public transport ticketing system myki on Melbourne trains today, but not city trams and buses.
Yes, our troubled state government has decided to avoid political suicide by rolling out Myki, a controversial new smartcard ticketing system that has been delayed by over 2 years and blown to a whopping AU$1.3 billion in cost. It was promised that It'd be running by the end of 2009 and so they decided instead of roll it out when it would be fully working, they decided to roll out the system while it's still in "Alpha" stages

The system has been in use in Regional Victoria (where there are no zones) and has already drawn criticism for its overcharging, its cumbersomeness and the fact that the customer is liable for all failures whether or not it is in their control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Bowen
Really it wouldn't have hurt them just to wait a few weeks and deploy it properly on to Melbourne's public transport rather than in this haphazard way
He's right...rolling it out like this is much like giving a customer a half-baked cake. I'd much prefer to have a proper rollout rather than this atrocity. Our former Metcard system allowed us to pride ourselves on having a multi-modal ticket (buy a metcard on a set duration, and you can travel on all forms of public transport in the specified zone until expiry). By all means, Bowen has urged all Melburnians to keep using Metcards until myki is actually working. As for me, I'm one of the 14000 who ordered a card on its release to the public....now I'm waiting for it to arrive in the mail. I still won't be using it for 6 months, but at least I got it for its promotional price of $0 (and at this point, that's all its worth).

EDIT: Scratch that, there's an even better story

'Miracle': Mum, bub back from the dead

Last edited by Haruka_Kitten; 2010-01-01 at 20:50.
Old 2010-01-01, 22:55   Link #5292
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harufox View Post

EDIT: Scratch that, there's an even better story

'Miracle': Mum, bub back from the dead
Holy. A real-life CLANNAD ~After Story~?!
Old 2010-01-02, 00:46   Link #5293
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/01/us...er=rss&emc=rss

Isn't fascinating the number of investigations and prosecutions started during the Bush administration that are being dropped by judges over sheer incompetence, poor management, lousy process by the Bush prosecutors. It appears yet more Bush era misdeed prosecutions have been derailed thanks to the Justice Department mishandling during that administration.
I could don my cap of cynicism and suggest that perhaps the Justice Department wasn't all that enthusiastic about prosecuting the Blackwater guys to begin with. Judge Urbina's decision specifically observes that "senior, experienced" prosecutors warned the team that its "course of action threatened the viability of prosecution.”

Look at the criticisms Urbina levelled against the Justice Department's prosecutorial team:

"'The explanations offered by the prosecutors and investigators in an attempt to justify their actions and persuade the court that they did not use the defendants’ compelled testimony were all too often contradictory, unbelievable and lacking in credibility,' Judge Urbina wrote.

"The judge also criticized prosecutors for withholding 'substantial exculpatory evidence' from the grand jury that indicted the defendants, as well as for presenting 'distorted versions' of witnesses’ testimony and improperly telling the grand jury that some incriminating statements had been made by the defendants but were being withheld. "

Either we had a team that was much too eager to secure a conviction, or one that was much too eager to derail its own prosecution from the outset.

At least this incident, as horrible as it was, forced the US to accept Iraqi jurisdiction over US civilian contractors. I wonder what the agreement between NATO and the Kharzai government says about Afghani jurisdiction over the contractors working there.
Old 2010-01-02, 10:09   Link #5294
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I could don my cap of cynicism and suggest that perhaps the Justice Department wasn't all that enthusiastic about prosecuting the Blackwater guys to begin with. Judge Urbina's decision specifically observes that "senior, experienced" prosecutors warned the team that its "course of action threatened the viability of prosecution.”

Look at the criticisms Urbina levelled against the Justice Department's prosecutorial team:

"'The explanations offered by the prosecutors and investigators in an attempt to justify their actions and persuade the court that they did not use the defendants’ compelled testimony were all too often contradictory, unbelievable and lacking in credibility,' Judge Urbina wrote.

"The judge also criticized prosecutors for withholding 'substantial exculpatory evidence' from the grand jury that indicted the defendants, as well as for presenting 'distorted versions' of witnesses’ testimony and improperly telling the grand jury that some incriminating statements had been made by the defendants but were being withheld. "

Either we had a team that was much too eager to secure a conviction, or one that was much too eager to derail its own prosecution from the outset.

At least this incident, as horrible as it was, forced the US to accept Iraqi jurisdiction over US civilian contractors. I wonder what the agreement between NATO and the Kharzai government says about Afghani jurisdiction over the contractors working there.
I think it has got to be an issue because it is Blackwater. These guys aren't just mercenaries, but the best fighters and operators a few countries' Special Forces can offer. They left the military to seek jobs at BW as it has more liberty in operation procedure compared to the militaries they used to belong to. To prosecute them can result in serious fallout if they hire themselves out to rogue organisations for revenge.

Remember that these guys are trained to fight up to 50 normal soldiers singlehandedly and end up standing on their bodies. It is their training that makes them incredibly dangerous as a foe.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-01-02, 12:57   Link #5295
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I think it has got to be an issue because it is Blackwater. These guys aren't just mercenaries, but the best fighters and operators a few countries' Special Forces can offer. They left the military to seek jobs at BW as it has more liberty in operation procedure compared to the militaries they used to belong to. To prosecute them can result in serious fallout if they hire themselves out to rogue organisations for revenge.

Remember that these guys are trained to fight up to 50 normal soldiers singlehandedly and end up standing on their bodies. It is their training that makes them incredibly dangerous as a foe.
You should stop watching propaganda. Seriously
Old 2010-01-02, 18:53   Link #5296
mg1942

solar power can't work....... it is far too destructive

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Solar-...54160.html?x=0

Quote:
Oakland, Calif.-based BrightSource Energy has been pushing for more than two years for permission to erect 400,000 mirrors on the site to gather the sun's energy. It could become the first project of its kind on U.S. Bureau of Land Management property, leaving a footprint for others to follow on vast stretches of public land across the West.

The construction would come with a cost: Government scientists have concluded that more than 6 square miles of habitat for the federally threatened desert tortoise would be permanently lost.

The Sierra Club and other environmentalists want the complex relocated to preserve what they call a near-pristine home for rare plants and wildlife, including the protected tortoise, the Western burrowing owl and bighorn sheep.

"It's actually a good project. It's just located in the wrong place," said Ileene Anderson of the Center for Biological Diversity, a Tucson, Ariz.-based environmental group.
Not in my back yard! Save the 3 eyed newt! and tick.
Old 2010-01-02, 19:08   Link #5297
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Teen's $2 million fraud charge

Now there's something i don't hear everyday either

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teen's $2 million fraud charge
AN 18-year-old Brisbane student has been charged with defrauding Queensland's biggest bank of AU$2 million in a case that has set off alarm bells about online banking security.
Haha, now there's someone who was paying attention in class

Last edited by Haruka_Kitten; 2010-01-02 at 22:48.
Old 2010-01-02, 21:15   Link #5298
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Not in my back yard!
Five words that have help back progress since the dawn of man.
Old 2010-01-02, 23:01   Link #5299
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Another Singapore Ship Hijacked.

Brilliant. And this has to come during the New Year.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-01-02, 23:23   Link #5300
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Another Singapore Ship Hijacked.

Brilliant. And this has to come during the New Year.
Don't worry, there'll be a lot more to come. Seriously though, maybe it's time for some Q-ships? Hell, just countries putting some soldiers on their ships to protect them might work.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international