AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-13, 03:53   Link #1141
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

If Haruhi is girly, I'm (insert effeminate adjective here).
Old 2010-02-13, 09:57   Link #1142
mizuki_tohru
DameNingen who came back

I have seen Haruhi movie.
Spectators' large majority was a male and very young. But, It was a late-night show.
Spoiler for Simple impression:
Old 2010-02-13, 12:28   Link #1143
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
"Girly anime"? 0_o'

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is Douglas Adams adapting Star Trek to a Japanese high school setting. How can that possibly be "girly"?

Well, Disappearance, maybe...a bit...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
Haruhi is not girly o_O

Clannad, maybe.

But Haruhi, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Well, that may be because she has only seen me with Haruhi and Yuki pictures... Assumptions, I guess. I didn't bother to correct her, because you know... Teachers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuki_tohru View Post
I have seen Haruhi movie.
Spectators' large majority was a male and very young. But, It was a late-night show.
Spoiler for Simple impression:
I love late-night shows. Minorin recently blogged about how she went to watch the movie again in a late-night slot. Wish I was there...

Nagato can never be too lovely. Her loveliness knows no bounds, and I stand by that.
Old 2010-02-13, 12:34   Link #1144
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
Well, that may be because she has only seen me with Haruhi and Yuki pictures... Assumptions, I guess. I didn't bother to correct her, because you know... Teachers.
At a visual and superficial level, this anime can certainly look and seem "girly".

I mean, most of the prominent characters are pretty teenage girls in sailor-style school-girl uniforms drawn in a moe art style. Short of adding a bunch of roses and plushies, that's about as girly as something can get, at a visual level.

The masculine narration of Kyon usually balances out nicely with the feminine visuals... but you'd have to watch the anime, of course, to get that effect.
Old 2010-02-13, 12:42   Link #1145
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
At a visual and superficial level, this anime can certainly look and seem "girly".

I mean, most of the prominent characters are pretty teenage girls in sailor-style school-girl uniforms drawn in a moe art style. Short of adding a bunch of roses and plushies, that's about as girly as something can get, at a visual level.

The masculine narration of Kyon usually balances out nicely with the feminine visuals... but you'd have to watch the anime, of course, to get that effect.
Unless, of course, she HAS watched the anime, and concluded that though Kyon provides a strong masculine voice to the anime, it's negated by Koizumi's... erm.... behavior. So what's left are teenage girls
Old 2010-02-13, 13:53   Link #1146
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Pshh... That's what teachers are there for is to be corrected. Most of them can't even pass standardized tests any better than their students, nowadays...
Old 2010-02-13, 15:35   Link #1147
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

so for those waiting for a review that wasnt all 'OMG BEST MOVIE EVER"
I found one here:
http://www.tsurupeta.info/content/na...-no-shoushitsu

yes, there are spoilers
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)

Last edited by Game8910; 2010-02-13 at 15:45.
Old 2010-02-13, 15:43   Link #1148
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game8910 View Post
I found one here:
You might want to mention massive spoilers in that review. It's nice to see a differing opinion on the movie, and the reviewer does have a great point as to why he/she doesn't like a certain aspect of the movie. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2010-02-13, 18:37   Link #1149
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

oh my god is Koizumi REALLY THAT PRETENTIOUS?! ><

In any case, once it's licensed is when most people are going to see this...

Or fansubs.

In fact, any fansub groups working on it?

Or is it because the series is licensed, the movie is too?
Old 2010-02-13, 18:40   Link #1150
GDB

Quote:
In fact, any fansub groups working on it?
Pretty sure that's impossible unless there's a camrip somewhere, since you generally need the episode/movie in order to actually work on it.

Quote:
Or is it because the series is licensed, the movie is too?
It's possible that it's licensed, but there's no way of knowing at the moment as they haven't announced anything.
Old 2010-02-13, 22:14   Link #1151
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game8910 View Post
I found one here:
Good lord. This doesn't seem to be the movie for Nagato fanboys...
Old 2010-02-13, 23:47   Link #1152
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Good lord. This doesn't seem to be the movie for Nagato fanboys... :heh:
You must not have read the comments to that review. In it a number of people point out that the guy misunderstood Yuki's role and motivation in the movie, which was at the heart of his problem with the movie. And he seemed to read way too much into the movie. Any Yuki fanboys who are familiar with the novels or who don't try to read in things that aren't there will not have any problem with the movie.

I find it encouraging that the only problem that the reviewer had with the the movie was due to his take on Yuki's role in it. He raved about the animation and their skill at making a ~3 hour movie enjoyable, and even commented how well the story works (even if he didn't like the way it did). I know I do like Yuki's role in the movie, so I still see this as a positive review.
Old 2010-02-14, 02:04   Link #1153
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

I'm not reading that review, mostly because it contains spoilers. Yes I have read the novels, but I'm desperately trying to forget it, because I want the visual impact to hit me full force instead of "Oh yeah that awesome scene is going to come next!"

