Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-02-01, 03:01   Link #3441
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
You mean resonance?
I actually needs something which is similar to an equipment guideline. But yeah, still thank you a lots since resonance did give me a good start today.

Any more helps (on vibration measurer or accelerometer) will be appreciated........

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2010-02-01 at 03:17.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-02, 02:13   Link #3442
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Whats the difference between "Download Help" + "Playback Help" forums compared to the "Tech Support" forum?
Well.... supposedly Tech Support is for general issues outside the collecting and feeding of anime fansubs.

But yeah, there's a lot of slosh-over.
Old 2010-02-02, 03:33   Link #3443
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Here's a quick physics question. Assuming we have an average house hold water heater and a coil stove. Would it be more energy efficient?

1. Using the sink to turn from cold to hot

or

2. Using cold water/room temp and using the stove to boil it?

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-02, 13:41   Link #3444
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hot water from the sink (from the hot water heater) isn't a Good Idea if you're going to drink it or use it in food.

The hot water tank is a clusterf*** of minerals and metals - only to be used in an emergency situations for drinking.

That said.... a hot water heater is, by definition, less efficient because it uses energy 24/7 to sustain a certain water temperature and usually has two 4500W heating coils. Heating it on the stove using a 750W/1000W coil for the 5 minutes or so is much less costly.

The tankless water heater systems (instant heat) that use gas or electricity are also much more efficient and don't have the 'heavy metals' issue.
Old 2010-02-03, 01:24   Link #3445
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Hot water from the sink (from the hot water heater) isn't a Good Idea if you're going to drink it or use it in food.

The hot water tank is a clusterf*** of minerals and metals - only to be used in an emergency situations for drinking.
Great, so in other words I've been slowly killing myself by trying to speed up the time it takes to make tan-tan noodle soup.

(Well, imitation tan tan noodle soup at least. I don't have the actual ingrediants so I just cook instant noodles in a broth made from peanut butter, soy sauce, shrimp stock, and hot chili oil. And before you ask, the peanut butter dissolves when the water boils so its nowhere near as disgusting as it sounds, at least if you get the ingredient ratios and cooking time right.)

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 02:19   Link #3446
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Heh... interesting use of peanut butter, which I'd say you're using as kind of a tahini or miso paste substitute.

But yeah.... hot water heater output is really not for drinking in most cases outside of emergencies. There *are* marvelous water heaters that are suitable .... but they're "green", use special tank materials, and cost a small fortune.
Old 2010-02-04, 15:12   Link #3447
SirJeannot
AT Field

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
PS: The only things which i got so far is general information on Laser Doppler Vibrometer and Accelerometer (especiallt Piezotronic one). Both could be found in wikipedia or other encyclopedia through
you want to have a piezoelectric accelerometer, as a laser interferometer may be too precise for your need.
with just the acceleration over time you can work out movements as after a vibration, your structure should (as these are vibrations) naturally go back to it's "still state".
beware, most high precision accelerometers are sensible in only one direction. if you want x/y/z, you'll have to use 3.
other point that may affect the measurments : the accelerometer shoud and must attached so that there is no dampening medium between your structure and the accelerometers. these usually can be screwed
Old 2010-02-06, 13:44   Link #3448
Cipher

Do we have to sleep specifically at night? Why? What if we have the opposite average sleeping routine? Sleep=day, wake=night.

Was there anyone who couldn't sleep at all and lived through the rest of hir life w/o sleep?

Thank you.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 15:47   Link #3449
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

On average I'd say at most you can stay up 1 day and a half maybe 2 tops, at which point you will really want to sleep and not care for whatever it was that kept you up. This goes with out saying your coordination and other skills will be severely punished by that point. Anyway, at the end of that sleepless period you will sleep a lot to recover and possibly get a little sick for a while after depending on how much you pushed it. You don't have to sleep specifically at night but generally if you sleep in the day you'll take 8 to 10 hours to get a good rest while at night its around 5 to 7 (this heavily depends on age but that's the average I guess). Besides the obvious advantage in time you also can not meet schedules, appointments and daily routines if you sleep in the day; unless you have some special work that requires you to be at night -- which you don't!

