AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-12-14, 21:34   Link #2541
King-Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post

By the way, did no one else notice (or at least mention here) that in the latest Saki chapter (the main manga I mean)

Spoiler for Spoiler:
I think i did but it was glorious either way. The rest of your observations are spot on. Though i do not think that is the end of Awai's abilities and think its just one of those starter abilites, if you know what i'm saying.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 21:45   Link #2542
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-Slayer View Post
I think i did but it was glorious either way. The rest of your observations are spot on. Though i do not think that is the end of Awai's abilities and think its just one of those starter abilites, if you know what i'm saying.
Should've known the guy with the Bucap avatar would take notice first, but whatever, it's awesome. I swear, Ritz HAS to know about hakka-ya already.

So you're suggesting this is only one part of what Awai can do? I hpe so, because it feels pretty underwhleming right now, but then again, I'm no mahjong expert.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 22:01   Link #2543
King-Slayer

Quote:
Should've known the guy with the Bucap avatar would take notice first, but whatever, it's awesome. I swear, Ritz HAS to know about hakka-ya already.

So you're suggesting this is only one part of what Awai can do? I hpe so, because it feels pretty underwhleming right now, but then again, I'm no mahjong expert.
Of course i would notice . And while i think it's not her only ability i do think its a pretty good ability (of course i know very little of mahjong). Starting 5-6 away from tenpai while Awai starts with a normal hand has to suck and if i read that right it can even effect Teru's hands.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 05:50   Link #2544
JW1

In a normal mahjong game I'm sure Awai's ability would be pretty overwhelming and extremely annoying for the other players, but compared to the ridiculous powers we've seen in this manga it does seem rather weak. Can she really be Teru's successor with such a power?
JW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 06:49   Link #2545
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Doubtful. It seems that she didn't mind the yakuman or other high score that Shindouji will be getting... if her strategy is to keep her enemy from scoring using 6-7 shanten, I don't think she would like her enemy to get high score at all.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 13:15   Link #2546
thenightsshadow

Anyone else getting the vibe that Awai's other mode is that she always Double Riichi?
thenightsshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 15:23   Link #2547
Requiem-x
The slacking one

I'd rather wait to see what the mahjong experts have to say, though it could be that Awai is just really good normally besides her "everyone gets bad hands" power.

Also, apparently Awai did mean the "you're so hot" part, and here I was thinking it was another case of translators overblowing things. No wonder their bond is stronger than any chain, everyone wants to NTR those two.
Old 2012-12-15, 16:51   Link #2548
The Green One

Awai is probably a rather skilled player on her own, and with her power giving everyone else bad hands from the start it's the equivalent of giving her a several turn head start on completing her hand making it even easier. Yet we've only see the opening salvos, I'm fairly sure there's more to her than this. Next chapter is going to be Himeko strutting her stuff and Ryukka showing her resolve for Toki's sake.

Then likely comes Awai's true rape mode followed by the monkey making her move.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 11:28   Link #2549
Marina2

Since Shindoji played with Shiratodai in the quarter final round, shouldn't Awai (and Shiratodai) know that Himeko's ability can overcome Awai's ability? Why did they surpise?
Old 2012-12-16, 11:49   Link #2550
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Since Shindoji played with Shiratodai in the quarter final round, shouldn't Awai (and Shiratodai) know that Himeko's ability can overcome Awai's ability? Why did they surpise?
They weren't sure if it was a one time thing or if they were really that strong, but this confirmed it. Shiraitodai is quite the cautious team, it seems.
Old 2012-12-16, 12:41   Link #2551
teja208
Critical fanboy

Hmm. Shizu and Awai have more in common than I thought.

It's a showdown of 100 years ability vs 100 times speed.

Another news, it appears TokixRyuuka is similar to how a person needs daily supply of food, water, and oxygen i.e. it 100 times beyond what normal couple would ever want from each other.

Last edited by teja208; 2012-12-16 at 13:15.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 14:53   Link #2552
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Would the uniform give Shizu a power boost?
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 15:41   Link #2553
night_sentinel

Quote:
By the way, did no one else notice (or at least mention here) that in the latest Saki chapter (the main manga I mean)

In that page where Mihoko gives her awesome mistress her own bento, she has both eyes open?
Haha... our monthly dose of yuri couples are here. That scene with our fav captain and bucchou reminded me of happy domestic bliss. And it looks like Ikeda is pretty accepting about it, maybe she found out about Miharu's secret affection for her?

Quote:
As for the other star of the show, I have to say, while seemingly devastating, Awai's ability is kind of underwhelming in a way, basically inflicting slow start on everyone at the beginning of the match, and it sure doesn't help Himeko and Mairu's ability is apparently the best way to counter it. I can definetly see how it could be a threat to Saki, though, given her playstyle, and speaking of Awai and Saki, I really like how the supernova is having much more fun with mahjong than Miyanaga imouto at this point of the nationals, it just fuels the whole "Saki is the last boss" idea even more.
Awai's ability is actually good all things considered. A 5-6 shanten for Awai's opponents while Awai gets a normal starting hand basically gives her a head start on all the other players.

We must also remember that normally Shiraitodai should have a massive lead on everyone due to Teru. At that situation, a 5-6 shanten starting hand on the captain round would be disastrous for Awai's opponents. As her opponent would need large hands which are usually slow as hell but due to Awai's ability the only way they can squeeze a win is to go for the speedier but smaller hands. Beside that, a 5-6 shanten hand starting hand is damaging psychologically. In real life mahjong if I have that as a starting hand I'll probably lose hope in my hand and just bail defensively.

Now let's see how it would stack given Awai's opponents:

vs. Himeko
It is already shown that Mairu and Himeko's ability can circumvent Awai's ability. Of course, Himeko and Mairu's ability itself has a lot of loopholes and is a bit predictable.

vs. Ryuuka
I don't know yet. But, Ryuuka looks intense in this match. And yeah, Ryuuka and Toki really need to get married already.

vs. Shizu
You know I have a funny feeling that Awai's ability is probably one of the few abilities that Shizu can actually do good about. Awai's ability is essentially giving someone very bad starting hands. And what do we know about Shizu?

Ako said it best when she described one of Shizu's best qualities as baseless optimism. Shizu is exactly the type of person that won't quit and will push her hand through even if it is bad. Shizu won't be getting deux ex machina skill, right now it is actually possible that Shizu can score some hands by being bullheaded and not giving up. That said, I do believe that 4 out of 5, Awai will complete her hand before Shizu does - Awai does have a considerable headstart. But, the important thing is the 1 out of 5 wherein Shizu will actually have a chance. And this could be done because Shizu doesn't know when to give up.

Addendum: Of course, this will also work for any player the refuses to give up and it looks like no one in the captain match is going to lose hope anytime soon. And it would require the player to have good draws to compensate for the bad starting hand but hey some chance is better than no chance at all.

And now the match-up we are probably waiting for. How does Awai ability stack with our resident demon overlord that is waiting for her in the finals?
vs. Saki
To be honest I'm a bit disappointed in Awai's ability vs. Saki. In paper, it would be quite easy for Saki to make mincemeat of Awai's ability.

Awai has an absolute safe zone wherein due to her ability it is impossible for players to be able to build a hand within 6 turns except for Himeko and Mairu's ability which seems to circumvent it. This is frankly a bad match-up for Saki who likes to abuse the dead wall for extra turns meaning it is highly possible for Saki to make a hand within Awai's absolute safe zone. Beside that, Saki also has insanely good draws that getting to tenpai would no problem even if she has a bad starting hand.... sigh... you get the idea...

I sincerely hope that Awai has some extra abilities or the finals are not going to be exciting as I hope to be. I'm really looking forward to Shiraitodai as the final boss... Hmm... perhaps since Awai has the star theme going on for her maybe she needs to have a meteor shower or a cloudless night to show her true power or something which will coincidentally happen at the day of the finals...

If not I'm sure Ritz-sensei can arrange a minor mental breakdown for Saki again. God knows, Saki has a lot of established issues for Ritz-sensei to choose from to do her plot related nerfing. Its not like it would be out of place either, Saki having a BSOD happens at almost every match that at this point I'll be pleasantly surprised at any match wherein Saki will not have any psychological issues. Heck, with the Teru situation in the finals, I am almost expecting it.

Last edited by night_sentinel; 2012-12-16 at 16:44.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 17:18   Link #2554
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
I sincerely hope that Awai has some extra abilities or the finals are not going to be exciting as I hope to be. I'm really looking forward to Shiraitodai as the final boss... Hmm... perhaps since Awai has the star theme going on for her maybe she needs to have a meteor shower or a cloudless night to show her true power or something which will coincidentally happen at the day of the finals...

If not I'm sure Ritz-sensei can arrange a minor mental breakdown for Saki again. God knows, Saki has a lot of established issues for Ritz-sensei to choose from to do her plot related nerfing. Its not like it would be out of place either, Saki having a BSOD happens at almost every match that at this point I'll be pleasantly surprised at any match wherein Saki will not have any psychological issues. Heck, with the Teru situation in the finals, I am almost expecting it.
I've been holding my tongue in this thread because I understand no mahjong at all and am in this only for character designs and giggles.

I don't think Shiraitodai will be the final boss. I don't particularly want that to happen. In fact I think the way Ritz is developing the series franchise is trying to pit the Side-A/B/C protagonists up against Saki, and Saki is due for a major BSOD upon finding out that her quest to talk with Teru on the playing board has vanished. Her real psychological issue, then, would be what she's even playing mahjong for, and whether she'll start playing even more ruthlessly than Teru as a form of revenge.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 19:12   Link #2555
MarkS00N

I believe Awai has another ability than this, I mean even Saki kan is actually combination of:
1) Knowing where the tile needed to get kan
2) Knowing what tile is in dead wall (is it the correct term?)

Or for closer comparison, Koromo has 3 ability:
1) Knowing how much another player hand's worth
2) Ishaten Hell (Is it the correct name?) leading to Haitei Raiouyuei (I hope I don't screwed this one)
3) Moon Power-Up

Especially because Awai is the last dealer, isn't she? So it will be much like the Vanguard match but with Awai instead of Teru...
And while people believe the Yakuman would be the tool to up the tension for Shizu, for me it is the moment Awai will shatter the dream of Shindouji (as she will interupt the Yakuman somehow), thus lead to Shizu victory (Second Position though)...

What I find worrisome is Ryuuka, does she has the will to fight? Yes she shown to have that threatening aura, but the that FunaQ worried if Ryuuka is up to it or not make me wonder...
Although if next chapter isn't the end, I can see her run to Toki after finishing East Round badly then got scold by Toki (another possible aaaangst yuri moment or heartwarming one) before returning in south round with true will to win...

Also, last night I have a very weird dream about Shizu and Awai battle...
With shizu said that she has 100 speed, my dream foresee that Shizu will use the speed to change her hand fast (as has been mentioned by someone somewhere that in her match at semifinal, Shizu ability to change from one big hand to the other one is the key to her victory)...
Now with Ako's uniform (Hey, I consider this as power-up) I bet she has an even faster speed and/or able to get an even better hand each time she change hers'...
This isn't special ability though, but pure skill...
MarkS00N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 21:25   Link #2556
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
I'm thinking that people are jumping the gun in stating that Awai's ability was overhyped. People tend to forget that, from what we've seen from monster-level players so far, they don't have a single ability. In fact, a table-wide passive effect seems par for course (see Koromo and Saki, as well as Teru's phenomenal ability to bend causality to favor her).

So no, I expect our little alien has something else in her arsenal of tricks.
Old 2012-12-19, 00:48   Link #2557
The Green One

Spoiler for Saki:
Old 2012-12-19, 01:34   Link #2558
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Spoiler for Saki:
It's the opposite. The background repeatedly says "Saki-san... <3".
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-19, 13:40   Link #2559
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
It's the opposite. The background repeatedly says "Saki-san... <3".
What? So this isn't Saki getting lost, but Saki turning into mush for Nodoka?
Old 2012-12-19, 16:13   Link #2560
The Green One

Actually it was just a funny caption thought up on a whim for a cute picture I saw, I don't know what it actually says.

Maybe that's the face Saki will make right before Nodoka pounces on her in the bedroom...

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri