AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-27, 15:27   Link #701
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Don't think there's many animes that show their female leads as being horny (talking about the pillow in the latest episode) rather than "pure" innocent beings that you see more often.
Thats what I sorta like about this series. Urabe is weird and mysterious but girls are weird and mysterious to guys in general.
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 15:37   Link #702
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Don't think there's many animes that show their female leads as being horny (talking about the pillow in the latest episode) rather than "pure" innocent beings that you see more often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatron View Post
Thats what I sorta like about this series. Urabe is weird and mysterious but girls are weird and mysterious to guys in general.
Indeed, Urabe is portrayed more realistically like girls in good adult shows, instead of TV ones.

Nonetheless, her behaviour is not mysterious, her background is (empathetic saliva, motor skills, family circumstances).
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 15:40   Link #703
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Yeah that's indeed one of the asspects of the show I like as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Nonetheless, her behaviour is not mysterious,
It is to a clueless teenage boy
Old 2012-06-27, 16:30   Link #704
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
No peeping, falling into women's crotches, actual visible nipple, large amounts of breast jiggling, sexual harassment played for laughs, lacked sexual seduction, shared bath scenes, or any number of things are are basically industry standard these days.
No kidding! What have we really seen that wasn't integral to the actual story being told? Anything? Yes, there was that one boob groping, but it wasn't accidental, and it wasn't played for laughs, but was played straight as a consensual act, and part of the story being told.

But, as you say, we aren't overwhelmed by humongous breast on every girl that keep popping out of their bras. The girls aren't sticking their butts up in the air every five minutes so we can get a good look at their pantsu. We don't see pre-teen girls being portrayed (or played with) as sex objects. We haven't even seen any girls intentionally using their sexual charms to lure, tease, or seduce the MC (feminine charms, yes, but outright sexual charms I have not seen yet). Yes, we had the "drool duel," with both girls completely naked, but that, itself, was pretty unique in animedom. And I wouldn't really call that scene perveted, although I do suspect that, when the DVD/Blu-Ray uncensored versions come out, it might just become my favorite fanservice scene of all time (am I being perverted?).

Are there different categories of fanservice? Could the fanservice in this anime be considered, perhaps, "tasteful" when compared to the run-of-the-mill fanservice in other animes out there?

Quote:
A chance he didn't actually want to take in the first place and that the other girl denied herself by crying before it could happen. Urabe is the resident "expert" as far as drool goes, not Tsubaki. It is also a common misconception by readers/viewers that Urabe sees sharing drool as a sexual thing (it is quite apparent she doesn't), it is simply her median for forming bonds and communicating feelings to her.
While I will disagree with your conception that Tsubaki didn't want to taste her drool in the first place, as it seemed to me that he did want to find out if it was sweet or not (and, indeed, would've like to find out what another girl's drool would do to him), but was only disinclined to do so for fear of what might happen to his relationship with Urabe, I do agree with your conception that Urabe does not see her drool as a sexual thing. She might get hot and bothered after tasting Tsubaki's drool, but it is not the drool itself, or the act of tasting drool that is exciting her, but the feelings conveyed (or transferred, or however you'd like to phrase it) through the drool that are affecting her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatron View Post
I love it that a show about drool is seen as provocative.
The show is not about drool per se. They're not having drool sharing parties where everyone's invited. They're not dissecting Urabe's drool to see what makes it tick. Nobody's dating drool. Nobody's getting excited over the drool (well, maybe a few select viewers). The show is about the budding relationship between the two main characters, and the drool is simply a plot device (or catalyst) to start it, and keep it going.

What is provocative are the fanservice elements of the show. Who would think that a girl who's face you can't see 99% of the time could be that [unintentionally] provocative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Nonetheless, her behaviour is not mysterious, her background is (empathetic saliva, motor skills, family circumstances).
If not mysterious, how would you characterize her behaviour? Weird? Bizarre? Crazy? I'm not saying it is mysterious, but it certainly isn't normal. Not even considering the drool aspect, I don't think most girls who have never had a boyfriend, never kissed a guy, never had sex with a guy, would take a boy they barely know to an abandoned building, blindfold him, and strip completely naked in front of him.