In short: we sleep at night because its the best time to sleep, most convenient time to sleep and by sleeping we get to be in tip top shape each day which saves us more time and gets more work done then not sleeping and being incompetent walking zombies with the IQ and concentration ability of a domesticated animal.

Also, you can not live with out sleeping, your body will fail, by which you should understand you will "sleep" if you want to or not. For more information just refer to wikipedia.
Old 2010-02-06, 16:00   Link #3450
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Was there anyone who couldn't sleep at all and lived through the rest of hir life w/o sleep?
Nope there isn't any recorded . The sleepless records so far (source)

- 201 Hours (08.4 days) : Peter Tripp

- 260 Hours (11 days) : Randy Gardner

- 276 hours (11.5 days) : Toimi Soini

- 449 hours (18.7 days) : Maureen Weston

Maureen Weston began to hallucinate towards the end but reported no lasting effects from her rocking chair marathon .

EDIT

Quote:
I'll take it since these are record attempts these people were likely doing something like meditation in that time, for obvious reasons -- so more or less half-sleeping.

Mostly scientific research

Peter Tripp : He spent most of the time in a glass booth in Times Square, and the rest in a hotel room across the street, set up as a laboratory to monitor his reactions.

Randy Gardner : Stayed awake for 264 without using any stimulants. His stunt was part of a school science project on sleep patterns.

Nothing is known about Toimi Soini . But Maureen Weston like you said meditating or trance like state on a rocking chair .

Last edited by Zu Ra; 2010-02-06 at 16:12.
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 16:05   Link #3451
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I'll take it since these are record attempts these people were likely doing something like meditation in that time, for obvious reasons -- so more or less half-sleeping.
Old 2010-02-07, 04:12   Link #3452
Cipher

Perhaps I need to rephrase my question: What would I, health-wise, lose by sleeping at day and awake at night? Does it have something to do with the sun?
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 04:46   Link #3453
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

No. I sleep plenty in the day on some occasions and substantially less at night depending on circumstance; however like I said earlier because of our little bioclock and also the transition from night to day, you will require a lot more sleep so you lose time.
Old 2010-02-07, 06:29   Link #3454
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

@SirJeannot: thank there =]

Quote:
Perhaps I need to rephrase my question: What would I, health-wise, lose by sleeping at day and awake at night? Does it have something to do with the sun?
This comes from only one source (so you may want to check it again), but yes it does affect your health by some degrees and does have something to do with the sun (due to both the temperature and the sunlight).

Your body temperature when you are sleeping is lower than when you are awake (by up to 3 degrees Celsius, i think). Therefore you easily get a deep sleep (and recover your energy faster) when it's not too hot, and are harder to awake when it's not sunny outside.
To the extreme, image it's like try to cook something in the snow or freeze something under the sunshine, it's not as effective.

Then by exposing your eyes to the sunlight, you will be more awake and feel less tired while working (i have a really good article about why but i don't have it here, so...wikipedia...again @_@). Therefore it's recommended to use that replicating sunlight lamps (unless you are a vampire of course )
Old 2010-02-07, 07:28   Link #3455
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Vitamin D deficiency.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 12:32   Link #3456
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

You've probably felt it before, at least once in your life: that prickly, electrical sensation running down the back of your neck, a tiny signal that someone is behind you.

So, I'm wondering if anyone had come across studies on this form of perception?

Anyone who's watched enough wuxia or chambara shows will no doubt recall classic references to 殺气, (sha qi, or saki), commonly translated as "bloodlust"; it usually comes up in scenes where the hero(es) senses life-threatening danger nearby.

I'm curious whether such sensations are related.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 14:18   Link #3457
Woopzilla
Desensitized

That reminds me of City Hunter and Angel Heart. They seem to have senses that warn them whenever a gun is aimed at them.

Perhaps the feeling of someone being behind you is just picking up small sounds subconsciously without focusing on them? Maybe body heat? Could possibly be a natural instinct/ability to keep ourselves alive?

