AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-06-19, 16:50   Link #41
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Name of Series: Acchi Kocchi
Episodes Watched: 10
Rating: 10/10
Comments: This show got increasingly more awesome as time went by. Mayoi is by far my most favorite character. And even though the relationship between Io and Tsumiki isn't going anywhere, it's still fun to see them interact with each other.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep

Name of Series: Accel World
Episodes Watched: 2
Rating: N/A
Comments: I got tired of watching it after episode 2. It basically failed to truly hook me.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Dropped

Name of Series: Fate/Zero 2
Episodes Watched: 12
Rating: 10/10
Comments: Still as epic as it was before.

Name of Series: Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
Episodes Watched: 11
Rating 10/10
Comments: Best show this season. Episode 8, with its 1001 shout-outs, and episode 10 were the best of the show.

Name of Series: Kimi to Boku 2
Rating: 9/10
Comments: N/A

Name of Series: Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? Of the Dead
Comments: I liked how the second season focused more on comedy, and it saw Eu's moeness increase tenfold.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Completed

Name of Series: Medaka Box
Comments: I seriously don't understand why this show gets criticized so much. I found it highly enjoyable so fsar, and I doubt the final episode will disappoint either.

Name of Series: Natsuiro Kiseki
Rating: 7/10
Comments: Not the greatest show of the season, but some episodes were downright heartwarming and the chemistry between the characters seems to work for me.

Name of Series: Nazo no Kanojo X
Rating: 8/10
Comments: Though Tsubaki's actions are understandable, they do make me like him less. Urabe is still awesome, though.

Name of Series: Phi-Brain: Kami no Puzzle 2
Comments: I found the motivation for the Orpheus Order's deeds quite dumb. Kaito seems to becoming more and more braindead, and Nonoha has been reduced to buttmonkey. I hope it doesn't get any worse.

Name of Series: Recorder to Randoseru Re
Comments: Aside from the one episode in which they repeat the old "Atsushi = pedo" shtick, it's been more refreshing and original than the previous season.

Name of Series: Saki: Achiga-hen – Episode of Side-A
Episodes Watched: 8
Comments: The fact that this is a side-story to the main series is becoming more and more obvious. Hardly any of the characters seem to be getting any real development and it's hard to get attached to any of them. The mahjong batles are still great, though.

Name of Series: Sankarea
Comments: The Wanko episode made me pull my hair out in frustration, but the Mero-centric episode made up for it. Getting curious as to how they plan on ending this show,as they seem to be heading towards an open ending that screajms 'second season, please'.

Name of Series: Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
Episodes watched: 11
Comment: The last few episodes were great. The final episode will decide whether this show gets a bump in the score or if it stays this way.

Name of Series: Upotte!
Episodes watched: 11
Comment: I liked this show. Fanservice was fairly tame and scarce and I liked how the show explained m ore about the girls/guns in the show.

Name of series: Hyouka
Episodes watched: 8
Comment: I'm still not really 'feeling' the magic in this show. The characters are slowly getting more likable and the animation quality is still excellent, so I'll probably sit it out to the end

Name of series: Mouretsu Pirates
Episodes watched: 24
Comment: Carry-over from Winter 2012. Started slow, but is rapidly rising above my expectations. Marika has definitely proved herself as pirate captain
Old 2012-07-03, 16:46   Link #42
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Here are my initial impressions of the season, put under spoiler tags for space purposes.

Spoiler for Early Spring 2012 thoughts:

And here is my previous post of my mid-season thoughts:
Spoiler for Mid-Season:
Okay, here are my final impressions of the excellent Spring 2012 season....

A List (i.e. actively following with interest):

Bodacious Space Pirates - carryover - continues to be absolutely stunning imo. Extremely solid in every way, shape and form for me. I love the pace, the charas, the BGM, the beautiful BG animation, the storyline, everything. However, it is interesting that it does not "excite" me as much as, say, Hyouka does. Even so - I think it was my "favorite" series of the Spring season....

Acchi Kocchi - light hearted adorable fluff; this series REALLY makes me laugh. It's been a while since I have been able to laugh so much at a series as I do with this one. I find myself really liking the charas, and the dynamic reminds me of the humor dynamic that the girls in K-On were able to pull off so effectively.

Hyouka - I was expecting Hyouka to be good, but it is no exaggeration when I say that I have come to love everything about this series. I expected this one to be in the B or C category for me, but it has floored me. Out of all the series airing this season this is the only one I have eagerly looked forward to since ep 1 aired.

