AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2011-07-31, 11:30   Link #101
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

http://bayoab.info/live/live2.php?panel=33
Quote:
15:42:02 <bay|Ota|Shinkai> Q: Some say your latest work is ghibli like and you have been called the next miyazaki, what do you think about such comparison?
15:42:27 <bay|Ota|Shinkai> A: Well, i've never met miyazaki, some of the other people on the staff have worked with him in the past
15:43:24 <bay|Ota|Shinkai> And frankly... it's his movies that have inspired me and that i love, if you look at the latest movie, you will see scenes that are influenced based on his films..
15:43:29 <bay|Ota|Shinkai> (purposely dropped part)
15:44:48 <bay|Ota|Shinkai> Like I said,... i think his films are amazing,... i remember seeing laputa in junior high, and the emotions i felt after i saw made me want to do something similar, and if a junior high school studen would get that same feeling, that would make me happy (Again, purposely dropped part)
15:45:30 <bay|Ota|Shinkai> Regarding the comparison, I don't think i could ever reach his greatness of the films, but all i can do is keep making films and someday look back and say "These were pretty good"
Well then, I guess that should explain why his films are so Ghibli like, since he's partially inspired by Miyazaki.

Oh and
Quote:
15:32:16 <bay|Ota|Shinkai> What hurt my heart my most is the va is over 50 and the character is 20s... so having to say from the recording booth "make her sound younger"
15:32:27 <bay|Ota|Shinkai> Q: (Another va... in ika musume)
15:32:33 <bay|Ota|Shinkai> A: You guys know what Ika musume is?
15:32:50 <bay|Ota|Shinkai> The voice for asuna was the lead in Ika musme series
15:33:02 <bay|Ota|Shinkai> I didn't cast her as asuna because i was a fan of the show
15:33:18 <bay|Ota|Shinkai> I'd like you to know,we auditioned for the role before the show was on the tv
15:34:16 <bay|Ota|Shinkai> When i ask her about the whole process of audition about what hse's doing next, she said i'm going to play ika musume, and i'm going to put ika and geso at the end of everything i say, and i'm like okay, that'll be an interesting show
Hisako-san is 50?

Shinkai is clearly a closet squid fan.
Old 2011-07-31, 11:36   Link #102
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I should watch Ika Musume..
Old 2011-07-31, 11:42   Link #103
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I should watch Ika Musume..
Yes you bloody well should!
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 11:47   Link #104
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Yes, that you should. Submit to the squid empire! Shinkai has already ...

What I find interesting is that he's pretty accepting of the comparison with Miyazaki, and admits freely that he's drawing some of his style from the man. Funny, since he himself sounds like a nice guy, unlike Miyazaki lol
Old 2011-07-31, 14:56   Link #105
FireChick

I saw this at Otakon. It was awesome.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 21:27   Link #106
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Here's another review/overview of the Q&A panel for those interested: link.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 22:53   Link #107
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Here's a funny story:

I'm showing a 50% completed version of the film to a friend while in the room with the CWF producer, and we're coming to a really emotional scene...

And after Asuna says "Tada... Sabishikatta!" I added "-degeso"... and everyone bursts into laughter.

I explain it's a great way to completely ruin watching the film (At the time, Squid Girl was currently airing)
So yeah, just mentally add "degeso" to the end of all of Asuna's lines and the movie suddenly because hilarious .
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 05:18   Link #108
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Yes you bloody well should!
This man speaketh wisdom ~de geso!~
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 11:20   Link #109
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Good news! The Blu-ray/DVD will be out November 25th and will have English subtitles!

Exclusive to Blu-ray will be a commentary track and if you buy the collector's edition BD (US$115) you get...
  • Film strip
  • Story boarding in colour
  • A special preview of the Manga, chapter one
  • “Hello, Goodbye & Hello” Theme Song PV
http://www.hoshi-o-kodomo.jp/dvd-bluray.html
Xcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-26, 14:15   Link #110
Solafighter
Hige

Not sure if everyone has read it already, there is an interesting interview with Makoto Shinkai posted on the AnimeNewNetwork page.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...makoto-shinkai

I freaking cant wait to see this movie. Sadly, i have to wait till BlueRay/DVD release, cause here in Europe, they dont show anime films so early(if im not mistaken, it was on a cinema in England, but not sure), like in the US.
Old 2011-08-26, 14:25   Link #111
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Damnit. 3 more months! The wait's killing me.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-27, 17:52   Link #112
Solafighter
Hige

Just finished listening through the whole movie OST. Its just so good. Cant wait for the movie.
Old 2011-09-17, 14:29   Link #113
psme

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
If this become something like Spirited Away rehash, I won't be amused.
Just watched this in cinema this morning. I intentionally to not knowing any plot detail beforehand. And this is the feeling I got in the end. The movie feels very weak, both in story and directing!

The great realism graphical imagery we can always count on is missing. Even Temon pieces seems blend and forced due to poor story telling!
psme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 19:01   Link #114
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

hmm, listening to the soundtrack, (didn't know it was out for such a long time..) i can't say there's been a piece that's completely blown me away yet. it seems overall a very solid ost, but there hasn't been a "Mail from Mikako" or "Sayuri's theme" or "Memories are Distant Days" yet, since i'm not through it all yet. also, not having a visual to relate with the music probably also hurts it. i'll reevaluate it after i watch the movie.

if the movie is "not good," its probably because we're going to compare it with Byousoku, which is a top 10 movie from the last decade. maybe i'm being hard on him because i've been a fan of his since i heard the premise of Voices, a good 9 years ago. but we'll have to wait and see.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 06:27   Link #115
Solafighter
Hige

Am I wrong or isn't the blue ray release, soon?
Old 2011-11-07, 07:25   Link #116
E_I
Yuri fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
Am I wrong or isn't the blue ray release, soon?
Two weeks from this coming Friday. (11/25).
E_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 11:26   Link #117
Solafighter
Hige

Ah ok, thank you.
Old 2011-11-24, 13:21   Link #118
Solafighter
Hige

Tomorrow is finaly the day. So i guess give it another 7-10 days, then we are able to watch it.

Cant wait.
Old 2011-11-25, 14:20   Link #119
FireChick

This got licensed. But by who?
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-25, 16:24   Link #120
Kunagisa

First, you're a grade A idiot if you watch this without .flac and 1080p encode.
Second, I'm an idiot because I am not fluent enough to watch this without subs, but hell once I started I can't stop (and there's just no way I'm going to wait since I've anticipated this for way too long). Personally, this my favorite work from Makoto Shinkai.

With that said, I think everyone's qualm about Shinkai is mostly that he can't ever really get the story right, and that it's too full of melodrama that most people can't stomach it. This movie, however, has gotten both right.

To keep this short, the focus of the movie is not on purely emotion, but also in the exploration of an adventure. If you're watching this, you'll find many scenes that remind you of Miyazaki feel in this. That in itself is not bad. People strive to distinct themselves from other directors, but sometimes certain formula work, but even recreating the feeling using the same formulas are quite impossible. I feel this movie was able to recreate that while making itself distinct. I can see the "old guards" who dwell on the golden age of Laputa and Nausicaa might not be able to fully enjoy or appreciate this, but I would rate this at least higher level than Karigurashi no Arrietty (and I love that movie as well ... well except the ending).

10/10

PS: To prevent over-hype, a lot of people actually really disliked the film for its very weak plot, sooo don't just take my word for this being super awesome~~~

EDIT: ED, has random spoiler scenes, but it's awesome

Last edited by Kunagisa; 2011-11-26 at 03:57. Reason: Edit out the ending
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shinkai