AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 12 26.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 17 37.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 17.78%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 8.89%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 6.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-17, 07:00   Link #21
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I see people are starting to hate Yoko over a very stupid reason.

Spoiler for Episode 12:

Last edited by Shiroth; 2007-06-17 at 07:37.
Old 2007-06-17, 07:19   Link #22
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I see people are starting to hate Yoko over a very stupid reason.
I agree.

Spoiler:

Deathkillz, that post and your avatar so go together.

Last edited by orion; 2007-06-17 at 07:38.
Old 2007-06-17, 07:32   Link #23
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-06-17, 07:49   Link #24
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
ah yes i agree...!!!! *eye pops out*

my thoughts on this ep are on my blog

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-06-17, 10:06   Link #25
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
I agree.

Spoiler:

Well... the series was already written from the beginning and the final episode script was finished before the series started it's run on TV. What happened wasn't recently planned, it was decided from the beginning.
Old 2007-06-17, 12:39   Link #26
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There have been and are series that respond to the instant ratings.... they usually end up sucking from a story construction standpoint.

Personally, I kind of like how they're making the characters more complex and less one-dimensional. Nia and Yoko have a fairly complicated relationship since she's bounded in what was a trio set of buddies (Yoko, Simon, Kamina) who have suffered a loss and a sudden complication of feelings that may not get a chance to sort out.
Old 2007-06-17, 13:03   Link #27
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
I agree.

Spoiler:

I don't think this is new, I can think of a number of studios, game makers, authors etc. that appear to respond to popular opinion and have a character getting thrust into the limelight appear to be more than coincidence. One instance I know of for sure is Ken Akamatsu with Negima where Makie Sasaki won a character popularity poll, and Ken even admitted he had no real plans for her, but made her a major character after that poll.

Sometimes I think Lucky Star for example seems to respond to what the viewers appear to want to see, especially with Tsukasa's rise to popularity when previously she was far in the background of the Big Four and the sudden focus on her cell phone which proved popular the first time before she lost it, but we know it was written long before it ever aired. I'm feeling the same thing with Super-Nia lately who seems all too perfect in terms of personality and ability. Plus Yoko was never this nasty originally. I remember back to the first episode when Simon fell on top of her and she just smiled at his embarassment. Looking at this thread though, if Gainax is attempting to shift Nia in to the top female slot....it's working.

My guess is that they had some sort of focus group sample of people that think like the average viewer, sat them down and had them watch and comment on what they wanted to see before the later episodes were put to the drawing board.
Old 2007-06-17, 13:08   Link #28
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
if Gainax is attempting to shift Nia in to the top female slot....it's working.
Ehh?

I'd say its more of a shock as to what happened. Nia is pretty awesome in her own way, but she's no Yoko. I enjoy both characters for different reasons, though i'll always love Yoko more. She just gives of a bigger impression.

& what has happened to Nia is just one of the many ways of bringing Nia & Yoko closer as friends, aka good character development.

Last edited by Shiroth; 2007-06-17 at 13:18.
Old 2007-06-17, 13:18   Link #29
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
There have been and are series that respond to the instant ratings.... they usually end up sucking from a story construction standpoint.

Personally, I kind of like how they're making the characters more complex and less one-dimensional. Nia and Yoko have a fairly complicated relationship since she's bounded in what was a trio set of buddies (Yoko, Simon, Kamina) who have suffered a loss and a sudden complication of feelings that may not get a chance to sort out.
Destiny or Geass are perfect examples of this.
Old 2007-06-17, 18:02   Link #30
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

How many episodes were completed when Takami Akai resigned in April. Eighteen? To literally go back to the drawing board and make major changes to this series at the last minute sounds impractical and expensive. It seems more likely, at least to me, that Gainax anticipated Nia's popularity and were counting on it. If Gainax made any big changes, I'd guess that they'd be towards the end of the series.
Old 2007-06-17, 19:14   Link #31
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maids! Maids! Maids! View Post
How many episodes were completed when Takami Akai resigned in April. Eighteen? To literally go back to the drawing board and make major changes to this series at the last minute sounds impractical and expensive. It seems more likely, at least to me, that Gainax anticipated Nia's popularity and were counting on it. If Gainax made any big changes, I'd guess that they'd be towards the end of the series.
They won't make major changes... they were very pleased with the script for episode 26 so it would be silly to just alter that for this purpose. Nia's character was planned from the beginning and they're just developing her in a likable fashion. And actually watching the episode would make you realize they weren't antagonizing Yoko at all.

As for the 12 itself... Gainax still delivers, the episode was great all around. Visually very fun, intense and as a whole really charismatic. Weird the actual animation was better this time than in 11 but I don't complain as the large scale battle in the second half made me confident they will pull-off the promises for the season finale about the uncountable ganmen being launched to the sky as if they were fireworks, the graphic direction for it was impressive.

Anyway, anon subs are out.
Old 2007-06-17, 19:51   Link #32
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Actually, as a Pro-Nia Neutral-Yoko ANTI-Kamina fan, I actually like Yoko for once in this episode. The hair bit still irks me a little but Yoko did it to save Nia, so that evens things a little.

And I just realized what made me prefer Nia to Yoko, one has complete faith in her man, the other just worries about her man's recklessness. Or maybe because it irked me that Yoko chose Kamina over Simon.

I guess I still like watching cliched shows where the protagonist (NOT the guy besides him) exudes GAR, saves the day and the main heroine falls helplessly for him (NOT the guy besides him).

To each his own and NIA FTW!
Old 2007-06-17, 19:58   Link #33
X_Danny_X

seems they are making Nia the star attraction now over Yoko. Nia has better skills than Yoko overall as well after defeating Yoko in those game events.

damn, they are making Yoko a bad character now, not bad in terms of a villein but seeing and noticing reasons to hate her.

Nia did look cute in that swimsuit of hers but man i was dissappointed in Yoko covering up. Her dressing normally was more revealing than the swimsuit she had on.

Also that Blonde has an exact duplicate body of Yokos. She look good in that swimsuit of hers ...........pisssssssssssd.....HOT SIZZLE
Old 2007-06-17, 23:27   Link #34
tacobueno

Good, Nia's lookin' kinda cool now.
Old 2007-06-18, 01:01   Link #35
Hazies

Send a message via MSN to Hazies
This episode was pretty impressive imo, especially the second half. Good to see the animation is still holding up as the series gets closer to the middle. I especially liked the underwater part of the fight between Simon and Adiane, and the entire thing overall seemed to be back to the adventurous spirit of the earlier episodes (though the mood's a bit different, which I don't mind).
I like that they're fleshing out Viral's character a bit, even if he's still driven by a sort of one-dimensional urge to destroy Gurren-Lagann, it's a bit easier to relate to his character now. Should be interesting to see how he continues on from this episode, and if he might end up being a recurring villain throughout the remainder of the series.

9/10 from me.
Old 2007-06-18, 02:37   Link #36
Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Darkside
First Kamina and now Nia's hair. Unforgivable.
Old 2007-06-18, 02:57   Link #37
deviousj
Joker and Aoko fan

Send a message via AIM to deviousj
The obligatory beach episode did not disappoint; it delivered fun, fanservice, rampant sexual innuendos, a good fight, and shockingly enough for a beach episode character development! It was very good, but it wasn't as good as the last episode. Since I gave episode 11 a 9, I had to give this one a lower score. So, I ended up giving it a 8.

The show is returning to the feel of the earlier episodes, that of an adventure story with lots of humor.

The animation is still stellar. This alleviates many of my worries because the animation quality in many series starts to lower around this point. Maybe in a few episodes the animation quality may drop, but as of now I have no qualms. The series also seems to have a pretty big budget, so I'm not apprehensive about the future either.

The big issue in this episode is, of course, the development of the relationship between Nia and Yoko. Nia reached out to Yoko two times this episode: the first time by giving her a crab, and the second time by asking her to cut her hair. Nia apparently reached out to Yoko because Yoko was in a bad mood and was somewhat isolated from the main group. We discovered that Nia really trusts Yoko, or at the very least Yoko's skill with a rifle. When Yoko found out about Nia's trust in her, her demeanor towards Nia changed and she became closer to her.

Quote:
It makes you wonder why Gainax feels the need to degrade and demonize Yoko and edify Nia.
I do agree that Gainax is making Nia seem much better in comparison, but I don't agree that they're demonizing and degrading Yoko. If they wanted to do that, they would have done much better. In fact, I didn't see Yoko as unlikable at all. I find her actions and attitudes to be perfectly understandable in this episode. She went through the trouble of putting on a bathing suit (which just happens to be much less revealing than her normal attire) and all the guys do is complain; hell, one of them even said that "if you cover up Yoko like that, she's nothing to look at". She was reasonably irritated. Then, Nia comes in and gives everyone nosebleeds even though her swimsuit was less revealing than Yoko's; remember that this happened after Kittan said "the more visible skin, the better". After this, Yoko tried competing with Nia(and failing every time) probably to regain a little piece of her pride. Well, the frustration piled up and eventually reached a breaking point; Yoko then took out some of her frustration on Nia. That I didn't agree with, but I don't think I makes Yoko any less likable. Of course, she also ends up saving Nia's life( even though she took out her hair in the process), and made her very likable.

Viral received character development as well. His motive for antagonizing Gurren-Lagann grew again. This further diminishes the possibility that he'll defect in favor of the Gurren brigade. Of course, this doesn't diminish the possiblity of him defecting at all; it just raises the likelihood that he'll be in his own faction if he defects (which many of us think he eventually will).

Random, Incoherent Thoughts
Yoko got dominated, a lot.

Seeing the guys comment on how Yoko's bathing suit is less revealing than her normal clothing made me laugh.

Yoko is the designated pervent policewoman of the series.

Man, the innuendos in this episode were pretty blatant. The external bridge gets damaged and every guy on the ship grabs his crotch in pain. Gurren-Lagann propels the Dai-Ganzan out of the water and Lerron grabs his butt.

Kiyoh looks great in a bathing suit.

Gimi is always amusing.

Seeing everyone get a nosebleed upon seeing Nia in a bathing suit, and then seeing them pose afterwards made me laugh a lot.

Gurren-Lagann gets a new attack! It's not nearly as badass as Giga Drill Breaker, but it's still pretty cool.

Adiane dies! We lost the only character on the show with an eyepatch!

Gurren-Lagann is getting pretty broken. It tore apart Adine's ship like it was cheese.

Simon got way less screentime this episode. He pretty much only showed up to kick some ass.

I love the short guy who always jumps the gun. He makes me laugh every time.

I'm beginning to think that old man can do anything. He could probably even see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Adiane slapped Gurren-Lagann with Sayrune's tail the same way she slapped Viral with her own tail.

Nia's hair! Nia's hair! Admittedly, she is still pretty cute with the new chop, but she was much cuter before the haircut. I will now be quietly mourning the loss of her hair.

Yoko apparently spells doom. She kisses Kamina, and he dies. She takes out Nia's hair. She takes out Adiane. Let's hope she doesn't get too close to Simon, or at least that his main character plot-shield can hold up against her.

Nina's cooking next episode? This will be glorious.
Old 2007-06-18, 03:30   Link #38
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
The SimonxYoko pairing seems impossible now. Simon seems to have lost all interest since Nia's appearance. He didn't even say one word when Yoko was being shout at by those guys.
Old 2007-06-18, 05:41   Link #39
Scep
commands you to...!
*Artist

Overall, pretty nice character development. Nia is really taking over as the crew's favorite huh. Must say tho, I dont really like her short hairstyle. Maybe I'm just not used to it.
Old 2007-06-18, 06:11   Link #40
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptileex View Post
Must say tho, I dont really like her short hairstyle. Maybe I'm just not used to it.
Nobody does, at least not me.
Closed Thread