AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-12-07, 01:08   Link #1
ff7799
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ff7799 Send a message via MSN to ff7799
Sleep or Die

I have read a interesting article regarding the effects that lack of sleep cause on a mans body. Very interesting stuff indeed, I think every guy should take note of this, since most of us are struggling or partying through college sleep often becomes a huge issue.

"Skipping sleep can dramatically increase your risk of obesity, heart disease, a weakened immune system--even death. How's that for a wake-up call? "

"Yes, you're a busy guy: Places to go, people to see, pecs to pump. So when there aren't enough hours in the day to fit it all in, you borrow 60-odd minutes from your night. Make that a habit and you may eventually fool yourself into thinking that six hours' sleep is all you need to cruise through life."

Full Article :
http://www.mensfitness.com/health/25
ff7799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 01:25   Link #2
HoboGod
Necromancer

Don't forget all the mental effects of sleep deprivation. People often forget they are living things that need to eat square meals, get plenty of rest, plenty of fresh air, vigorating exercse, and plenty of sunlight. I'm sick and tired of all this bullshit about low carbs and harmful sunlight. People wont develop cancer if they live healthy lives. If they don't have time to live right, then they shouldn't be bitching about getting sick.

EDIT: just read that article... i want to beat the shit out of the author. I hate people that try to appeal to youngsters by acting "cool." They are insulting my inteligence to assume I don't have the attention span to read facts without hip jargon of popular culture.

Last edited by HoboGod; 2004-12-07 at 01:37.
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 01:40   Link #3
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Interesting article, thanks for posting it. Luckly for me I am a man who enjoys sleeping (or rather dreaming I should say). True there are nights when I sleep very little or not at all thanks to the demonic nature of my major, but when I can afford to (and when I'm having an awesome dream) I sleep as much as 10-14 hours. I think the longest I ever stayed up without sleeping was something around 46 hours or so. It was during my final week senior year when I was trying to finish my senior design project and I stayed up nearly two whole days to finish it before it was due. And for about 4-5 days before it was due I only slept 2 hours a night. It was a living hell and I was so glad when it was all over. I went straight home and passed out on my bed and slept for 16 or 17 hours. Ok I'm done babbling like an old man now.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 01:52   Link #4
ramune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
but when I can afford to (and when I'm having an awesome dream) I sleep as much as 10-14 hours.
Having too much sleep is not good either

http://www.healthfinder.gov/news/new...p?docID=518087
ramune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 02:05   Link #5
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Interesting, but not exactly news. Most of these stuff has been known for years. It's just recieving publicity because of a new study that confirms it...
Anyway, everyone wants more sleep, whether or not they know the effects of not having it. If they couldn't find the time before reading the article, they won't be able to find it after. What's the point of it if, as is often the case, a person can't do anything about their lack of sleep. Maybe if it included some tips on how to better manage time to allow for more sleep...
Old 2004-12-07, 02:19   Link #6
Virus
ウイルス

Send a message via AIM to Virus
During school days I usually sleep 6-8 hours. During weekends I can sleep from 10-14 hours.
Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 02:25   Link #7
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramune

Dammit! Well uhhh, I think I average out with my loss-of sleep / oversleep. Does that count?
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 02:28   Link #8
HoboGod
Necromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramune

that only says people who sleep longer have problems sleeping.... nothing about health problems. I also tend to sleep 12-15 hours a day (mostly because i'm lazy) and I feel great.
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 02:33   Link #9
sarcasteak
WAHA~

I've always been told that 7-hour-sleep is optimal (or 8 if you have the time), but for most people that would mean sleeping at 12 consistently...not that easy to do for people of my age group. ^_^;;
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 09:15   Link #10
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Hey, I like sleep deprivation. The halucinations are awesome!! hehehe.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 10:41   Link #11
Alexcha17
Banned

All this info are incorrect!!! I myself doesn't sleep too much(2 hrs a day max. 4hrs). And I dont have any sickness or this damn weakness at all!!! maybe this mean im immortal!!!
Alexcha17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 11:09   Link #12
Ending

I sleep way too much and just love to laze for hours, so guess I'm relatively safe from all those nasty diseases and stuff... NOT.

Quote:
They found that, compared with people who slept seven to eight hours a night, long sleepers reported more problems with falling asleep, waking up during the night, waking up too early, feeling unrefreshed when they wake up and feeling sleepy during the day.
Lies.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 11:12   Link #13
Alexcha17
Banned

that's not a lie at all... I experience that if I sleep too early
Old 2004-12-07, 12:59   Link #14
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexcha17
All this info are incorrect!!! I myself doesn't sleep too much(2 hrs a day max. 4hrs). And I dont have any sickness or this damn weakness at all!!! maybe this mean im immortal!!!
This guy's 100 years old, too!
...and, apparently, living in someone's ASS!!!...

I average about six hours a night.

When I open at Starbucks, I get four hours a night + a two-hour nap after work.

Naps are probably the key. A lot of primates wake up early and nap during the day.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 14:25   Link #15
7thMethuselah

During weektimes it ain't unusual for me to lack sleep, this due to a hectic job and busy schedule. In weekends I can catch up. Waaekdays I sleep about 5h a night, weekends 8-10h. I know it's not ideal but a job in the western world forces you to do so ....
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 15:50   Link #16
Spiggy
Invisible

Send a message via AIM to Spiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Spiggy
I get on average 5-6 hrs a night sometimes way less and I don't get as sick as much as everyone else. My attitude is a lot different (grumpier), I haven't gained weight (I don't think I can), and the heart disease...I'll blame that on my eating habits b/c I get hungry every 3hrs and don't care what I eat.
Spiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 17:59   Link #17
Alexcha17
Banned

At Spiggy: eh, yeah, damn right man! All this diseases should be blamed not only in sleeping!
Old 2004-12-07, 18:21   Link #18
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff7799
Skipping sleep can dramatically increase your risk of obesity, heart disease, a weakened immune system--even death. How's that for a wake-up call?
Now THERE is a misleading statement. The article makes it seem as if getting less than optimal sleep each night could cause horrible after-effects, but most of the effects it describes only happen after night upon night, for at least a week, of getting no sleep whatsoever. So, unless you stay up for hundreds of hours, you're not going to die from sleep deprivation.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 19:30   Link #19
Spiggy
Invisible

Send a message via AIM to Spiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Spiggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
Now THERE is a misleading statement. The article makes it seem as if getting less than optimal sleep each night could cause horrible after-effects, but most of the effects it describes only happen after night upon night, for at least a week, of getting no sleep whatsoever. So, unless you stay up for hundreds of hours, you're not going to die from sleep deprivation.
pip pip cherio. Agreed. How many insomniacs do we know have died? I'm not exactly diagnosed (I'll get tested one day..I think) but I'm going on about 8yrs of the same very crappy sleeping pattern. There has to have been other factors. It's like w/ slim fast, they state that it will help you lose weight BUT only if you eat healthy and exercise...the things you should've done before buying it but that's something else and off topic.
Spiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 00:26   Link #20
ff7799
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ff7799 Send a message via MSN to ff7799
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
Dude after skipping a hour or more of sleep every night this eventually becomes not only a habit but a regular routine and eventually the effects begin to show on a person more and more, I have missed hours of sleep since I started college. To be honest I haven't slept more than 4 hours a night on average this entire semester and I have forgotten what it feels like to wake up refreshed. and their are many people that stay awake for hundreds of hours, however this is all gradual, and often occurs over different time frames, some as short as a few weeks.
ff7799 is offline   Reply With Quote