AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-02-14, 21:43   Link #41
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Are you being sarcastic? It's hard for me to tell through the internet. The fact that I used to be that major has nothing to do it, but the professors in that dept were ridiculously knowledgeable on the subject (two of whom that I talked to did work in Japan for quite some time).
I was being sincere, but having just read it over I can see how it would seem like it was said in sarcasm.
Old 2012-02-14, 22:05   Link #42
djmaca
My Girl ↓

^ Just gonna ask.

What kind of software do animators use right now? I study 3D but I know nothing for 2D animation.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 23:00   Link #43
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
That nice too ask coz I wanted to ask the same.

It's embarrassing but what I'm using are simple tools and softwares right now for my animations.

Equipments:

Bondpaper
Pencil/eraser

Hardware:

Mobile Phone (for picture taking, I got no scanner)
Micro SD Adaptor
Netbook

Software:
Windows Paint
Gimp

....it's embarrassing..!!!! I'm just maximizing the use of these things.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 23:30   Link #44
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post

It's embarrassing but what I'm using are simple tools and softwares right now for my animations.

Equipments:

Bondpaper
Pencil/eraser

Hardware:

Micro SD Adaptor
Netbook

Software:
Windows Paint
Gimp

i think it pretty awesome that you can use those to animate something pretty good like your avatar, but i think you should use better software, i'm do animate for fun sometimes and software i use are Adobe Photoshop CS5, Paint tool SAI and Sony Vegas Pro 9.0, i will animate something to show you later because i lost all my animation when my hard disk broke 2 month ago (they pretty bad though since i'm no good at drawing)
Old 2012-02-14, 23:42   Link #45
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
i think it pretty awesome that you can use those to animate something pretty good like your avatar, but i think you should use better software, i'm do animate for fun sometimes and software i use are Adobe Photoshop CS5, Paint tool SAI and Sony Vegas Pro 9.0, i will animate something to show you later because i lost all my animation when my hard disk broke 2 month ago (they pretty bad though since i'm no good at drawing)
Good coloring makes good results... I'm watching DearS right now and notice that their drawings were not that good but the awesome coloring made a huge difference.... Too bad I can't get free APS CS5... or even if I have, my netbook might not able to handle it... hehehe

My coloring took me 6 hours because of the mouse plus the addition of new frames along the way (trying to attain the fluid motion of the hair).... my avatar took 26 frames.
Old 2012-02-15, 00:20   Link #46
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Too bad I can't get free APS CS5... or even if I have, my netbook might not able to handle it... hehehe
GIMP seems to be on par with PhotoShop(standalone). But I guess the whole Creative Suite makes Photoshop superior due to added functionality.
Old 2012-02-15, 08:59   Link #47
Solafighter
Hige

Dont forget Adobe After Effects for some fancy effects.
Old 2012-02-15, 09:04   Link #48
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:

For that you are doing a good job if your avatar is anything to go by.

Frankly, you can do amazin things with MS paint, I have seen some vids on youtube. It really boils down to talent and utilizing the means available to you to the max extent.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 09:35   Link #49
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
You should also skim through and play around with macromedia. (Or w/e it is now, but Flash, Freehand, Fireworks)

I usually do my vector work in Fireworks. Because I can easily animate it into a gif compared to Photoshop. Flash is overkill for simple gifs/stills. What I am saying is your avatar is made easier with Fireworks than Photoshop.

You should invest into a wacom tablet and a 8.5x11 scanner when you can. It's not to do with your career, if you like art and digital art, it's like an obligation. 11x17 is unecessary for vector based animation. Unless you're a traditional artist as well and want to upload your stuff to an online portfolio.

IMO, you need to know how to use GIMP but use Photoshop unless specified otherwise. As djmaca said, it might be on par standalone but Photoshop's cross-platform and plugin/suite features are far more superior.
---------
For full animation, I don't know what anime uses as it's not 3D. Back when I used to learn animation, I was taught Toon Boom as a beginner tool for 2D animation. It is like a really simple but powerful mix of Freehand and Flash. I really liked it. I'm not sure if it's free or not. The school gave out free copies to students.

It's not what anime is made, I don't know what they use. But here's Toon Boom's used projects:

Spoiler for List:

Many large animation companies write their own private animation software on the spot (Avatar - Last Airbender). So you have to be inside the company already to know it. The only way to prepare for that would be to learn all the public software you can get access to as they are not that much different.

Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2012-02-15 at 09:50.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 12:35   Link #50
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I just used photoshop for the first time in about 10 years to make me an animated avatar.
Now I'm a total noob, used some tutorials to find out which buttons do what, then pieced this together in a couple of hours.

I can only imagine that you could do amazing things with this program if you'd practice a bit. Therefore animation seems easy.
It's drawing the pictures and getting them into the program to use them, which I would think is the hard part. (I skipped that part by shamelessly grabbing an image from danbooru ).
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 06:43   Link #51
NoemiChan
Banned

I need to find a job to finance my hobby , hahahaha... and also take 3D courses or 2D, I guess?
Well, right now, I just have to maximize these things for a while...
Old 2012-02-16, 09:31   Link #52
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

If you want to learn animation as a hobby, you should just save your money by learning from the internet, youtube and such. Courses don't train you to become a good animator, they just teach you how to use the tools, which you can learn better from experienced professionals on the net. And if you want to seriously learn animation, you'll need to learn from actual good schools with people that had real experience in the industry, if not you'll just be wasting time.

Also no animator should live without The Animator's Survival Kit, its the bible of animation. It used to be the Ollie Johnston and Frank Thomas of the Nine Old Men's The Illusion of Life. The Nine Old Men of Disney are the people who created modern animation, set down the 12 principles of animation. Anime is considered inferior animation technically because of the lack of application of the principles, there's simply too little budget and much less effort put into animating anime compared to alot of high budget productions. And don't buy those 'how to draw manga/anime' books, they won't help much, you can learn those stuff online as well.

There are tons of guides on youtube, deviantart and many forums. My lecturers, one worked in Disney for many years, the other worked on many Hollywood films, including Lord of The Rings, they all learned 3D software, Maya and Python script by themselves, and they had no internet help back then. But my Disney lecturer was taught by one of the best drawing artists back then, he was picked off the streets literally by Disney. Drawing skill is essential to animators, draw everything you see, have solid and consistent lines. You must be able to draw a curve in one stroke, draw straight lines in any direction, have line sensitivity, know where the lines need to be thick or thin. Its all hardwork.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 09:53   Link #53
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
conceptart.org

This website is good for constructive criticism and viewing other people's work, critiques and stuff. The can be somewhat harsh in their criticism, but it's very good place to visit if you're serious. Best of all it's free.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 10:22   Link #54
NeoChan
Banned

You can learn many things in the internet regarding animation. You could read manuals or download the latest software.... But keep it mind what you have that isn't available anywhere else...You know what I mean.... It's something that is given inborn... It's your most basic yet important tool.

Regarding obstacles? Make your own road. If there is a wall, you could always climb over or dig under it... hehehe
NeoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 10:25   Link #55
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoChan View Post
You can learn many things in the internet regarding animation. You could read manuals or download the latest software.... But keep it mind what you have that isn't available anywhere else...You know what I mean.... It's something that is given inborn... It's your most basic yet important tool.

Regarding obstacles? Make your own road. If there is a wall, you could always climb over or dig under it... hehehe
Or bash it down with pure awesomeness. Make your imagination go wild.
Old 2012-02-16, 10:28   Link #56
NeoChan
Banned

Iba talga ang Pinoy!!! Hehehe
Old 2012-02-16, 18:37   Link #57
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

Equipments:

Bondpaper
Pencil/eraser

Hardware:

Micro SD Adaptor
Netbook

Software:
Windows Paint
Gimp

Wait... really? If your avatar is any indication, you do really well with limited tools. An exceptional indication to what you could do if someone put a drawing tablet in your hands.

I like GIMP. Very easy to use. Not to mention FREE. Gotta love that part.
Old 2012-02-16, 18:42   Link #58
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I like GIMP. Very easy to use. Not to mention FREE. Gotta love that part.
And it's not heavy for my netbook... Sadly, I'm still an amateur using it.... I did some net reading to learn but the only thing I learned for now is blurring... the transparency , lasso tools etc etc etc are aliens for me.... huhuhu
Old 2012-02-21, 04:11   Link #59
NoemiChan
Banned

If I turn to becoming a Manga Artist

1. What does it need to make your manga/comic be known?
2. How much should be invested for printing and distribution (as for starting)?
Old 2012-02-21, 19:36   Link #60
NeoChan
Banned

Quote:
1. What does it need to make your manga/comic be known?
Obviously through, advertisement. You can talk to possible sponsors... which I think would be difficult especially in the convincing phase. You could also seek other comic artist in your country to seek their assistance.

Quote:
2. How much should be invested for printing and distribution (as for starting)?
Thousands , I think and it depends whether its plain B/W or colored.

I would be better to seek sponsors first that may help you financially as well.