Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-07, 15:27   Link #541
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
the hell?
I'd have:
1:gotten my ass kicked and then some
2: internet taken away
3: if i wanted to be put in a foster home cause i didn't wanna obey my parents, my parents would have given me a sending off party xD

Then again, i'd never ever have the nerve to do anything like that.
The absolute cheek to be honest...

edit:
was just reading some comments from one of the articles and this kinda sums it up for me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Journalist
666divine
If I ever even thought of doing such a thing at 12, my dad would have beat that thought right out of my head and he would have shot anyone who dared to intervene! I'm not saying it's right, but it worked!

Quote:
Seconded.
Thirded.
Quote:
As a result of permissive parenting, many children view themselves as the equals of their parents, rather than respecting them as figures of authority and sources of clothing, food, and shelter. The continuation of this trend will lead to a backwards society the likes of which we cannot even imagine.

A girl whores herself around on the internet and gets grounded by a father who wishes to instill good judgment and values in her. She takes him to court. She wins. I would hate to see what that disrespectful little brat grows up to be like.
Yes yes, it doesn't apply to all kids who may have been brought up with less strict upbringings than i had (of the typical asian/african family kind) - nonetheless, i kinda look around kids in britain and kinda just feel sorry for parents who are actually 'scared' of their own offspring and are bullied by them.

and canada...oh canada...for decades us Brits take the piss out of americans along the lines of 'if you go to america and so much as sneeze wrongly near someone, you'll get sued'
but this is taking the cake (that i'm awake of anyways)
I'm surprised this case was even heard, let alone put in favour of the girl, just what canadian law did he break exactly?

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2008-07-07 at 15:47.
Old 2008-07-07, 16:35   Link #542
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

To be fair to Canadians, this was in Quebec.
Old 2008-07-08, 02:17   Link #543
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
...which isn't part of canada and doesn't follow the same legal system as the rest of the country?
The only difference that i know of quebec is that it's mainly french spoken.
(*feels the bad vibes towards french pple in general around her...*)

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2008-07-10, 11:33   Link #544
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
...."In a way, I thought that [the rebels] knew what my struggle was," she said. "I thought they were wanting perhaps something like the things I was fighting for. I was fighting for social justice. I was fighting against corruption."....

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americ...ntw/index.html
how mush brain do you have to be to be that naive? The FARC was kidnapping people left and right, running drugs, murder and extortion. How much of a iq do you need to understand these people weren't interested in fighting for justice and equality?

I am happy for her family but the Colombia army should have done everyone a favor and left her in the jungle and rescue the no name grunts instead.

it is people like her that gives liberals and progressives a bad name.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2008-07-10 at 15:20.
Old 2008-07-10, 11:39   Link #545
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
I am happy for her family but the Columbia army should have done everyone a favor and left her in the jungle and rescue the no grunts instead.
Ever heard about the term Stockholm Syndrome?
Old 2008-07-10, 11:42   Link #546
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Ever heard about the term Stockholm Syndrome?
those were her thoughts before she got kidnapped, not after. nothing to do with Stockholm syndrome.
Old 2008-07-10, 13:05   Link #547
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
The FARC was kidnapping people left and right, running drugs, murder and extortion.
Though it deserves a thread of its own, the government-led paramilitar forces are guilty of this, too. And even worse, Uribe almost became a mini-Bush, what with the preemptive war bullshit a couple of months ago and whatnot.

By the way, it's Colombia. Columbia is an US district.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2008-07-10, 14:38   Link #548
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Speaking of Colombian politics...
Old 2008-07-15, 17:38   Link #549
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
On 15th July, Ms. Yang Yi (楊逸) was awarded Akutagawa Prize.

Chinese author wins Akutagawa Prize (Yomiuri)

So far, a number of non-native Japanese speakers have gotten great achievement in Japanese literature. In 1996 and 1997, citizens of the US and Switzerland were nominated as candidates to the prize respectively. Nakahara prize (for modern poetry) of 2001 was awarded to a US poet. However, this is the first time a "gaijin" received one of the most famous prizes for novels. It may be encouraging for expecting writers with foreign backgrounds.
Old 2008-07-15, 21:43   Link #550
mg1942

UNbelievable

Here we have a dad defending his daughter from some thugs only to have them call their friends and jump the dad.

These guys are already out on bail ($40-60K each...each posting 10% each) and they range in age from 14 to 22. Yep, they're out and the dad is still in the hospital with a fractured skull.

Quote:
The father of a 12-year-old girl who tried to keep a young man from groping his daughter at a popular Shakopee amusement park was seriously hurt late on July 4 after he was allegedly kicked and stomped by a group of men in an attack police called "brutal."
Link
http://www.startribune.com/local/sou...%20+%20Metro:1
Old 2008-07-15, 21:47   Link #551
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Nothing unusual. The street punks decided to beat a man for the heck of it. It's not the worst that can come.

Last edited by yezhanquan; 2008-07-15 at 21:57.
Old 2008-07-15, 22:09   Link #552
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

At least they didn't blame movies and videogames again...
Old 2008-07-15, 22:53   Link #553
tenken627
what Yagi said

As unfortunate as this incident is, it's not surprising with the many assault cases we hear about everyday.

And the bail does not seem to be that low if these are first-time offenders. I'm assuming that since they are aged 14-22, it is their parents who are paying $4,000-$6,000 to a bail bondsman to have them released.

Either way, it's not like they are off the hook like you make it seem. They still have to go to court, where a judge or jury will determine their fate. With the minors, it will only be some time spent in a juvenile detention. But the ones over 18 should be charged with 1st degree assault, a class A felony, if there really is serious brain hemorrhage and skull fractures.

What really bothers me is that the groper had to actually call 7 others to help him assault one guy, and a much older guy at that.
Old 2008-07-16, 03:56   Link #554
mg1942

The groper's back-up unit~

All charged with JUST 3rd degree felony assault.
Old 2008-07-16, 15:09   Link #555
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

I don't see the point of posting the pictures. Are you trying to infer that they should have gotten heavier charges just because of their faces?

Old 2008-07-16, 17:25   Link #556
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I don't see the point of posting the pictures. Are you trying to infer that they should have gotten heavier charges just because the father who's trying to protect his daughter was nearly killed
Fixed just for you.
Old 2008-07-16, 17:27   Link #557
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

I don't doubt that, I was just asking what the purpose of the photographs was. In case you were trying to pass them as even worse criminals just because of how they look, you know.

Old 2008-07-16, 18:29   Link #558
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think we've established long ago that people that pull stunts like this and most crimes in general are generally not geniuses.

Recent example was the gang of meth junkies who obliterated $40000+ worth of metal sculpture in Oregon to garner $250 in scrap after working their asses off trying to get it out the garden, cutting it up poorly, and then getting caught at the scrapyard.

Frankly, I'd rather be seeing pics of the brave father than the morons getting 15 minutes of world attention.
Old 2008-07-16, 20:03   Link #559
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Frankly, I'd rather be seeing pics of the brave father than the morons getting 15 minutes of world attention.
In some ways, I agree with this. However, the release of their names and faces seems more a mark of shame. They may regard it as fame and as a good thing, of course, which wouldn't deter them or anyone else who thinks that's cool. I'd be horrified. Even if I were the father I'd prefer to remain anonymous, for the sake of myself and my family.

Of interest, after assaulting the father, the gang began randomly assaulting other people. I wonder why nobody else stepped in or made a bigger deal about it? At least, the media makes it sound like nobody did.
Old 2008-07-16, 20:13   Link #560
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
All charged with JUST 3rd degree felony assault.
What? How is that only THIRD Degree? Can someone explain this to me?

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international