AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-04-29, 16:41   Link #1
Daniel-san
He went that way

Any info on Japanese sim games?

I'm looking for any type of Japanese simulation games, free or not. My only problem is I don't speak a word of Japanese. Any help on finding translated sim games would be great. Thanks.
Daniel-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-02, 23:09   Link #2
husyk
Stupid Flanders! (Homer)

Send a message via MSN to husyk Send a message via Yahoo to husyk
Don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but you may want to check this article here.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/509/509534p1.html
husyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-03, 18:01   Link #3
Daniel-san
He went that way

Looks interesting Husyk. But I was looking for more Japanese style sim games, like anything anime, dating sims, train sims, etc.

Thanks for the post though. I will definately have to check out that game.
Old 2004-05-03, 19:04   Link #4
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

Well...what consitutes a sim game to you?

Do Taiko no Tatsujin and Donkey Konga count? They "simulate" playing the drums.

Or are you just looking for dating sims, or like Densha de Go! and Golden Post Blah?

Gimme specifics and I can hook you up.

Go to the-magicbox.com for screenshots and release info, netjak.com for reviews of the games whenever their import guy gets to 'em.
OhJustSomeRandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-03, 19:37   Link #5
Tsu
Burorororou

Send a message via MSN to Tsu
The situation of dating sims in the English-speaking world is kind of sad, really. I've only heard about one non-hentai renai game getting translated into English, which is Graduation, published by Mixx.
Sega announced (quite) a while ago that they were planning on bringing the Sakura Taisen series to the States, which has, as I've been told, dating sim elements in it.
Romhacking group J2E was translating the SNES version of Tokimeki Memorial, but they seemed to have mysteriously dissapeared from the surface of the Earth about two years ago...
There are currently people (unofficially) translating Kanon and Wind. Those aren't really dating-sims, though; more visual novels, but...

And then there's.... Princess Maker 2. A 'raising sim' rather than a dating sim, it was originally gonna be released in the US, but the project was scrapped before that could happen. There's a fully translated beta-version floating around the net, though. It does kind of play like a dating sim, only with a little less story and a little more money management.
Tsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-03, 23:13   Link #6
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
We do know where to get those games BUT this site
has rules and policies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel-san
Looks interesting Husyk. But I was looking for more Japanese style sim games, like anything anime, dating sims, train sims, etc.

Thanks for the post though. I will definately have to check out that game.
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 01:04   Link #7
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsu
The situation of dating sims in the English-speaking world is kind of sad, really. I've only heard about one non-hentai renai game getting translated into English, which is Graduation, published by Mixx.
I wouldn't call Graduation a ren'ai game, since it isn't romance focused. You're a teacher who has to tutor 5 female students to get the best education before college. You CAN end up marrying one of them if you do things "right", but it's considered a bad ending, I believe. There's really not any romance at all in the game. Well, you can take a girl out to dinner to increase her energy before a new school week, but doing it too often with the same girl might cause you to end up marrying her. It's pretty difficult, balancing the needs of 5 rather different girls.

The dub job on the game is horrible, believe me. As there's no spoken text from the girls, you can't just turn it off either. Well, you CAN, but you'll have to just interpret their facial expressions to know whether you're doing ok or not.

Last I saw, Rightstuf sold Graduation for $8, which is far less than the actual shipping will cost you, especially if you live in Europe, like me.

As for other translated non-ero ren'ai games, you have Amusement Park and Day of Love. Both are DVDPG, meaning you play them on any DVD player, you don't install them on a PC. Both were also ero when they originally came out, but the translated versions have the adult scenes removed.

If we move into the realm of fan translations, you can find a partially completed translation to Kanon. There is a patch both for the adult version of Kanon and the all-age version.

There is a PS1 bishoujo game called Bloody Bride, which has been fan translated. This game is also non-adult. In the game, you control the young vampire prince Phaid, who has to live in the human world for 3 years in search of a girl who has the "platinum aura", which vampires need to reach "adulthood". In order to mature, Phaid has to such the blood of a girl with this aura. There is only one problem: It has to be given willingly by the girl, otherwise it won't work. Basically, Phaid has to make the girl fall in love with him, then take her back to his world (called "Devildom" in the translation), where he will then marry her.

The game is pretty interesting, and sports a somewhat primitive RPG system with character stats both for combat and normal life. Each stat varies from 0-999, and each girl has her preferred ranges for different stats (like min 250 max 500), and this governs how "compatible" you are.

