AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-11-06, 14:39   Link #781
Frontier

I thought episode five was a very enjoyable episode overall.

So Banri gets a reply to his confession, and while it's not the reply he wanted, it's probably the best for Kouko. She's definitely in no shape to be in a real romantic relationship after what happened with Mitsuo, and needs a real friend to help build herself up again after having dedicated practically her entire life to an obsessive love that never really existed. Her friendship with Banri seems to be one of the few, if not the only, thing keeping her together and she really needs that. Though she seems to be becoming as obsessed with her friendship with Banri as she was with her love for Mitsuo, but it's still an improvement at least .

Kouko was as crazy as ever, and as entertaining as ever. She's far from perfect, but at least she's aware of her faults and is trying to improve one step at a time, though the fact that she's been at school for several days without actually registering for her required courses is pretty darn crazy .

Do I think Kouko would benefit from some form of therapy or psychiatric help? Yes. She's certainly not mentally stable. But this is anime, and she wouldn't be the first anime character to need professional help and never receive it.

At least her relationship with Mitsuo is... somewhat improved. They're bickering like kids, but that's certainly a step up from the last episode.

The animation in this episode certainly wasn't anything to write home about. I guess Kouko's outburst in the last episode used up a lot of the budget. Highlights for me include Kouko's magically disappearing tights .

Now as much as I like Kouko, I can certainly see Linda's appeal. She's nice, genuine, and has been a big help to Banri since episode 1. Heck, she's the reason he went to a college in Tokyo in the first place! That scene outside the hospital must've been very hard for her, especially when Banri stated his intention to cut all his "ties." Whether their relationship before the accident was romantic or not, it's obvious Linda cares about Banri, at least past Banri, though she's great at not showing it now. I'm very intrigued to see how things progress between her and Banri now, and more of what their relationship was like in high school.

I'm quite interested to see how the show uses Banri's "Ghost" of his past self, and how much of a role he'll play in the show. I could see him instigating flashbacks to Banri before the accident, to show just how much Banri's changed since the accident and how close he was to Linda. Otherwise, I don't see him being the source of any colorful commentary on what present Banri's currently going through since the "Ghost" seems pretty lifeless.
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-06, 14:42   Link #782
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
After thinking a bit about it, one of the good things about the ghost is that the ghost could provide a relatively fresh way of doing flashbacks. I'm hoping Golden Time will use him this way.
Old 2013-11-07, 05:02   Link #783
l.kostas

Episode 6 preview screenshots:
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/747/747532/
Spoiler for episode 6 description:

Last edited by l.kostas; 2013-11-07 at 08:16.
l.kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 06:02   Link #784
rpapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
After thinking a bit about it, one of the good things about the ghost is that the ghost could provide a relatively fresh way of doing flashbacks. I'm hoping Golden Time will use him this way.
In a sense, Banri's Ghost does behave in many ways like a narrator in the books. He has a unique perspective: both as an outsider, and as the holder of Banri's older memories.
rpapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 11:42   Link #785
Arya

Or ... he could be a complete a***ole!
The first image that came to my mind seeing Banri's ghost has been that late husband ghost from Natsuyuki Rendezvous. And then I keep visualizing the actual Banri fighting with Banri's ghost that always butts in when actual Banri and Koko interact.
It wouldn't be a good use of it I dare say

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 13:30   Link #786
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Banri's ghost seems sharper and more in control than living Banri. And in the photo, the old Banri seems a bit dominant over Linda. Living Banri is not weak, but he's not as confident as that pic of old Banri made him look.

I also get a (quite natural) feeling of sadness from the ghost. Banri's sad, too, but his clean slate somehow gives him a positive feeling. The ghost gives a "sadder but wiser" feel.

I'm not saying this means his personality changed, but there is a different feeling. I'm not going to wade too far into the interesting discussion about personality, but I take a kind of Buddhist point of view that there is no soul or any permanent essence of a person. We just evolve from moment to moment through our lives, with different things affecting us. And our inner nature is also a complex mix of a lot of elements, rather than some permanent solid individuality. But everything that happened to us in our childhood still has an effect many years on. I recently saw a piece saying that about a third of our character is genetic, and the rest is shaped by our interaction with our environment. That seems reasonable to me, as a rough idea. In any case, that probably means living Banri is different from the ghost in some ways, but the same in others.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 16:31   Link #787
Zeross

Spoiler for episode 6:
Old 2013-11-07, 16:59   Link #788
MCAL

Well that escalated quickly... Again!

I was just waiting for someone to come out an say Koko actually hadn't changed at all no matter what she thinks, so I am happy on that account. Although, now I don't know what to make of the ending. I think its obvious that Koko still doesn't know what she's saying, but the question is will Takemiya Sensei see it that way.

Last edited by MCAL; 2013-11-07 at 17:43.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 17:24   Link #789
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I thought that old photo showed Banri as a bit dominant over Linda. That's not how in looked in this week's flashbacks, lol.

So much happened this week that it will take a while to process. Kouko's confession was certainly partly out of desperation. And in her usual way of deciding what she should do, rather than necessarily actually feeling it. But maybe the love is actually there. Or maybe it will come.

I wonder what Linda was going to tell the old Banri: yes or no? Nice little conceit there to use the fans.

Both Banris have cojones: demanding an answer from Linda. Refusing to go on with Kouko as just a friend. Tossing Kouko and Mitsuo together to the tea-swilling wolves.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2013-11-07 at 21:30.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 17:27   Link #790
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Strap in. Here we go.

One of the things I like best about Golden Time is how it handles Kaga. She's a mess, and there's no sugar-coating it, but her actions always ring true through the filters of her various... I hate this word, but let's call them neuroses. I feel like I've known people like her, if slightly less exaggerated examples, and as a result she remains sympathetic to me, even when she's clearly doing something for all the wrong reasons. See: end of ep 6.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 17:27   Link #791
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Banri's ghost seems sharper and more in control than living Banri. And in the photo, the old Banri seems a bit dominant over Linda. Living Banri is not weak, but he's not as confident as that pic of old Banri made him look.
Seems like it was the other way round. Old Banri was even weaker and heavily dependent on Linda.

I must admit, I was very impressed by Banri deciding to step up for himself and tell off Kouko, telling her he can't be her friend after her rejection, despite her pleading. He seems to have gained a new perspective in this episode, going about the questions surrounding him in an aggressive way, instead of running from them. Kouko also seems to have realized something in this episode. But I really hope she wasn't moving too fast. As for Linda, I am wondering what really happened at that bridge. Was she the one who accidently ran him over, or was the scooter thing in the last episode just coincidence and she indeed arrived after he was already pushed off the bridge.

That Mitsuo confession was kind of hilarious, especially after Chinami's reply. It will be interesting to see him moving forward.
Old 2013-11-07, 17:33   Link #792
Pesti13nce

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
\

That Mitsuo confession was kind of hilarious, especially after Chinami's reply. It will be interesting to see him moving forward.
I'd imagine Mitsuo is a mess and doesn't know a damn thing about love either thanks to Kaga always hounding him and not letting him experience love other than her crazy love.
Pesti13nce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 17:39   Link #793
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesti13nce View Post
I'd imagine Mitsuo is a mess and doesn't know a damn thing about love either thanks to Kaga always hounding him and not letting him experience love other than her crazy love.
Well, technically Kouko's situation couldn't be described by the word "love". But indeed, I imagine he surely is somewhat damaged by her craziness. On the other hand, this experience can serve as an emotional stepping stone for him. Moreover, it wasn't like Chinami explicitly rejected him. Not saying she would be interested in him, but he (riled up by Kouko) chose a horrible moment to confess, really inviting Chinami to reply with a "Don't be stupid" in that situation.
Old 2013-11-07, 18:32   Link #794
finalfury
Incognito

Good episode, gave me a lot to think about. :/
Linda and Banri could never really be together imo, too much baggage, guilt and regret between the two of them. :/
Well, I think Kaga and Banri will do very well together (brb, still can't stand Kouko due to next episode preview).
Author still shows her "weakness" with her female MC and Banri gives me the "so close but didn't make the cut" for lovable character. ;_;
Linda gives me the "this is why she could never be the heroine of the story" vibe because I feel that she is a holistically interesting character and I feel that the author tends to like to work with more weird/flawed characters that cater to her perspective.
Chinami's response was expected since she gives the vibe of a free, wandering fairy.
Either I am losing it or I'm seeing a lot of comparisons for this anime to Toradora. :/
If Kouko is really in love with Banri, then it is selfless love at the very least.
I do see the tactic of downplaying Kouko's "negative" traits while reinforcing her "positive" traits being incorporated so I am happy about that.
Old 2013-11-07, 18:37   Link #795
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post

I also get a (quite natural) feeling of sadness from the ghost. Banri's sad, too, but his clean slate somehow gives him a positive feeling. The ghost gives a "sadder but wiser" feel.

I'm not saying this means his personality changed, but there is a different feeling. I'm not going to wade too far into the interesting discussion about personality, but I take a kind of Buddhist point of view that there is no soul or any permanent essence of a person. We just evolve from moment to moment through our lives, with different things affecting us. And our inner nature is also a complex mix of a lot of elements, rather than some permanent solid individuality. But everything that happened to us in our childhood still has an effect many years on. I recently saw a piece saying that about a third of our character is genetic, and the rest is shaped by our interaction with our environment. That seems reasonable to me, as a rough idea. In any case, that probably means living Banri is different from the ghost in some ways, but the same in others.
I enjoyed the fact that the writers have Banri face this old ghost, but never directly, always in piecemeal. This episode proved that point. And How the episoded ended I was like "yes, this is golden."
Spoiler:
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 18:39   Link #796
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Wow.... I am with Kaoru Chujo in the sense that so much happened in this ep that it will take a while to proxess. For me it seemed to happen at breakneck speed, and even flailing it's arms a bit while bolting.