Anyway, what I'm guessing is that the author of that negative review has not read the novel before, or mayhaps, any Haruhi anime for that matter. The problem is that The Disappearance is not a movie for the casual moviegoer: That guy with the Koizumi avatar (who people has resorted to calling Koizumi instead) has pointed out that the movie does not even try to establish who the characters are, instead jumping right into them getting comfortable in the clubroom.

So for people with previous Haruhi experience, the movie is going to be awesome!
Old 2010-02-14, 13:47   Link #1154
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
You might want to mention massive spoilers in that review. It's nice to see a differing opinion on the movie, and the reviewer does have a great point as to why he/she doesn't like a certain aspect of the movie. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
Quote:
oh my god is Koizumi REALLY THAT PRETENTIOUS?! ><
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post

That guy with the Koizumi avatar (who people has resorted to calling Koizumi instead)
My goodness, ultimatemegax. You have done such a good job being Koizumi that I can imagine his face smiling and nodding (with his eyes closed, mind you) while saying that.

BRING ME alt!ultimatemegax! I wonder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
You must not have read the comments to that review. In it a number of people point out that the guy misunderstood Yuki's role and motivation in the movie, which was at the heart of his problem with the movie. And he seemed to read way too much into the movie. Any Yuki fanboys who are familiar with the novels or who don't try to read in things that aren't there will not have any problem with the movie.

I find it encouraging that the only problem that the reviewer had with the the movie was due to his take on Yuki's role in it. He raved about the animation and their skill at making a ~3 hour movie enjoyable, and even commented how well the story works (even if he didn't like the way it did). I know I do like Yuki's role in the movie, so I still see this as a positive review.
Strangely enough, I thought it was a positive review simply because the reviewer has raised points that was supposed to be negative but turned out to be the other way around. In summary, this was what he was not pleased with;

Spoiler for Review of Review:

Since the reviewer's negative points aren't that valid in my opinion, I feel that yes, it's yet another positive review for the movie. Especially if it can invoke such strong feelings in people after watching it.
Old 2010-02-14, 14:18   Link #1155
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Quote:
Spoiler for Review of Review:

Since the reviewer's negative points aren't that valid in my opinion, I feel that yes, it's yet another positive review for the movie. Especially if it can invoke such strong feelings in people after watching it.
Regarding point 1 of your spoiler review review:

Spoiler for This is also a novel spoiler:

Also, yeah, I think the reviewer said that he hadn't read the novel yet. Otherwise, he probably wouldn't have put so much weight on Yuki and Kyon's relationship.
Old 2010-02-14, 14:29   Link #1156
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by keri View Post
Spoiler for This is also a novel spoiler:
...I never realized this myself, and I'm pretty sure it was never mentioned in the book, only implied. I don't think you can blame the reviewer for not getting it.
Old 2010-02-14, 17:04   Link #1157
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
He hasn't read the novel...?
If he had (like Keri said), maybe he wouldn't have put so much weight on the relationship aspect.
Old 2010-02-14, 17:49   Link #1158
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
edkedkedk, thank you for making the points I wanted to make. From my point of view, the reviewer went in thinking that the movie was going to feature the characters as we all know and love in the anime. Unfortunately for him, there is a new world in the movie that changes Yuki's character drastically. The new Yuki is so different from what's usual that it brought out so much anger in him. All this tells me is that the movie portrays Yuki in this movie exactly as how I see her wanting to be. The reviewer did mention that he had not read the novels which I believe would've eased his concerns muchly due to the material in later novels.
Spoiler:

For the comments from Keri:
Spoiler:

I do apologize for my overanalysis on health concerns. If I were a slider, I'm sure I could travel into a world where I had pursued the path of medicine and become a doctor. I am indeed pleased that everyone sees me as Koizumi. I take the compliment with great honor.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2010-02-14, 18:03   Link #1159
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I'm largely fine with that somewhat negative review.

Here's my take on it, though...

Spoiler for Movie spoilers:
Old 2010-02-14, 21:46   Link #1160
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
For the comments from Keri:
Spoiler:

I do apologize for my overanalysis on health concerns. If I were a slider, I'm sure I could travel into a world where I had pursued the path of medicine and become a doctor. I am indeed pleased that everyone sees me as Koizumi. I take the compliment with great honor.
Very good point -
Spoiler:

Anyway, I was almost positive that Koizumi or Kyon had said something about Haruhi's ability to do what I mentioned either in this novel or maybe a later one, because of her desire to have everything like it is in books or on tv.

But maybe not, and it's yet another example in a long list of them of places where I fail to remember what I read. You'd never know from the way I (fail to) recall things I've read that I have an almost photographic memory.
Closed Thread

Tags
science fiction, shounen