AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-08-29, 23:14   Link #181
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

FUNimation sometimes labels complete series as seasons for some odd and wacky reason.

They did the same thing for both parts of nabari no ou, as well as several others.
Kid Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-28, 23:20   Link #182
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The first four dubbed episodes are available for streaming at Funimation's website:

http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=144

I'll probably never be happy with the casting decisions that are made for dubs, but I'm especially unimpressed with these. Though the leads, Shinichi (Greg Ayres) and Sora (Brina Palencia), aren't that bad, the supporting cast members, who are very central to this show, are unimpressive. In the original, Shunpei is voiced by Kugimiya Rie who is much better at capturing a boy's voice than Cherami Leigh. While there were a few complaints that Kugimiya sounded too female for the role, Leigh really doesn't even come close to impersonating a male. Even if I'd believe a boy in his early teens would sound like that, I'll still wonder if his standoffish reaction toward his pursuer, the dog-girl O-nui, has more to do with his sexual orientation than his devotion to math and physics. I had the same reaction to Sean Michael Teague's voicing of the inventor Shinza, despite both of them being male.

Jonathan Brooks as Ginjiro sounds too weak to me in comparison to Yamadera Kouichi. Gin-san is an important character with a lot of presence and depth that I didn't hear in Brooks voice. As for Chuck Huber as Akai, he just doesn't have the menace that Kawashima Tokuyoshi brought to the role.

I guess I just always find it hard to listen to dubs when it sounds like all the characters are a bunch of twenty-somethings living in LA. In Funi's case, they may be living in Texas, but they still sound so generically American that it clashes with a story so deeply rooted in Japanese history.

All the subtitled episodes have been available for some time now. If you've never watched this series, give it a try. The first episode is a bit rushed because they try to introduce most of the large cast and provide an introduction to the various themes that underpin this show. If you're willing to stick around for a few episodes, you'll find that this is one of the most unusual, funny, and rewarding shows you've seen.

I find it interesting that Funimation's script is a good deal "saltier" than was Tom and Jerry's translation for Shinsen. Was T&J just being restrained in favor of good taste, or has Funi spiced up the translation? Japanese speakers out there, what do you think?

Though the price is right, I'm going to hold out for a while to see if we get a Blu-ray release. I got burned on Ghost Hound, so I'm being more patient now. This whole system of staggered releases where the distributors wait to see how a show does before releasing other versions makes purchasing very difficult. I've got a box of Monster DVDs that may never have any sequels because VIZ may have dropped the show (just tell us one way or another, VIZ!). I'm tired of being jerked around by marketing executives. Put the show out there in one shot now in all its formats.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2010-09-28 at 23:39.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-28, 23:33   Link #183
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

There are very, very few English-language female VAs that can effectively do a boy's voice - Luci Chastain can be OK in the right role (Sashi from Abenobashi, for example). It's one of the great differences between subs and dubs. Mind you, even in Japanese originals sometimes casting a real boy gives needed authenticity - Seirei no Moribito and Summer Wars come to mind. But generally, actresses like KugiRie do a much better job than their American counterparts. In her specific case, I like her work as males better than her usual tsundere persona.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-03, 22:13   Link #184
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Here's some welcome and surprising news. Top 10 US anime DVDs of 2010:

1. Ponyo Blu-ray (Disney)
2. Evangelion 1.11 You Are Not Alone Blu-ray (Funimation)
3. Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood Part 1 Blu-ray
4. Naruto Shippuden Box Set 1 (Viz Media)
5. Gintama Collection 1 (Sentai Filmworks)
6. Oh! Edo Rocket (Funimation)
7. Rental Magica, Part 2 (Nozumi Entertainment) .
8. Hetalia Axis Powers: The Complete First Season (Funimation)
9. Eden of the East: The Complete Series Blu-Ray (Funimation)
10. Soul Eater Part 1 (Funimation)
Old 2011-01-03, 22:39   Link #185
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

From the "Series that will NEVER be licensed" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Oh! Edo Rocket - never; too much about Japanese history and culture; too off-beat
I now forswear any further use of the word "never" in future postings.

I also forswear any further predictions on what will make a successful R1 release!

Any chance you could link to the source, Enzo? I'm having a hard time tracking it down.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2011-01-03 at 22:52.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-03, 23:53   Link #186
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Here it is, Sensei (I saw it on Aintitcool News) but I have to apologize. It's unclear, but this may be the media organizations merit rank rather than a sales rank.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/19078.html

Tags
historical, madhouse