Nazo no Kanojo X - an outright brilliant adaptation imo, and in some ways it is even better than the manga. That's quite a feat in my book.... The weakness of the manga is that it has dragged on seemingly interminably after the infamous "idol arc" with the story seeming to go nowhere, but here in the anime adaptation there is a feeling of a clear beginning and a somewhat satisfying end. Good job.

B List (i.e. actively following):

Sakamichi no Apollon - This was my fave series of the season before Hyouka came along. An absolutely beautiful OP and ED, and if I enjoyed Jazz music in general I think I would be drooling all over this one. The storyline is realistic, convincingly acted and beautifully drawn - even touching. But while this series had the "greatest moments" on the Spring 2012 series it also suffered from only having 11 eps imo. The story could have been a masterpiece in it's medium had it been given a full 24 eps or so, I think.

Accel World - prolly the biggest surprise for me this season; a really solid show. I have even come to accept the main chara and not be bothered by how he is portrayed. The story really grabs me with this one. Very much looking forward to the second half in summer 2012.

Saki Achiga-Hen - a big Saki fan (both manga and anime) and also reading the Achiga-Hen manga before and while the series is airing. Another really good adaptation here. Good job in general, though I wish they had done more with it.

C List (i.e. following, but mildly interested):

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san - continued absolute nonsense with no pretensions whatsoever. Part of me is impressed that they have managed to keep such a break-neck pace up to now. But at the end of it all it was not able to grab me in a lasting way like other series.

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia - a big surprise of the season for me. The manga is way, way better imo, but even so the producers of this one have done a very good adaptation. The ED is lovely. Like Haiyore! Naruko-san though, it simply did not leave a lasting effect on me for whatever reason.

Uchuu Kyodai - really solid material; now if only astronauts were more interesting to me.... More eps next season it seems.

Furusato Saisei Nippon no Mukashibanashi - this is definitely "pleasant viewing", as I like folktales in general, and feel that the time they take for each tale (about 7-8 minutes or so) is just about right. A really enjoyable ED. Looks like it will go on for a second season?

Shirokuma Cafe - this is definitely slice of life comedy and is very well done imo. If I cared about the charas more I would prolly roar with laughter at each ep, but somehow while I do like them it is more of a "just like" as opposed (for example) to really liking the charas of Acchi Kocchi. The OP is well done imo. Also looks like this one will go for another season? Maybe?

Kuromaju-san ga Tooru - another "short" (although this one is 7 minutes long) that I find endearing. It could prolly me a lot better if given a full 12 ep treatment, and somehow I feel it has the potential to be an interesting story premise if properly utilized. Not sure why I think that though.

Recorder to Randoseru Re - well, I liked season 1. Season 2 is more of the same. Nuff said. Wish it would get it's own series. :\

Yurumates 3D - a sweet "short" of lighthearted humor. Will watch season 2 in summer 2012.

Finished but was unimpressed by: Kore wa Zombie desu ka of the Dead - well, I sat through it to the end but was honestly disappointed. I thought it was little more than "filler eps", to be honest. They could have done so much more.

Tried out and not interested: Ozuma, Medaka Box, Sengoku Collection, Upotte, Sankarea, Zetman, Jormangund, Natsuiro Kiseki, Shiawase no Pan, Gakkatsu, Tsuritama, AKB0048.

Older series still being subbed: Hyouge Mono, Showa Monogatari.

Last edited by Flower; 2012-07-05 at 15:01.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 01:00   Link #43
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

To summarize my thoughts:

Kids on the Slope was great, which is why it hurts more when it mucks up.

Hyouka and E7 Ao were really surprising in how much I like them.

Sankarea had the same problems as Kids on the Slope, only worse.

Aquarion Evol was so much fun.

Fate/Zero, anything that involved Rider and Waver were great. Everything else, snooze.

Accel World, I hate the concept of.

Space Bros got better once the actual exam occurred.

Everything else I watched from Tsuritama to Mysterious Girlfriend X was good, but nothing too outstanding.

Watched a lot this season. Unless E7 Ao and Hyouka end strong though, nothing this season can beat Daily Lives of High School Boys.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 01:36   Link #44
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Top Tier: Tsuritama, MGX, Sakamichi (in that order)

Second Tier: F/Z, Jormungand, E7: AO, Uchuu Kyoudai, Ginga e Kickoff (not in order)

Third Tier: Sankarea, Shirokuma Cafe, Hyouka (not in order)

Fourth Tier: Zetman, Lupin III: Mine Fujiko, Accel World, Kimi to Boku 2, Haiyore! (not in order)

That's a pretty darn good season in my book. It didn't end up soaring to the heights of the all-time greats, but was still probably the best season for a couple of years.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 01:41   Link #45
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
To summarize my thoughts:

Kids on the Slope was great, which is why it hurts more when it mucks up.

