AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-09, 11:43   Link #421
FlashFumo
Wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
I have good news for you then. As confirmed on the official Haruhi website, the movie is officially out on the 6th of February in Japan. Tickets can be booked in advance starting on the 21st of this month. Link to the official website page is here. The movie will be approximately 150 minutes (2.5 hours) long and features all of the seiyū back to voice their characters.
One hundred and fifty minutes?

Well, my fears of a compressed adaptation have been killed off.
Old 2009-11-09, 12:16   Link #422
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
Two and a half hours of epic win? Sign me up!
Old 2009-11-09, 13:00   Link #423
bayoab

150 minutes... 150/22= 6.82 episodes... so probably nearly 6.5 episodes + 3 min ending

That's a lot of disappearance. That seems overly long for some reason. Disappearance is relatively short novel wise I thought.
Old 2009-11-09, 13:10   Link #424
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Why is everyone trying to think of the movie in terms of episode equivalency? A movie is a different beast entirely from a series. The series was under obligations to have its episode blocks tell a compact, cohesive story in the 22-minute region, so each story that was dealt with had to be adapted to an episode structure, but with Disappearance, the movie format means that it will be given as much time as is taken to present something less concerned with compactness and more concerned with artistry and depth.
Old 2009-11-09, 13:20   Link #425
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
Why is everyone trying to think of the movie in terms of episode equivalency? A movie is a different beast entirely from a series. The series was under obligations to have its episode blocks tell a compact, cohesive story in the 22-minute region, so each story that was dealt with had to be adapted to an episode structure,
You forget the Sigh episodes. (5x22 min "movie" that was exactly split, with no overlap and no filler.)
Old 2009-11-09, 13:31   Link #426
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
You forget the Sigh episodes. (5x22 min "movie" that was exactly split, with no overlap and no filler.)
Having edited the five Sigh episodes together, with only the first OP and no EDs to make one cohesive movie, they sum just under 120 minutes total. I will review the two books tonight and compare the action and dialogue that is written compared to the description of people, times, and places and see if there is more of the former compared to the latter in Disappearance than Sigh that would make more of an additional 30 minutes. Count on at least 4-7 minutes total being credits (opening and closing), as well as any sort of "introduction" for the people seeing the series for the first time.
Old 2009-11-09, 13:32   Link #427
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
No, I'm not forgetting them. They fall under the purview of my 'adapted for episodic structure' statement, where explicit timing choices were made regardless of overlap or filler in order to make each individual block more viewable on its own. How successful this was or not is aside the point: a movie that is intended to be watched in a single sitting versus episodes that can be, but are not explicitly intended to be, is likely going to have a different pace.

Consider that this is one of the most hotly anticipated pieces of the Haruhi franchise, with considerable fan support for it and interest in it. This is why a movie was the best choice for it, and why it will be a long movie: because without time constraints, the focus will be solely on bringing the story fully to life. Episodes endeavored to do that, but only ever within the acceptable bounds of time limits. Sighs is not an exception.
Old 2009-11-09, 13:42   Link #428
M.Marangio

Another page from haruhi.tv has links to the web pages and phone numbers of the movie theatres: http://www.haruhi.tv/schedule.html.
Old 2009-11-09, 15:30   Link #429
Team Rocket Elite

It's nice to see official confirmation. 2.5 hours seems a bit long but they should be able to make it work.
Old 2009-11-09, 17:12   Link #430
Scython

Too bad this movie will never, and then I really mean NEVUHR be shown on screen at cinemas over here at the Netherlands
God, I hate this country I live in. I mean really. It's the chance of a lifetime to see my beloved Yuki in HD instead of a 19' inch PC monitor.
Old 2009-11-09, 17:15   Link #431
SgtHydra
Void Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scython View Post
Too bad this movie will never, and then I really mean NEVUHR be shown on screen at cinemas over here at the Netherlands

God, I hate this country I live in.
Pfft, this will never even see a movie screen outside of Japan.

