AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-12-07, 10:42   Link #1
Tonytime20
Kona (coffee) Junkie

Sports In General.

Alright. Well there is a football thread, but what about the other sports? They deserve some praise (or not) as well!

What are your favorites? What players do you love or hate? Let's discuss big trades in baseball (I'd love to know those), football of course, basketball's new season, hockey, even NASCAR and other racing. Hope you all are sports fans like me

As for me, I'm disappointed at this year's World Series. Yeah it's great that Boston won again, but the games were terrible. Not one of them was close in the end. I can't wait for the 2008 seaon to begin. Torre's move to the Dodgers might create a NL challenger for the title next year. Would would have thought?

I'm also sad to see the 2007 NASCAR seaon end, especially with Johnson winning. Man, I'm so tired of Hendrick and his drivers. They're the new yorks yankees of racing. Gibbs move to toyota is still killing me. It seems like Tony, Denny, and now Kyle are hardly going to compete at all... but I wish them the best!
Tonytime20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-07, 11:12   Link #2
User65554
Disabled By Request

Good point actually, there are plenty of threads for seperate sports, but none for sports in general (or at least none that I know of). Suprised noone thought of this earlier (unless they had).
User65554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-07, 12:58   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonytime20 View Post
I'm disappointed at this year's World Series. Yeah it's great that Boston won again, but the games were terrible. Not one of them was close in the end.
The Series was boring, but the ALCS with Cleveland was anything but.

However, the most pressure-packed series for me has to be the 2004 ALCS between Boston and the Yankees. The Red Sox also faced elimination after starting 1-3; game five was the perhaps most tense I have ever been watching a baseball game. It lasted fourteen innings, with neither team scoring after the eighth until Ortiz's RBI single in the bottom of the 14th.

After coming back from 0-3 to win the ALCS against the Yankees, the World Series sweep against the Cardinals in 2004 was remarkably undramatic.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-07, 15:34   Link #4
arcadeplayer987

Well I personally don't know too much about Nascar but I love F1, the last year was a pretty exciting one with a tight fight for the title and a surprise winner in the end
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-07, 16:15   Link #5
Tonytime20
Kona (coffee) Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The Series was boring, but the ALCS with Cleveland was anything but.

However, the most pressure-packed series for me has to be the 2004 ALCS between Boston and the Yankees. The Red Sox also faced elimination after starting 1-3; game five was the perhaps most tense I have ever been watching a baseball game. It lasted fourteen innings, with neither team scoring after the eighth until Ortiz's RBI single in the bottom of the 14th.

After coming back from 0-3 to win the ALCS against the Yankees, the World Series sweep against the Cardinals in 2004 was remarkably undramatic.
I completely agree! Especially about the '04 ALCS. I was ecstatic for days about that, not only because it was the first time any team had come back form 0-3, but also because Boston did it against new york! What a year that was.
Old 2007-12-07, 16:30   Link #6
Drakarst
Dark Star Rising

Yankees fan here..Thanks for bringing up a lot of bad memories..
Drakarst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-07, 16:31   Link #7
User65554
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadeplayer987
Well I personally don't know too much about Nascar but I love F1, the last year was a pretty exciting one with a tight fight for the title and a surprise winner in the end
That it was, not only with the title fight between Raikonnen, Hamilton and Alonso, but also with the controversy behind the scenes, McLaren stealing Ferrari's plans, McLaren team mates Hamilton and Alonso falling out, and McLaren stopped from competing for the constructor's championship.
I found the British coverage of F1 this year hilarious, as when Hamilton started winning races, F1 suddenly found far more coverage than normal, and as the season progressed there were headlines such as 'Hamilton could be thrown out of Championship!' (always Hamilton, never McLaren or Alonso) and 'Alonso: The most evil man on Earth?' (ok, maybe I slightly exaggerated that one), 'Hamilton has won the Championship!' (actual points required to win championship not won at time of going to print) and at the end of the season 'The man is a loser! He can't win! Why are we still talking about him? He is a bad example etc. etc. etc.' (really, he's had one of the best rookie seasons of all time, what more do you want?)
Old 2007-12-07, 16:33   Link #8
Tonytime20
Kona (coffee) Junkie

Well, you've enjoyed your success. Hopefully there are many more bad memories to come for yankees fans. Nothing personal, though.
Old 2007-12-07, 18:01   Link #9
Rahan

I absolutely hate motor sports as well as american football and hockey.

Besides football, I watch european basketball, handball and rugby union. The rugby thread was dead even during the world cup and I don't think anyone here cares about the others sports.

I also love to sail. My childhood dream was to cross the atlantic in solo (I've always been the solitary guy) and I intend to do it someday (it's not really such a big deal anymore anyways) even if has been quite a while since I last sailed. (I didn't go to the sea since I finished high school 7 years ago) I intend to try gliding also. It looks like fun.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-07, 19:29   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by VK-Pitt View Post
I found the British coverage of F1 this year hilarious, as when Hamilton started winning races, F1 suddenly found far more coverage than normal
Back in the 70's I was in Britain during the World Cup (74, probably) and watched a bit of the coverage on the BBC. The final, as I recall, was between Germany and the Netherlands. Neverthless when half time rolled around and they returned to the studio, the discussion focused on... wait for it... good calls by the Scottish referee! Maybe 30 years or so of belonging to the EU has tempered this sort of ridiculous nationalism, but somehow I doubt it.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-07, 20:48   Link #11
User65554
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Back in the 70's I was in Britain during the World Cup (74, probably) and watched a bit of the coverage on the BBC. The final, as I recall, was between Germany and the Netherlands. Neverthless when half time rolled around and they returned to the studio, the discussion focused on... wait for it... good calls by the Scottish referee! Maybe 30 years or so of belonging to the EU has tempered this sort of ridiculous nationalism, but somehow I doubt it.
Don't worry, it hasn't.

Olympics are always the best, though.
'And the British won in this event, came second in this one, this one, and other nations won these 15 other ones.'
'Britain now has 5 Gold medals, 6 Silver, 2 Bronze, and some other nations also have some medals.'
'A Britain competed in this event, and someone else won it. The Brit did well though, despite coming 14th.'
(Bit of an exaggeration, as the events other nations win are almost never reported afterwards, unless a 'plucky Brit' does well and falls at the final hurdle, or gets injured for a sad moment)

And of course, this year, the Rugby Union World Cup got little media attention as well, until the English beat Australia and it actually looked like we might win it!

Anyway, been a while since Britain has refereed a World Cup Final, so fair play to the lad, he went out there to make desicions and run the game and he did his nation proud
(It'll be interesting to see what the commentators make of next years Euro 2008, with no British team in it at all )
Old 2007-12-07, 23:03   Link #12
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonytime20 View Post
Well, you've enjoyed your success. Hopefully there are many more good memories to come for yankees fans. Nothing personal, though.
Fixed the quote for you.

It's a shame that the Yankees keep on losing in the first round. Maybe with these youngbloods and no more Torre we can finally make it past there.
At least we don't need to win another world series until 2019 to keep the "World Series Every Decade" streak alive (Save the 80s).
Old 2007-12-08, 03:26   Link #13
Smile Thing
Smile like you mean it.

You know I watch NASCAR like you do, Parker. (with you too!) and Baseball (Just now getting into)
I don't like sports that much since I know nothing about them but i'm picking up!

Last edited by Smile Thing; 2007-12-08 at 03:26. Reason: Capitalization Errors.
Smile Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-08, 19:04   Link #14
Tonytime20
Kona (coffee) Junkie

Hey Jenny *hugs* Yes birdy watching nascar with you is awesome And I'll help you learn about baseball! It's not as hard as it seems ^_^

And I never would have expected the response from F1 fans. What a surprise
Old 2007-12-08, 19:25   Link #15
User65554
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonytime20
And I never would have expected the response from F1 fans. What a surprise
Yes, all 2 of us
Old 2007-12-08, 21:01   Link #16
Tonytime20