Hyouka and E7 Ao were really surprising in how much I like them.

Sankarea had the same problems as Kids on the Slope, only worse.

Aquarion Evol was so much fun.

Fate/Zero, anything that involved Rider and Waver were great. Everything else, snooze.

Accel World, I hate the concept of.

Space Bros got better once the actual exam occurred.

Everything else I watched from Tsuritama to Mysterious Girlfriend X was good, but nothing too outstanding.

Watched a lot this season. Unless E7 Ao and Hyouka end strong though, nothing this season can beat Daily Lives of High School Boys.
Wait wut? I thought you hated Okada?

As for me, I only managed to finish Fate/Zero and Kids on the Slope this season. The rest I've either stalled or dropped due to various reasons, but they do have the common ground of me not having interest in the short term at the very least. This includes Space Brothers, which I'm expecting I'll pick up and marathon once it's about halfway since it's a bit slow.

As for ongoings, only sticking with Hyouka.

So I donno. Was a decent season I guess, but no where near as good as Spring 2011. However, this current Summer...ugh.

EDIT: Forgot about Natsuiro Kiseki. Was a decent watch, though I liked it because of the troll rock (i.e. probably not legit good lol).
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 02:51   Link #46
Dawnstorm

Well, my undisputed favourite this season: Nazo no Kanojo X. I also loved Sakamichi no Apollon.

Sankarea was a bit of a disappointment, as it succumbed to cookie cutter fanservice. The best episodes after the first few were the side episodes about Ranko and Mero, IMO. I still liked it.

Tasogare Otome X Amnesia was a bit weak in the middle, and then I didn't much care for the postscript ending, but it was a lot better than I would have expected. They did great things with colour and light in that one.

Shirokuma Café, Kimi to Boku 2, Acchi Kocchi, the Mouretsue Pirates, and Fate/Zero were fun, too. Especially Shirokuma Café hits my feelgood muscle.

Sengoku Collection was hit and miss (with some excellent episodes, like the Alice-in-Wonderland wtf-fest), which is better than the miss and miss a lot I expected.

Kuro Majo san ga Tooru is good fun; probably the most overlooked show of the season, because it's so short and for kids. But Paku Romi made for a delightful black witch.

Speaking of shorts, I wonder why I can't find any subs past episode 8 of Gakkatsu. The show was hilarious when it worked (not always). Oh, the moonfish episode... (I was also watching Recorder and Chibi Devi, the latter is cute, the former pointless except for the appealing character design. I did drop Shiba Inuko San.)

I didn't enjoy Tsuritama as much as I thought I would, but Haru in despair was on one of the best voice acting jobs this season. It was good fun, but felt ultimately somewhat flat und uninspiring. I wonder why, since I believe the folks who made it had great fun making it.

Then there's Natsuiro Kiseki which was decent in a guilty-pleasure sort of way, Furusato Saisei ~ Nihon no Mukashi Banashi which was as enjoyable as a picture book that's read to you by charming story tellers and had a great opening/ending duo.

Finally, Hyouka and Saki ~ Achiga Hen picked up and became more enjoyable than I thought they would.

This season was so excellent that I dropped stuff I'd normally have watched (for example, Uuchu Kyoudai, Eureka 7 and - perhaps - Jormurgand).

Edit: Stuff I forgot:

Yurumates ~ Decent to fun

Haiyore Nyaruko San ~ Surpringly fun, but I'm still not surprised I forgot about it (loved Kana Asumi as Nyaruko)

Accel World ~ Was mildly interested in the beginning, but interest declined with each episode (still watching, for whatever reason)

Medaka Box ~ How could I forget that? I'm actually looking forward to season 2. It's not stellar, but still fun (Shiranui is the star of the show for me).

Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka? Of the Dead ~ Did they make that from scrapped scenes of the first season? There are new characters so I don't think so, but...
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 07:10   Link #47
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Tsuritama and Nazo no Kanozo were very impressive at how they choose to highlight and develop human bond whether it was from the perspective of friendship or romance. The satire in between only helped to enhance the quality of both of those shows.

