Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-24, 08:09   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

One Piece - Chapter 516 [Manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.
Old 2008-09-24, 08:15   Link #2
Bari_Phillis
It's a.... BEAM!

wooohoooo! first post?! what will the chapter be like?

I hope that the pirate queen is luffy's mom
Old 2008-09-24, 08:22   Link #3
Sakuranbo
So Like A Rose

This is all very interesting, it seems that Boa Hancock may be a Shichibukai after all I wonder though what the "Mero Mero" ability is, if I read it correctly it had something to do with "Stone" or "Love"? (maybe making someone fall in love with you??)
Old 2008-09-24, 10:16   Link #4
marvelB

Summary:

-Luffy tries to escape Amazon Lily, but he's assaulted by the amazons (including Margaret). When he examines the arrow that he was shot with, Margaret tells him that they're infused with Haki.

-It's confirmed that Boa Hancock is a Shichibukai. She meets with Vice Admiral Momonga (one of the Buster Call Vice Admirals if anyone's forgotten), who tells her she has to fight against Whitebeard. She doesn't want to, but also says she doesn't want to lose her Shichibukai status. She seems to have a DF ability called "Mero Mero", which turned Momonga's men into stone (Momonga himself resisted the power by stabbing himself). Momonga then tells Hancock that she has two days to decide whether or not she'll participate in the war....

Well, I think this confirms once and for all that only one day's passed since the events on Sabaody. I'm not surprised that the amazons know about Haki, since I figured that the seperation would result in Luffy learning a Haki-related ability. I wonder how strong Margaret is then, if she knows about it....

And I'm so glad that we got to see one of the Buster Call VAs again. I'm actually hoping that we see the rest of them appear at whatever locations the rest of the crew ended up at (I'm especially interested in seeing Doberman and Onigumo appear again). And... it looks like Hancock is NOT ugly after all (but her sisters sure are... ugh, one of them even has a forked tongue!). I can't wait to see how strong she really is....

All in all, another kickass chapter!

Last edited by marvelB; 2008-09-24 at 10:33.
Old 2008-09-24, 10:34   Link #5
Sakuranbo
So Like A Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Summary:

-Luffy tries to escape Amazon Lily, but he's assaulted by the amazons (including Margaet). When he examines the arrow that he was shot with, Margaret tells him that they're infused with Haki.

-It's confirmed that Boa Hancock is a Shichibukai. She meets with Vice Admiral Momonga (one of the Buster Call Vice Admirals if anyone's forgotten), who tells her she has to fight against Whitebeard. She doesn't want to, but also says she doesn't want to lose her Shichibukai status. She seems to have a DF ability called "Mero Mero", which turned Momonga's men into stone (Momonga himself resisted the power by stabbing himself). Momonga then tells Hancock that she has two days to decide whether or not she'll participate in the war....

Well, I think this confirms once and for all that only one day's passed since the events on Sabaody. I'm not surprised that the amazons know about Haki, since I figured that the seperation would result in Luffy learning a Haki-related ability. I wonder how strong Margaret is then, if she knows about it....

And I'm so glad that we got to see one of the Buster Call VAs again. I'm actually hoping that we see the rest of them appear at whatever locations the rest of the crew ended up at (I'm especially interested in seeing Doberman and Onigumo appear again). And... it looks like Hancock is NOT ugly after all (but her sisters sure are... ugh, one of them even has a forked tongue!). I can't wait to see how strong she really is....

All in all, another kickass chapter!
Well I guess this disproves the theory that the pink dressed/martini glass woman (with a large constrictor/anacoda) is Hancock, but more importantly it does prove that she IS a Shichibukai (women's rights ). I wonder if her ability to turn people into stone, and her connection to the Kuja Snake tribe Amazon Lily have anything to do with a sort of "Basilisk" theme.
Old 2008-09-24, 10:50   Link #6
ChaosPaladin
Bringer of Order & Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohei View Post
Well I guess this disproves the theory that the pink dressed/martini glass woman (with a large constrictor/anacoda) is Hancock, but more importantly it does prove that she IS a Shichibukai (women's rights ). I wonder if her ability to turn people into stone, and her connection to the Kuja Snake tribe Amazon Lily have anything to do with a sort of "Basilisk" theme.
her devil fruit and the connection with snakes make it seem like oda base her character design on medusa. so i wonder whether the way to beat her is like the legend, use a mirror and then slice off her head
Old 2008-09-24, 10:51   Link #7
marvelB

Quote:
I wonder if her ability to turn people into stone, and her connection to the Kuja Snake tribe Amazon Lily have anything to do with a sort of "Basilisk" theme.

More like Greek mythology. Hancock and her sisters are undoubtedly based on the three Gorgon sisters (Medusa, Stheno, and Euryale). Though Hancock herself seems to be the only one who has the "stone" power. I also have no doubt that she knows Haki as well, since Margaret is even familiar with that particular power....

And I must say, I love how Momonga is wearing a suit that's similar to the one Kizaru wore. I'd love to see him in action, as well. His appearance also strikes me as being one of a hardened veteran, like Doberman and Onigumo....

Edit: Heh, someone beat me to the Medusa connection. Still, from the spoiler pictures I saw, it doesn't look like Hancock's power is activated by eye contact so I don't think a mirror will do thr trick on her... just a strong will is necessary (as Momonga already proved).

Edit 2: I just found out another interesting bit of info: Amazon Lily is NOT in the New World.... it's an island in the Calm Belt. This instantly explains why the island seemed so remote (what with it being surrounded by Sea Kings and all). I guess this means that Kuma sent the rest of the crew to islands in the Calm Belt, as well....
Old 2008-09-24, 11:14   Link #8
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Ha, I guess I trusted your theory right. About Hancock being a Shichibukai.

The Amazons having strong Haki is not far-fetched, as a warrior race, they are brought up in an environment where the strong rules over the weak. They are literally brought up by intimidation. Like how the Amazons are afraid of Hancock finding out that a man has stepped on the island. This shows how much intimidation Hancock has imposed upon them.

Hancock's ability, I think is not limited to turning people to stone. Mero mero has several other meanings, being in a drunken daze and also the state where someone is charmed by attraction. An example is Sanji's Merorin Beam, using his power of love to shoot a love beam lol

To be meromero, you are so deeply in love with someone that you lose control of yourself.

I've thinking Hancock's ability takes her attraction to extreme levels, you can say she can make herself so attractive to you, that you become petrified. You can even say she has fatal attraction.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-09-24, 11:44   Link #9
marvelB

Y'know, the fact that Boa has a snake theme, along with the fact that she seems to have a "charming" DF power makes me think that she might "hypnotize" men in a similar manner to snake charming (by playing music or something like that). I'd find it highly amusing if she makes Luffy wriggle around like a snake in a basket.

Oh, and I rather like that hawk-like bird that's standing next to Hancock (he (she?) looks pretty badass). I wonder if that bird will turn out to be a DF weapon...?
Old 2008-09-24, 11:51   Link #10
Mazus

Another thing was mentioned by archanfel of AP. And that is Ace's execution date is set in exactly one week from now at a plaza in Marine HQ.
Old 2008-09-24, 11:56   Link #11
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Y'know, the fact that Boa has a snake theme, along with the fact that she seems to have a "charming" DF power makes me think that she might "hypnotize" men in a similar manner to snake charming (by playing music or something like that). I'd find it highly amusing if she makes Luffy wriggle around like a snake in a basket.
Fipskuul mentioned in the 515 thread, that the ability won't work on Luffy, I'd think the same. Seeing that Luffy is oblivious to female charms.

Luffy is mega combination of characteristics and abilities that makes him immune to lots of things lol

And Ace getting an execution in 1 week of One Piece? I guess that means 2-3 years later for us.

Old 2008-09-24, 11:58   Link #12
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazus View Post
Another thing was mentioned by archanfel of AP. And that is Ace's execution date is set in exactly one week from now at a plaza in Marine HQ.

^Also forgot to mention the name of Hancock's sisters: Boa Sandersonia and Boa Marigold. Also, the name of Hancock's pirate crew is the "Kuja Pirates", which makes her the SECOND Shichibukai so far that gets to keep their crew (the other being Moria, of course).

Oh, and Hancock's apparently quite spoiled, which she justifies with her beauty. I wonder how old she is, though? She's the oldest of the three Boa sisters, according to the translation. There's still that slight chance that she'll turn out to be Luffy's mother....
Old 2008-09-24, 12:12   Link #13
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Now the correct thread...

Hancock has a great ability...an ability that won't work on Luffy. Additionally, Luffy will get the chance to learn about Haki. So, great fortunes coming one after the other for him. If that is also the case for the others, then when they all come together again, all of them will be a completely different person (and, going a bit ahead, it may seem like the islands are selected specifically by taking into account everyone's characteristics, no wonder Rayleigh surprised, especially if he heard the names Garp and Dragon as the masterminds for that plan, though I highly doubt it, nothing to lose by mentioning).
Old 2008-09-24, 12:15   Link #14
james0246

Props to Oda for having a female become one of the "big" villains (she is not the big, but still part of the elite), too bad her power is so silly. Still, this more than fulfills my mental wish list for One Piece, so I am going to put a big mental check next to female Shichibukai box, and twiddle my thumbs in anticipation of an upcoming fight (hopefully Oda have Luffy actually fight her, sadly enough, I can also imagine that Oda will have Luffy beat Boa only for to then become like the other uber attractive female pirate (Alvida), falling in love with Luffy (which I am not that interested in)...)
Old 2008-09-24, 12:21   Link #15
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Hancock's ability silly?

Don't you see its another form of Haki? She has double layers of aura.

You can't dominate your opponent by fear? Why not dominate them with your charms?

Nothing created by Oda is silly, he makes the silliest things the most badass.

Old 2008-09-24, 12:40   Link #16
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Hancock's ability silly?

Don't you see its another form of Haki? She has double layers of aura.

You can't dominate your opponent by fear? Why not dominate them with your charms?

Nothing created by Oda is silly, he makes the silliest things the most badass.
I meant silly quite literally (as in the anime gag of men occasionally briefly turning to stone (the shocked expression, with the characters mouth hung open with their tongue hanging out) when presented with something shocking or perverted). That being said, the ability is also a little silly in the respect that this is the first time we have a world renowned female villain, and her base power is extreme sex appeal (I can just imagine Oda thinking to himself, "Hmm, what powers should Whitebeard have...well he is a muscular man, so he needs something uber powerful...I got it he'll have Superman level strength, and be near-invulnerable. Now, what power should Boa have...I got it, she is a woman, so her power is attractiveness mixed with haki!"). Once we see more of what she can do, I will undoubtedly withdraw my statement, but until then she seems to only have, as Huey Lewis used to say, the "Power of Love".
Old 2008-09-24, 12:42   Link #17
marvelB

Yeah, I kinda saw Hancock's power as being a form of Haki as well, which would mean that there could be a chance that it would have some sort of effect on Luffy, considering how powerful she is (maybe the charms could effect him subconsciously?). Too bad we haven't got any info on her former bounty so far. I'd like to see just how notorious she was before she got her Shichibukai status....

Oh, and I wonder if we'll see any other high-tier Kuja pirates aside from Hancock's sisters? Depending on whether or not any other Straw-Hats aside from Luffy are on Amazon Lily (or if Aphelandra and Sweetpea decide to join forces with Luffy and Margaret), those particular three may not be the only main "bosses" to worry about. Momonga doesn't really strike me as being a threat, since he seems more concerned about the Whitebeard situation (and he's not allowed to set foot on Amazon Lily anyway)....
Old 2008-09-24, 12:49   Link #18
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

At least she is really beautiful, for the story's standards (or maybe more). And, that means, if Lola is her daughter, either she has a strange taste in men, like monsters, or Lola is just some kid she came across during one of her battles.

And of course, her being a Shichibukai along the standards of Crocodile (in terms of the value she gives to them) is a good news. Lastly, how is Garp still a vice admiral? It feels like he is levels above the current guy who was about to get wasted (considering the ones with him had already done so).
Old 2008-09-24, 12:49   Link #19
Rainbowman

Quote:
Well I guess this disproves the theory that the pink dressed/martini glass woman (with a large constrictor/anacoda) is Hancock.
Well maybe the picture is a design concept of Boa Hancock before we're to be introduced to the final version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosPaladin View Post
her devil fruit and the connection with snakes make it seem like oda base her character design on medusa. so i wonder whether the way to beat her is like the legend, use a mirror and then slice off her head
I agree except for having to slice off her head in this story.

Quote:
Summary:

-Luffy tries to escape Amazon Lily, but he's assaulted by the amazons (including Margaret). When he examines the arrow that he was shot with, Margaret tells him that they're infused with Haki.
I can't believe Marguerite would attack Luffy after she was fascinated with his being. (gulp)

Quote:
Finally we get to see the last original Shichibukai that completes the list. All that's left is to see the appearance of Jimbei in the Fishman Island arc. I'm guessing Boa Hancock's DF ability (Mero Mero no mi) is paramecia in that sense.

Quote:
I'm surprised that Momongo appeared again myself. I wouldn't mind seeing the rest of the Buster Call VAs again and here's how:

Strawberry meeting with either Kizaru or Akainu
Yamakaji somewhat acting lazy; a speculation because of his goofy grin
Doberman helping in the Whitebeard war (or cleaning up after the war)
Onigumo hoping to get permission from Sengoku to wipe out the Strawhat crew once and for all

BTW, think I can see a picture of Boa Hancock and her sisters?

Last edited by Rainbowman; 2008-09-24 at 13:29.
Old 2008-09-24, 13:41   Link #20
marvelB

Oh yeah, I mentioned before that Amazon Lily's in the Calm Belt, but I just found out now that the reason Hancock's crew can sail around it is because her ship is supported by gigantic venomous snakes called "Yuda", which even sea kings are afraid of. The Kuja pirates are truly a formidable group of ladies....
Closed Thread