Though some of those other characteristics are mysterious, the family circumstances I don't find mysterious at all. When I first started watching anime, I was surprised at the number of the "home alone" kids that kept popping up in just about every anime. Now absentee parents seem to be just another way of life in Japanese anime culture, and I don't find it mysterious at all anymore. In fact there are animes where the parents are never seen or mentioned at all, be they absentee or not. In fact, the very first anime I watched, KOR, was graced with a pair of absentee parents, and that dates back to 1987.

Quote:
But I do agree with this.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 16:44   Link #705
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

That is what I meant by Tsubaki not wanting to taste her drool, sorry for being unclear.

He didn't want to taste her drool in fear of it affecting his relationship with Urabe, though it was obvious the prospect was tempting to him, since the only girl he has shared that bond with is Urabe, and the girl who is offering is one who had had a crush on for 3 years.
Old 2012-06-27, 17:18   Link #706
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
He didn't want to taste her drool in fear of it affecting his relationship with Urabe, though it was obvious the prospect was tempting to him, since the only girl he has shared that bond with is Urabe, and the girl who is offering is one who had had a crush on for 3 years.
Yup, the prospect of an intimate encounter with a prior, very long unrequited crush must certainly have had his mind spinning. During that drool scene, after he had tasted Urabe's drool, he felt like he was going to have another nose bleed because they, not just Urabe, were naked right in front of him. Poor kid. I don't envy him for being in that position (though I do envy him for what he saw after his blindfold fell off).
Old 2012-06-27, 17:47   Link #707
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
I was gonna say... I think it's pretty mysterious generally speaking, which I think is largely the point.

This is a show that's full of contrasts - it's absurd yet emotionally realistic, the central conceit is a revolting physical act but the show itself is sentimental and romantic. I can see why some people can't get past the outward appearances, but I think when you get past that MGX is genuinely deep.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 13:27   Link #708
Rungelunge

http://moca-news.net/article/20120627/201206272313a/01/

It seems the OVA that comes with manga Volume 9 will be a MGX anime original episode called "Mysterious Summer Festival". Some guest characters will appear from the very first Ueshiba manga "discommunication" (1992), girl was voiced by Megumi Hayashibara in a Drama CD released in 1996.
Rungelunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 16:41   Link #709
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
and the retro attack continues... Lina Inverse is still alive
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-30, 23:54   Link #710
sikvod00

*gives a standing ovation*
What an absolutely beautiful finale to a great series! This show will forever stand out among all the other mediocre rom-coms that Japan has and will continue to produce. It also proved that the other side of the romance story--being in a relationship as opposed to getting there-- can be just as entertaining and interesting to watch.

Last edited by sikvod00; 2012-07-01 at 00:05.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-01, 01:36   Link #711
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Mind if I accompany you on your ovation sikvod?
Spoiler for Ovation:
I take it back, THIS, is how you end an animé adaptation. I thought last week's episode had a bit of closure and was a good end, but boy howdy I was wrong. Kudos to FredFriendly for setting me straight. Somehow, I wish the manga had an ending like this...Someone gather all the happy gifs you can. We need a bigger ovation up in here.
Old 2012-07-01, 02:09   Link #712
EroKing

Going to miss this series a lot. 10/10!
Old 2012-07-01, 02:22   Link #713
MAX_COLA_POWER!

You forgot the intermission picture of Mikoto my lord!
Old 2012-07-01, 02:34   Link #714
EroKing

Loved the image when I saw it. Looks like it would make a nice wallpaper.

Last edited by EroKing; 2012-07-01 at 07:50.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-01, 03:12   Link #715
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
Mind if I accompany you on your ovation sikvod?
Spoiler for Ovation:
I take it back, THIS, is how you end an animé adaptation. I thought last week's episode had a bit of closure and was a good end, but boy howdy I was wrong. Kudos to FredFriendly for setting me straight. Somehow, I wish the manga had an ending like this...Someone gather all the happy gifs you can. We need a bigger ovation up in here.
Joins in the Ovation.

It's a brilliant adaptation of a manga chapter that brings an excellent ending to the series, and hopefully, the first season (I am really hoping for a second).

Indeed, it manages to bring a sense of finality to the Series, while still opening the prospect for a Second Season- there's quite a few plot elements in the anime that are tantalizing foreshadowing of some material that could easily make it into a Second Season. For the ending to an adaptaton of an ongoing manga, this is really, really miles better than the likes of Kami Nomi or Boku Wa Tomodachi- conclusiveness, while still opening the prospect for a Second Season.

I'm still wondering, by the way, what are the pre-orders of this show? Do you think there'll be enough for an entire Second Season?
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-01, 03:28   Link #716
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Call me naive, but when Mikoto said that in the future, they will do bolder things, was I the only one who thought taking a picture of them sharing drool in a photo booth in the arcade?
Old 2012-07-01, 04:10   Link #717
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Had my doubts in the first half but highly enjoyed the 2nd,really nice way to finish it off!

*joins ovation*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
Call me naive, but when Mikoto said that in the future, they will do bolder things, was I the only one who thought taking a picture of them sharing drool in a photo booth in the arcade?
How sweet!I have a much dirtier mind than you

This was part of the RAW,anyone know where I can find a textless version of it?

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-07-01, 05:23   Link #718
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Nice closure for great series.

I'm very surprised how this anime turned out to, its not just your standard guilty pleasure but for me its really a genuine great show. Every aspect of its is very well made.

Nice visual, great OST (even if its just contain few track, but its highly effective in its usage), and the pacing and flow of every episode is just wonderful, time just moving like water everytime I watching this show, with that Ayumu Watanabe proving he such a good up and coming director in the industry, him and Ei Aoki might be the two favorite director of mine recently.

Who woulda thought show with such a obscure premise can became oddly compelling? and I never like the manga either, but I can't help to love this anime.

Bravo, this is my personal top 3 show of the season.
Old 2012-07-01, 07:12   Link #719
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

I just finished watching episode 13 and I must say that I could hardly be more pleased with the end result! My head is so far in the clouds right now I can't even think of another anime that ended with the positive, uplifting, happy feeling that I feel right now. Bravo!

I was trolled, however, by the preview at the end of the last episode. The anime staff made Yuuko's ex-boyfriend look so very much like Tsubaki with a slightly different hair-style, something that the manga did not do, that I thought that the first half of the episode would be based on chapter 57 of the manga (a completely different, but very interesting chapter which could make a very good stand-alone episode). However, it turned out that it was actually based on chapter 19 of the manga. I was right about the second half of the episode being based on chapter 12 of the manga.

There were a couple of very minor differences from the manga, not that they altered or interfered with the story in any substantial way. But there is one little added bit that I just can't help wondering why they injected it into the scene.

Spoiler for episode 13 and manga chapter comparison spoilers:

The anime staff has done an extraordinary job at adapting the manga. There was so little difference in the anime compare to the manga, that there really isn't anything to complain or fault the anime staff for. Compared to the two other anime adaptations that have already ended this season (that I have watched and read the manga), this is the only one that has had a satisfactory ending, and the only one that I will watch again and buy the DVD when it's available.

One of the amazing things that the anime staff has done, is the picking and choosing of manga chapters to adapt out of order. Unlike that other famous anime that tried this with it's original broadcast, this anime is seemless in it's continuity. Like I said before, if you didn't know that the episodes (and, like this last one, even content with episodes), were taken out of order from the original source material, you'd never know as it all flows so naturally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
It's a brilliant adaptation of a manga chapter that brings an excellent ending to the series, and hopefully, the first season (I am really hoping for a second).

Indeed, it manages to bring a sense of finality to the Series, while still opening the prospect for a Second Season- there's quite a few plot elements in the anime that are tantalizing foreshadowing of some material that could easily make it into a Second Season. For the ending to an adaptaton of an ongoing manga, this is really, really miles better than the likes of Kami Nomi or Boku Wa Tomodachi- conclusiveness, while still opening the prospect for a Second Season.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Although I, too, would like to see another season, if they stop now, I wouldn't mind. In some ways, I think a second season involving any of the very long arcs in the manga might not be as entertaining or satisfying as this adaptation has been. In fact, if they stopped here, I could give up reading the manga (it is still ongoing and my opinion of the current arc is not positive), and I could have very happy memories of this anime (and, of course, watch it over again and again).

I might have more comments after I view this episode again later, but for now, I'll say it again: Bravo!
Old 2012-07-01, 07:46   Link #720
ookamigirl

Tsubaki is totally into drool.
Looks like Urabe re-educated him about that one ^^
Urabe & Tsubaki's sister hanging out was a bit surprising.
Looks like she and Urabe are more alike than I thought.
Going to Akira's mom grave with Urabe ~ must be the weirdest date ever.
Why am I even surprised since this was never a normal anime in the first place.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romance, seinen