User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

That looks awesome ... i want an giant animal/insect
Old 2008-09-10, 10:16   Link #702
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Security upgrade for KFC's famous recipe

Quote:
Louisville, Kentucky (9 Sep 08): Pssst. The secret's out at Kentucky Fried Chicken. Well, sort of. Colonel Harland Sanders' handwritten recipe of 11 herbs and spices was to be removed on Tuesday from safekeeping at KFC's corporate offices for the first time in decades. The temporary relocation is allowing KFC to revamp security around a yellowing sheet of paper that contains one of the country's most famous corporate secrets.

The brand's top executive admitted his nerves were aflutter despite the tight security he lined up for the operation. "I don't want to be the president who loses the recipe," KFC president Roger Eaton said. "Imagine how terrifying that would be."

So important is the 68-year-old concoction that coats the chain's Original Recipe chicken that only two company executives at any time have access to it. The company refuses to release their names or titles, and it uses multiple suppliers who produce and blend the ingredients but know only a part of the entire contents.

KFC hired off-duty police officers and private security guards to whisk the document away to an undisclosed location in an armoured car. The recipe will be slid into a briefcase and handcuffed to security expert Bo Dietl for the ride.

For more than 20 years, the recipe has been tucked away in a filing cabinet equipped with two combination locks in company headquarters. To reach the cabinet, the keepers of the recipe would first open up a vault and unlock three locks on a door that stood in front of the cabinet. Vials of the herbs and spices are also stored in the secret filing cabinet.

Sanders developed the formula in 1940 at his tiny restaurant in south-eastern Kentucky and used it to launch the KFC chain in the early 1950s. Sanders died in 1980, but his likeness is still central to KFC's marketing.

Mr Larry Miller, a restaurant analyst with RBC Capital Markets, said the recipe's value is "almost an immeasurable thing. It's part of that important brand image that helps differentiate the KFC product".

- AP
Old 2008-09-10, 10:51   Link #703
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Is the recipe really that good? I'd rather spend money on the infamous Dixie Pigeon. Pigeons are far more abundant over here. Granted they carry rabies, but tis a small price to pay.
Old 2008-09-10, 12:55   Link #704
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Something in their secret recipe has always made me sick as a dog..... no idea what.

I prefer a Southern Cajun brand called Popeye's ... though it appears they considerably weaken the product outside of "cajun territory". The West Coast Popeye's all advertised as "spicy" what we'd call "extra mild" at home.
Old 2008-09-10, 13:26   Link #705
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Something in their secret recipe has always made me sick as a dog..... no idea what.

I prefer a Southern Cajun brand called Popeye's ... though it appears they considerably weaken the product outside of "cajun territory". The West Coast Popeye's all advertised as "spicy" what we'd call "extra mild" at home.
I... I came here to post the exact same opinion regarding both restaurants. You are clearly a man of fine taste, distinction, and mental acuity.

KFC puts something in all their food that makes me rather ill. I'm sure the Colonel did things differently. While the "secret blend" was always more fluff than truth, I doubt that the security antics here are anything but pure marketing.

On the other hand, Popeyes chicken and biscuits are my second religion. Every week I partake, and every year I make a pilgrimage home... to where the spice is right.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Old 2008-09-10, 13:41   Link #706
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
I... I came here to post the exact same opinion regarding both restaurants. You are clearly a man of fine taste, distinction, and mental acuity.

KFC puts something in all their food that makes me rather ill. I'm sure the Colonel did things differently. While the "secret blend" was always more fluff than truth, I doubt that the security antics here are anything but pure marketing.

On the other hand, Popeyes chicken and biscuits are my second religion. Every week I partake, and every year I make a pilgrimage home... to where the spice is right.
i like popeye's cajuin mash potato but i do prefer the kfc chicken to popeye's.

@kakashi

what is a dixie pigeon? and is any available in the Bay Area?
Old 2008-09-10, 14:04   Link #707
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
@ kakashi

"dixie pidgeons" that is a joke right, cause i don't we're too keen with the eating of rats with wings here last time i checked

edit:
For xellos below:
- I'll just stick with an actual chicken then, thank you

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2008-09-10, 14:06   Link #708
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
@ kakashi

"dixie pidgeons" that is a joke right, cause i don't we're too keen with the eating of rats with wings here last time i checked
whats wrong with eating rats? besides everything taste like chicken anyways.
Old 2008-09-10, 14:54   Link #709
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Are the rats stuffed with rat poison?

And is there ketchup?
Old 2008-09-10, 15:05   Link #710
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Are the rats stuffed with rat poison?
more poisonous then the stuff that is already put in our food?

Quote:
And is there ketchup?
this is america everything is serve with ketchup
Old 2008-09-10, 15:25   Link #711
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Naturally! Ketchup, burger sauce, lettuce and melted cheese all complement the...unique... flavour of flying rats. Also walking rats...yh they're something.
Xellos, you're search may prove fruitlful in San Jose.

edit: Mystique: Yeah well, the actual name of the chicken shop was 'Dixie Chicken'. But the rumor spread that they lured and trapped pigeons at night, making a healthy profit during the day selling pigeon burgers to unwitting customers.

Last edited by Kakashi; 2008-09-10 at 15:38.
Old 2008-09-10, 15:53   Link #712
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Damn. I could go for some rat pie...
Old 2008-09-10, 17:13   Link #713
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i like popeye's cajuin mash potato but i do prefer the kfc chicken to popeye's.
Of course, you realize, this means war!

More relevant, I am ecstatic--OVERJOYED--to see this in the news:

Senator examining rising text messaging rates

For a long time the rising price of text messages has caused no small amount of anger in me. Back home, cellular providers have been giving away texting for free with voice plans (my cousin previously had unlimited text messaging with a measly one minute voice plan). They cost almost nothing to send. Now, I can understand the need to make a profit on a low-overhead, popular item. I don't gripe about the cost of soda in a restaurant.

But for prices to rise so drastically and suddenly in a market where competition is expected and there have been no relevant overhead increases... and at the same time between all competitors... Clearly something is wrong, and I'm outraged that nothing has happened previously. Well, not much is happening now, but it's a start.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Old 2008-09-10, 17:34   Link #714
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
Of course, you realize, this means war!

More relevant, I am ecstatic--OVERJOYED--to see this in the news:

Senator examining rising text messaging rates

For a long time the rising price of text messages has caused no small amount of anger in me. Back home, cellular providers have been giving away texting for free with voice plans (my cousin previously had unlimited text messaging with a measly one minute voice plan). They cost almost nothing to send. Now, I can understand the need to make a profit on a low-overhead, popular item. I don't gripe about the cost of soda in a restaurant.

But for prices to rise so drastically and suddenly in a market where competition is expected and there have been no relevant overhead increases... and at the same time between all competitors... Clearly something is wrong, and I'm outraged that nothing has happened previously. Well, not much is happening now, but it's a start.
snap
http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/09/...y/regulate.php

well this concerns europe, but i'm on holiday atm, t-mobile are bleeding me dry, sms wise, so i've had to actally make quick calls cause its cheaper than a text

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2008-09-10, 17:34   Link #715
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Now, I can understand the need to make a profit on a low-overhead, popular item.
I don't. Charging the fortunes they charge to send 160 simpletext characters on an already overly used network, prepared to withstand a lot more pressure, is something almost criminal. It's like 1000% (or more) of what a regular YouTube-viewing, non-BT downloading grandma pays monthly for her broadband access.

And that's not to mention said grandma is also paying a fortune in regards to the small overhead she causes on the whole system.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2008-09-10, 21:06   Link #716
ssfsx17

Lobbyists are now too cheap to hire hookers. Instead, they do the dirty deeds themselves: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080910/...ior_oil_trysts
Old 2008-09-10, 22:21   Link #717
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I don't. Charging the fortunes they charge to send 160 simpletext characters on an already overly used network, prepared to withstand a lot more pressure, is something almost criminal. It's like 1000% (or more) of what a regular YouTube-viewing, non-BT downloading grandma pays monthly for her broadband access.

And that's not to mention said grandma is also paying a fortune in regards to the small overhead she causes on the whole system.
Oh, what they're doing is wrong, without doubt. "Charging what the market will bear" is one thing, but what they're doing is colluding in order to participate in price gouging.

To explain using the soda analogy: A restaurant will charge much higher margins on its soda than its other products. What costs the restaurant a few cents earns the restaurant a dollar or two. However, what they charge is still a tiny amount to the customer, and prices are kept in check by competition. There's really nothing wrong with this. Having higher profit margins on the drinks allows the restaurant to get by with lower margins on key items, so generally it works out well for both sides. If they customer doesn't like it, they can go elsewhere.

The difference here is that customers can't go elsewhere. This is, out of necessity, a regulated market, but it's NOT being regulated properly. I'm hopping mad.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Old 2008-09-11, 00:35   Link #718
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Since this is election season...
Old 2008-09-11, 03:45   Link #719
mg1942

Here Comes The Trainwreck

Looks like Rush Limbaugh set an example and now Oxycontin is the drug of choice for Young Republicans.

Per the Enquirer, the Palin's oldest son, Track, the one who is deploying to the Middle East sometime this week, has something in common with Rush Limbaugh -- an addiction to OxyContin. Allegedly, Track also enjoys cocaine, weed and alcohol and engaged in vandalism. The story additionally contains allegations that Bristol also enjoys pot and drinking and was kicked out of the house when she fell pregnant.

This is the same source that suspected John Edwards of having extra marital affair... and they were right!
Old 2008-09-11, 03:49   Link #720
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Uh... How reliable is that "National Enquirer" thing, exactly?
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international