AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-21, 21:15   Link #1821
Taufiq91

Well, as long as the sales would lead to a new series or an OVA at least.
Old 2010-12-21, 22:07   Link #1822
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
Well, as long as the sales would lead to a new series or an OVA at least.
From what I've read (all 9 Light Novels and the preview of the 10th), I can infer that we probably won't see a third season in 2011. The reason why? Intrigues, the seventh book, and the direct sequel to Disappearance is the longest book in the series. Because it serves as a direct sequel to Disappearance it would be ideal for serving as the setting of the Second movie of the Haruhi Suzumiya franchise, but there are issues with that. The biggest issue is that without Intrigues there isn't enough material left (not counting the 9th book) for a 3rd season. If they were to throw Intrigues in, there would probably be too much material (Intrigues is long, not Harry Potter long, but long for a Light Novel and the longest book in the series) for said 3rd season. So the most likely is that they announce a series of OVA's that will at first lead into an announcement on Intrigues, then after Intrigues comes out on Blu-ray/DVD they'll announce a couple OVA's that will cover the 8th book and buy time for Tanigawa to write enough material for a "proper" 3rd season.
Old 2010-12-21, 23:46   Link #1823
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
From what I've read (all 9 Light Novels and the preview of the 10th), I can infer that we probably won't see a third season in 2011. The reason why? Intrigues, the seventh book, and the direct sequel to Disappearance is the longest book in the series. Because it serves as a direct sequel to Disappearance it would be ideal for serving as the setting of the Second movie of the Haruhi Suzumiya franchise, but there are issues with that. The biggest issue is that without Intrigues there isn't enough material left (not counting the 9th book) for a 3rd season. If they were to throw Intrigues in, there would probably be too much material (Intrigues is long, not Harry Potter long, but long for a Light Novel and the longest book in the series) for said 3rd season. So the most likely is that they announce a series of OVA's that will at first lead into an announcement on Intrigues, then after Intrigues comes out on Blu-ray/DVD they'll announce a couple OVA's that will cover the 8th book and buy time for Tanigawa to write enough material for a "proper" 3rd season.
Intrigues is great, but it's not nearly good enough for a movie. It would bore the shit out of viewing audiences.

Also, only the prologue is a sequel to Disappearance: the rest of the book follows another short story, The Melancholy of Mikuru Asahina.

If they were to make another 28-episode season they could easily cover the remaining stories from Vols. 5-10.
Old 2010-12-22, 00:46   Link #1824
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
If they were to make another 28-episode season they could easily cover the remaining stories from Vols. 5-10.
Agreed. For season three, you could take up a couple of episodes with Snowy Mountain Syndrome, a couple more with the not-yet-animated stories from Disturbance, and finish off with Intrigues. That will probably allow enough time for the last book to be completed, and season four could contain Books 8-10.

...And if my chronology is off, feel free to correct me.
Old 2010-12-22, 00:53   Link #1825
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Intrigues is great, but it's not nearly good enough for a movie. It would bore the shit out of viewing audiences.

Also, only the prologue is a sequel to Disappearance: the rest of the book follows another short story, The Melancholy of Mikuru Asahina.

As I've said before, Vol 9 should (and probably will be) be the starting point of a season, given that it starts at the beginning of a new school year. And as for movie quality, I think that Intrigues would make a fine movie, it would start slow and feel somewhat longer than disappearance but the big action scene towards the end would make it all worth it.
Old 2010-12-22, 03:16   Link #1826
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
As I've said before, Vol 9 should (and probably will be) be the starting point of a season, given that it starts at the beginning of a new school year.
I don't like the idea at all, but at this point Vol. 10 might well be the final book.

Quote:
And as for movie quality, I think that Intrigues would make a fine movie, it would start slow and feel somewhat longer than disappearance but the big action scene towards the end would make it all worth it.
The big action scene, unlike Disappearance's final scenes, is NOT worth sitting through two hours of slice-of-life. Not for a movie. It's just not.
Old 2010-12-22, 04:11   Link #1827
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
As I've said before, Vol 9 should (and probably will be) be the starting point of a season, given that it starts at the beginning of a new school year.
While I see your point about the new school year, I think vol. 8 would be much better to kick off a new season. Imagine this: The third season just ended on the finale of Intrigues, and the next starts out with Haruhi shouting "REJECTED!" What's not to like?

Last edited by Joe4evr; 2010-12-22 at 17:36.
Old 2010-12-22, 04:15   Link #1828
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
I don't like the idea at all, but at this point Vol. 10 might well be the final book.

The big action scene, unlike Disappearance's final scenes, is NOT worth sitting through two hours of slice-of-life. Not for a movie. It's just not.
I'm generally against the idea that 10th book would be the last, for a number of reasons. One is that I generally get the feeling from the books that Tanigawa started liking writing the series more as it went on, which I know seems contrary to a lot of the opinion here. (Though I do agree that Tanigawa didn't expect the series to be the hit it ended up being at first)

I'll agree that Intrigues probably won't be seen as being quite as good as Disappearance, the tone in Intrigues is very different and admittedly not quite as good for a movie, though I would disagree with your dismissal about the movie being boring because it's mostly slice-of-life, a lot happens in those first two hours before the action scene.
Old 2010-12-22, 04:20   Link #1829
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Anyway, KyoAni has too much burden on her hands. =P

1. Nichijou
2. (Possible) Full Metal Panic sequel
3. (Possible ~maybe~) Lucky Star Season 2 (onegai shimasu!)
4. Haruhi Season 3

damn.
I really wish for 3 and 4. I don't know about 1 and 2. =P
Old 2010-12-22, 06:15   Link #1830
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post

1. Nichijou
4. Haruhi Season 3

damn.
actually i more thinking after Nichijou the doing little buster
Old 2010-12-22, 10:28   Link #1831
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post

1. Nichijou
4. Haruhi Season 3

damn.
You forgot the confirmed K-On movie. And if the Haruhi film is any indication, KyoAni is going to exhaust themselves again making it.
Old 2010-12-22, 10:49   Link #1832
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Intrigues as a movie would be the equivalent of the second season to Disappearance's first. The audience's reaction would probably be, "Yeah, and? ...Oh, that's it, isn't it. Yep, that's all there is. Well, at least it looked sharp."

There's some suspense, sure, but it's FAR milder than in Disappearance. There's (arguably) some character development, but it's more along the lines of "This person's faction is more involved than you suspected," instead of "Holy balls you guys the two characters you thought you knew are actually completely torn by internal conflict and are both literally involved in changing the world as you know it." There's some action, but instead of, "OH GEEZ WHY IS THERE A KNIFE POINT COMING OUT OF MY STOMACH" it's Mikuru going, "baww save me."

Intrigues, in my mind, is the equivalent of the Sigh arc. Does it have some necessary plot elements? Sure, why not. Are there a couple of high points? Yeah, I'll give them that much. Would it be decidedly underwhelming as a movie? You'd better believe it.
Old 2010-12-22, 11:59   Link #1833
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
it's Mikuru going, "baww save me."
Doesn't she do that all the time though?
Old 2010-12-22, 13:20   Link #1834
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
Doesn't she do that all the time though?
Exactly my point!
Old 2010-12-23, 03:23   Link #1835
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
There's some suspense, sure, but it's FAR milder than in Disappearance. There's (arguably) some character development, but it's more along the lines of "This person's faction is more involved than you suspected," instead of "Holy balls you guys the two characters you thought you knew are actually completely torn by internal conflict and are both literally involved in changing the world as you know it." There's some action, but instead of, "OH GEEZ WHY IS THERE A KNIFE POINT COMING OUT OF MY STOMACH" it's Mikuru going, "baww save me."
The thing is, is that while Mikuru baww's, you're having an awesome ass car chase that ends with one of the (in my mind) most awesome scene's in the entire series (I've said what this scene is before, so I don't repeat myseld).

And I generally agree that the movie would somewhat like the second season(assuming they cut out the prologue into a separate OVA): starting off with a bang, the middle being a long drag that relies heavily on fanservice to keep the audience interested, with a strong ending that manages to make up for (though not completely) for the somewhat boring middle part.
Old 2010-12-23, 03:51   Link #1836
Clarste
Human

Not sure how a car chase is supposed to compare with reality warping and the near-death of the main perspective character. Dramatically it's weaker and action-wise it's also weaker. While it does eventually set up the grounds for future arcs, I find Intrigues to be the least memorable and interesting of the main story segments. While it could be a decent series, I don't think it really deserves a movie.
Old 2010-12-23, 06:11   Link #1837
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Not sure how a car chase is supposed to compare with reality warping and the near-death of the main perspective character.
Basically this. An Intrigues movie would be a disappointment.
Old 2010-12-24, 10:33   Link #1838
bayoab

DVD
*4 --- 19,667 *,*19,667 **1 涼宮ハルヒの消失 限定版
92 --- *1,283 *,**1,283 **1 涼宮ハルヒの消失 通常版
BD
*1 -- 77,056 *77,056 *1 涼宮ハルヒの消失 限定版
15 -- *2,030 **2,030 *1 涼宮ハルヒの消失 通常版
Total: 100,036
Old 2010-12-24, 11:57   Link #1839
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Totally agree.

I don't think that an author takes this long to put out the 10th volume of a long-running light novel series unless he's ran into a rather nasty writer's block.

While wrapping everything up in Volume 10 would likely make it feel very rushed and possibly dissatisfying, it might well be that Tanigawa is just running out of ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
DVD
*4 --- 19,667 *,*19,667 **1 涼宮ハルヒの消失 限定版
92 --- *1,283 *,**1,283 **1 涼宮ハルヒの消失 通常版
BD
*1 -- 77,056 *77,056 *1 涼宮ハルヒの消失 限定版
15 -- *2,030 **2,030 *1 涼宮ハルヒの消失 通常版
Total: 100,036
Awesome sales. Good to see Disappearance sell so well on BluRay.
Old 2010-12-24, 12:56   Link #1840
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

What's interesting is that the Blu-Ray far outsells the DVD. Which I believe is not usually the trend.
Closed Thread

Tags
science fiction, shounen