I don't think there's ever been any scientific proof of this though... or at least I can't find anything.
Old 2010-02-07, 19:00   Link #3458
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There's an idea that subtle changes in air currents are detectable by the "small rodent" parts of our brain (as well as the 'microsound' detection). So the presence of a body or its breathing is enough to jiggle the air around you which your body hairs and skin would notice. But no, I've not seen any research on the phenomenon. And yeah... I've had the experience myself. Even the cat can't hide from me.
Old 2010-02-07, 19:24   Link #3459
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

EDIT : I am not talking about Presence or Feeling One's Presence but pure Blood Lust .

Blood-lust has more to do with fiction when considering humans . The word has its association/origins with animals . Yeah when we do get angry, we give out hormones . But the human nose is incapable of identifying such smells . Animals on the other hand, can sense such smells and use these very smells/odors to intimidate .

So what I am trying to says is humans cant feel blood-lust . We can see it, but visuals conception has nothing to do with actual intent (murder) . Appearances are deceptive ... here is a picture of a famous murderer ....

Spoiler:

Old 2010-02-08, 05:10   Link #3460
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
You've probably felt it before, at least once in your life: that prickly, electrical sensation running down the back of your neck, a tiny signal that someone is behind you.

So, I'm wondering if anyone had come across studies on this form of perception?

Anyone who's watched enough wuxia or chambara shows will no doubt recall classic references to 殺气, (sha qi, or saki), commonly translated as "bloodlust"; it usually comes up in scenes where the hero(es) senses life-threatening danger nearby.

I'm curious whether such sensations are related.
I've occasionally gone on research binges trying to find reputable studies on issues such as this, and I've always come back empty-handed.

A century ago, when so much more of the world's body of scientific study consisted of "taking shots in the dark", research like this wasn't as uncommon, but it didn't tend to get anywhere, either. Today, when there are other things to study that we understand much better, there just isn't as much room for reputable research into phenomenon where we don't even know what we're looking for or how to consistently evoke it, much less how we'd observe it. Add to that the wide body of frauds, pseudo-scientists, and pseudo-spiritualists who have so much public mindshare and I can see how real researchers are put off of it. (Especially those with the "If I can't explain it, it doesn't exist" mindset. It's a very bad mindset for a scientist to have, but ego often prevails.)

The closest I've seen to research that might begin to touch on the issue are some studies about the body's electromagnetic field.
Harold Saxton Burr was a professor of anatomy at Yale who, along with his successor, made some very curious observations in this area... but he went on to make some conclusions that were real stretches of logic. He believed that certain things could be observed by changes in the field and went further in believing that the body could actually be effected by changes to the field. If he was right on any of those points, well, it's presently lost thanks to his overeagerness overcoming his better sense.
Burr's research had some resemblance to the earlier works of Walter John Kilner, whodidn't make the wild conclusions that Burr did. Unfortunately, regardless of lack of tenuous speculation presented as theory and regardless of the intriguing patterns observed, Kilner's research ultimately didn't amount to much more than "Hey, if you look through this dye you can kind of see a haze".

Which isn't that I think electromagnetic fields are an adequate explanation for the phenomenon. Those are, simply, the most reputable lines of study I've thus far found that could be related to the subject. Today, as interesting and occasionally (thus far) inexplicable as they are, those would hardly be considered "real science". Anything else I've found looks more like what we saw Bill Murray doing in the early scenes of "Ghostbusters".

I have experiences (concrete, numerous... and unfortunately untestable) that put me in the position of being unable to dismiss such phenomenon as coincidence, imagination, or fantasy. For that reason, I find study of the subject fascinating, but I remain very realistic about any explanations I see. Being a person of faith, I could see it being something we'd call "spiritual", but I don't believe that means we couldn't study it scientifically... just that we don't know how yet.

If you make any interesting finds, I'd be very curious to hear!

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.

Last edited by Kyuusai; 2010-02-08 at 13:57.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious