AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-16, 14:28   Link #1201
SwiftStrike
Reaching for the Heavens

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsky123 View Post
its gonna be dammmm painful
would it even be felt first?
Old 2009-01-16, 15:07   Link #1202
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftStrike View Post
would it even be felt first?
probably, its not like your nerves get damaged.
Old 2009-01-16, 17:06   Link #1203
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
probably, its not like your nerves get damaged.
Once blood stops flowing you pass out....
Old 2009-01-20, 10:14   Link #1204
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSM View Post
Once blood stops flowing you pass out....
actually, i have no idea . i dont think anyone has ever gotten their blood reversed lol
Old 2009-01-20, 10:26   Link #1205
ZippyDSM

Quote:
actually, i have no idea . i dont think anyone has ever gotten their blood reversed lol
Reversed no but stopped yes :P

If the flow slows enough you go dizzy and pass out.
Old 2009-01-30, 05:06   Link #1206
elroid

are there any sub group which will sub the promo video for the blu-ray/dvd special? i really wanted to know what are the question which angers kanzaki so much
Old 2009-01-31, 13:54   Link #1207
ZippyDSM

Seen ep 17 Tsuchimikado is such a rule breaker and kinda cool...bad taste in clothing...but you can't have everything. :P

Most of the characters are pretty neat but he takes the cake so far being cool.
Any other new Tsuchimikado fans?
Old 2009-01-31, 15:18   Link #1208
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Seen ep 17 Tsuchimikado is such a rule breaker and kinda cool...bad taste in clothing...but you can't have everything. :P

Here's one. I wanna to know more about that crazy dude. BTW what magic does Mothorau does anyway?
Old 2009-01-31, 15:21   Link #1209
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:

If he died like he should, then yeah, I would have thought he was cool, but thanks to that anti-climatic little plot device of an ability which saved him, I just want to punch him and throw him in the grave where he should belong.
And that voice+way of talking is creepy...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2009-01-31, 15:31   Link #1210
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Here's one. I wanna to know more about that crazy dude. BTW what magic does Mothorau does anyway?
the wiki says hes a In'yōjutsu-shi, I can't find a definition, I know jutsu is skill or skilled, shi user? but inyo I don't know is ir lore/demon based?Its a class of Japaneses priest that much is obvious.

I thought he was a Onmyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
If he died like he should, then yeah, I would have thought he was cool, but thanks to that anti-climatic little plot device of an ability which saved him, I just want to punch him and throw him in the grave where he should belong.
And that voice+way of talking is creepy...
Hes a crazy character, a rule breaker(I was a mage now I am epser I can use magic but it will kill me...oh and my esper ability is regeneration...so I can;t really die from using magic :P) and kinda cool in a odd way, I like him :P
Though I want to punch him for his clothing style :P
Old 2009-02-01, 10:45   Link #1211
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Motoharu Tsuchimikado.

Good:

- Rule Breaker! (I am a mage, but I can't use magic or I'll die... oh wait, my esper ability is to regenerate my own body. So I can't really die either... time for a spell!)
- He's just awesome. Casting a badass-looking spell to stop Angel's Fall from working while just standing there, hands in pocket and what's more, wearing that aloha shirt and shorts with shades.

Bad:
- Damn I really thought he was going to oppose Touma. Well he actually didn't, I was glad, but then he flattened Touma's house. What the... -_-;;
- His speech style. Adding "-nya" at the end of sentences and calling Touma "Kami-yan" kinda irks me a bit.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2009-02-07, 04:06   Link #1212
Argent

Am I the first to comment on Ep 18?

Well, no spoilers, but what does everyone think Touma's "messed up" answer was?
Old 2009-02-07, 19:41   Link #1213
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent View Post
Am I the first to comment on Ep 18?

Well, no spoilers, but what does everyone think Touma's "messed up" answer was?

