AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2012-04-06, 01:50   Link #3421
Zakoo

I see Thank you, I have quite a number of game now.

I will try LoverAble and Mashiro to begin with, thanks to all of you.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 09:28   Link #3422
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
You, my friend, is a devil

On that matter, try "Kitto Sumiwataru Asairo yori mo"
and "Tenshi no hane wo fumanai de"
for good measure
I'm playing that right now and it's hell to understand.....not because of the language, but the girls' characters....

It's brutal trying to guess what's going on in their heads....As well as looking beyond the words for any hidden double meanings in their speech and actions

I don't know if I'm just over-paranoid or what but the whole setting seems...off...somehow. Like something's very wrong...It's like a mystery story except you don't know even what the mystery is.

Hell even the protag seems odd to me....At first glance, he's just someone who loves his friends very much but there's always a hint of something...more...

I hear the wordplay in Tenshi no hane is ghey though. Might try that out later...For Itsu Sora though, which aspects of Norse myth did they cover? And was it done in a fairly serious manner? (IE, Odin running around school being cute is a plus but not the main thing I want)

Anyone here played 11eyes?

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2012-04-06 at 10:43.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 10:39   Link #3423
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Anyone here played 11eyes?
*Raises tentacle*

Indeed, though it has been a couple of years since then. My impressions of it were fairly good though; from what I recall, it managed the grim mood and sense of urgency (and action) fairly well. The presentation was certainly much better than the 11eyes anime, which was a quite poor adaptation of the original as far as transmitting the same "feel" went.

If you are in the mood for dark-ish fantasy/horror (mystery?) with bits of action thrown in (with the option to mess up and die midway through), 11eyes is a decent choice.
Old 2012-04-06, 10:41   Link #3424
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I never knew there was an anime...I heard it was a depressing kill em all kind of game....basically my kind of thing...
Old 2012-04-06, 10:51   Link #3425
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I guess it should satisfy your needs fairly well then. If grim and depressing is what you are looking for, 11eyes should have something to offer for you. While I wouldn't call it outright grimdark, it's certainly no field trip of flowers and sunshine. To this day I'm still quite fond of the opening as well.
Old 2012-04-06, 23:32   Link #3426
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
I never knew there was an anime...I heard it was a depressing kill em all kind of game....basically my kind of thing...
What anime? There is NO 11eyes anime.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 01:35   Link #3427
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
What anime? There is NO 11eyes anime.
^^ Kinda agree. 11eyes anime adaptation sucked so hard I seriously doubted how it become popular to be animated...

BTW, I want to do some fanart but I can't find art style with more realistic eyes yet able to show ahegao face... All I can find don't have good eyebrows.
Kleeyook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 01:38   Link #3428
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
I'm playing that right now and it's hell to understand.....not because of the language, but the girls' characters....

It's brutal trying to guess what's going on in their heads....As well as looking beyond the words for any hidden double meanings in their speech and actions

I don't know if I'm just over-paranoid or what but the whole setting seems...off...somehow. Like something's very wrong...It's like a mystery story except you don't know even what the mystery is.

Hell even the protag seems odd to me....At first glance, he's just someone who loves his friends very much but there's always a hint of something...more...
Ah, I'm glad someone else here played it! The particular scenario writer who wrote Kittosumi tends to create a huge hit-or-miss stories.
And yes, the author just LOVES to insert multiple meanings in seemingly everything. No loose ends are left. Every seemingly trifling thing could mean something in the end.
The one thing I particularly like about Kittosumi is about how everything wraps up in the end. I'm looking forward to hear your impression on it.

Quote:
I hear the wordplay in Tenshi no hane is ghey though. Might try that out later...For Itsu Sora though, which aspects of Norse myth did they cover? And was it done in a fairly serious manner? (IE, Odin running around school being cute is a plus but not the main thing I want)
ItsuSora doesn't take any of the characters in Norse myth directly. So, no Odin, Loki, Thor or what have you. If you want to know which part of the Norse myth that is the ultimate theme in ItsuSora, it's
Spoiler:

Tenshi no Hane is the most recent, and you could say the "mildest" of the galge stories that scenario writer made. It's geared towards wider public than ItsuSora or Kittosumi (meaning less difficult kanji ).
Old 2012-04-07, 01:50   Link #3429
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
On that matter, try "Kitto Sumiwataru Asairo yori mo"
I remember a scene of the 四君子 and their reactions when they overheard some random little kids talking on the street...that was me throughout the entire VN.
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 12:08   Link #3430
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Ah, I'm glad someone else here played it! The particular scenario writer who wrote Kittosumi tends to create a huge hit-or-miss stories.
And yes, the author just LOVES to insert multiple meanings in seemingly everything. No loose ends are left. Every seemingly trifling thing could mean something in the end.
The one thing I particularly like about Kittosumi is about how everything wraps up in the end. I'm looking forward to hear your impression on it.
Well it'll be some time though....seeing as the Spring anime season is starting along with school....>_>

