AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-04-18, 19:44   Link #1
octobomb

Dawn of War II

anyone seen games workshops awsome screenshots for Dawn of War II? man i thought Starcraft II was awsome, but i think they might have taken too long trying to make the titles balancing... The screen shots look almost as good as the cinematics which blows my mind... the game is still a Real Time Strategy game with buildings, but there is more variety as far as customizing and using units in strategic ways with additional fighting bonuses and commanding bonus's as well. Its suppose to come out 2009.
octobomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 20:19   Link #2
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
IN THE NAME OF THE EMPEROR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maYor7PXYpo

Though to be honest I'd rather have Dawn of War II follow Supreme Commander/Starcraft where you can at least field hundreds of units rather than being small scaled.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 23:51   Link #3
Xacual

Are they finally putting tyranids in? I didn't buy the original Dawn of War games for that reason...

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 06:04   Link #4
Cheezy
brrr

Send a message via MSN to Cheezy
Please have some more content in the thread for people who don't know much about DoW 2. Pictures or anything.

- Uses the Essence 2.0 engine with Havok physics, all optimised for DX10 and multicore support.
- It looks great, think of the DoW intro but with a bit less polygons here and there (in terms of lighting and all that it looks almost exactly the same).
- Units also use CoH-like unit AI for awareness and pathfinding to find cover and such.
- While DoW 2 shares the same (upgraded probably) engine as CoH it won't be "CoH in space", while soldiers in CoH will ask themselves if flanking the enemy is the right option, in DoW2 it will be more like Space Marines asking themselves if they should use their jetpacks to jump over an Ork squad to attack them in the back. Different settings, different kinds of warfare.
- Preview only showed a destroyed city landscape, akin to DoW (but more detailed), other tilesets will offer deserts, jungles, mountains and other cities.
- Only the Orkz and Space Marines were revealed, more races on the way obviously and to be to revealed later this year (though how many isn't known).
- Co-op campaign for both the Orkz and Space Marines, apparently not for the other to-be-revealed races.
- More focus on making units and squads unique; every unit has got a name (at least in the campaign it seems), more details and more animations.
- Relic wants to give players rewards at the end of a mission like wargear (armor, weapons, rare objects); "Let's pimp out squads with cool stuff!", you will see these items in-game as well of course.
- You'll fight your way through the campaign with the same squads.
- You can't control more than six squads! I am not sure if this is campaign-only but the preview made it sound like it wasn't.
- The squads are going to be a lot more interesting than before though.
- A squad leader (one or several?) will need to survive if you want to complete a mission; you really have to look out for your squads and don't treat them like cannon fodder.
- There is a lot more interesting commentary from the units as well; if your SM commander is holding a Thunder Hammer f.e. then the opponent will specifically comment on that, Ork Warchief saying something like "Ooh, nice hammer, but mine is bigger!". The warchief will say something else if the commander doesn't have the hammer.
- The campaign lets Space Marines operate from a spaceship, you'll get a view of an underlying planet and you'll be able to choose from different missions (which are tagged with difficulty colours, green, blue and red).
- Certain reward items won't be useable at once in the campaign, so they'll be taken back to the SM spaceship for research.
- Dreadnought can now also trample Orkz.
- No sea or air units (though jetpacks are still in of course).
- Development team of 55 people has been working on it since September 2006.
- Release in early 2009 or later.

- Drop Pods can now hit enemy troops
- SM are supersoldiers... it compared them holding a point to "300", though for the SM it's more like "30"
- Less focus on resource gathering and buildng (which sounds like buildings are still in, but not as many buildings)
- Bridges are functional instead of just decoration, and can be destroyed with troops on them (though Assault Marines will automatically jump to safety)
- Assault Marines can deal damage with their landing
- Troops can shoot from buildings the enter, but can be screwed if the enemy bombs or flames the building
- Orbital Bombardment leaves a patch of molten earth where it hits
- Wargear can be collected on the battlefield and equipped on different troops
- Campaign missions may have multiple objectives (such as "save the civilians" or "get the wargear"), and you may have to choose between them... your choices can affect later missions