Somthing totally embarrassing that any normal person wouldn't be able to say it
Old 2009-02-07, 23:11   Link #1214
jwai

Haha, the DVD extra episode was pretty funny at points:

Spoiler:
Old 2009-02-08, 08:07   Link #1215
Decors

New Charactors / Voice : ep 19 - 24
Spoiler for charactors:
Old 2009-02-08, 08:21   Link #1216
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Oh. Another of the Black Siblings joins the cast (Taniyama Kishou (Kittan), Satou Rina (Kiyoh) and now Asuma Kana (Kiyal)). Now we just need Ueda Kana (Kinon) and we'd have the whole set.
Old 2009-02-08, 23:14   Link #1217
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
Motoharu Tsuchimikado.

- His speech style. Adding "-nya" at the end of sentences and calling Touma "Kami-yan" kinda irks me a bit.
Well Motoharu is trying to be cute. -yan is what little tikes say when can't say -chan suffix yet.

Nya in place of Desu or De Arimasu or De Gozaru. He is trying to cute his age. He can't compare to his meido Imouto Maika though.
Old 2009-02-09, 01:42   Link #1218
nanikore
What. Is THIS

To Aru Majutsu no Index, a Christian perspective

(See title)

Because of my encounters with posters outside of Animesuki Forums and their numerous complaints, the beginning of this post now comes with the following three disclaimers:
  1. The post is not an attempt at explaining or exposing "problems" with the series. It is an attempt at weaving a Christian narrative (i.e. Looking at the same set of things but from a Christian point of view) out of it because the original wasn't one.
  2. Obviously, the particular instances of "Church of England" and other items in the series are fictional. Whichever implications the original author tried to make isn't important in my narrative- I'm not trying to interpret the intent of the original author and I think that much is obvious. (I've stated the disclaimer inside the post itself, but since some fans do not read two sentences into a post before complaining I'd have to state it here again)
  3. If my writing seems "pointless" and/or "boring" to you then that's that- I have no obligation to make people see the points I'm making. Either a reader does, or does not. Presentation does not automatically entail an argument! Discussion is fine if one sees something and wants to clarify, but if someone doesn't see any point to me writing something... I'm not forcing people to read.

-----------------------------

I do not need to state the obvious references to Christianity in the series To Aru Majutsu no Index, so I'll get right to the points I'd like to make for those who might be interested:
  • Magic and the actions of the church authorities: The practice of magic in my opinion amounts to a great abuse of God's creation. The actions of the Church of England in the story (Disclaimer: fictional distinctions are of another topic- we will treat references of people, places, actions and events in the series as "real" within the world of the series) serve as an important illustration that the actions of a church and its constituents do not necessarily reflect the will of God. Would God want the Church of England to do what it did in the story? No- and the story actually reflects this as I will point out later. An very big example of this in our world would be the misdeeds of the Crusades, where corrupt bishops led a great many down a bloody path of slaughter (In post-Roman times there is a great "corruption", for the lack of a better word, in the supposed Christian constistuency, for Christianity become dilluted to become some kind of "fashion" as it was fashionable to be Christian at the time... Many were without the understanding what being a Christian entails or what being a Christian means) that would mar the history of the church forever. Such was the disobedience and willfulness of man, not of God.
  • The origin of super abilities (ESPers): If people with these abilities exist, why would God create such anomolies for their abuse to occur? Christian theodicies regarding the existence and consequence of human free will and their role in the trials of humanity would say something akin to the following: The ESPers are brought into the world so that people would see that ultimately, they should place their destiny in the hands of God and not in their own. The powers given to them are abused on their own hands, thus the trials and tribulations. ESPers have the option not to use their power. They may think that they do not, but they do. (ref. the story of the "sisters" and the tests.)
  • The role of the Imagine Breaker: The utterly unexplained and a power to dispel a calamity that is not of this world, The Imagine Breaker is God's remedy to the world's plague of magic and ESP. Not for man to resort to magic or ESP which cause even more harm to come into the world, but to rely upon what could not be scientifically or rationally analyzed- an intervention of God. In this light, the worldly efforts of man (e.g. the Churches and the ESPer school) are rendered empty and fruitless, and the "Necessarius" utterly unnecessary. The grimoires should not have been sealed away within Index... In such way was the church organization's unchaste motives exposed. They should have been destroyed. Abuse should not be countered with more abuse, and genuine prayer for God's mercy and providance should replace diseased incantations of the occult.

