AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-23, 12:48   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

One Piece - Chapter 548 [Manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.
Old 2009-06-23, 12:50   Link #2
marvelB

Another week, another summary:

-Luffy and co. make it to the Gate of Justice, but it won't open for them. Some more marines attack them, but they are defeated. Jinbei says that Bon Clay is the only one who can get the gate open, but he seems to have some trepidation about the idea.....

-Bon Clay, disguised as Magellan, orders for the gate to be opened. Jinbei's fears are realized as he says that Bon Clay is going to sacrifice himself. He calls the okama on a den den mushi, and Luffy tries to call him back, as well. However, everyone is forced to say their farewells as the gate closes between them. Meanwhile, the REAL Magellan comes up to Bon Clay and asks him what his final words are. Bon smiles, for he has accepted his fate.....

So once again, Bon Clay sacrifices himself for Luffy. It seems he may meet his end for real this time (unless of course, the moment is interrupted by Blackbeard or Shiryuu or something ). Still, I just wonder when exactly he touched Magellan's face? IIRC, his transforming power only works after touching the original person's face. Maybe this means that he willingly stayed behind, and touched Magellan's face at the risk of getting poisoned? Yikes. Well, we just gotta wait for the pics to come out so things will become clearer.....
Old 2009-06-23, 12:57   Link #3
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

The only question here is whether Oda will kill Bon or not. He has already accomplished his mission (at the least he is one reason why the tranny queen decided to escape), and he does not have a seat in Luffy's crew, still, I think for a character like him, sacrificing himself many times to save Luffy and others does not deserve an ending of death, not yet. But, if he is going to be killed, I think this ending is a proper one for him.
Old 2009-06-23, 13:06   Link #4
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Another week, another summary:

-Luffy and co. make it to the Gate of Justice, but it won't open for them. Some more marines attack them, but they are defeated. Jinbei says that Bon Clay is the only one who can get the gate open, but he seems to have some trepidation about the idea.....

-Bon Clay, disguised as Magellan, orders for the gate to be opened. Jinbei's fears are realized as he says that Bon Clay is going to sacrifice himself. He calls the okama on a den den mushi, and Luffy tries to call him back, as well. However, everyone is forced to say their farewells as the gate closes between them. Meanwhile, the REAL Magellan comes up to Bon Clay and asks him what his final words are. Bon smiles, for he has accepted his fate.....

So once again, Bon Clay sacrifices himself for Luffy. It seems he may meet his end for real this time (unless of course, the moment is interrupted by Blackbeard or Shiryuu or something ). Still, I just wonder when exactly he touched Magellan's face? IIRC, his transforming power only works after touching the original person's face. Maybe this means that he willingly stayed behind, and touched Magellan's face at the risk of getting poisoned? Yikes. Well, we just gotta wait for the pics to come out so things will become clearer.....
I can't believe that Bon Clay would be left behind again, this time for good. This feels like a sad event. BTW, anything involving Franky in this mini-story chapter?
Old 2009-06-23, 13:12   Link #5
james0246

Well, I would have preffered an actual battle with Magellan, but a significant story arc character potentially dying is a nice runner-up prize...for now.

Here's hoping that Magellan still follows them to Marineford, though. A Magellan v. Luffy battle has been hinted for for 30 some chapters, so it seems a little silly if Magellan's story ends here.
Old 2009-06-23, 13:16   Link #6
SMASHERJACKSON

dam it, was hoping for a megallan vs luffy fight, rly hope we get one soon - glad to see they made it to the gate though, however the fact theyre im assuming inside and still not in contact with ace doesnt bode well for him, though it wouldnt neccasserily even if they wer at this point.
Old 2009-06-23, 13:25   Link #7
Prestige

Mr.2 touched Magellan when he was disguised as Hannybal and Magellan picked him up and scolded him, cant remember exact chapter but it was in mid-point of Impel Down.

