AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Durarara!!

Notices

View Poll Results: Durarara!! - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 21 31.34%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 18 26.87%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 29.85%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 5.97%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 4.48%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.49%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-15, 20:06   Link #41
xxBluebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
His expression was worried, almost as if he just ate bad sushi. The fact that he threw the cards and went whatever showed him avoiding to admit who the wild card could be. Now maybe I'm reading too much into the scene, but there was something very un-Izaya like about his reaction.
Now I'm suspicious there's going to someone barging into DRRR all Aizen-style and ruining/saving/chaos-ing everything as Jokers tend to do unless you're playing without Jokers which is totally wimpy and unfun. Someone who isn't Izaya, I mean. Mikado, maybe? I remember someone (anime or comment, I'm not sure) mentioning not even Izaya knowing what sort of Mikadopwnage he's unleashed. But I can't see Izaya being (outwardly) scared of anyone.

I liked the VA they chose for Saki. She sounds cool in the anime, but her actual character is... :\

Kida and Saki are really cute together, actually. If only Saki wasn't so trusting in Izaya.
Old 2010-05-15, 21:50   Link #42
maplehurry

Kida totally disappointed me when he chickened out there.

Quote:
If only Saki wasn't so trusting in Izaya.
Well, even Kida put his trust in Izaya there until he got betrayed.
Old 2010-05-16, 04:33   Link #43
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
Well, even Kida put his trust in Izaya there until he got betrayed.
It's a bit different. Saki doesn't just trust Izaya, she whorships him completely. At least she's aware of it so there's still hope for her. I really wonder what Izaya did for/to her to have her worship him so much.

A little question about Saki: at the "beginning" (actually the end) of the flashback, we see her with both her legs in plaster, yet she only gets her left leg broken later on. Is it an error or am I missing something?
Old 2010-05-16, 04:35   Link #44
Crontica

Man Izaya is an asshole why hasn't Shizuo plummeted him yet?
Old 2010-05-16, 04:39   Link #45
StudioJC
Loser-Bum

Quote:
Man Izaya is an asshole why hasn't Shizuo plummeted him yet?
He seems to be under the protection of Simon who in turn seems to be on Izaya's payroll.
Old 2010-05-16, 06:09   Link #46
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioJC View Post
He seems to be under the protection of Simon who in turn seems to be on Izaya's payroll.
Not likely. It's just that Simon doesn't want things being thrown around when he is about. It is bad for business.

Simon wouldn't take Izaya's money anyway. The guy seem to have standards.
Old 2010-05-16, 08:44   Link #47
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Well, he IS working at a sushi shop instead of taking assassination requests...Izaya looks like the villain of the story in this episode, bringing everyone together and turning them against each other...but I suspect he will get his tragic moments in the end, which is the part I probably won't like :P
Kida's story was touching, I wonder if he'll find out that Anri is the slasher or not...finding out about Mikado by himself is much more unlikely, although Izaya will probably tattle on him for teh lulz at some point, just to destroy Kida's life.
Old 2010-05-16, 10:34   Link #48
KuroTsuki14

Spoiler for Epi 18:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Spoiler for 18:
Spoiler for Saki & Anri:

Last edited by KuroTsuki14; 2010-05-16 at 10:52.
Old 2010-05-16, 10:36   Link #49
Crystal Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I can't believe Yumasaki opened his eyes. I can't believe how badass the Otaku gang are. I mean I just thought it was Dotachin.
If you want to see how badass Erika and Walker are: here is a scene that was downplayed in the anime, but definitly not in the manag:
http://beta.onemanga.com/Durarara/7/24/
Old 2010-05-16, 10:41   Link #50
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Nice epi, Kida's backstory about the Yellow Scarves was something I was looking forward too. Interesting that Dotachin and company were in the Blue Squares originally. Walker was the MAN! Plus Dota's epic speech to Kida was awesome.

I cant hate Izaya, as its been said, he's the villian, this just made him easier to hate if you were looking for a reason. Personally this is totally something he would do so to me it was totally in character.

Makes me wonder when the 3way fight goes down (if there even is one) considering some of Anri's zombie army and Yellow Scarves are in the Dollars, which side everyone will choose. At this point the Dollars probably have the most members but obviously the YS members can use their Dollars connection for spying purporses.

I think Anri, Kida and Mikado need to be honest with eachother.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-05-16, 11:03   Link #51
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Makes me wonder when the 3way fight goes down (if there even is one) considering some of Anri's zombie army and Yellow Scarves are in the Dollars, which side everyone will choose. At this point the Dollars probably have the most members but obviously the YS members can use their Dollars connection for spying purporses.