We can only pray that they will release a subbed version worldwide quickly, perhaps in an attenmpt to beat the fansubbers to the punch.

Hey, money can make people do all sorts of things, sometimes in our favor.

All Glory to the Greentext.
Old 2009-11-09, 17:33   Link #432
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scython View Post
God, I hate this country I live in. I mean really. It's the chance of a lifetime to see my beloved Yuki in HD instead of a 19' inch PC monitor.
Oh hi, you live here too?

Also, I don't know, earlier today I saw that Evangelion 1.0 got shown somewhere 'round here. But if that doesn't happen, just wait for a DVD/Blu-Ray fansub.
Old 2009-11-09, 18:01   Link #433
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtHydra View Post
Pfft, this will never even see a movie screen outside of Japan.

We can only pray that they will release a subbed version worldwide quickly, perhaps in an attenmpt to beat the fansubbers to the punch.

Hey, money can make people do all sorts of things, sometimes in our favor.
Agreed. That's the best case scenario.
Old 2009-11-09, 18:22   Link #434
PrincessFrani
TsuruyaxMikuru Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbob0008 View Post
Two and a half hours of epic win? Sign me up!
I'm in as well!
Old 2009-11-09, 18:36   Link #435
Jintor

Kadokawa's international response to fan demand will be interesting, though I doubt it will go anywhere further than including (their traditionally dodgy) subs on the DVDs when they launch.
Old 2009-11-09, 18:54   Link #436
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
Kadokawa's international response to fan demand will be interesting, though I doubt it will go anywhere further than including (their traditionally dodgy) subs on the DVDs when they launch.
This is why we (don't) pay a few random Moonspeaking nerds to do the better subtitles for us.
Old 2009-11-09, 19:25   Link #437
Jintor

And no money goes to KyoAni, derp.

When people say 'fansubbing/rampant piracy is killing the industry' they're not kidding around.
Old 2009-11-10, 01:50   Link #438
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
And no money goes to KyoAni, derp.

When people say 'fansubbing/rampant piracy is killing the industry' they're not kidding around.
Yeah, but see, I buy the English-dub DVDs. Mainly because I hate their subs so much, I'd rather have the dub, derp. Plus, native language and all.

Old 2009-11-10, 01:56   Link #439
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Hahaha, 150 mins long... looks like KyoAni is gonna make up all that money they lost on E8.

S2 = hype machine (got people talking Haruhi again)/dvd~blu-ray should sell ok
movie showing = sold out $$$
DVD/Blu-ray movie = more $$$

Brilliant, just brilliant. Oh and I'm just dreading the size of the Blu-ray rip of a 2.5 hour long movie in 1080p...

Oh, and whenever/if it makes it over to my region I'd definitely buy S2 and the Disappearance movie, just so you know
Old 2009-11-10, 02:02   Link #440
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
Hahaha, 150 mins long... looks like KyoAni is gonna make up all that money they lost on E8.

S2 = hype machine (got people talking Haruhi again)/dvd~blu-ray should sell ok
movie showing = sold out $$$
DVD/Blu-ray movie = more $$$

Brilliant, just brilliant. Oh and I'm just dreading the size of the Blu-ray rip of a 2.5 hour long movie in 1080p...

Oh, and whenever/if it makes it over to my region I'd definitely buy S2 and the Disappearance movie, just so you know
Keep in mind that a long movie is actually risky. The longer the movie, the less screening per day a cinema can have for the movie, which means the cinema would sell less tickets on that movie per day than a shorter movie that could have been screened instead. That's why many Hollywood movies actually get edited for length during screening and only have the full length on the DVDs.

KyoAni is placing a lot of faith in the movie to make it this long. Or perhaps, they are too inexperienced to notice that it is a bad idea. It might well work out, I am personally certainly happier that the movie would be long.

Tags
science fiction, shounen