Quote:
ItsuSora doesn't take any of the characters in Norse myth directly. So, no Odin, Loki, Thor or what have you. If you want to know which part of the Norse myth that is the ultimate theme in ItsuSora, it's
Spoiler:

Tenshi no Hane is the most recent, and you could say the "mildest" of the galge stories that scenario writer made. It's geared towards wider public than ItsuSora or Kittosumi (meaning less difficult kanji ).
Oh...ok, ok, I understand now what it's like.
Old 2012-04-07, 15:57   Link #3431
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
After failing to find an eroge or VN that is somewhat similar to Hatsuyuki Sakura, I have decided to go for an earlier title from Saga Planets: Natsuyume Nagisa. I held it off for this long, because I wasn't impressed by Sagaplanet's other game Kisaragi Gold Star (besides it's catchy opening Rolling Star). But after reading that HatsuSaku has similarities with Natsuyume Nagisa, i will give it a try.
Bon courage on it . I read a full spoiler review on each route about it and decided right away to keep my hands from it. Another melodrama is "too much". I'm actually resisting of replaying Hatsuyuki on my home computer as I *know* I'll be "heart-broken" afterwards again

Currently replaying Hoshizora no Memoria; this time with the fan translation, as well as LoverAble (but not as much as Hoshizora). Ignoring a few typos here and there, I have had my fair share of laughs in the common route so far. Komomo-chan still remains one of my favorites of the VN.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 19:10   Link #3432
Balzac
Assistant Professor

DRACU-RIOT overall score: average!

I'm quite disappointed that Yuzu-soft only used the comedic tension scenes I like them for in the trunk, and even then it wasn't enough to fill up a savegame page. When the routes occured, there was more focus on "plot" and rabu--rabu instances.

At the end of the day, at least the game didn't make me feel like it was a waste of money. (shakes fist at koisora fandisc)

I am now crossing my fingers for D.C. III.
Old 2012-04-07, 23:40   Link #3433
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzac View Post
DRACU-RIOT overall score: average!

I'm quite disappointed that Yuzu-soft only used the comedic tension scenes I like them for in the trunk, and even then it wasn't enough to fill up a savegame page. When the routes occured, there was more focus on "plot" and rabu--rabu instances.

At the end of the day, at least the game didn't make me feel like it was a waste of money. (shakes fist at koisora fandisc)

I am now crossing my fingers for D.C. III.
Personally, I'd think that Yuzusoft should go back to more serious plots like what they did with ExE, one of the best VNs I've read. And the bgms were memorable.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 01:07   Link #3434
Balzac
Assistant Professor

I personally got into Yuzu-soft's wagon on natsuzora, which I think was arguably their best offering (though not the best in its genre). VNs with "plots" are a headache to follow for me.
Old 2012-04-08, 03:39   Link #3435
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

This time something other to nitpick than story or drama-overload:
I'm playing Aile soft's "Friends" and somehow the game engine seems clunky. For example, even though the skip function is set to "only unread text", the game decides to skip ahead when you click the button. And something in the option to turn on/off some kind of button (can't seem to identify the last kanji), where I couldn't see any difference (yet).
Not that it greatly matters, as their VNs are rather unspectacular. Relation sisterxsister had out of four routes only two nice ones (and those were not the sisters )
Old 2012-04-08, 04:25   Link #3436
Balzac
Assistant Professor

A post on game systems/engines

Oh, interesting.

This is mostly a quality of life topic when reading visual novels, but sometimes I get to thinking, when playing, that there's some minor interface feature that is missing from this game that was present in a previous game I played. Because strangely enough, there does not seem to be a game (or if there was, it was too low profile and I haven't played it) that has all or most of these features in. Bear in mind that these are just some of my personal quality of life preferences in playing, so they may radically differ for others' impressions about their interfaces.

For example, there's the seemingly ageless skip function. Yes, almost all games have this function, and it works just as well as one would expect. But I especially like yuzu-soft's and some other games' features where there's another button other than skip which goes directly to the next decision tree. Obviously this is only for those who are on the way to their second or so route, who (barring flag- or love points-type games) already know what there is to know about the events in the trunk, and so replaying it again would seem tedious. Yet not all games have these feature in their engines, and it feels jarring to start reading and realize the feature's unavailable when one sits down with a new game.

I won't go into detail with the rest of these, as they're sufficiently self-explanatory:

>A backlog skip - where clicking on a line or dialogue during the backlog gives you the option to go back to it. Most games just has it repeat the voiced line, etc.

>Movable savegames - probably doable outside game, but I especially like Key's example (which they used in Little Busters! and Rewrite) where I can copy, delete and most importantly, movemy savegames. Most games just let you put in a description, or delete, and feel rather restricted.

>Now this is something only quite a few games I've read feature. We all know about the scene viewing in the gallery, but I personally like it better if there's also a gallery to view all unlocked scenes from the game, so I don't actually have to keep saves of memorable moments.

>This is more aesthetic: dynamic sprites. One can't fault the aesthetic decisions of each developer to only have one or two sprites for each character as part of their mission/vision, but it makes me smile when some games I read have more than just the standard static sprites. Sprites that change mid-dialogue, sprites that aren't restricted to the x-y of the dialogue box, sprites that have complete back-side- and front-sprites, mouths that move, among others are pretty fascinating for a developer to include.