Where to start?
Spoiler for summary of ep 6 to organize my own thoughts:

All that being said I have to say that while part of me was glad that Banri finally began to try and deal with allowing himself to be a doormat and/or easily taken advantage of - though perhaps without ill intentions on the part of the two ladies in question here - I felt that he did so in a rather nasty and edged way. I was not impressed by that.

Yet at the same time I can very much understand why he would behave in such a manner. Especially for those who have stuffed down problems or pain like this for so long when one first begins to recognize and try to deal with it it often comes out in a very crude manner that often hurts both oneself and those around one. I have a feeling Banri began to be aware that he was taking out his anger on others a bit too much in the last event of his dialogue with Linda, and that was part of why he was as down as he was whe he walked outside the building and began running in a random direction.

But what rung most true to me was that it was not solely the issue of being friendzoned that mattered to Banri, it was also the bigger picture of his shaking his fist at the heavens and shouting "Why has such a thing happened to me?!" This I can understand very well, it is something almost everyone experiences to varying degrees and sometimes at several times during one's life, and it is very, very rare that a "bolt from the blue" comes and gives a direct answer. I am not here excusing or accusing anything or anyone in this particular situation, mind you, just pointing out that even when things happen of an intense nature like Banri went through with the memory loss (and whether or no the viewer feels it is intense or no it is certainly presented as very real to Banri) there are not really easy to find, set answers.

In this light Kouko catching up with him and confessing to him as well makes me dread the future. I hope that she is not swinging to another side of things in desperation.

Yeesh - the ep was good, but way too much happened. Asukara ep 6 also had a lot happen, but it was not so much a flailing dash as this ep was. ^^

Still, I liked ep 6 overall. I did mention that, I hope?

Last edited by Flower; 2013-11-07 at 18:57. Reason: Spelling errors....
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 18:52   Link #797
musouka

Whether or not you think Kouko's confession was genuine, this ep made it clear that she's the one Banri really needs.

First of all, while Banri was obviously upset when he tossed her aside, it's not true that Kouko has remained solely fixated on Mitsuo to Banri's expense. She not only noticed the weird atmosphere between him and Linda, but she tried to get him to open up to her about it. You know, like good friends generally do when they see something obviously bothering their friends.

Most importantly of all, on a symbolic level, we got our answer as to what would happen to Kouko's Banri if he were to suddenly "disappear": she'd chase after him. She wouldn't just let him go, even if it means stealing a bike (and running into him) in the process. With Banri's musing on a "fresh start", the parallel of being on a bridge and being run over, I can't help but feel like this is a new beginning for both Kouko and Banri. Make it count, you two.
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 18:57   Link #798
ellessarr
Banned

well i also liked this episode, inf this will be a seinen then lind not lostg "yet" like some seinen clichê possible romance their can ending breaking then linda get a chance but at the end banri will ending with koko, now their will gonna try to be a couple but i'm already picturing who probabily kouko gonna start to deal with him in the same way she deal with mitsue being overjealous until tada get pissed off and break then she will go again run for mitsue in the confusion about her feelings and banri will go to linda but near end both of then realize who their can't really be happy without each other and their past love/life is only in past and now their are the present.

very good episode, the room of hell(the hell is at one door behind you lol), the past flashback of linda give a strong "silbins" feelings toward then more than lovers, the childsh/cry baby way him acted, omg i almost wanted to slap him in the face, if this is tada ghost them man i prefer present tada than past, much better a more decided guy with amnesia than a cry baby acting cool ghost.

the end omg... and the preview looks like is time of their start to learn how to be really close to each other and accept their behavious/gadgets, lets see how the love dove will be last before their break and drama start again and like i told after this talk between tada and linda i'm now waiting who she now will regret her bad decisions and gonna try to steal him back now and true start the fight (love triangle).
ellessarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 19:01   Link #799
finalfury
Incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
With Banri's musing on a "fresh start", the parallel of being on a bridge and being run over, I can't help but feel like this is a new beginning for both Kouko and Banri. Make it count, you two.
The new beginning should technically start after Banri has made peace with his other self I think. This is but the first step into the emotional healing that Banri and Kouko need. But, your post was excellent and well-written.
I do wonder how will the story entertain the audience if Banri and Kouko officially are together aside from drama. fun fact: Excess Drama or drama in general pisses me off and this author and drama.........
Old 2013-11-07, 19:02   Link #800
apr
Pedestrian

They seem to have covered light novel book 2 in just two episodes (compared to four for book 1). No wonder it's screaming past.

Tags
college, comedy, drama, love triangle, romance, seinen