It takes pretty long to play through the game from beginning to end, I'd say at the very least 10-15 hours straight for each girl (5 girls total). This is partly because of a somewhat strange system:

Usually you will call a girl and arrange a date for either the weekend or a holliday. Now, if you haven't fought a battle and gained at least 1 point of experience since the last time you dated someone, she will refuse. Or rather, all the girls will be eternally "busy" no matter when you try to set the date, unless you have been in at least 1 battle. I suspect this is to make sure you gain enough strength to win the few boss battles you must fight as part of the story.

There are two ways to gain levels: Either through combat, or through "skirt-chasing blood sucking" (yes, the translation is a bit awkward every now and then). Basically, you can wander around town trying to find a girl to feed on. If you succeed, you'll get a lot of experience points and some of your stats grow a little. And don't worry, when you suck some blood from a girl, she is left with "a beautiful memory" of you. Another girl in the game describes it as the most "wonderful earthly sensation" or something like that. It doesn't kill them or anything, it just leaves them a little bit weak from the blood loss.

There are actually two patches for the game. One is for the text, and another contains English subtitled versions of the many movie cutscenes in the game. The text patch is small and not that hard to find, but the movie patch is a 170MB download which is somewhat harder to come by.

I found the game to be highly entertaining, but I'm a sucker (no pun intended, I swear >_<) for games like these, and people interested in bishoujo games might want to consider taking a look at it.

Last edited by AG3; 2004-05-05 at 21:20. Reason: Weird choice of words...
AG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 12:58   Link #8
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsu
Romhacking group J2E was translating the SNES version of Tokimeki Memorial, but they seemed to have mysteriously dissapeared from the surface of the Earth about two years ago...
http://home.earthlink.net/~fagin/sdfo/translate.htm
That page may lead to some clues to Necrosaro's J2E Tokimemo project. I believe he eventually gave up on the project after a short burst of activity a little while after J2E died. His scripts are probably floating around the Internet somewhere... Basically J2E died because a lot of its members (anusp, Stovetop) had real life to deal with and couldn't keep working on it. This was also during the time when there was a severe lack of translators willing to translate games.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 20:29   Link #9
Daniel-san
He went that way

Thanks for all your help everyone. Now I'm sure to be able to find some fun and entertaining games to play this summer break. Thanks again. Oh, if anyone else has any suggestions, the more the better. Keep 'em coming.
Old 2004-05-20, 09:13   Link #10
Kageru

Red face Oh boy oh boy

Looks like ya guyz dont know much 'bout japanese games, ey? Ok, I'll help ya out:

Sakura Taisen Series: One of the most popular Simulation series in Japan. Part one was released 1997 on the Sega Saturn, Part 2 in year 1998 on the same system, and the part 3-4 one the BEST CONSOLE EVER- the Dreamcast (3- 2001, 4- 2002). Sega even released games based on the Sakura Taisen Universe/Story like Hanagumi Taisen Columns (Kinda Mah Jongg Game, which is an' ol' traditional game in Asia), Sakura Taisen Online. Newer parts will be released on the PS 2.
Kayama wrote translation to all Sakura Taisen were have been released on the Dreamcast: Sakura Taisen 1-4. Ya cand find them at http://lando.npghouse.com/sakura/ . I've also wrote a translation/guide/faq/walktrough to part 4 (for our german users, I'm a Member of the segaforever.de Team. I write articles about Japanese DC Games).

If ya own a Dreamcast Daniel-kun, ya can buy tons of damned good simulation like Sega Bass Fsihing, Samba de Amigo (Shake your Chakos (I mean these wood thing with sand in it)!!), Dancing Games, and of course- Dating/Love Simulations. New Luv Games are: Snow, Moekka, Shirotsumekusa, Tama Cue, After..., (Check out www.lik-sang.com). Cafe Little Wish, Princess Maker Collection (I wrote a preview about that), Pandora no Yume, Miss Moonlight are good games, too.
Well, all I can say is: buy a DC and ya can play tons of simlations, especially the most popular and best dating games aviable. (And don't forget the kewl Vertikal/Horizontal Shooter like Ikaruga, Border Down, Psyvariar 2, Castle of Shikigami 2)

Well, if ya really need a translation, buy a DC and A Sakura Taisen part and visit Kayama's website. You won't be dissapointed.

-]KAGERU[-

PS: Princess Maker- It's a game from Gainax, part one was released in year 1991/92 on the Super Famicon (also know as 'Super Nintendo' in Europe). In this game ya can control the complete life of a young girl, from child to woman (ya can even choose her name, height, bloodtype, etc.). If ya want her to be a whore, so she'll do that. If ya want her to be a princess, so she'll do anything to become one. It's all up to ya: good or bad girl, princess or scum.
PS2: If ya still have questions, Email me. Do not send me private messages cuz I only have the time to visit this site once in a while.
Kageru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 09:16   Link #11
Kageru

Red face

Uh?? What's that?? Kayama site dissapeared! I can't visit the site anymore (error message). Weird.