Those are just some examples off the top of my head. So, any of you folks feel the same during the same instance of a missing interface feature or miscellaneous aesthetic?
Old 2012-04-08, 09:52   Link #3437
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Done with Rio's route in Dracu Riot, and I must admit the whole experience turned out better than I had expected. While I still think she comes off as the most bland of the heroines, her own route actually allowed other aspects of her personality (besides cluelesness about sex) to shine.

As far as romance went, this was certainly a motherload of sugary overdose. Though hardly surprising, Rio in love shot the fluff scale through the roof. Even Yuuto managed to present himself decently on the romance front, which was a welcome change for once. The plot had some interesting things in store as well, and I appreciate the fact that, unlike Miu's and Erina's routes, the drama wasn't nearly as overblown.
Spoiler for Rio's end:

A decent route overall indeed, and I must say, some of the developments almost made it feel like the "true end", if this story actually had one. Unexpected, considering I didn't expect much when starting it. Always nice when a story does something above my expectations, so from that perspective, I rather liked Rio's story.

She still doesn't measure up to Erina or Miu character-wise, though her route has certainly helped her to close the gap somewhat. She was very much in need of some more exposition (she gets the short end of the stick in common / other character routes on that front), and this certainly helped. Story-wise I still consider Erina's the best one (and with the biggest emotional punch), but this one wasn't bad either.

Azusa left now ... here's hoping this one manages to surprise me as well, because character wise, while entertaining, Azusa isn't really my cup of tea.
Old 2012-04-08, 10:37   Link #3438
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

@Balzac: The flexible character expressions à la Dracu-Riot are definitely a good idea imho even though it seems a bit "too much" at times, but still on a positive degree overall. It made me kinda expect it on the VN I played afterwards .
The backlog jumper is for me a simple nice-to-have I mostly use backlog to hear the voice again when I need to type it into NJStar for a better grasp, but I like Giga's scene rewatching (i. e. like in HotchKiss and Sucre). When I don't really care about the story due to e. g. gory or grotesque elements, but it has nice CGs (kiss or wedding ) then a simple event mode for non-h scenes would have been sooo nice.

@Dracu-Riot: Guess, I'll continue Rio's route when I'm back at my laptop tomorrow. Azusa has imho a rather slow start until h-scene 1 or 2, haven't played after that. Not bad itself, but something to keep in mind possibly.
Old 2012-04-08, 12:32   Link #3439
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzac View Post
Those are just some examples off the top of my head. So, any of you folks feel the same during the same instance of a missing interface feature or miscellaneous aesthetic?
In addition to the examples you listed, the one thing I would add -- and it seems dead-simple -- is the option to add save slots. Typically the game designers come up with some arbitrary number of save slots that they figure will be good enough -- usually 100 slots over 10 pages or some such. But it's so completely arbitrary and arcane. The engine Windmill uses for its games has a simple plus button that let's you make more pages on the fly so if you're not satisfied with their arbitrary limit, you can just add more.

As was said, this especially applies to game that don't have a "Scene Memory" feature that goes beyond the H scenes, which is another arcane hold-out from back when these games were more about the sex than the story (so the sex scenes were presumably the only ones worth recalling?). One interesting approach that PeasSoft does is have a scene recall for every CG (whether H or not), which isn't a bad idea since those are typically the major scenes you'll probably want to jump to. But a full scene listing is always nice too -- only weakness is to keep them descriptive enough to explain what happens in each (some Circus games have this problem). I've seen a few games with a flowchart too (that allows jumping to any point in the story), and that's an interesting way of doing it too. Da Capo games also have a "scene summary" feature that is kind of nice for subsequent playthroughs (gives you a brief synopsis of what happens in the scene if you've seen it before).

I also agree with Mahou that while I like the dynamic sprites in Yuzusoft games, sometimes I think they go a bit overboard with motion and changes -- almost for the sake of having things move. If it's done well, though, it's nice. Certainly better than seeing the same 20 sprites in the same poses and places all the time.
Old 2012-04-08, 12:42   Link #3440
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I also agree with Mahou that while I like the dynamic sprites in Yuzusoft games, sometimes I think they go a bit overboard with motion and changes -- almost for the sake of having things move. If it's done well, though, it's nice. Certainly better than seeing the same 20 sprites in the same poses and places all the time.
For what it's worth, I think they have struck just the right balance in Dracu Riot. The sprites are "active" enough to add to the flow of conversation, without going overboard and looking like movement for the sake of it. Sometimes it's just the character's eyes/expression that shifts to reflect small shifts in tone, sometimes the whole pose for bigger ones.

While I'm no fan of overbearing movement, something I think Yuzusoft has been a bit guilty of in the past, I have no qualms with their visual presentation of Dracu Riot - it looks quite nice.

And I hereby place a bet on Miu being your favorite heroine, whenever you get around to reading it

Tags
bishoujo game, ero-game, eroge, visual novel