AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-19, 15:49   Link #41
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

I was recced to check this one out, and not being shy of trying out, I did. I expected spaceship stuff as I hadn't seen anything of it. What I got was almost more awesome. Being someone that really likes stuff with naval stuff in it (battleships, sailing) I got it, with a twist.

As for the art, eh. Good story and good characters is what I care about. So far it went topnotch for me there. I even find myself liking the art and design, even though I'm not used to it (especially the female captain. Om nom nom badass). It's something about old school scifi that just gets me.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 15:59   Link #42
pinoscotto

art is not a problem, but animation is and here the animation sucks
pinoscotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 21:05   Link #43
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
<snip> Plus those character designs are an eyesore...
I'm just happy that the MC is not short and was drawn like the Galaxy Railways MC meaning that he'll become a tall handsome man when he grows up. Seeing a blue haired Maetel was also great.
Old 2012-03-20, 17:38   Link #44
Stevie_Nix
Longtime Lurker

Watched episode 01 and honestly the story hasn't really caught me yet, but Bynas is awesome so I might just stick with it. Hey if nothing else, gives me something to watch while waiting for Bodacious Space Pirates to come on.
Old 2012-03-21, 12:47   Link #45
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoscotto View Post
art is not a problem, but animation is and here the animation sucks
Yhep, that was one of 3 major flaws I got right out of the first episode. Animation is one of the worse I've seen lately and it makes the show look like it's being made on a shoestring budget. Maybe it's exactly that but in this day and age it's jarring to say the least.

As for character designs I actually love them. The moment I saw the masked bad guy I chuckled thinking how old school it is and then I saw the childhood friend Mimei and I just couldn't help by say out loud: "I love these designs!" (note: sign me up tentatively for her fan club)

The second major flaw I saw was the pacing: after finishing the first episode it felt like suddenly someone cut the ending of the first episode out and replaced it with the end of the second or third episode. I am however scratching that one out to lack of time allotted to the show.

The third major flaw is: rice fields? Seriously? It's a world with a severe water shortage (as mentioned on the prologue: oceans have dried up) and you choose to plant a crop that requires large amounts of water? I know the author probably never even considered this and just went with what's usual in Japan but it broke my suspension of disbelief for a bit.

Overall and while I have a few not so minor quibbles with the show it's still a net positive in the end even if it's just due to the breath of fresh air the show brings to the table. Who would have thought that we would be here in 2012 watching a show that could have easily been made back in the 80s? Mind = blown.

PS: also, the spice must flow!
Old 2012-03-21, 15:40   Link #46
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
The third major flaw is: rice fields? Seriously? It's a world with a severe water shortage (as mentioned on the prologue: oceans have dried up) and you choose to plant a crop that requires large amounts of water? I know the author probably never even considered this and just went with what's usual in Japan but it broke my suspension of disbelief for a bit.
Wasn't a major flaw for me but it was a bit jarring, I was expecting millet or something similar, not rice growing in the desert.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 15:47   Link #47
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Judging by their eating arrangements, it didn't seem like food, or even water was all that much of a issue.

But then there are a lot of Matsumoto setting that take place in far off wasteland like worlds with a Western like town. There doesn't seem to be that much of an obvious shortage there either....save for maybe the booze is reguarded as an almost higher priority than the humans living there. (Never blow up the booze storehouse on one of these outer fringe worlds. Even by accident. Because even if you are Harlock's best friend, he will let the locals lynch you for that.)
Old 2012-03-21, 15:53   Link #48
TheChillburger
Putter of Guns On

Send a message via AIM to TheChillburger
It seems to be kind of cliched as of the first episode, but I really like the old school character designs, and Matsumoto's ships are always fun to look at. The characters seem a little simplistic but it looks like it could develop into a fun adventure.
TheChillburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 17:59   Link #49
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I hadn't realized this show would start so soon

There's not much I have to say about the first episode. It neither impressed me nor disappointed me. The animation was crappy but Matsumoto Leiji's design made for it. The plot is pretty much a completely mystery. We have no idea what the stakes are. We weren't told much about the characters either, other than their names. So basically, I'm just waiting to see more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I was highly bothered by that. The prologue made it sound like the climate was as extreme as on Arrakis, then we see rice fields... the fuck?

I later figured out the reason they planted rice when I saw the nurse: they're all a bunch of drunkards who believe Sake is more important than water.
Old 2012-03-24, 20:01   Link #50
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for ep 2:
Old 2012-03-24, 23:01   Link #51
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Spoiler for episode 2:
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 23:56   Link #52
Makaijin

I'm guessing the older looking Sam in the photo the captain stares at is Sam's brother. Sam does mention about his brother quoting that "if a man sees someone weak, he should help them."

I also downloaded episode 2 from another fansub group using the Japanese broadcast version. One major difference is that the OP song "Neverland" from Crunchyroll version is sung with english lyrics whereas the Japanese broadcast version is sung in Japanese.
Makaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 00:26   Link #53
Nerroth
NePoi!

The first episode wasn't too bad to get things started, but this ep really sold the series for me. Shame there won't be all that much more of a series to sell, but you can't have everything.

(It makes a good double-header with Mouretsu Pirates on CR, I have to add.)
Old 2012-03-25, 04:58   Link #54
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Episode 2.

The first half was a bit of a bore for me. It does me no good watching random fighting when I can't fully get behind the plot/characters and understand what the fight really means for it/them.

The second half was better. That game of chicken was pretty interesting after all, even if the result was obvious. But still not a lot of development.

I guess it decided to spend the first two episodes setting up the premise. So hopefully the next episode will start delivering.

The art is still an eyesore for me. The only character designs that aren't a pain are Maya and the captain.

Also, judging from the photo the captain was looking at, I'm guessing the masked guy will turn out to be Sam's father/brother, though it's just a theory.

Last edited by Haak; 2012-03-25 at 07:01.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 10:14   Link #55
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
The first episode wasn't too bad to get things started, but this ep really sold the series for me. Shame there won't be all that much more of a series to sell, but you can't have everything.
If you remove the OP and ED, you're left with about two hours worth of material, which makes me wonder if Matsumoto originally conceived the story as a movie.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 11:24   Link #56
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That game of chicken was great, but I question whether it was necessary to spend an entire episode (out of six) on it. No need to worry just yet, but I hope the next episode will have a bit more content.

Quote:
Also, judging from the photo the captain was looking at, I'm guessing the masked guy will turn out to be Sam's father/brother, though it's just a theory.
The same thought crossed my mind. It would be a very cliché twist so I hope it's just a red herring.

And I'm calling it now: Maya = Lala-ru. As in, she can summon up and manipulate water.
Old 2012-03-25, 11:38   Link #57
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That game of chicken was great, but I question whether it was necessary to spend an entire episode (out of six) on it. No need to worry just yet, but I hope the next episode will have a bit more content.
I think we already saw the price paid for what is arguably an excellent episode this week: the first episode was clearly condensed to fit everything it wanted to tell. It's actually a shame because they could have easily cut this weeks episode a bit and leave the cliffhanger at the bit when the "bad guys" show up. That would have given them a bit more room to introduce us to the characters.

I'm not complaining much though since I found the second episode spot on with it's pacing.

Quote:
Quote:
The same thought crossed my mind. It would be a very cliché twist so I hope it's just a red herring.
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what's going to happen here. Remember that this was written quite some time ago and the masked bad guy is a dead give-away to his future relevance. He's also shown quite a bit of reluctance on his inner monologues that leads me to believe that he's a good guy at heart that is doing what he must for what he believes to be right. Cliché? Very much so but do take note that clichés are clichés for a reason: they work and when executed properly are beneficial to a story instead of detrimental.
Old 2012-03-25, 11:40   Link #58
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
And I'm calling it now: Maya = Lala-ru. As in, she can summon up and manipulate water.
Oh good call. I didn't think of that one.

Though if it's true then it's kinda gonna backfire for me because then I'd keep constantly comparing it to Now and Then, Here and There. And I doubt Ozuma could win there...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 11:56   Link #59
Dop
Mmmm....

So this week was more like "Das Boot - The Anime", with an exemplarly display of submarine warfare - except in sand. Right down to the gauge cracking when it hits the maximum point.

The character designs are what they are, and it wouldn't be a Matsumoto show without them, I personally think it's nice to see something different, and I also love the technobabble and 'matsumoto meters' everywhere.

I'm looking forward to the next episode.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 12:27   Link #60
Blaat

Last week the show reminded me of Dune, this week it's Das Boot.
Quote:
Theory? I think you're stating the obvious here.