AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 12 26.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 17 37.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 17.78%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 8.89%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 6.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-18, 08:43   Link #41
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Nice episode, plenty of fun and action. I think Nia's new hairdo looks fine.
Old 2007-06-18, 11:16   Link #42
tacobueno

Short hair seems to lessen the moe-blob factor thus making the character more like-able for me.

Fight scenes were high win! I love it when they portray the Dai-Ganzan (or whatever its called) as an old WWII battleship or something, only getting to see the top half and not the silly leg things hehe.
Old 2007-06-18, 12:34   Link #43
wingnut2292
Go Get'em Tigers!

Send a message via AIM to wingnut2292
I liked the episode a lot! The swimsuits were cute, Nia's awesome, and Yoko is increasingly seeming like a real person. As a role-player, sometimes you have to have your character act in a certain way (like being a bitch to someone), even though you the player don't nessesarly want to. It's just good roll-playing. I give Gainax props for keeping Yoko in-character, even if it would just be easier if she was back to her old personality.

One of the themes I've picked up in Gurren-Lagann is inuendo and refreances to prior mecha anime shows. (Its almost like Gurren-Lagann isn't trying to make the most original show, but to best blend what has come before - and have fun while blending.) Nia for instance gives me strong Eureka and Ayanami Rei vibes. Simon is of cousre an analouge of Renton and Shinji. Yoko reminds me of Taho and Misato - Which is why I never predicted a Yoko/Simon relationship; Yoko's role is oneechan, not anata. The fact that Nia gets her hair cut is just another reference to her likeness to Eureka.

Last edited by wingnut2292; 2007-06-18 at 12:37. Reason: punctuation
Old 2007-06-18, 15:03   Link #44
LunaNeko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I don't know what to think anymore.. apart from lol Gainax.

Spoiler for Episode 12:
My cosplay is out-of-date!!!! *sobs*
Old 2007-06-18, 15:08   Link #45
Majek
Sm3rt teh M@d Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken View Post
Nobody does, at least not me.
I like it.

http://icandoit.mybrute.com - fight me !!
Old 2007-06-18, 15:27   Link #46
a hobbit
a hibbity hobbity hooobit

I prefer the long hair more, but the short is still good ^^
Old 2007-06-18, 15:50   Link #47
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut2292 View Post
I liked the episode a lot! The swimsuits were cute, Nia's awesome, and Yoko is increasingly seeming like a real person. As a role-player, sometimes you have to have your character act in a certain way (like being a bitch to someone), even though you the player don't nessesarly want to. It's just good roll-playing. I give Gainax props for keeping Yoko in-character, even if it would just be easier if she was back to her old personality.

One of the themes I've picked up in Gurren-Lagann is inuendo and refreances to prior mecha anime shows. (Its almost like Gurren-Lagann isn't trying to make the most original show, but to best blend what has come before - and have fun while blending.) Nia for instance gives me strong Eureka and Ayanami Rei vibes. Simon is of cousre an analouge of Renton and Shinji. Yoko reminds me of Taho and Misato - Which is why I never predicted a Yoko/Simon relationship; Yoko's role is oneechan, not anata. The fact that Nia gets her hair cut is just another reference to her likeness to Eureka.
You're not completely wrong... except Gurren-Lagann themes go back to a long time before Evangelion and Eureka Seven even existed.
Old 2007-06-18, 15:57   Link #48
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I don't know what to think anymore.. apart from lol Gainax.

Spoiler for Episode 12:
Don't worry hair grows again.

Damn 12 eps...Iam only at ep2!!! Iam missing alot...oh well that's life.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-06-18, 16:26   Link #49
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

Awesome!

The second half was crazy.Yoko was cool,the fight underwater was great and nukle was splendid.

Kamina's spirit lives on!
Old 2007-06-18, 16:27   Link #50
quina

Send a message via MSN to quina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Don't worry hair grows again.
Hope its soon... or we will have to wait till she grows up.
Old 2007-06-18, 17:32   Link #51
5_of_Spades

I don't see how having Yoko shoot Nia's hair to save her is degrading Yoko. In a situation where everyone panicked, Yoko was the only one who help steady and stayed cool-headed.

To me, this episode showed that the old Yoko before her depression over Kamina is slowly coming back.

(But then, the short hair doesn't do it for me either...)
Old 2007-06-18, 18:04   Link #52
Nvis
Where are the good animes

I find Yoko's rifle is strange.

Her shots on the Sayrune in the first encounter and on the Gember had no damage, yet she was able to blow a big hole in Sayrune's shoulder for this episode???? Did her gun get stronger?
Old 2007-06-18, 18:22   Link #53
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
I find Yoko's rifle is strange.

Her shots on the Sayrune in the first encounter and on the Gember had no damage, yet she was able to blow a big hole in Sayrune's shoulder for this episode???? Did her gun get stronger?
It's anime. Anything that doesn't make sense happens. If you think about it, why couldn't Yoko aim somewhere else instead???

Well actually Yoko's actions this time is pretty logical, if she were to aim somewhere else, Adiane would have just crushed Nia right then. But aiming at Nia (but slightly off) is a psychological ploy to trick Adiane. Well pretty standard hostage situation.

Also Sayrune is close and standing still, Yoko can aim carefully at the shoulder joint which is a weak part in the body. But beats me why her shot can still penetrate the armor.
Old 2007-06-18, 20:44   Link #54
quina

Send a message via MSN to quina
Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken View Post
It's anime. Anything that doesn't make sense happens. If you think about it, why couldn't Yoko aim somewhere else instead???

Well actually Yoko's actions this time is pretty logical, if she were to aim somewhere else, Adiane would have just crushed Nia right then. But aiming at Nia (but slightly off) is a psychological ploy to trick Adiane. Well pretty standard hostage situation.

Also Sayrune is close and standing still, Yoko can aim carefully at the shoulder joint which is a weak part in the body. But beats me why her shot can still penetrate the armor.
I too find the scene quite weird, well.. if Yoko know it would penetrate the armor, she should just aim for the cockpit -_-; may be she doesn't know where it is. (althought she already saw it in ep 10).

Another thing that surprise me is Yoko still shoot even when she know Nia will still fall to death. Luckily Jii helped her in time... don't give me that Yoko was anti-cipating Jii..
Old 2007-06-18, 22:01   Link #55
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

An anime character die from such a short fall? That'd be a first.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
Old 2007-06-18, 22:44   Link #56
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

She also has a variety of different bullets... the gun doesn't change but her bullet technology is always advancing thanks to her techno buddies.
Old 2007-06-18, 22:50   Link #57
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
She also has a variety of different bullets... the gun doesn't change but her bullet technology is always advancing thanks to her techno buddies.
My thoughts exactly. That, and Adiane was surprised at the exact point she aimed to, as it it was weak of sorts.
Old 2007-06-18, 23:41   Link #58
deviousj
Joker and Aoko fan

Send a message via AIM to deviousj
Quote:
Originally Posted by quina View Post
I too find the scene quite weird, well.. if Yoko know it would penetrate the armor, she should just aim for the cockpit -_-; may be she doesn't know where it is. (althought she already saw it in ep 10).
Well, if she aimed for the cockpit Adiane would probably kill Nia and that defeats the purpose of trying to rescue her. The shoulder joint is probably weak as well, at least in comparison to other parts. Also, the cockpit is probably well shielded because an attack to the cockpit would kill the pilot; so, the bullet may not be enough to pierce it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quina View Post
Another thing that surprise me is Yoko still shoot even when she know Nia will still fall to death. Luckily Jii helped her in time... don't give me that Yoko was anti-cipating Jii..
I'm not so sure that Nia will die from the fall even disregarding plot shielding. The fall seemed to be about 30-40 feet, maybe 50 feet max. A fall from that height wouldn't kill a person unless he or she suffered damage to the neck; the more likely scenario is that Nia would break a shoulder or her collarbone, but hey that's much better than death. Also, Yoko may not have taken the fall into account. The situation was a bit of a crisis; Yoko may have only taken into consideration how to remove Nia from Adiane's grasp while completely forgetting about fall. Another possibilty is that she did take the fall into account, but shooting the shoulder was the only course of action she could formulate with any chance of success.
Old 2007-06-19, 00:28   Link #59
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Correct. As stated int he show, her gun is basically a Gauss rifle. She says in episode 3 that it's electromagnetic allowing her to use a variety of ammunition from regular bullets to iron arrows (like the ones she used while hunting), and the electric bullet you see her commonly firing.

That information aside, Yoko shot TWICE and likely in the same soft spot to go straight through the Sayrune's weaker areas of plating. Yoko can take most units on with the rifle but even her rifle has had issues against heavily armored areas such as in Episode 5.
Old 2007-06-19, 11:02   Link #60
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Very fun episode i like Nia's new hairdo makes her look more like one of the rag tag crew. I found Yoko's jeslousy quite humerous and in a way it made her seem more like girl. Im seen so speculation on it already but im thinking more and more about how Simon and Nia's relationship will progress. I cant figure out if she likes him or if its just her bubble optimistic nature to beleive in him regardless of the situation. Either way there is no doubt she has a positive effect on Simon and the rest of the crew.