AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-05-11, 05:26   Link #61
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.muffin
If only the DVDs had English subtitles and didn't cost so much...
Let's just hope an American company license this soon. Though I can imagine ADV to really excel at this title.
Old 2006-05-11, 05:39   Link #62
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.muffin
If only the DVDs had English subtitles and didn't cost so much...
Money should not be considered for great Haruhiism, also if Haruhiism gets licensed it would be a corruption.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-05-11, 10:13   Link #63
tsuraramai

Send a message via AIM to tsuraramai
Haruhiism is only getting stronger -

Akibablog is reporting that "Hare Hare Yukai" the end single, completely sold out at most Akihabara merchants by 6pm, release day. Amazon.co.jp also confirms the single's initial shipment is gone (with 8-10 days wait time for the next).

As of yesterday afternoon -

Haruhi pwns:

-#1 on amazon.co.jp's music list (Hare Hare Yukai), the op single was #3
-#1 on amazon.co.jp's DVD list (ep 0), preorders for DVD vol 1 were #3
-#6 (And the following 8 slots) on amazon.co.jp's booklist, under Harry Potter, all three parts of the Da Vinci Code (actually only one book, but eating 3 slots ^^; ), and another novel, the manga is also in the top 20...

Haruhi's turning into quite a force to contend with...

articles:
http://www.akibablog.net/archives/2006/05/post_506.html
http://www.akibablog.net/archives/2006/05/post_509.html
http://www.akibablog.net/archives/2006/05/post_508.html
(Hare Hare Yukai dance off~)
http://golgo31.blog35.fc2.com/blog-entry-8.html

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...395477-7905967

\^^/ It's a wonderful week to be otaku
Old 2006-05-11, 11:11   Link #64
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Well my Hare Hare Yukai CD arrived today

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2006-05-11, 11:40   Link #65
tsuraramai

"Hare Hare Yukai" didn't make oricon #1... the Vippers are annoyed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zZto...&search=vipper

awww... he lost is "w" key

Last edited by tsuraramai; 2006-05-11 at 20:39.
Old 2006-05-11, 11:42   Link #66
mr.muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Money should not be considered for great Haruhiism, also if Haruhiism gets licensed it would be a corruption.
Money is one thing, but with my elementary level Japanese I won't be able to understand most of what the characters are saying...
Actually I'm hoping Haruhi does get licensed, so I can get DVDs with English subs. But only after the whole series ends of course.
Old 2006-05-11, 12:19   Link #67
The Undertaker
OCTB Undercover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuraramai
"Hare Hare Yukai" didn't make oricon... the Vippers are annoyed:

I don't get it...What the hell was that guy so mad about or better yet, what was he doing?
Old 2006-05-11, 13:44   Link #68
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Whaaat?!?! Not no.1???!?!?!

Goddammi-

*attacks his keyboard*

CHACHACHACHACHACHACHACHACHACHA!

LOLOLOLOLOL

Classic.
Old 2006-05-11, 14:01   Link #69
tsuraramai

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Undertaker
I don't get it...What the hell was that guy so mad about or better yet, what was he doing?
it's actually a video of some scandinavian or german kid beating the hell out of his computer out of frustration over a video game, the video's old... but someone over at 2ch added some priceless subtitles to reflect the current haruhi vipper angst ~

some background: there's been an aggressive campaign to make "Hare Hare Yukai" #1 on the Oricon charts... so aggressive, that about 100 geeks flooded Akiba on the 10th with home-made signs and flagged down everyone they could to plug the cd for free. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXQybeXuFaQ)

Amazon.co.jp sold out of the cd... so did most of the stores in Akiba. Looking pretty good so far...

On the morning of the 11th, everyone ran to check oricon expecting their efforts to have paid off.

... that's where this video comes in

the subtitles more or less say "It'll be #1 I bet... *cackle*... here I go checking out the new Oricon chart... #1, #2, #3 etc... WTF ZOMG I can't believe it! It isn't here! It's not even in the top 10! I'm gonna kill someone!!!!! ARGH SGASGAHOFGBHQSPDIFNWFPINWF.... Oh no, I've lost my W key... I can't be a l33t vipper without a W-key... my W-key.... *babble*"

W-keys are very important to vippers

for wwwwwwwwwwwwww-ing
Old 2006-05-11, 14:08   Link #70
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It'll be interesting to see if any R1 licensing can handle the translation properly for the subtitles... much less cast the English VAs worth a damn.

Aye.. I agree... I sincerely hope it isn't licensed til after the series ends (mostly because I'd go insane like I'm half insane waiting for Kamichu! now). I religiously buy R1 releases of series I like - so the money is already locked away for Kamichu! and Ichigo Marshmellow. I plan on buying TMP .... but see I'm not insane there because I got to see the whole tv broadcast
Old 2006-05-11, 14:18   Link #71
Julius Firefocht

Quote:
it's actually a video of some scandinavian or german kid beating the hell out of his computer out of frustration over a video game, the video's old... but someone over at 2ch added some priceless subtitles to reflect the current haruhi vipper angst ~

some background: there's been an aggressive campaign to make "Hare Hare Yukai" #1 on the Oricon charts... so aggressive, that about 100 geeks flooded Akiba on the 10th with home-made signs and flagged down everyone they could to plug the cd for free. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXQybeXuFaQ)

Amazon.co.jp sold out of the cd... so did most of the stores in Akiba. Looking pretty good so far...

On the morning of the 11th, everyone ran to check oricon expecting their efforts to have paid off.

the subtitles more or less say "It'll be #1 I bet... *cackle*... here I go checking out the new Oricon chart... #1, #2, #3 etc... WTF ZOMG I can't believe it! It isn't here! It's not even in the top 10! I'm gonna kill someone!!!!! ARGH SGASGAHOFGBHQSPDIFNWFPINWF.... Oh no, I've lost my W key... I can't be a l33t vipper without a W-key... my W-key.... *babble*"

for wwwwwwwwwwwwww-ing
I think it's a case of demand outstripping supply. After all, all shops in Akihabara ran out of Hare Hare Yukai on the first day it came in.
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Old 2006-05-11, 14:36   Link #72
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hard for something to hit #1 if they don't print enough copies to sell.

I wonder how many releases of music or whatnot have fallen victim to *that* sort of success?
Old 2006-05-11, 16:11   Link #73
The Undertaker
OCTB Undercover

Quote:

for wwwwwwwwwwwwww-ing
O, okay. Now I just need to know what a vipper is
Old 2006-05-11, 16:14   Link #74
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

Quote:
"Hare Hare Yukai" didn't make oricon... the Vippers are annoyed:

LoL that video was used by a friend of mine as little joke of what happens when they played German CS clans
Old 2006-05-11, 17:24   Link #75
tsuraramai

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Undertaker
O, okay. Now I just need to know what a vipper is
A vipper, for all intents and purposes, is basically a hardcore 2ch geek. The term comes from the VIP board, where the most hardcore geeks spend all their time typing "wwwwww" and making obscure geeky jokes
Old 2006-05-11, 17:44   Link #76
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
why "w"? what so good about that letter?
Old 2006-05-11, 18:23   Link #77
tsuraramai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
w ~> warau/warai (japanese for "laugh"/"laughter")

www = lol

more w's, more laughing
Old 2006-05-11, 18:28   Link #78
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
"w" is short for "warai", which is Japanese for "laugh". It works similar to the English(?) "lol".

VIPPER referrs to the "residents" of the 2ch board (in particular, the Nyu-soku VIP boards). VIPPERs usually consists of hikikomoris (people who stay home to avoid social contact with others), neets (people which no job or school), chuubous (immature idiots who post stupid things). Of course, VIPPER is really a stereotype (not all 2ch users are like that), but nobody cares.

Now, as for the Oricon thing. It's not that hard to believe. Consider the following:

- Some sources have said that the number of "Hare Hare Yukai" initially released was less than 10,000, with an additional 20,000 on stand-by: not nearly enough for a good rank on Oricon even if everything sold.
- Amazon, which MANY people purchased the CD from, was overwhelmed by the demand. The majority of the people who pre-ordered from Amazon received a delay notice (shipment delayed to 5/13) on the day of release.
- Sales from Amazon and some other chain stores doesn't get sent in for Oricon daily rankings, only for the weekly ranking.
- The fact is, "Hare Hare Yukai" IS selling out in chain stores that deal with anime goods all over the country.
- (then again, in comparison to mainstream music shops, both the scale and number of sales of anime songs in anime-goods stores are severely limited)
etc. The point is, it's not because nobody's buying the CD (some guy on 2ch who has a friend working at Amazon said the list of people whose "Hare Hare Yukai" got delayed was so long it's not even funny), this is a simple case of demand overwhelming supply.

Maybe Lantis should've paid more attention to the movement and taken it more seriously.

But in the end, it's true that the single did lousy for it's first day (Oricon daily 15th on 5/9, from pre-release sales alone). The weekly rankings (this weekend) will be the last chance.

Over at her blog, Chihara Minori (Yuki) was actually happy for the whole 15th thing. Mixed feelings right there...
Old 2006-05-12, 12:17   Link #79
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Oh man, you'd think that Lantis would have learned something about the possible demand for the Haruhi single after seeing:

1. the huge campaign push the Negima singles had last year (for those who aren't familiar with it, last year there was a huge campaign in hopes of getting one of the Happy Material Negima singles to reach number 1 in the Oricon listings, but the mission ended in failure);
2. how popular the Haruhi novels were on the Japanese Amazon site.
Old 2006-05-12, 14:52   Link #80
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1
Oh man, you'd think that Lantis would have learned something about the possible demand for the Haruhi single after seeing:

1. the huge campaign push the Negima singles had last year (for those who aren't familiar with it, last year there was a huge campaign in hopes of getting one of the Happy Material Negima singles to reach number 1 in the Oricon listings, but the mission ended in failure);
2. how popular the Haruhi novels were on the Japanese Amazon site.
1. Well, you have to cut them some slack, since Lantis has never had so much, er, publicity with one of their records before. In fact, the OP "Bouken Desho Desho?", which got 10th place in the Oricon weekly rank chart, was already one of their most successful single releases (to offer a statistic for comparison, it sold over 20,000 copies within the first 2 weeks of release). Besides, it's not that they didn't produce enough copies, it's the fact that the initial shipment number was far too few (less than 10,000), which caused the single to be sold out pretty much everywhere on the first day, that messed things up. By the next day (5/11), most shops have restocked, but who knows how much that initial distruption could have hurt the sales.

And Happy Material didn't really fail, 3rd place on Oricon is quite amazing, I think. Out of the 7 versions of Happy Material released, 4 of them ranked higher than 5th place on the Oricon weekly chart when they were released, and all of them ranked in within the top 10.

Price might be a factor, I guess (the Happy Material singles were only 735 yen, compared to Hare Hare Yukai's 1,200 yen). Besides the fact that Negima is far more mainstream oriented compared to Haruhi.

2. Forget the novels. The fact that "Hare Hare Yukai" remained no.1 on Amazon's best seller chart for over 2 weeks should've said something. ^^;

EDIT: I just checked the single on Amazon, the shipping time estimate went from "Usually ships in 2 - 3 days" to "Usually ships in 4 ~ 6 weeks"
....... There's no better time to use "orz" than this, I think.
orz

And stores in Akiba have once again, sold out on their 5/11 restocked copies.
It doesn't help if they keep selling out and restocking. ><

Also, over at the SOS-dan radio branch site, in the comment area for the 14th meeting that was just uploaded...
"...『ハレ晴レユカイ』が5月10日に発売されました!お急ぎショップへGo! そうそう、アレは14日の日曜日まで間に合うらしいです♪"
("『Hare Hare Yukai』 has been released on May 10th! Hurry and GO for the stores! Oh yeah, it seems like you'll be in time for "that" as long as it's before Sunday the 14th♪")

Aw c'mon, who wrote that? That person needs to be beaten.

Last edited by Sushi-Y; 2006-05-12 at 15:32.
Closed Thread