I'm a shounen-fan through and through, so I enjoyed shows like Jormugand and Kuroko's Basket (ongoing) tremendously. For me, it's even more surprising that I'm into a sports anime like Kuroko's Basket which I'm generally not fond of due to the extreme exposure of bishies that tend to plague. Then there is Fate/Zero which was solid and had one of the best anti-hero (Kirie) in memories. Zetman was tolerable too to some level though I have to say I had the urge to strangle Kouga everytime he was on the screen. Even a show which is all about tits-and-ass don't have a character portrayed as shallow as that dude. Sakamichi no Apollon was good until the romance was introduced. While I don't have problem with romance in general, I think that aspect just didn't quite fit into my own requirment. I also have to admit that I have 5 more episodes left before I can finish that series and I'm in no hurry to finish it.

From the light hearted comedic side of things, I liked Acchi Kocchi and Kore wa Zombie Desu ka. Hyouka (ongoing) is intriguing in its own way.

Also very impressed with Space Brothers (ongoing), but mostly because I'm fascinated with that genre in general. The show has been pretty good so far and easy to watch.

That's a lot of show I've watched from a season, so yes, I would agree that it has been a prolific season for likable anime. It had something for almost every kind of taste bud.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 09:03   Link #48
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Wait wut? I thought you hated Okada?
I hate Adam Sandler, but I've seen stuff of his that I've liked. Speaking of which, I forgot to mention the Lupin series. I thought it was okay, though I'd rather watch the ones where Zenigata is a goofball. And the Korra series...even amongst the bad endings of the Spring Season, the one that series had actually ruined the episodes preceding it.

And how is Kirei an anti-hero? Isn't he the villain of the Fate franchise?

Old 2012-07-04, 13:44   Link #49
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

This season's masterpieces: Acchi Kocchi, Fate/Zero (both seasons combined), Nyaruko-chan. Dusk Maiden.

Shows that didn't quite make it, but were still great: Sankarea, Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? of the Dead, Kimi to Boku 2.

Shows that were good, but failed to truly hook me: Nazo no Kanojo X, Yurumates 3D, Medaka Box, Upotte!, Saki Achiga-hen (and Moretsu Pirates from previous season)

Above average shows: Natsuiro Kiseki, Recorder to Randoseru Re (ahnd I'mn being generous here)..

Yet to be rated, since they're still on-going: Phi Brain 2, Hyouka (both are likely to end up as above average, if things don't improve soon).
Old 2012-07-04, 14:18   Link #50
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
With the summer anime getting debuted bit by bit here's my current and final grade for the spring anime I've watched/followed.

Accel World
Episode Watched: 12

Reasons: Niko is not only adorable but she's so boss and awesome just like in the novels. I was a little disappointed in the way Chrome Disaster was designed but the fights so far were amazing and if it looks like we're about to enter volume 3 of the novels. That is if the series doesn't end in 13 episodes

Hyouka
Episodes Watched: 9

Reasons: Oreki and Chitanda's relationship is so unqiue and amazing. Chitanda is one of the most fascinating heroines I've seen in awhile. It's like she's a walking breathing mystery sensing radar much to Oreki's dismay. Oh well, he puts up with it because he cares or just want to get it over with, either one of two. I'll wait for more episodes before I continue this.

Fate/Zero 2nd Phase
Final Grade: A+

Reasons: This anime has not failed to meet my expectations. The battles, back stories, and the twists and turns really draw you in and it definitely leads up to something unexpected. With the events of Fate/Night finally coming full circle Fate/Zero was an absolute blast and I've enjoyed it to no end.

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
Episodes Watched: 4
Rating: Need to finish series.

Reasons: Now that the series is finished, I'm going to continue where I left off. Hope that the other episodes still delivered as the first 4 I've watched did.

Kore wa Zombie Desuka? Of the Dead
Final Grade: B+

Reasons: The remaining episodes were funny, heartwarming, and well more cute girls added to the mix. Quite disappointed that it ended with 10 episodes but seeing Eu's deredere talkative side for a brief time totally made up for it.

Natsu-iro Kiseki
Final Grade: A+

Reasons: I've said it before and I'll say it again - the seiyuu's from Sphere were incredible from when the show started and ended. Each episode was really touching, heartwarming, and made you want to know how they'll make more precious memories of their adolescents. Totally worth the weeks invested into this and I have no regrets. Natsuiro Kiseki was truly amazing, at least to me!

Sankarea
Final Grade: B+

Reasons: Like the manga I loved the anime, but I left like they could've continued and to me it seemed rushed. None the less Rea is cute so the anime was a treat and I have no regrets.