Mr.2 giving up for his own freedom to help others is really noble from him and it even isnt a first time, I hope Magellan wont kill him right of the bat so we could hope to see Mr2 in future aswell, he is way too awesome charecter to be perished.

I wonder how Jinbei knew about Mr2 ability, spoilers make it look like it would be plot hole but in Oda we trust so I expect we will see explanation when full chapter comes out.
Old 2009-06-23, 13:27   Link #8
SMASHERJACKSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige View Post
Mr.2 touched Magellan when he was disguised as Hannybal and Magellan picked him up and scolded him, cant remember exact chapter but it was in mid-point of Impel Down.

Mr.2 giving up for his own freedom to help others is really noble from him and it even isnt a first time, I hope Magellan wont kill him right of the bat so we could hope to see Mr2 in future aswell, he is way too awesome charecter to be perished.

I wonder how Jinbei knew about Mr2 ability, spoilers make it look like it would be plot hole but in Oda we trust so I expect we will see explanation when full chapter comes out.
possibly from crocodile or his intelligence sources if he has any
Old 2009-06-23, 13:41   Link #9
Crimson Reaper

IN THE NAME OF FRIENDSHIP MUGI-CHAN!!!!
Bon-chan is a true bro, though I'm a little surprised Oda used the same stunt again with him. But I'm sure we'll see him again soon enough.

Quote:
That would be chapter 535, page 16.

No clue what to expect next week, and that's the way it should be!
Old 2009-06-23, 13:45   Link #10
andy

Man i love Mr. 2 i hope he makes it out okay .
Old 2009-06-23, 14:08   Link #11
marvelB

By the way, I am aware of that scene where Magellan grabbed Bon Clay. Still, you don't see him touching the warden's face.... he's merely waving his arms around in that panel. Maybe he did touch him at that moment, but it would have happened off-screen. But again, things will become much clearer later on when the pics and full summary are out.....

Also, I still doubt that Magellan's done with Luffy yet. I concur with james0246 about the possibility of the poison man following Luffy to Marineford. All he has to do is use Venom Road to hitch a ride on a marine vessel and he'll be on his merry way to the marine HQ......
Old 2009-06-23, 14:12   Link #12
kakakka

Well, taking the prisoners back is his responsibility, so I would think too that Magellan would follow Luffy and co. to Marineford/Marine HQ

And Bon Clay being a sacrifice again. Ow my, he's always being used like this...
Old 2009-06-23, 14:36   Link #13
Rainbowman

Just thought of something, perhaps Magellan only knocks Bon Clay unconscious to take him back to Impel Down. Bon Clay would then be rescued by the New Kama residents remaining there so that Bon Clay can become the new "Queen" in Ivankov's place. < "Just a thought."
Old 2009-06-23, 16:41   Link #14
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

^ ...after hearing his declaration that would take down everyone in ID if necessary, I highly doubt Magellan is in the mood for mercy.
Old 2009-06-23, 16:45   Link #15
Master Mold
Banned

Aaaaaaaaaaawwwwww more weak spoilers.

What is up with Mr 2's? just come out the closet already and say your gay for Luffy.
Old 2009-06-23, 16:49   Link #16
james0246

^Sadly enough for the shounen-ai and yaoi fans, One Piece has a strict Bromance policy only....

Here's hoping that Magellan does kill Bon-chan, and then uses the corpse as a decoration on the ship he uses to follow Luffy to Marineford.
Old 2009-06-23, 16:58   Link #17
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloak_and_dagger View Post
^ ...after hearing his declaration that would take down everyone in ID if necessary, I highly doubt Magellan is in the mood for mercy.
Magellan is quickly becoming the next Smoker, who is a failure, from a mission perspective. But, unlike Smoker, after what happened there, he is bound for a severe punishment, and, currently, he is adding to his mistakes a few more.

It seems he already left Impel Down the way it was. Assuming that he already saw Iva coming back to action after s-he must have suffered serious poison damage, if he forgot Blackbeard and his crew there, then that is a really big mistake, that he cannot explain. Especially if Blackbeard's goal includes freeing all the dangerous ones there, the 6th floor residents, the level of crime increases. Additionally, Magellan also forgot about Shiryuu and Magellan's decision of freeing Shiryuu may cost him even more.

I think at this point, the only good thing that Magellan can hope for is to get beaten in the hands of one of the strong pirates, and left in the ocean for an unknown future.
Old 2009-06-23, 17:05   Link #18
Master Mold
Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^Sadly enough for the shounen-ai and yaoi fans, One Piece has a strict Bromance policy only....
Seems more like gay at 2nd sight or (thought) rather then Bromance.

Mag's, I feel your pain. Oda just don't want you to throw down anytime soon.

So, is this also a timeless chapter like last week, where Luffy and his gang move beyond the reach of time or are there some hours/minutes shaved off the clock until Aces execution?
Old 2009-06-23, 18:30   Link #19
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
Lol, there is no need to even wait for a full chapter, might as well blast it now...

This chapter is going to be very weak. Bon Clay sacrifice? LOL Oda, you don't kill anybody, you trying to force drama down our throats is a waste of time. Like Marvelb said, somebody is going to show up and save him or he'll show up chapters later. Oda has nothing to threaten the fans with, no balls and no on-panel deaths in this series.

Chapter sucks, sucks chapter.
Old 2009-06-23, 20:17   Link #20
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Bon Clay will be fine. He's not going anywhere. If little insignificant characters can survive, there's no way Oda would do away with a character as major as Mr. 2. Nuff said.

If there is to be a time when deaths would be appropriate, it would have to be the upcoming war. Seriously, there had better be some fatalities. Not having even one death would be completely unrealistic and absurd, not to mention it would really take away from the seriousness/severity of said grand event.

I really like the approach Oda is using with this current arc. I initially thought that the Wax Candle Champion power-up would grant Luffy immunity to Magellan's poison, but thankfully it was to no avail due to the awesome Hell's Judgement technique. This gimmick didn't prove to be very effective, and it is now fully reinforced that Luffy (at his current state with no assistance) is inferior to Magellan.

From this point on, Luffy has to incorporate "Haki" into his fighting capabilities, otherwise he'll simply get squashed by the chief warden again. With that being said, the boss of this arc still poses a formidable threat, which is good since it would be very boring if Luffy miraculously beat this seemingly insurmountable foe and tenaciously made his way down to Marineford. This outcome would result in adversely affecting Magellan's image by not making him a big hindrance (something he should be considering his title). Magellan truly lived up to his name of being one half of the force that truly made Impel Down impenetrable.

I guess what I'm trying to convey here is, Luffy doesn't always have to defeat someone to develop, mature, or grow stronger. By getting his priorities straight (his mission to rescue Ace) and not charging into something ignorantly with utter foolishness (his recklessness ceased thanks to some mentoring from his comrades), I feel that Luffy has grown considerably in this arc. I think he now truly understands that the endeavor he is trying to undertake (protecting his friends/family and aspiring to become the pirate king) is not always going to be full of adventure, fun, and games. He has now come to the realization that if he doesn't have the power to make a difference (i.e. not enough strength), he should circumvent the problem all together (i.e. he has evaded Magellan by thinking, concentrating on the task at hand, and maintaining his composure) by avoiding such confrontations that would make him lose the things dear to him.

And this is where I agree with James, who advocates that Luffy can potentially succeed in trying to rescue Ace without confronting any of the big players. They'll all be busy fending off Whitebeard's forces, perhaps the revolutionary army, and maybe even Shanks' crew. In essence, this clash will be the decoy/distraction Luffy uses to infiltrate Marineford and retrieve his brother. Of course, throughout this whole ordeal, Luffy has learned that when his strength is inadequate in the face of adversity, he can't do everything by himself and that it is crucial to collaborate with his comrades to attain his goals. That being said, Luffy has certainly gotten tactically smarter and more rational in his decisions. This is a very important step in his quest to become the pirate king.