Last edited by nanikore; 2009-02-09 at 01:49. Reason: misspelling
Old 2009-02-09, 02:09   Link #1219
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanikore View Post
(See title)

Because of my encounters with posters outside of Animesuki Forums and their numerous complaints, the beginning of this post now comes with the following three disclaimers:
  1. The post is not an attempt at explaining or exposing "problems" with the series. It is an attempt at weaving a Christian narrative (i.e. Looking at the same set of things but from a Christian point of view) out of it because the original wasn't one.
  2. Obviously, the particular instances of "Church of England" as well as everything else in the series are fictional. Whichever implications the original author tried to make isn't important in my narrative- I'm not trying to interpret the intent of the original author and I think that much is obvious. (I've stated the disclaimer inside the post itself, but since some fans do not read two sentences into a post before complaining I'd have to state it here again)
  3. If my writing seems "pointless" and/or "boring" to you then that's that- I have no obligation to make people see the points I'm making. Either a reader does, or does not. Presentation does not automatically entail an argument! Discussion is fine if one sees something and wants to clarify, but if someone doesn't see any point to me writing something... I'm not forcing people to read.

-----------------------------

I do not need to state the obvious references to Christianity in the series To Aru Majutsu no Index, so I'll get right to the points I'd like to make for those who might be interested:
  • Magic and the actions of the church authorities: The practice of magic in my opinion amounts to a great abuse of God's creation. The actions of the Church of England in the story (Disclaimer: fictional distinctions are of another topic- we will treat references of people, places, actions and events in the series as "real" within the world of the series) serve as an important illustration that the actions of a church and its constituents do not necessarily reflect the will of God. Would God want the Church of England to do what it did in the story? No- and the story actually reflects this as I will point out later. An very big example of this in our world would be the misdeeds of the Crusades, where corrupt bishops led a great many down a bloody path of slaughter (In post-Roman times there is a great "corruption", for the lack of a better word, in the supposed Christian constistuency, for Christianity become dilluted to become some kind of "fashion" as it was fashionable to be Christian at the time... Many were without the understanding what being a Christian entails or what being a Christian means) that would mar the history of the church forever. Such was the disobedience and willfulness of man, not of God.
  • Depends on ones take of god, if God is a interactive perfect deity always directly meddling in the affairs of man than those with that mind set will say the chruch can do no wrong.

Those that believe God setup the world and its rule and let the system it/he/she put in place maintain order would say the church is not of God but of religion that worships it.

It all comes down on how much absolution people give the church, some see it as a extension of god some see it as a human organization under god where everyone else is, IE just another human thing.

IMO the less perfection and absolution is placed in/on/around religion the less petty and immature it is.

Quote:
  • The origin of super abilities (ESPers): If people with these abilities exist, why would God create such anomolies for their abuse to occur? Christian theodicies regarding the existence and consequence of human free will and their role in the trials of humanity would say something akin to the following: The ESPers are brought into the world so that people would see that ultimately, they should place their destiny in the hands of God and not in their own. The powers given to them are abused on their own hands, thus the trials and tribulations. ESPers have the option not to use their power. They may think that they do not, but they do. (ref. the story of the "sisters" and the tests.)
  • As man gains knowagle of gods world he finds new abilities and paths to take, that wisdome and experance brought about by such discoveries matures humanity.

In fiction magic is used as a means to a end, it is a skill like any other but one that can turn a single humans power into that of a army. Espers are no different in that regard as they are just another faction of humans that hold some power beyond human normalities.

Quote:
  • The role of the Imagine Breaker: The utterly unexplained and a power to dispel a calamity that is not of this world, The Imagine Breaker is God's remedy to the world's plague of magic and ESP. Not for man resort to magic or ESP which cause even more harm to come into the world, but to rely upon what could not be scientifically or rationally analyzed- an intervention of God. In this light, the worldly efforts of man (e.g. the Churches and the ESPer school) are rendered empty and fruitless, and the "Necessarius" utterly unnecessary. The grimoires should not have been sealed away within Index... In such way was the church organization's unchaste motives exposed. They should have been destroyed. Abuse should not be countered with more abuse, and genuine prayer for God's mercy and providance should replace diseased incantations of the occult.
One of the plot points was if Deep Blood proved that vampires exists then the Image breaker proves that God exists. And then what is God if its not a being that directly involves itself with us tis a being that watches from afar and lets us grow and mature with a minimal amount of assistance.

If God is the master/owner of the system, angels are rarely seen administrators, magic users merely workers for the different parts of the system or at least in this fictional setup it seems that's the case.

The Image breaker is a nullifying power to all "abilities" under creation.

Index is a inserting case, you have the grimoires that can not be thrown away yet can not be easily kept safe using a living being as the safe house (that's treated fairly well I might add) is an unorthodox method to protect it. Its better than some of things that are done in the name of "One". Its more unusual than cruel, using Touma as her new protector is also an unorthodox method of protection.. its both usual...and cruel to more Toumas head :P
Old 2009-02-09, 03:13   Link #1220
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
[*]Magic and the actions of the church authorities: The practice of magic in my opinion amounts to a great abuse of God's creation. The actions of the Church of England in the story (Disclaimer: fictional distinctions are of another topic- we will treat references of people, places, actions and events in the series as "real" within the world of the series) serve as an important illustration that the actions of a church and its constituents do not necessarily reflect the will of God. Would God want the Church of England to do what it did in the story? No- and the story actually reflects this as I will point out later. An very big example of this in our world would be the misdeeds of the Crusades, where corrupt bishops led a great many down a bloody path of slaughter (In post-Roman times there is a great "corruption", for the lack of a better word, in the supposed Christian constistuency, for Christianity become dilluted to become some kind of "fashion" as it was fashionable to be Christian at the time... Many were without the understanding what being a Christian entails or what being a Christian means) that would mar the history of the church forever. Such was the disobedience and willfulness of man, not of God.
Don't look too deeply as the author did not do Research. Statistically speaking Japan is the most non-religious state in the world.

The idea of a militant church over the supernatural has been around since Nasuverse came to be and became a interesting concept.

Quote:
[*]The origin of super abilities (ESPers): If people with these abilities exist, why would God create such anomolies for their abuse to occur? Christian theodicies regarding the existence and consequence of human free will and their role in the trials of humanity would say something akin to the following: The ESPers are brought into the world so that people would see that ultimately, they should place their destiny in the hands of God and not in their own. The powers given to them are abused on their own hands, thus the trials and tribulations. ESPers have the option not to use their power. They may think that they do not, but they do. (ref. the story of the "sisters" and the tests.)
Espers as explained in To Aru are some what naturaL. Call it evolution of humanity of sorts. Magic is said to have been created for normals to achieve that power.

That is why the Science and Magic sides try to get out of each other's way while hiding themselves from the mundanes.

Most of those in the Science side do not even know Magic exists.

But there must be a common denominator between the said powers that Imagine Breaker can nullify them.

Quote:
[*]The role of the Imagine Breaker: The utterly unexplained and a power to dispel a calamity that is not of this world, The Imagine Breaker is God's remedy to the world's plague of magic and ESP. Not for man to resort to magic or ESP which cause even more harm to come into the world, but to rely upon what could not be scientifically or rationally analyzed- an intervention of God. In this light, the worldly efforts of man (e.g. the Churches and the ESPer school) are rendered empty and fruitless, and the "Necessarius" utterly unnecessary. The grimoires should not have been sealed away within Index... In such way was the church organization's unchaste motives exposed. They should have been destroyed. Abuse should not be countered with more abuse, and genuine prayer for God's mercy and providance should replace diseased incantations of the occult.
Given the Schrödinger's cat paradx explaination of Komoe Tsukoyomi sensei about the origin of esper powers, a paradox is created by replacing reality with your own. The cat is both dead and alive.

We've seen this in a way with the Alchemist on how he twists reality.

So if Esper abilities and Magic defy natural laws Imagine Breaker returns them to the default normal reality.

Not mention Index noted Touma is a typical Japanese Atheist.
Closed Thread

Tags
fantasy, science fiction, shounen