Upotte!!
Final Grade: B-

Reasons: Cool/cute girls with guns = Check. Really weird and hilarious antics = check. Ending leaving the watcher satisfied and content = No sir.

Yes, the show was amazing and cute especially Funco and Eru-chan, god they're adorable. The ending was rushed and unsatisfactory, well I'm going to have to read the manga now. Still despite that I've truly enjoyed it to absolutely no end.

That's my grade on the current series. Some need to finish but for now onwards to the summer anime releases!
Old 2012-07-04, 16:47   Link #51
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Great season. One of the best in years really. I don't think it's possible to be an anime fan and not find at least one show that you like there was just such great quality spread across a variety of genres, tones and styles. Here's my final report card:

Title: Sakamichi no Apollon
Commentary: I know it's almost commonly accepted wisdom that this show imploded at the finish line and while I've felt that way about many more shows than people can possibly imagine I cannot bring myself to feel that way about this one. I felt the characters and their actions were genuine and engrossing in a style of show where I find it's become almost commonplace to see writers phone it in with archetypal characters, a dissonant blend of comedy and melodrama (almost always split between the first 3/4 and final 1/4 of a show respectively as a rule), and just boring fluffy subject matter and material. I also loved the setting and the period and how the show worked the idea of kids on the sleep into it's very fabric. For the number of shows that get away an almost total lack of effort and the way this knocked it out of the park I think it would be criminal to disregard all the things it did for me on account of the crappy time restrictions of the noitaminA block, and thus while it's not the perfect show it remains one of my favorites of the season.

Title: Lupin III - Mine no Fujiko
Commentary: Holy crap this shows art style and use of cinematography. Anyway that actually knows my tastes knows I'm a huge cinematography fag and how much I love it when shows make good use of it and for a TV show this one does it better than anything I can think of since maybe Gankutsuo. The characters (minus maybe Oscar who I'll get to in a moment) were all pretty fascinating and had their own gravitas to them, and Lupin's voice actor is just one of a kind. The plotting ranged from the overarching storyline of Count Luis Yu Almeida's cult and his relation to Fujiko's past and episodic storylines that can be best described as out there but very entertaining. My favorite was probably the one that featured a Che Guevara lookalike in a parody of the Bay of Pigs fiasco, which is made all the more funny since I've just started playing Just Cause 2. I think the only drawback of this show was the Oscar character who was clearly Mari Okada's insert character so that she could do an episode about her whole crossdressing fetish. His character just ended up making little sense and ended up more as a foil for Fujiko again ostensibly so Okada could do her whole bizzare gender relations things again. Anyway this and Apollon basically made up my favorites for the season.

Title: Accel World
Commentary: This is still ongoing, but man was this a bit of a dark horse for me because I went in knowing almost nothing about the Accel World storyline and characters, am extremely wary of the head writer Hiroyuki Yoshino who has a much deserved reptutation for constructing absolute messes of storylines, and am by no stretch of the imagination am I a fan of Yuki "Wussy Voice" Kaji. Thus I was prepared for the worst. I guess I shouldn't be so surprised that I ended up enjoying it way more than I thought I was going to though since Sunrise produced shows have a habit of almost always tickling my fancies and Accel World ended up being no acception. For a 24 episode series it has a pretty great budget and look, the drama is kept within acceptable levels (whoever put the leash on Yoshino thank you) and the characters aren't all black and white, but instead have their ups and downs, good growth and little intracies that make them more than meets the eye. Plus Kuroyukihime has to be amongst the most gar and hawtest female character to come along in a while. If it weren't for Yuna from Saint Seiya she'd easily be my runaway favorite female character of the season.

Title: Fate/Zero S2
Commentary: After this I'd say I've become interested in the complexity and history of the Type/Moon universe and plan to follow it up with Kara no Kyokai. The animation and music were serviceable, even though I don't ever think I'll esteem both aspects as highly as some will. Still compared to Fate/Stay Night though the art and animation are a godsend even if I like Kenji Kawai's score a little better than Yuki Kaijura's who while a solid composer in her own right just never seems to stand out to me all that much. What really made this show for me though wasn't the audio/visual experience, but the characters and their struggles. From Kiritusgu's inner moral conflict of how to make reach his end of world peace through the fastest means possible even if it means sacrificing some people, to Waver's trying to make a name for himself, to Saber's grieving over failing to become the king her people hoped they would be to just about any other character. They all carried some weight that they all had to try to deal with one way or another, and the bitter irony that none of them really got the ending they were hoping for except maybe Waver is a sobering dose of reaility that reminds me of the days of kill em' all Tomino. About the only things that really got my goat with this show were the absence of the conflict I wanted to see most between Saber and Lancelot and that smug static character that is Gilgamesh who not only brings nothing to the table, but only serves to weaken the narratives of other characters whenever he's around.

Title: Saint Seiya
Commentary: Good old fashioned shonen battle fun. If you're like me and absolutely starving for some strongy manly male leads (as well as even a female one) to bring about some justice then this is the show for you. It features a stellar voice cast including the legendary Tohru Furuya returning to the role of Seiya and one of my favorite female VA's period in Satsuki Yukino who's character Yuna the Aquila is a real standout in the show at the moment.

Title: Eureka Seven AO
Rating: 6.5/10
Commentary: I've been struggling a bit with this series as it seems intent on denying the viewer much of a connection to the original classic in it's early goings, but I've stuck along and really hope I'm not disappointed. Not all that much else to say about it since pretty much from the 4th episode on it's steadfastly followed the formula of monster of the week with side story about one of the memembers of the cast. Just hope it all pays off since to be honest if it weren't for my love of mecha stories and reverence for the original I'd probably have dropped it already by now in a season like this.

Title: Space Bros
Rating: 6.5/10
Commentary: Not as intriguing as I was hoping. The show has a very laid back feel to the whole space race thing and not really in a good way. There was a surprising lack of real tension or drama where I put it on hold with episode 6 as the show seemed content to just be fun, simple and wacky, which is all well and good, but again just not what I was expecting whatsoever. I'm utterly fascinated by the idea of travelling to space and think that only then will humanity be able to move itself to the next level of it's evolution as a species so for this to leave me feeling underwhelmed is pretty disappointing. Still I plan on giving it a second chance this season and picking it back up to see where it's gone in that time and I hope I'm not disappointed a second time in doing so.

Title: Ozuma
Rating: 6/10
Commentary: I think this would have worked substantially better as a feature length movie. The concept and setting looked ripe for a movies budget and it's even paced at about that length with 6 20 minutes episodes, but instead it was afforded a TV budget and thus wasn't really to realize much of it's potential and was over all too soon. Shame....

Title: Zetman
Rating: 5/10
Commentary: I was into this shows grimdark atmosphere for the first couple episode until it became clear that the show was going to be continually jumping past plot points and skipping key events of the manga story to the point where I wouldn't even know where the heck the show was or what was going on at the start of each new episode because it would just be in an entirely new arc of the manga. If people truly felt Sakamichi no Apollon was poorly paced or rushed in it's similar 12 episode count all I have to say is watch Zetman and note the difference.

Title: Hyouka
Commentary: Oh Kyoani, will there ever come a day where your shows will tickle my fancy and be able to praise you for anything other than your shows animation quality? Not this time as I didn't really see any reason to continue beyond the 3rd episode as I could not relate to the cast in any way, found the mysteries of the episode utterly mundane. Am I surprised to be saying this...honestly not really.

Title: Jormungand
Commentary: Watched one episode, didn't really catch my fancy, art and animation were below par, not much else to say other than I did in fact watch an episode so it's on this list.

Title: Aquarion Evol
Rating 3/10
Commentary: Oh my good lord what is happening to mecha shows these days?! Thank god for Gundam AGE and even Eureka Seven cause if this was all there was to satiate my lust for shows with mecha in them I'd really look desperate and sadly probably still be watching it like a schmuck. From the sounds of it I was right in my assement that the show and it's cast were headed nowhere that could be considered well written or developed.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 01:41   Link #52
webkid94
*Author

Pretty good, but a lot of meh in-between.

Tsuritama
Episodes: 12/12

The one show that really put a smile on my face. I LOVE how happy and optimistic this show is, and it's in my top 5 (sorry Penguindrum!) Best show of Spring by far.

Sakamichi no Apollon

Alright, but I didn't care much of the Watanabe guy (I never saw Cowboy Bebop) but Yoko Kanno's OST was amazing. I'd pay huge money if she and Yuki Kajiura ever collaborated..anyways decent end, but the timeskip was annoying

Fate/Zero 2
Score: 8/10

Meh, this show ended on episode 23 for me. I did read the F/SN VN so I understood the ending more than most people apparently did (Kotomine, you bastard..), decent ending was expecting a lot more though naked Gilgamesh is fine too

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
Score: 7.5/10

The best ending comes from this show??! Yes, I loved Dusk Maiden's ending it was totally unexpected. Yuuko <3

Kuroko no Basuke
Episodes: 11/25
Score: Hovering between a 7 and 8

Thoughts: Oh my god, I think I should give more sports anime a chance. This show knows how to keep you interested and LOVES ending on huge cliffhangers! Characters are really good, coach is kinda annoying but the animation is great and so is the BGM.

