Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-19, 10:04   Link #1
Ginsoak

A Japanese Henry Chinaski

Hello to you.

Today I have been scouring the google for something rather particular. I was wondering if there is an anime out there that centers around an alcoholic protagonist? While this doesn't have to be the main plot driver, It would be nice if alcoholism was widely noticeable throughout.

I was thinking of something along the lines of a Bukowski novel in anime form, however due to the unlikelihood of this actually existing, any suggestions would be great.

Preferably a male main character.

Genre is non-specific.

Thank you.
Old 2010-06-19, 11:50   Link #2
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Interesting question. There are lots of alcoholic side characters in anime - Misato from Eva, Margery Daw from Shana, etc. - but I'm having a hard time thinking of an alcoholic lead in the Bukowski sense. There's Bartender, which centers around a bar - but the lead isn't an alcoholic.
Old 2010-06-19, 13:28   Link #3
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Vash from Trigun gets wasted a few episodes but it doesnt revolve about his drinking so...
One of the main characters of Tokyo Godfathers its a homeless alcoholic.
Cant think of anything else im blocked, will edit later if i think of anything else.
Old 2010-06-20, 02:52   Link #4
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Black Lagoon and DtB : Ryuusei no Gemini
But I don't think its fit the context.
Old 2010-06-20, 19:16   Link #5
Ginsoak

Thank you three who have contributed. It is difficult and I have found the same. There are a lot of side character drinkers. Spike from bebop really does fit the bill, if only it was documented a little more fervently. I enjoyed bartender, although I do worry that the nature of the show guided my enjoyment as opposed to the content. However, it also did have something beautiful about the unique approach to storytelling. I never even considered Tokyo Godfathers and as I own it I see a second view a'brewing. I definitely need to watch Black Lagoon and Darker than Black. I have only delved into them briefly but they do seem interesting. If they incorporate some kind of dipsomaniac aspect it further instills in me a feeling of confidence in their worth.

Cheers again and any other additions are more than welcome.

Chin, chin.
Closed Thread