I think Anri, Kida and Mikado need to be honest with eachother.
Dollars may have the largest numbers, but they're literally composed of everyone and their grandmas. If a war ever breaks out, most of them would be unlikely/willing to take arms in battle and those in Yellow Scarves will most certainly go with their own. On the other hand, Dollars also has the strongest people in Ikebukuro (Celty, Shizuo, Simon... and otaku group to a certain extent) so numbers aren't even necessary . Saika has sleeper agents on both sides and acts as one big hive of knife-happy slashers. Whichever Dollars or Yellow Scarves members are with Saika won't even need to choose a side, Anri will do it for them . To me, Yellow Turbans have the short end of the stick in this potential 3 way standoff. They're mostly composed of ordinary street thugs without aid from Dullahans, superhumans demon blades or crafty light novel torture otaku.
Old 2010-05-16, 13:16   Link #52
Kallen4life

damn, who's the Joker .. Izaya himself ? but why such a reaction ? Shingen ? he knows exactly what Izaya is doing .. Celty's head ? :O

and I sure like how Walker thinks & operates
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Old 2010-05-17, 06:12   Link #53
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
A little question about Saki: at the "beginning" (actually the end) of the flashback, we see her with both her legs in plaster, yet she only gets her left leg broken later on. Is it an error or am I missing something?
I've been wondering about that too...any novel readers here?

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2010-05-17, 17:25   Link #54
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Well that could be possible, but I find it unlikely. His expression was worried, almost as if he just ate bad sushi. The fact that he threw the cards and went whatever showed him avoiding to admit who the wild card could be. Now maybe I'm reading too much into the scene, but there was something very un-Izaya like about his reaction.
I'm in the "Izaya=Joker" camp which would imply that he is also a pawn/piece in his own "game", hence his displeasure.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
I didn't notice that, looks to be an animation error unless it actually turns out to be an effective obscure healing method like the whole "Shizuo superglue" thing.
Old 2010-05-17, 19:34   Link #55
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroTsuki14 View Post
Spoiler for Epi 18:

Spoiler for Saki & Anri:
I f**ing love Izaya, the more asshole he acts the better his character is for me. His manipulative nature is what makes him enjoyable to watch for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
I'm in the "Izaya=Joker" camp which would imply that he is also a pawn/piece in his own "game", hence his displeasure.
That seems like a good explanation for his reaction.
Old 2010-05-17, 21:46   Link #56
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I hate Izaya...so...so...so...so very, very, very, much. I haven't hated an antagonist like this Phantom (Scythe Master). He knew full well what would happen to Saki and that's why he introduced her to Kida. He talks about gods and thinks of himself as one. I hope and pray, I pray, that he get's his just dessert.

Also, why is Saki still in the hospital?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
I noticed that one. Was it a production error maybe?
Old 2010-05-18, 00:52   Link #57
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes

I'd go with the Joker being an element in his game that he doesn't know and / or control
Old 2010-05-18, 05:17   Link #58
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Also, why is Saki still in the hospital?
Maybe she's still under rehabilitation or something?
Old 2010-05-18, 05:24   Link #59
xxBluebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
I like this explanation the most. There aren't many other (known) characters I can think of who could play the part of Joker.
Imagine being a piece in your own game... Does that make it more personal (and unpredictable) than it should be? Or am I being overanalysing in a stupid way?
Old 2010-05-18, 07:01   Link #60
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
I f**ing love Izaya, the more asshole he acts the better his character is for me. His manipulative nature is what makes him enjoyable to watch for me.
Agreed. He's quite the antagonist/villain, especially with his warped "love" of humans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Maybe she's still under rehabilitation or something?
That and she was in a coma when she arrived at the hospital. We also don't know how extensive the damage was done to her leg, not to mention the traumatic effects. So, it's hard to tell how far along her recovery is, she could be getting out in a few days or, weeks at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBluebird View Post
I like this explanation the most. There aren't many other (known) characters I can think of who could play the part of Joker.
Imagine being a piece in your own game... Does that make it more personal (and unpredictable) than it should be? Or am I being overanalysing in a stupid way?
No, that's interesting line of thinking and quite ironic. Izaya being a piece would also mean that there are events he can't control. No plan is perfect and even he doesn't know what exactly will happen if Celty's head wakes after it's said and done.
Closed Thread