Nazo no Kanojo X

The only show with tons of fanservice that I didn't mind. Adorable romance and a really interesting plot = Two thumbs up.

Kimi to Boku. 2
Episodes: 13/13

Much better than season 1, but I didn't like the Mary/Chizuru stuff it took too much time. Kaname got some love , sad it's ending probably for good..

Jormungand
Score: 7.5/10

Probably overshadowed by all the other great shows this season. Koko <3, VALMET <333 DAT SOUNDTRACK <3333333. But weak story..

Hyouka
Episodes: 10/21 (unsure to continue)
Score: 7/10

Pretty, but it almost feels like Guilty Crown. Same seiyuus too: Houtarou->Gai, Mayaka->Inori, but much better presentation. Four episodes is way too long for the latest story KyoAni...

Eureka Seven: AO
Episodes: 11/24

SO MUCH BETTER than the first season. I like all of the characters here, even if they aren't the most developed cast. I had to struggle with the first series..50 episodes was way too much. Ao is likeable and the captain Ivica is a pretty cool bro.

Shirokuma Cafe
Episodes: 8/?? - Putting on-hold

Alright, but nothing happens that's of importance. On-hold

Accel World
Episodes: 6/24 [B]DROPPED[/B}
Score: 6/10

Oh god, the main character is annoying I could care less about weight but why did Yuki Kaji voice him? Guilty Crown 2.0....

Acchi Kocchi
Episodes: 2/12 DROPPED
Score: 5/10

Enough of these shows, how many of them are there? Production is also cheap.
webkid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 09:58   Link #53
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

That was Yuuichi Nakamura as Gai? Oops. Okay, I guess I haven't liked every character he's voiced.

Old 2012-07-06, 05:53   Link #54
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
And how is Kirei an anti-hero? Isn't he the villain of the Fate franchise?
It probably would help if I get an idea to how you define "villain." I couldn't talk about the entire Fate franchise, but as far as Fate/Zero goes, I think Kirie was portrayed a whole lot more just to say he is another mere villain. Since this probably will be an off-topic discussion to this thread (unless Flower/Archon_Wing permits ) feel free to PM/VM me if you are in the mood for a highly opinionated (and probably a short-sighted) view.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 05:59   Link #55
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
It probably would help if I get an idea to how you define "villain." I couldn't talk about the entire Fate franchise, but as far as Fate/Zero goes, I think Kirie was portrayed a whole lot more just to say he is another mere villain. Since this probably will be an off-topic discussion to this thread (unless Flower/Archon_Wing permits ) feel free to PM/VM me if you are in the mood for a highly opinionated (and probably a short-sighted) view.
The more hating critiquing, the better!
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 09:20   Link #56
The Butcher
Butchered Taste

The ones I watched:

Fate/Zero 2nd Season
Completed
One of my favorite animes of all time. I loved every second of it, and I can't believe I let FSN delay me for the first few weeks it came on. Definitely best shows of the year, and I thought it couldn't trump Mirai Nikki, but it did by leagues. Don't know how Breaking Bad will beat it.
10/10

Sankarea
Completed
The only pure romance show I have ever liked in my life. Maybe because I'm into weird things that like this.
7.1/10

Accel World
Keeping 13/24
8.5/10
Really surprised me. I actually thought this would be crappy beyond beleif, but Haru is the fattest bad ass I have ever met. Kind of reminds me of Kei Kurono from Gantz in a way. Soundtrack & action are cool too.

Medaka Box S1
Completed
7.5/10
I didn't really like the last episode, but nonetheless everything else before was pretty good. Medaka is one of my favorite female characters of all time, and it is refreshing to actually see a Shounen Jump female be good, and actually being the main character or once. It was fun too.

Jormungand S1
Completed
8.5/10
Now, Koko had to be the best female character of the season. Her trolling & fucking around. Also, it is really refreshing to have a action show after so long. All the action scenes were pretty damn good. It is like Black Lagoon, except with more story & better characters.

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? of the Dead
Completed
7/10
A whole lot better than the first season. The first season took itself was too seriously & didn't have enough funny moments between.

Hyouka
Keeping 12/21
6/10
Just a good ole slice of life school anime. Not really great, but good for what it is.