-]KAGERU[-
Kageru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 09:22   Link #12
Soulfang
Inactive Member

Revolve is currently translating Tsukihime and Vagrants.
Soulfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 23:31   Link #13
Daniel-san
He went that way

Thanks for the input there Kageru. I'm definately buying a D.C. now. Thanks again to everyone for all your great advice. I know where I'm coming for questions about games from now on.
Old 2004-05-21, 09:17   Link #14
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Quote:
Sakura Taisen Series: One of the most popular Simulation series in Japan. Part one was released 1997 on the Sega Saturn, Part 2 in year 1998 on the same system, and the part 3-4 one the BEST CONSOLE EVER- the Dreamcast (3- 2001, 4- 2002). Sega even released games based on the Sakura Taisen Universe/Story like Hanagumi Taisen Columns (Kinda Mah Jongg Game, which is an' ol' traditional game in Asia), Sakura Taisen Online. Newer parts will be released on the PS 2.
Kayama wrote translation to all Sakura Taisen were have been released on the Dreamcast: Sakura Taisen 1-4. Ya cand find them at http://lando.npghouse.com/sakura/ . I've also wrote a translation/guide/faq/walktrough to part 4 (for our german users, I'm a Member of the segaforever.de Team. I write articles about Japanese DC Games).
http://lando.ngphouse.com/sakura/

Indeed, Sakura Taisen is awesome. I had the chance to grab a DC and all 4 of the games when I was in Japan most of 2003, as well as the PS2 releases and some of the Saturn data discs (and at least 20 song albums and 5 drama CDs ^^;;;)

About a year ago february/march they (Sega and Red Company) re-released Sakura Taisen 1 as "Sakura Taisen: Atsuki Chishio Ni" which ported the original story to the ARMS system for battles and brought in pretty much every LIPS enhancement ever. It was released for the PS2 and was rumored to be in planning for a US release but that has yet to materialize. I doubt it ever will.

Kayama's translations for ST1 do not work for Atsuki Chishio ni due to changes in the story (mainly due to additions.) However, his ST2-ST3 translations are fine since none of those have been ported to DC (and don't seem likely.) I haven't played ST1 on the Dreamcast and I haven't played through ST2 even twice, but I have finished ST3 twice over so far as well as Atsuki Chishio ni twice, partly because the ARMS system makes the battles much more enjoyable and the increased points opportunities with the characters in the game. ST1 and ST2 had very few points in adventure mode, most were earned in battle using Ohgami's "cover" on a specific girl.

Oh yeah, that's also a pretty significant difference between ST and other "dating" sims, namely that the character you play has a name, a history, a face and a voice, unlike Tokimeki Memorial where you chose the character's name. Other characters refer to him by name and you get to see his reactions to things as the game progresses (ST keeps Ohgami's picture in the lower left corner of the screen.)

Sega has released a totally 2D adventure game for the Paris crew, Sakura Taisen Monogatari: Mysterious Paris. I finished it recently (it's not long, moving as fast as possible it's possible to finish in 6 hours!) and it's a fascinating addition to the Sakura Taisen series.

Also, Sakura Taisen has had several anime releases which are out in the states as Sakura Wars (which is fairly official since it's a legit translation used by RED on the games themselves,) with the first 2 OAVs and the TV series from ADV, the movie from Geneon, and FUNimation has the Ecole de Paris OAVs featuring the Paris crew, as well as the す・み・れ OAV which I don't wanna watch cause I know it's gonna be sad.

So yeah, I say grab a DC, maybe get a PS2 modded, and hit NCSX.COM and pick up Sakura Taisen.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 17:17   Link #15
Jimbo1023
1023 inc. CEO

I'm surprised no one brought up the Harvest Moon series.
Jimbo1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 18:34   Link #16
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Err... train sim or dating sim? they are two quite different, if not totally unrelated genre...

Was Memories Off series translated? I'm not so sure...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-11, 01:32   Link #17
Kaka
罪人クロノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo1023
I'm surprised no one brought up the Harvest Moon series.
I like the name of the jpn ver. more, "Bokujou monogatari would be the jpn one"
and I love this game ^_^
Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-11, 05:16   Link #18
kinniku_man
masked man

http://www.oaks-soft.co.jp/princess-...in/seihin.html

novel games
kinniku_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-14, 05:45   Link #19
kinniku_man
masked man