AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

View Poll Results: Is Chidori a wasteful technique?
Yes, Chidori is wasteful. 53 52.48%
No, it is effective enough to justify the chakra usage. 43 42.57%
No opinion. 5 4.95%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-06-12, 22:31   Link #1
Don Roberto
President of Euroslavia

Is Chidori a wasteful technique?

In your opinions do you think Chidori is and overlall wasteful technique? I mean look at it, you only get to use it a set number of times in one day, and it reqiures a ridicoulos amount of chakra...for what? So you can stab anything and kill it (assuming you hit a vital area)?

This is not a (X Justu) vs Chidori topic, I'm just wondering other peoples thoughts on whether or not Chidori's chakra usage is justified by it's effectivness.
Don Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 22:35   Link #2
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
There already a crapload of Chidori threads.

But to answer your question. Chidori is a wasteful technique if a non-Sharingan user utilizes it. Sharingan users are able to see the enemies movements and predict their reactions, thus making the Chidori an efective technique for them and them alone.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 22:42   Link #3
Kayess
Guy From Canada

Lets see... how many times has the chidori actually killed the target? NONE! The only kill it has made in the anime/manga was against Haku.. but Haku wasn't even the target.

Most times it misses or not even used effectively... thus it is wasteful.
Kayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 22:44   Link #4
MrFuzzyBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayess
Lets see... how many times has the chidori actually killed the target? NONE! The only kill it has made in the anime/manga was against Haku.. but Haku wasn't even the target.

It did a pretty good job against Gaara in the stadium. Had that so called "demon" freaking out like a sissy.
MrFuzzyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 22:46   Link #5
Shadamehr

On a loosely related note, has anybody noticed that ultimate attacks rarely finish off the person they're used against? I'm not saying they all suck, just that Kishimoto doesn't really seem to like allowing circumstances to let them work...

Let's review all uses of ultimate attacks in order (tell me if I miss any):

Kakashi vs Zabuza: chidori hits the wrong person
Haku vs Naruto and Sasuke: demonic ice mirrors are broken
Lee vs Sasuke: renge gets interrupted
Sasuke vs Oro: dragon fire jutsu....well hey, he IS one of the sannin
Lee vs Sound nins: renge hits a dirt sponge
Zaku vs Sasuke: ultimate zankuuha misses
Sasuke vs chakra stealing guy: lion combo works (!)
Temari vs TenTen: Kamaitachi works (!)
Naruto vs Kiba: naruto rendan works (!)
Lee vs Gaara: renge fails
Lee vs Gaara: ura renge fails
Neji vs Naruto: 64 hands gets shrugged off
Sasuke vs Gaara: chidori doesn't kill him...3 times

Basically, chidori, 64 hands, and both versions of the renge have never finished anybody.... (well chidori killed Haku, but it wasn't meant to). The only fights that ended with ultimate moves were in the prelims, and those moves later get relegated to normal moves anyway (we see shishi rendan, naruto rendan, and kamaitachi getting used all over the place these days).

This just seems like a big departure from normal shonen manga where ultimate moves seem to be the only way to beat anybody.
Shadamehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 22:47   Link #6
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
So the technique is to be blamed because the user is incompetent or the situation is unfavorable?

Sasuke managed to penetrate Gaara's sand cacoon and damage his semi-Shukaku form twice...it is quite effective, but the chakra consumption is a bit too much to my taste.
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 23:43   Link #7
Kage Bunshin
Merely a shadow...

Well i guess you can say it is wasteful in terms of chakra usage. If kakashi uses it just 4 times in one day, he'll be totally exhausted. In chidori, it seems you can't really control the amount of chakra you put in to that jutsu.

Somewhere in the anime, jiraiya said chidori is a wasteful technique, and i believe that it is true when comparing with the rasengan. With the rasengan, you are able to control the amount of chakra you wish to put into the jutsu.
Kage Bunshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 00:02   Link #8
eLstar
(^_^)v

Quote:

That's horrible logic. You just stated Chidori hasn't killed anyone yet you admitted that Haku was done in for shortly afterwards. Even if Haku wasn't the desired target, that doesn't make it wasteful it just means that Kakashi missed his target because someone got in the way or that Chidori is effective in killing someone.

Spoiler:

But in terms of being wasteful, I'd say it would be. You'd obviously should only pull it out for a battle you want to end quickly.
eLstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 00:11   Link #9
HoboGod
Necromancer

chidori is a trump card. there is probably no other technique which can peirce things so easily. it is the perfect assasination technique. the only way it is wasteful is if an idiot like naruto uses it.
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 00:16   Link #10
ChronoReverse

Of course, if you're planning to assasinate someone, you'd use something that's far less flashy and easy-to-see-coming than Chidori.

Chidori might be a powerful skill, but for its stated purpose of assasination, it's really not the best tool for the job.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 00:37   Link #11
Kamui4356
Aria Company

While it is a wasteful jutsu, that's not the point of the chidori. Sure Kakashi says it's a jutsu for assassination, but let's look at it objectivily.
1. It uses a lot of chakara.

2. It's really loud.

3. it's bright and flashy.

When you break it down, the true purpose of the chidori becomes clear, to make the user look cool.
Old 2004-06-13, 01:02   Link #12
ziphra
Seed Whore Galore!?!

Send a message via AIM to ziphra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
While it is a wasteful jutsu, that's not the point of the chidori. Sure Kakashi says it's a jutsu for assassination, but let's look at it objectivily.
1. It uses a lot of chakara.

2. It's really loud.

3. it's bright and flashy.

When you break it down, the true purpose of the chidori becomes clear, to make the user look cool.
LOL Darn right it makes the user look cool!
Well I said it wasn't. Dunno quite why though. It's a pretty neat technique, Kakashi's only original. Intended purpose was for assassination? Well...you could say so, and I agree that it IS. Why? hmm...

1. Chakra usage. Yes its a hell of a lot of Chakra. But Kakashi must have tons of Chakra, and Sasuke has an irregularly large amount for a genin, correct? So its OK, however Sasuke did not use the move for its intended purpose. He used it to break into Gaara's Sand Cocoon thingie. Still..it did connect to Gaara's body and he did bleed, so either the Chidori is a crap move, or that Sand is some good stuff. I'm going for the latter.

2. Apparent noise. Sure its loud, but you can use that to your advantage! Situation: Let's say you are a jounin team sent to assassinate an important figure. You have two normal nins, and you with the Sharingan and Chidori [you have Sharingan just to make this more plausible]. Two nins wait elsewhere, while you begin to charge your Chidori. The distinct noise draws the attention of the guards around the victim. This gives a great opportunity for your teammates to attack, and if in the event they fail, you can dodge the oncoming guards using the Sharingan and directly attack the victim. End Situation. But maybe...its SO LOUD that its almost DEAFENING? I mean...Sakura was pretty high up in the stadium, as was everyone else. Yet they ALL HEARD the "Thousand Birds" cry out. If you were pretty up close to such a sound, maybe it hurts the ears? Or maybe that stadium was acoustically tuned. I dunno...

3. Illumination. Ok this one is probably a toughie. Hmm...maybe this is really just to make it look cool. Again the light can be used for OTHER purposes, but in terms of assassination, maybe to scare the victim? But what ninja in their world hasn't seen a lightning jutsu before? Bah we wouldn't know. Can't use the extreme brightness argument 'cause then...how would the user see. So...I dunno.

just IMO though. Overall, I'm guessing Kakashi's thought was on reverse psychology. Since most guards in their world are going to be nins, they would expect an assassination attempt with a ninja-like attack. But when you come head first rushing into the room at blinding speeds with a lightning ball held tightly in your hand and dodging attacks [if you have the Sharingan], then I'm pretty sure s very surprised Nin would crap his pants. I like the move, though I like combo's better.
ziphra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 01:05   Link #13
K9Platnum685
Dark Hadou Master

Send a message via AIM to K9Platnum685
But Kakashi must have tons of Chakra

-_-

Edit: When Kakashi uses the Sharingan it takes up stamina(or chakra don't know which one) because the Sharingan does not mix well with anything that is not Uchiha Blood. And the Chidori also takes up Chakra.
K9Platnum685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 01:07   Link #14
ziphra
Seed Whore Galore!?!

Send a message via AIM to ziphra
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Platnum685
But Kakashi must have tons of Chakra

-_-
lol what? i think he does.

*looks around*
*runs and hides*

EDIT: late, i know. But I get it now! LOL. Yea Kakashi must run out quickly with the Sharingan and the usage of the Chidori. *sigh* If only we could see Itachi bust out a Chidori or two or fifty. ^_^

Last edited by ziphra; 2004-06-13 at 15:15.
ziphra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 06:05   Link #15
_Riku_

okey.. everytime they've used chidori has been on a super guy... except Zabuza.. Haku was just very fast ).....

Sasuke's chidori actually saved Konoha.. if Gaara would go inte shakuka(can't spell it) in the arena... konoha woul've died....

and then later.. okey.. it didn't work very well.. since Gaara can take that damage and the regenerate...

and against Ita... well he's juust tooooo good....

but if Sasuke would try to use the chidori on the normal genins... they would have died in just a second
_Riku_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 08:33   Link #16
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Hmmmm, touchy subject this, Garaa in Shakaku mode stage one laughed at the jutsu, Jiraiya said it wasen't much, and Itachi simply nudged it aside.
So i say it prolly is a very good jutsu, unless you're fighting against someone above jounin level.

Plus its said that Kakashi split lightning with this jutsu, don't ask me why he did it but suposedly he did.
That i would like to see animated
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 08:40   Link #17
PathofNightshade
Scruffy Nerf Herder

Send a message via AIM to PathofNightshade
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboGod
chidori is a trump card. there is probably no other technique which can peirce things so easily. it is the perfect assasination technique. the only way it is wasteful is if an idiot like naruto uses it.
Yup, the crashing sound of a thousand birds is the best way to sneak up for an assassination. Assasination needs to be silent, intelligent and executed quickly. We all saw Sasuke Charging down the wall, and it took a good 5 or 6 seconds for him to reach gaara. At this rate, anyone could either get out of the way, or run. I think its a terrible assasination technique, and it uses a shitload of chakra.
PathofNightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 08:48   Link #18
Palani
///_^

I think the whole concept of the assasination technique was ripped out of context. What was probably meant that it is an attack which finished off the opponent in one strike. As demonstrated by Haku it actually works. Though it has to be used strategically. Kakashi knows how to use it properly (well not always) and therefore for him it is an effective technique. Sasuke on the other hand seems to think it is the only technique that he posseses and after learning almost solely relies on it. When used startegically it is good, whilst used recklessly it stinks.
Palani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 09:44   Link #19
Kayess
Guy From Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranz
That's horrible logic. You just stated Chidori hasn't killed anyone yet you admitted that Haku was done in for shortly afterwards. Even if Haku wasn't the desired target, that doesn't make it wasteful it just means that Kakashi missed his target because someone got in the way or that Chidori is effective in killing someone.

Spoiler:

But in terms of being wasteful, I'd say it would be. You'd obviously should only pull it out for a battle you want to end quickly.

I know I shouldn't go against a moderator, but I did say target. Haku was NOT the target of the chidori, Zabuza was. Thus, the target was NOT killed, someone else was .

Therefore, the chidori CAN be considered a wasteful technique because it has yet to kill anyone it has intended it. For example, you throw shoot a bullet at President Bush, yet one of the secret service men take it instead. The desired result of President Bush being killed has NOT been accomplished.

Spoiler:
Kayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 10:00   Link #20
K9Platnum685
Dark Hadou Master

Send a message via AIM to K9Platnum685
Sasuke's chidori actually saved Konoha.. if Gaara would go inte shakuka(can't spell it) in the arena... konoha woul've died....

That sentence is so wrong. But I won't bash like everyone else seems to do when they spot some made a mistake.

Actually if Gaara would have killed Sasuke his need for more blood would have been fulfilled and Shukkaku would have been satisfied. But ACTAULLY using the Chidori on Gaara brought Shukkaku out for a little while.
K9Platnum685 is offline   Reply With Quote