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
Completed
8.8/10
Now, when I watched this I really expected it to suck. It didn't, and it was a good Horror & Comedy. I enjoyed seeing Yuuko develop over the series. I could not wai or each Sunday for it to come on. Second best anime of this season by far.

I'm kind of late I know.

Overall, I enjoyed the influx of good female characters. I rarely like female characters in anything I read/watch so this was a hell of an experience.
The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 17:33   Link #57
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

TL;DR…
Previous Spring comments
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Finishing up my Spring impressions here, and I know that I am really late to the party, but basically finished most of the Spring series that I watch(last episodes of Mouretsu Pirates and Fate/Zero will be discussed when I get to posting my Summer impressions)

Name of Series: Area no Kishi
Episodes Watched: 24
Rating: C
Comments: Episode 24 was postponed for a week. The Yoin arc has been interesting, and I still can't stand the doctor, and the Kakeru going into "Suguru mode" is starting to get on my nerves. The developing love triangle between Mai, Kakeru and Seven is not the most welcome thing either since Kakeru and Seven seem a lot more natural to get together. I'll keep watching while hoping that it returns to showing the promise that it had

Name of Series: Fate/Zero
Episodes Watched: 24
Rating: A
Comments: The last few episodes have been masterful between showing the progress in Rider's and Waver's relationship with each other, and Rider vs Gilgamesh was quite a fight. The fight between Kirei and Kiritsugu in Episode 24 was quite good too, and all the events are meaningful and show how great Urubuchi is at writing.

Name of Series: Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
Comments: This was the best comedy of the season. The body-switching arc was quite good, with the aftermath between Isuka and Tamao giving me some of my favorite moments. The last arc had some great moments too(and several references to Beautiful Dreamer and a Little Busters reference too). I would love to see more, and hopefully the sales will make that happen.

Name of Series: Medaka Box
Episodes Watched: 3
Rating: B-
Comments: Episode 2 had a touching moment with how Medaka loves animals but she always scares them into hiding(even lions and bears!!). Episode 3 was OK. Like the fanservice of Medaka, but it doesn't have anything that really stands out. I am aware of the genre shift that starts in the later episodes and I don't know how I feel about that
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Stall(it's in the backlog, and hopefully will be finished before the 2nd season starts)

Name of Series: Mouretsu Pirates
Episodes Watched: 25
Comments: Loved the singing of Marika and Chiaki in Episode 25. Adorable. The last arc with the pirate hunters certainly ups the ante as Quartz is a nasty opponent with a very nasty ship. Glad to hear of a sequel movie.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep (looking forward to seeing the last episode in a day or two)

Name of Series: Sakamichi no Apollon
Rating: A+
Comments: Episode 11 was quite a roller coaster ride. Loved Ritsuko's singing in that episode. The drama in that episode was top notch, and episode 12 was a good finish to it too. Loved how they executed the ending for it too. It was the best executed happy ending of the season, and this was the best series of the season. Bar none.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Completed (I am gonna buy it so I can relive the greatness of this series)

Name of Series: Tasogare Otome X Amnesia
Rating: C+
Comments: The second half of this series was very strong and quite emotional. Episodes 10 and 11 made me feel for both Yuukos, and happy for what Teiichi had done at the end of episode 11. Episode 12 was great up until the cheap ending that was poorly executed. If they had the ending as a bittersweet one rather than the Deus Ex Machina happy ending, then I would have said that this made the best comeback of the season. Instead despite its strong second half, it's the biggest disappointment of the season.

Name of Series: Uchuu Kyoudai
Episodes Watched: 13
Comments: The third exam arc is just showing how great this show is. The supporting characters and the main trio are all compelling to watch, and Mutta is starting to attract some respect from the JAXA people. The 3D Ant story was a great moment, and Mutta is right about how some people cannot see why we must go into space until they see it. Veyr gald that Sentai licensed this series.

Name of Series: Upotte
Episodes Watched: 1
Rating: C
Comments: And so the girls are guns, and this show milks it for all its worth. The teacher is a moron of course, and FNC has a nasty temper. Amusing, but this will go on my backlog as a guilty pleasure.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Stall

Name of Series: Yurumates 3D
Episodes Watched: 13
Rating: C-
Comments: It's 2 minutes of jokes that I sometimes don't remember later. It's OK, but I might not stick with this for much longer.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Stall? (I'll figure out if I want to watch the 2nd season of this or not)

Spring was a great season for anime.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote