AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

Old 2012-10-08, 04:50   Link #981
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

...oh wow, KyoAni's trolling me again with conspicuously mysteriously sounding BGMs and running scenes...
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 05:02   Link #982
Lukeman1884

Oh, I can certainly tell this is gonna be a fun watch.

Stuff:

1. MC sees a pair of legs dangling in front of him and the first thing he does is grab them. I approve.

2. MC shouts embarrassing thing on middle of school balcony, and is then surprised that someone heard. The intelligence is strong in this one.

3. Nurse deserves an A+ for responsibility. "Hey, I'm busy right now. Please, rummage through my drug cabinet and self-medicate without any supervision."
Lukeman1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 05:20   Link #983
teja208
Critical fanboy

From the PV, it looks like the big sister has appeared. Hope there will be some interesting dillusions.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 05:35   Link #984
EroKing

NSFW
Warning: Not safe to view at work or school!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-10-08, 07:17   Link #985
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
NSFW
Warning: Not safe to view at work or school!
Wow.. I don't even know what to say to this...

Anyway.. looking at the screen cap for ep 2.

Images
screen caps for ep 2.

That turtle seems familiar....
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 07:25   Link #986
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
Summary for episode 2:

Spoiler:

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2012-10-08 at 18:20. Reason: Mistook a sentence. Sorry.
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 08:00   Link #987
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
Wow.. I don't even know what to say to this...

Anyway.. looking at the screen cap for ep 2.

Images
screen caps for ep 2.

That turtle seems familiar....
Pokemon reference. Squirtle, I think.
Old 2012-10-08, 10:04   Link #988
zigantz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Summary for episode 2:

Spoiler:
The summary's a bit vague, so I might be interpreting it's meaning a bit incorrectly, but hopefully...
Spoiler:
zigantz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 10:08   Link #989
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Shinka in bikini with a squirt gun. A miracle of Chuu2koiverse.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 10:12   Link #990
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigantz22 View Post
The summary's a bit vague, so I might be interpreting it's meaning a bit incorrectly, but hopefully...
Spoiler:
Commenting on spoiler
Spoiler:

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 10:22   Link #991
zigantz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Commenting on spoiler
Spoiler:
True...
Spoiler:
zigantz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 10:22   Link #992
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

can I request an avatar?
it's in the op on ep.1
timeframe: around 3:28 from episode 1 IIRC
here's a screenshot though
Spoiler for size:

I think it's loopable

thanks!

EDIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
i just want to share what i got from the forum next door....

interesting form...
lol awesome

Dark Flame Master reminds me of Hiei from YYH though
then the formation of a heart from fingers, I think K-on! had it too IIRC... or was it Hyouka?
as for the last pic, I think Kobato Hasegawa suits for a better comparison

Last edited by Frailty; 2012-10-08 at 10:34.
Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 10:51   Link #993
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

My reaction to watching the OP

Old 2012-10-08, 11:28   Link #994
Ridwan

To whoever that made that .gif, I'd just like to inform you that it has gone viral :

Last edited by Ridwan; 2012-10-08 at 11:40.
Ridwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 11:31   Link #995
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
So I finally got a chance to check this episode out with subtitles and as expected it was absolutely by the textbook Kyoani premiere material and nothing I haven't seen from them before (save for one particular which I'll mention), but at least it's not outright insulting and I could see why people that are into this sort of thing would enjoy it.

While I wouldn't say I enjoyed it (I wasn't immediately turned off by it though which is a pleasant surprise), I can at least see some little improvements Kyoani has made over the years in how they depict their characters, comedy, subject matter etc that could eventually lead to me finding a Kyoani show I'd actually want to stick with down the line without attaching strict conditions if the trend continues. For one while the comedy still relies a lot on the imo over usage of one particular very Japanese styling (manzai) and tended to run over the exact same material throughout the episode (I believe in magical powers->Magical powers are stupid and doesn't exist->Yes they do->No they don't *chop*->*Rikka clutches her head and whines*) it's not absolutely up in your grill explaining every nuance of the joke that just transpired to you like say Lucky Star, thus it gives the material at least some room to breath even if I can't say it had me eliciting more than a couple light chuckles. And while Lucky Star basically felt like a glorification of all things otaku for the sake of promoting Kadokawa Shoten merchandise (something that continued to get more aggressive and really started to turn me off that show) here the tone towards otakudom seems to be more neutral than anything, finding a healthy medium between something like Lucky Star and say Welcome to The NHK. It doesn't seem to particularly feel either way about whether being amused by and into magical anime type things and showing it in a social setting like school is a good thing or a bad thing as of yet judging by how neither of the two characters made any real ground on each other or seriously talked about the matter.

And that seems to be the hook here, a sort of light commentary about the degree to which one ought to embrace their love of entertainment and where it might help to reign it in. I'm not sure if I'm giving the show to much credit here, I mean this is Kyoani and from every experience I've had with them even that seems like it would be too engrossing a concept to actually tackle so I kind of expect the latter episodes to revert more to straight manzai style comedic scenes and romantic angles as our textbook Kyoani male lead (sarcastic tsukommi with what appears to be an endless internal monologue going on) pursues the various "hotties" we see in the opening and throughout the opening episode. Though I must say, I can never find these Kyoani female character designs attractive. Maybe it's how they look caught halfway between chibi and that style that Kyoani used for the second Haruhi season (those stubby digits and limbs man....), but they just don't do anything for me and just look kind of whimsical. Hey though some people are into that though so who am I to really judge.

So anyway much more watchable than I was expecting and for the first time in a while with a Kyoani show I didn't find myself checking the time left in the episode every couple of minutes, but still not sure I want to continue given how much I've already had on my plate this season. I suppose I'll give it one more episode and then decide whether it's something worth keeping and it'll probably hinge on whether it tries to tackle the commentary on otakudom and social behaviors regarding it in school anymore or opts for the safe comedy approach.

As for the animation quality, it was as expected very good and looks VERY similar to your usual Kyoani anime, but I don't find myself really drooling over it here after having been spoiled by many shows that look pretty damn good as well lately and have a lot more going on in their premieres as well. Don't take this as a complaint or hate regarding the animation and content though, I just prefer to be especially down to Earth and sobering when it comes to this particular studios shows that I don't think sees enough skepticism to their approach.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 12:53   Link #996
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Manzai? How is that even remotely manzai? If you were talking about Nichijou, sure, but Chuu2koi comedy is fairly more "standard" with obviously different themes you see in the vast majority of comedy anime. Manzai is absolutely niche, using the Boke-Tsukkomi scheme extremely rapidly and in a dry fashion, which leaves hilarity for those who are familiar wiht the genre (aside of Nichijou in some instances, things like Carnival Phantasm has such).

I sincerely fail to see any resemblance to Lucky Star and NHK ni Yokoso: the former is largely more centred on otaku antics, while NHK is much more gritty on the plaguing hikkikomori trend in Japan, to which none is anything close to chuunibyou.
Also, you really can't expect characters talking "seriously" over the matter, whereas they arguably don't know that well each other, and it is really not something as "socially inept" than what a hardcore Hikki can be in NHK ni yokoso.
Really, the comparisons you use are definitely offmark and impertinent: I see really no reason to take these series as references used for chuu2koi, considering the themes and narrations are worlds apart from each other.

Really, the series uses simply this harmless and silly social behaviour as a comedy vector for the plot, aside it is nothing to overanalyze about.
Old 2012-10-08, 13:58   Link #997
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Ishihara, having fun at the expense of everyone expecting srsbsns social commentary. Seriously. That's all that could be read from his comments posted by ultimatemegax.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 14:15   Link #998
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Manzai? How is that even remotely manzai? If you were talking about Nichijou, sure, but Chuu2koi comedy is fairly more "standard" with obviously different themes you see in the vast majority of comedy anime. Manzai is absolutely niche, using the Boke-Tsukkomi scheme extremely rapidly and in a dry fashion, which leaves hilarity for those who are familiar wiht the genre (aside of Nichijou in some instances, things like Carnival Phantasm has such).

I sincerely fail to see any resemblance to Lucky Star and NHK ni Yokoso: the former is largely more centred on otaku antics, while NHK is much more gritty on the plaguing hikkikomori trend in Japan, to which none is anything close to chuunibyou.
Also, you really can't expect characters talking "seriously" over the matter, whereas they arguably don't know that well each other, and it is really not something as "socially inept" than what a hardcore Hikki can be in NHK ni yokoso.
Really, the comparisons you use are definitely offmark and impertinent: I see really no reason to take these series as references used for chuu2koi, considering the themes and narrations are worlds apart from each other.

Really, the series uses simply this harmless and silly social behaviour as a comedy vector for the plot, aside it is nothing to overanalyze about.
Two things, one I'm absolutely terrible when it comes to comedy in anime. 99% of the time I just don't get it or find it that funny, and the rare times I do it's hard to explain why in the first place so I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I can speak much or make great comparisons when it comes to comedy stylings in anime, I just do my best, which is still admittedly pretty awful.

Two, when it comes to watching anime usually I like to get into detail and really try to look between the lines and see if I can find something to comment on that either appears a certain way to and interests me or is something I feel was otherwise missed by the majority. That's just how I like to tackle and discuss shows, though yeah maybe it's true it's not there to begin with and I'm trying to add it into the mix for the sake of my own experience and having something to pull from this show. Maybe it's just never really been there when it comes to the Kyoani shows. It's probably why I've struggled with them so much because if the meat just isn't there to tackle, pull to the surface and mull over when it comes to my entertainment, and/or the comedy just isn't funny to me then I typically have a hard time maintaining interest and enjoying myself. It's kind of necessary to my continuing to watch and be able to comment on this show, but if it proves too difficult and it just doesn't offer me enough to ponder then I'll probably just drop it which is 99.9% likely to happen after the next episode anyway as I'll literally have nothing to add to the conversation anyway.
Old 2012-10-08, 14:46   Link #999
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I'm not even sure if a series done by that studio is the problem to begin with, since you yourself admitted that you can't even get into comedy in general, and your obsession over the studio brand doesn't help at all.
As far as I wouldn't be surprised if some people can't appreciate a given show, it just defeats the purpose of trying a show of a specific genre when it is obviously not your cup of tea even before watching it.

That makes just make your points and analysis even less pertinent that they were already.
Old 2012-10-08, 16:40   Link #1000
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I'm not even sure if a series done by that studio is the problem to begin with, since you yourself admitted that you can't even get into comedy in general, and your obsession over the studio brand doesn't help at all.
As far as I wouldn't be surprised if some people can't appreciate a given show, it just defeats the purpose of trying a show of a specific genre when it is obviously not your cup of tea even before watching it.

That makes just make your points and analysis even less pertinent that they were already.
Doesn't hurt to try though, that's always been my policy. If I didn't even at least give a show a chance I'd never find anything new or be surprised if a show turned out different or better than I'd normally expect. Recently several surprises with shows I expected to be dropping quickly have led me to be more experimental than ever with the types of shows/genres/topics I'm willing to try out. Should it not work out though then I can safely see that you'll be seeing a lot less of my "impertinent" posts pretty soon and the thread can get back to it's regularly scheduled discussions about gifs and what not.

Anyway I'll keep what you said about expectations in mind going forward.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-10-08 at 17:00.

Tags
chuunibyou, drama, romance, romantic comedy, school, seinen