AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2006-02-09, 10:51   Link #1
darkcloud

Ok, take this post from someone who is a huge anime fan and those who sub it, but, doesn't get involved in all the "politics" of fansubbers..........

I'm just wondering, what exactly is the problems that fansubbers are having? It seems that everyone hates what they are doing and they all want to retire........
I always thought that people fansubbed because they enjoyed it.... :-/ I also hear people saying that all the leachers don't appreciate the work done or whatever, but, this clearly isn't true...... It just so happens that as with everything in life those who are dissapointed (not the word I'm looking for here :-/) are the ones who are more vocal..... I'm also pretty sure these leachers wouldn't be leachers if they had something they could do to help....... Calling them leachers is a bit unfair.....

Basically I'm just wondering what the problem is...... ^^;;
darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 13:18   Link #2
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
No matter how fun fansubbing might be when one starts, eventually it won't be as fun anymore compared to other things. Quit a bunch of people started fansubbing because it was something "cool and new." Eventually, the novelty factor wore off and/or they realized how much work it entailed. Besides, I'm sure there's a lot of people who are disgusted at the current fansubbing "scene" and believe that most things aren't worth fansubbing anymore.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 16:27   Link #3
LytHka
Banned

I mentioned that what got me started was getting distro access in return for fansubbing, but I feel like inside me was an urge to pay back for all the work which the fansubbing community already did. Because of that, I started fansubbing already after only 6 months of being an anime leecher. Back then I didn't have a steady income, so the only way I was able to "pay up" for all the free anime I was watching was with some labor (Yes, there was time when I was fansubbing out of the wrong reasons). Don't get me wrong, it is fun having distro access to fast and stable bots, updated with new releases constantly and a chance to talk daily with other hardcore anime fans (you can't have conversations like that, about anime, IRL with your anime club members). But I think I paid my dues with the record of well over 200 releases. So I think retirement will do me good (especially with my school work). These days I fansub only the things I really like which is kind of troublesome for the group I'm in sometimes, since I dropped a series because of that or my work on series just slows down. Probably the only thing which would permanently cement me in the fansubbing scene would be running my own fansubbing group. However, most true fansubbing groups (a.k.a. non-dvd ripping groups) without a translator as its founder or its dedicated head honcho are doomed to collapse from the start after an undefined period of time which is usually no longer than 3 years (most of them fail in under a year, rare cases survived 4+ years). This has proven time and time again to be true, so I'd be contradicting my own analysis if I started my own group.
About leechers not being grateful: Overall, leechers are ungrateful scum. I am still interacting inside a friendly community where they don't know that I'm a fansubber and not once they expressed any gratitude towards any fansubbing group, let alone the fansubber. The ones who publically express gratitude are usually the breed of leechers who constantly download releases from their favorite/sympathizing groups only, a.k.a. fansubbing group fanboys/fangirls. They are the ones who usually do the "thank yous" and what not and maybe they even mean that. While their thanks means little to myself, it means a lot to many fansubbers and it's certainly one of the key factors for fansubbers to continue fansubbing.
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 18:40   Link #4
Sairai_X

You have no idea how whiny and demanding "fans" are. When I did Trinity Blood I would regularly get harrassing messages demanding that I work on project X instead, on the order of maybe 10 week. When a project was delayed due to illness, we heard whining. When a project was delayed because the show didn't air that week, we heard whining. There was whining when something was translated in one way, and whining when it was translated when it was translated another. Especially in the realm of translating, everybody and their sister thinks that they know better than you, even if their experience in the language is limited to Naruto eps, and you'll hear about it too. Sure, you can ignore or ban the first few, but after they start reaching into the hundreds, it gets harder and harder to remind yourself why you're doing it in the first place.
Over the 4 years that I fansubbed, I was called every name imaginable by people who saw me as essentially a machine to produce free anime for them. Especially for a translator competent to find/watch any anime they want, it's simply not worth the abuse.

I left Shinsen because of issues with Vincent, but I left fansubbing because it's simply not a fun thing to do anymore.
Sairai_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 19:32   Link #5
Gaia
ROW! ROW! FIGHT DA POWAH!
*Graphic Designer

Hm, this is an interesting topic... Well, you could call me also a leecher but I actually dont know, how I could support some groups (well, seeding yea but that's automaticaly). At least, I'm a little bit experienced with fansubbing and there is one thing I really know. A thank you is often not enough to keep up my favourite groups stamina. There's so much work and one thing Sairai already mentioned. People start to thank, if they like what you do. As time goes by they get used to it... and then, someday... They try to use you like a machine, only for their one benefits.
If I ever start a fansub group or be a part of it, it'll will probably a private one, even if it's anti-social. There's has to be a reason, why so many groups I've liked in the past died. The best way is learning from them, I think.
Anyway... There is still one positive fact, I'd like to mention. Compared to other bittorent networks with other media, the anime network is pretty well seeded. That speaks for the good hearts of many anime ota's, which like to share the series they like and thank the group, which worked so hard on it.

Aesir
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 20:24   Link #6
lanfear
DB Editor/Timer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to lanfear
The attitudes of some leechers are just incredible. For example, DB has a feedback form on our website. Although the majority of the feedback we get is positive, we get some crazy complaints, and occasionally even threats. For example one guy recently threatened to "spam your e-mails, feedback and telephone lines with words i do not intend to utter here" because we didn't answer his question about when a certain series would begin (as if we have anything to do with that). Occasionally we get complaints about the actual content of the episodes as if we are actually writing and animating the shows instead of just subbing them. Maybe there are 10 or even 100 polite, respectful leechers for every idiotic, ungrateful one, but unfortunately the ungrateful ones tend to me a lot more vocal, or at least more memorable.
lanfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 21:20   Link #7
Ledgem
Love Yourself

From what I've seen, it doesn't really have to do with the leechers. Simply put, you burn out. What you're doing becomes boring, you start wishing you had more free time instead of fansubbing, you go through a period where anime just isn't as interesting to you anymore, something happens in your life and fansubbing needs to be pushed aside... anything. Abusive fans may be the cause for some fansubbers, but for the groups I've fansubbed with, leecher interaction was optional, and if a fan wanted to rail on us in our channel or over private messages, it didn't mean we had to listen.
Old 2006-02-09, 22:25   Link #8
Grave

Hehe If i were to retire i would retire due to busy or lack of interest in anime...
I can never retire cause of the fan as i never go into main channel and only stay in staff..that way i dont have to deal with the leecher ^^
Grave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 23:48   Link #9
Srin Tuar
無謀

Everybody has to move on eventually.
(just not everybody advertises it)
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 23:54   Link #10
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

Quote:
Why Retire From Fansubbing?
Because it sucks.
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 00:01   Link #11
|Osiris|
>:D

you cant put food on the table by fansubbing (>_>)
|Osiris| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 00:01   Link #12
Ky_Kiske
Unleash the fury mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodachrome
Because it sucks.
As does a lot of the anime airing now adays

and the leechers too, they're the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked
Ky_Kiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 00:06   Link #13
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Osiris|
you cant put food on the table by fansubbing (>_>)
Speed sub a lot of popular stuff and ask for Donations and people will be like "Zomg zomg u guyz r so fast i gib u monee" then you've got food money.
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 00:21   Link #14
DryFire
Panda Herder

There are far more efficient ways to procure money then fansubbing.

I suppose there's no reason to continue when the fun stops. A good way to keep it fun is probably not to spend too much time at the begining and pace yourself, but I'm a noob at this so perhaps I'm wrong.
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 00:26   Link #15
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

I think the fact people are retiring is a myth...And if it isn't a myth looks like soon as somebody leaves there 5 guys ready to step in their place...I mean you have countless amounts of anime being made each year and no matter what it is I want to see or check out there is ALWAYS someone out there fansubbing it...I mean quality obviously varies, but it doesn't seem to me the people that are retiring or quitting are even affecting the movement that much...

Just goto torrents@animesuki and you'll see hundreds of them, then you can goto all the other search engines that have what they don't have...If an anime has even the slightest bit of hype surrounding it it's gonna get fansubbed...

I find this all to be somewhat of a non-issue...Leechers are always gonna act like leechers, subbers are always gonna be pi$$ed at alot of leechers yet will still fansub...And in all honesty most of these guys are normal (abnormal ) adults who have to deal with things in life a little more important than subbing an anime...and if you have to leave because you gotta a new GF, looking for a new carreer, or you've just had enuff of it all...that's all cool with me...somebody will fill those shoes...much like it's always been during this movement...
Old 2006-02-10, 00:29   Link #16
CelesAurivern
Mein Kampf :D
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodachrome
Speed sub a lot of popular stuff and ask for Donations and people will be like "Zomg zomg u guyz r so fast i gib u monee" then you've got food money.
Can we start doing that?
I need the money for early retirement.
CelesAurivern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 00:46   Link #17
DryFire
Panda Herder

Depends how well your OSU is going
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 00:58   Link #18
CelesAurivern
Mein Kampf :D
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFire
Depends how well your OSU is going
Now the thing is which genre will generate more income?
Shonen action crap or pure smut?
As it stands, most of the oversubbed action shows are licensed, so that leaves the oversubbed smut...
CelesAurivern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 01:16   Link #19
deathbygirl

Just sell your stuff on eBay and collect, easy + simple money. Or set up a site and sell registration in exchange for DDL links of your encodes. kggthx, I'll be expecting royalty fees for suggesting the idea.

Maybe people are finally realizing they're doing it for the wrong reasons. Maybe people feel too righteous about fansubbing and feel the scene is becoming "corrupted" (lawl). But seriously, when it becomes tedious and uninteresting, it's time to move on. If you're sacrificing way too much time on the internets and not enough time IRL (and you finally wake up and realize this is a very big problem), it's time to move on. I'm sure there's various reasons (some of them stupid, some of them legitimate reasons) for it. Last time I checked, people weren't required to sign a blood pact (or variation of it) with fansubbing.
deathbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 02:14   Link #20
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbygirl
Last time I checked, people weren't required to sign a blood pact (or variation of it) with fansubbing.
You obviously weren't paying attention. You sign your soul (or what remains of it) away the second you start subbing.

Fansubbing is going to hell in that groups are putting less emphasis on accuracy and more emphasis on how their subs look, and the leechers are actually happy with this and worship these groups.

And you do not have to directly deal with them to see their stupidity. Go to any forum and you will see how dumb they are.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote