AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2010-04-26, 17:04   Link #1001
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

The photo-realistic cover still looks strange (like the tail is all PS effects, but that could just be the size) but I don't care since I get the illustration covers that I adore (interesting to note, publishers in the US try to avoid illustration covers in general since they "don't sell as well" but I have no idea if that's an outdated idea or not now).
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 17:09   Link #1002
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Well, the book is now going to be supplied with the dust jacket on, which will show the americanised cover, so it may circumvent that issue largely
For anyone too lazy too look at the link, here are the covers quickly thrown side by side with the miracles of paint

Reading: None at the moment

Last edited by tyranuus; 2010-04-26 at 17:24.
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 18:52   Link #1003
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

"Westernized" tail doesn't look as soft or nice as the original!!! I know which one I'd pick! I must say though that I do like her proportions on the "Westernized" version... very nice in that department! But, hair and tail colo(u)ration seem to have missed the boat!

However, I must say this is a better compromise than their first "effort". It does seem to capture the spirirt of the original and doesn't feel quite as weird as the cover for Volume 1, but IMO... it does come off a bit cheesy... I just can't put my finger on it. Is anyone else getting the same vibe? Help me out here... what is giving me that feeling?

Overall though, Mr. Big is pleased!

Sorry for slinging around punctuation like hand grenades, but when I'm feeling it, I'm feeling it.

Last edited by Rajura; 2010-04-26 at 19:39. Reason: More content and a couple of typos
Rajura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 20:51   Link #1004
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I feel the cheese, it kinda looks like the poster for a sub-effort live action movie where they didn't have quite the budget for special effects. And I'm rather bemused at how closely the photorealistic cover matches the original, maybe that's part of the cheese as well.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 05:17   Link #1005
Rajura

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
I feel the cheese, it kinda looks like the poster for a sub-effort live action movie where they didn't have quite the budget for special effects. And I'm rather bemused at how closely the photorealistic cover matches the original, maybe that's part of the cheese as well.
As soon as I shut my computer down (i.e. it crashed) I came to that conclusion... the similarity being a large part of it that is.

And... I'm sorry, but the tail just ain't right... it just doesn't look as good (too much vague fluff and not enough substance), but I know I'm being a bit critical... I just want excellence when it comes to something I like!
Old 2010-04-27, 05:30   Link #1006
SakuraAyanami
Skies Of Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajura View Post
.. it does come off a bit cheesy... I just can't put my finger on it. Is anyone else getting the same vibe? Help me out here... what is giving me that feeling?
Maybe is the fact that not only the tail looks shoped but that its to smooth. Even though she is suppose to be running there is no movement of her tail fur and the position is un-natural. Also there is the issue of the white background that makes her look like they took a picture, cut her out and stick it to a white paper.

I have to admit that this cover is a lot better than the first one, but there is still a lot of room for improvement, like, I don't know, maybe at least putting where is the sky and the ground?
SakuraAyanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 06:53   Link #1007
darkburst

I don't really care what the new cover looks like, although I'm happy that it's way better than the first volume cover. Thank God YP went the route they did!
darkburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 09:09   Link #1008
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I like the *idea* of the western cover.... the hair is nice... but yeah they totally dorked the tail. The hair texture is all wrong and no animal would run with its tail like that (obviously curved to follow the cape and stay within frame of the book cover).

Sigh... I wonder if their sales are supporting this 'romance realism' cover experiment.
Old 2010-04-27, 12:26   Link #1009
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

I think part of it is they've also misjudged what the original picture was doing; judging by the original artwork she was running but spinning around or turning to face you (or at least glancing back causing her body to turn slightly), whereas the new artwork has her just running away, but kept the cape and tale effect from the spin, which isn't present in this version.
If they're trying to imitate the original novels but in an american style, they would have been better having her half turning, with the face covered by hair/silloutted out, with just a red/brown eye gleaming through (which could justifiably be photoshopped, it doesnt even have to be clear), and that way the cape, and tale wouldnt have seemed so out of place.
Reading: None at the moment

Last edited by tyranuus; 2010-04-28 at 05:21.
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 19:32   Link #1010
Rajura

Good points made by all of you! And to reiterate... cover despite its fals is waaaaaaaaaaay better than the fist "Westernized" version.

Please everyone stop using "Americanized"... I don't wanna be guilty by association on this job so far hahahahaha.
Old 2010-04-29, 21:23   Link #1011
Silent Wanderer

What is with the tail? Otherwise, it is much better than the first cover.
Silent Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-08, 17:19   Link #1012
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Certainly better, but yeah the tail just fails.
Old 2010-05-08, 20:53   Link #1013
Arashi500
Cthulhu Fhtagn!

That tail... I can't even comprehend how they thought that a good idea.
Old 2010-05-09, 00:45   Link #1014
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its a shame.. the rest of the pic is actually pretty good in terms of shading, hair colors, etc. I do note that the longer I stare at it... the more like a 19-22ish yr old the model looks rather than a "15-18"yr old but we see "magical modern aging" that happen all the time in medieval flicks (e.g. most versions of Romeo and Juliet do not show them as 14ish). Most pre-1900s historical figures were much younger during their moment in the spotlight than modern people think they were.
Old 2010-05-12, 02:33   Link #1015
SakuraAyanami
Skies Of Dawn

^ Well, that's because in the 1900 most people didn't live past 40 and when the teens reached puberty at 15-16 they became adults. To say that a 19 year old girl wasn't married it was to imply that she was an old maid.
SakuraAyanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-12, 05:24   Link #1016
Rajura

Well maybe so, but I think we can all agree the major flaw with the cover is that vague "fluff" that is supposed to be her tail. I have already complained about the cover some (and praised it some... in comparison to the first cover's re-imagining).

As long as Holo looks like Holo, I'm fine. I have seen some art that makes her look like she was beaten with an ugly stick... that should never happen. I might have to go beat the stew out of some folks for what they did to her if I ever find them.
Old 2010-05-12, 12:18   Link #1017
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraAyanami View Post
^ Well, that's because in the 1900 most people didn't live past 40 and when the teens reached puberty at 15-16 they became adults. To say that a 19 year old girl wasn't married it was to imply that she was an old maid.
Yes, and teens still reach biological adulthood at 14-16... we've just created imaginary sociological legalities to pretend otherwise

The only reason people died earlier ("40" is a statistical average of the time) is that disease or sickness took them ... those that got past such trials lived 70, 80, 90 years as we do now. The only difference is we have more tools to treat problems and access to better nutrition. Biologically, we're the same humans we've been since the Agricultural Age started about 10,000 years ago.
Old 2010-05-14, 23:03   Link #1018
Arashi500
Cthulhu Fhtagn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Yes, and teens still reach biological adulthood at 14-16... we've just created imaginary sociological legalities to pretend otherwise

The only reason people died earlier ("40" is a statistical average of the time) is that disease or sickness took them ... those that got past such trials lived 70, 80, 90 years as we do now. The only difference is we have more tools to treat problems and access to better nutrition. Biologically, we're the same humans we've been since the Agricultural Age started about 10,000 years ago.
The longer people live the longer they have to wait to legaly have sex. However this doesn't change when they want to have sex. Logic dictates that people are growing ever stupider. We are all doomed.

Still can't stand looking at the tail...
Old 2010-05-15, 01:16   Link #1019
Silent Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Most people that age are not emotionally mature enough to be "adults". And even though people may have been considered adults back then at that age, they still understood they usually aren't that mature.
Silent Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 07:54   Link #1020
BashZeStampeedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Wanderer View Post
Most people that age are not emotionally mature enough to be "adults". And even though people may have been considered adults back then at that age, they still understood they usually aren't that mature.
Most people at age 18 or 20 aren't emotionally mature enough to be "adults" either. But half-sarcasm aside, it wasn't about maturity but procreational capability and supporting your family through dowry, reputation, gaining ties to a powerful lineage, or other such things (regardless of any unfairness or opportunism involved on the parent's side).

Back when children were expected to work and learn the harshness of life first-hand (often brutally so), they also arguably grew up quicker emotionally. Modern parents have a tendency to think that hiding the unfairness of the world from their children will result in them being better-adjusted and mature more quickly, which is an interesting shift in perspectives.
BashZeStampeedo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novels, seinen, shounen