Anyway it seems very likely they'll go with the Space Marines/Chaos Space Marine/Orks/Eldar setup.
Cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 23:30   Link #5
Westlo
Lets be reality

Sigh I really want to see tyranids
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-22, 13:43   Link #6
Cheezy
brrr

Send a message via MSN to Cheezy
It's very likely Tyranids will be in the game, though it would probably be in an expansion.
Cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 07:10   Link #7
Dingo dom

i really want to see the new races. Hope they make new heroes,unit and vehicle.
Dingo dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-14, 05:12   Link #8
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezy View Post
It's very likely Tyranids will be in the game, though it would probably be in an expansion.
It's apparently been stated that Tyranids won't be in the game, as the engine doesn't do their organic nature justice. Or so I've heard. Still haven't seen it quoted from an official source.

Lack of Tyranids is what made the first one boring. They went and released what, 3? 4? expansions with no Tyranids, when they were always THE MOST requested army to be added. But they went and put in stupid stuff like IG and Tau.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-14, 18:37   Link #9
Entropy
Flame warrior

psstt, it's another engine.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 12:34   Link #10
killer3000ad

The Emperor demands more E3 goodness!-> http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36578.html
Old 2008-07-16, 16:30   Link #11
Dingo
The polyphony

Can't wait.Tyranids incoming.

But wow @ 2009 release.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 18:20   Link #12
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Screw Tyranids, I want Necron again :O
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 01:35   Link #13
I-Love-Konata
Ero Hakase

The Imperial Guards wins with their insane amount of guardsmen
I-Love-Konata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 02:22   Link #14
Arceon
Rediscovered
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Arceon
What I'm wondering the most is how they're going to actually do Tyranids, since the basic strategy for them, if your looking at them as a race, is to drop millions upon millions of troops on a planet, sweep from one end to the next, and collect the resources later.

Though, I wanna see what the Necron are going to be like again. . .
Old 2008-07-17, 06:21   Link #15
Westlo
Lets be reality

The intro was dope as fuck, can't wait.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 22:11   Link #16
Angrypokstick
So....its you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Love-Konata View Post
The Imperial Guards wins with their insane amount of guardsmen
except the tyranid Outnumber them 60000000:1. lol

something interesting i found out about the tryanid recently. is that if the human race as a whole fired off every weapon and used all ammunition(as in all its physical ammunition like bullets and missiles/bomb/shells) in its entire empire. They would only be enough to dent 40% at best of the entire tryanid race. Kinda scary...... the necrons are probably worse since they are apparently the only race tryanid fear or ignore depending on your perspective.

Anyway can't wait for this game. the awesome intro are back this one definitely live up to the first one. Now i want to see one where they can somehow include all the races plus the Tryanids in a slugfest CGI cinematic. Damn that be sick.

Last edited by Angrypokstick; 2008-07-18 at 04:21.
Angrypokstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-20, 04:06   Link #17
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

And at last...

TYRANIDS

nuff' said.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-21, 02:55   Link #18
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Indeed, for those who haven't been keeping up to date, the Nids are in. There are screenshots and in-game footage trailer out. The cinematic trailer has also been extended to show what happens at the end.
Old 2008-08-21, 02:57   Link #19
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
IN THE NAME OF THE EMPEROR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maYor7PXYpo

Though to be honest I'd rather have Dawn of War II follow Supreme Commander/Starcraft where you can at least field hundreds of units rather than being small scaled.
Starcraft is pretty small-scaled too though. And in that case you should just cut to the chase and play SupCom or Total Annihilation instead. Dawn of War and Dawn of War 2 cater towards the more small-scale and personal tactical sort of gameplay.
Old 2008-08-21, 21:21   Link #20
Dingo
The polyphony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
Indeed, for those who haven't been keeping up to date, the Nids are in. There are screenshots and in-game footage trailer out. The cinematic trailer has also been extended to show what happens at the end.
Got a link to that extended trailer?
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote