AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2003-12-23, 17:31   Link #1
Maktos
Maktosian

Sorry for that last post

I'm sorry.

I figured some people might want to hear about it, since it's free. The EXE is your typical "Windows Installer" program, in this case it installs the 30 .BMP files to your \Windows directory.

What is the best way to get the word out on this? It sure took a bit of work to put together... Download.com charges you now a minimum of $70 - even if you're contributing a freeware screensaver! I can't believe what turn the Internet has taken.

Matthew
Maktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 17:39   Link #2
p3psi
Oscar winning black actor

PM nigthy, dont start a new post still advertising your program
p3psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 17:43   Link #3
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Your .EXE is probably some kind of kiddie trojan and your best bet right now is to post it on a big forum with the hope of finding a few unlucky guys.

Of course, it *might* be a Windows installer, but I really doubt it is. ^^;;

Edit: Of course, 30 BMP (Averange size of a BMP wallpaper is around 2MB) wallpapers for ONLY 239kb! Man, I want to know your compression format!
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 17:50   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maktos
What is the best way to get the word out on this? It sure took a bit of work to put together... Download.com charges you now a minimum of $70 - even if you're contributing a freeware screensaver! I can't believe what turn the Internet has taken.

Matthew
Assuming that this isn't actually a trojan I'd suggest that you submit it to www.nonags.com. They have a huge collection of freeware. I don't know if they charge anything to put you on their site, but since it is freeware only, I doubt it.

In case other people haven't heard of No Nags, here is a quote from their website explaining what they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.NoNags.com
Tired of software that doesn't work? Tired of installing software that was nothing more than a sales pitch for some overpriced utility? Did someone ask you to pay more than you paid for your operating system for a utility that took 10 minutes to produce and could be substituted with a three line batch file?

Tired of removing demos and crippled programs that never really un-installed completely and left your your hard disks with dozens of unneeded files?

Did someone tell you to download free software and after you downloaded and installed you found it doesn't work unless you paid $100?

At NONAGS we try to sift through all this, we do the work of selecting what really works, what's really free, what really is worth your time and effort. So we have put together a large collection of 32-bit Windows software that has no disabled features, nags, time limits, or any other tricks.

We download, virus scan, install, test, rate and list... You just enjoy the programs.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 17:52   Link #5
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Lightbulb

As the rules and Vulkar's reply in the other thread point out: if you want to share links to such things; do so in your signature.

If you want my take on how to approach it (and bare in mind this is just my opinion, other mods may take a different view)...

If you really feel the need to start a thread about something you've made or found, first make sure it has some sort of discussion value ~ that's what the forum is for, discussion. A simple statement offing something does not cut it -- no matter how useful you think the item is. If you start talking about "flash-cards" and find that people are interested, then (and only then) should you consider posting links or pointing people to your signature.

Second, pay attention to where you are posting it ... flash-card wallpaper has no direct relation to anime, does it? General Chat -- yes. General Anime -- no. If that was a mistake, just say so... we all make them.

All this might seem a little restrictive or "anal" to use a common vulgarism; but we find it works and helps draw the line between what is and is not spam. By requiring that you start a thread that builds interest and discussion on the topic in question, we weed out those who only join the forum to post links and spam our members.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 20:25   Link #6
Lambda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maktos
IThe EXE is your typical "Windows Installer" program, in this case it installs the 30 .BMP files to your \Windows directory.
If that's true, then it's sacrificing functionality for trivialness of use. Distribute images in an image format, and anyone can use them. Distribute them as a Windows installer, and only people running Windows can use them. (Well, actually I'm sure Wine would work for my particular setup, but that's not the point.)
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-24, 09:52   Link #7
Maktos
Maktosian

Response to your concerns

You were wondering how 30 .BMPs can be 239K?

1) They are 16-color bitmaps - average 170K each.
2) There is a LOT of potential for compression, since most of each bitmap is the white background. They compress about 98% on average.

You're right - I could have just done a ZIP file, and distributed them that way - but I wanted to be more professional. I started with a regular ZIP file and tried to make it EXE, but I don't have a registered version of WinZip yet (so they put in this annoying splash screen with their self-extracting EXEs).

Since it's a freely distributable item, you could always ZIP, ARJ, or GZ them and make a new package...

For those of you who are scared, just right click the link, click "Save target as", and download it to your hard drive - then scan it with your antivirus software. I scanned the file with Norton Antivirus 2000 (with all the latest updates) and it is totally clean.

Matthew
Old 2003-12-25, 13:36   Link #8
Maktos
Maktosian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambda
If that's true, then it's sacrificing functionality for trivialness of use. Distribute images in an image format, and anyone can use them. Distribute them as a Windows installer, and only people running Windows can use them. (Well, actually I'm sure Wine would work for my particular setup, but that's not the point.)
I have now made a ZIP file with only the BMPs for the non-windows crowd. If you want a link to it, please e-mail me at mcdevitt76@hotmail.com

Matthew
Old 2003-12-25, 14:22   Link #9
Thany
Unfair

I think you shouldn't give your e-mail.
Some people may send you trojans or anything...
That's the reason you should hide your email, who knows who see your email
Old 2003-12-25, 23:49   Link #10
Maktos
Maktosian

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanosk
I think you shouldn't give your e-mail.
Some people may send you trojans or anything...
That's the reason you should hide your email, who knows who see your email
Good point - I guess I'm a bit of a newbie again (in some ways). 3 1/2 years ago, when I was last on the Net, only a few forums used the program this site uses (which is the one they ALL use now, it seems) I have to learn the ins-and-outs. For instance, the "WWW" button leads to my site - there's no need to post a message with a HTTP link to the product. See I'm operating like someone in 1999/2000 would have. Most older forums didn't have all these features.

Matthew