AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-07-27, 12:28   Link #41
Zhemos

Anyone know if Zelda is set to launch the day the Wii comes out?

I've thought long and hard about what to buy, and unless some amazing RPG comes out on the PS3, I doubt I'll be buying one anytime soon. The Wii just looks so fun, and different. And twilight princess looks absolutely breathtaking.
Old 2006-07-28, 19:49   Link #42
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymunky
im glad it doesnt have dvd or mp3 functions. it would just take away from soley playing video games. im psyched about the WII!!
I don't think it would take away from the games, but it would add to the cost, and be completely unneccessary for 90% or more of the people out there. I mean, who doesn't have a DVD player? And if you really want one, you can get one really cheap. I've got more than I need already.

Zelda is supposed to be a Wii launch title, make sure you get the Wii version and not the Gamecube version. Minor graphical tweaks, widescreen view, and of course the Wii controller.

PS3 will undoubtedly have some great games. Probably more than the other two consoles at first. However, if it doesn't outsell the other two consoles like the PSX and PS2 did, then developers will spread support more evenly amongst the three. That's the way the game industry works.
Old 2006-07-28, 23:56   Link #43
mokoi
nightmares of the mind

I love the Wii.. it seems they have more support and looks fun. anyone know any RPGs being developed? Trauma Center looks the best right know.
P.S. Zelda is suppose to release the same day as the Wii;_; i need to get this job.
mokoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-30, 09:48   Link #44
tkdtiger

I don't think the Game Cube was a failure it was the only system to make a profit...both Sony and Microsoft lost money with their systems...The wii is def. different and I'm going to get one : ) Besides Nintendo isn't as far behind atleast Sony as some people may think...Nintendo kept the #1 spot off and on until 2000 thanks to Pokemon...Ironically the Gamecube sold the fastest at release...ultimately I think what killed the Gamecube was the lack of games...anyways I still prefer the PC : P
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-30, 10:32   Link #45
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Well you gotta give Nintendo kudos, what company can claim significant PROFIT from a console that is considered by the wider Console gaming community as a failure?

Sony: Yeah we are the most popular console in the Market but we lost **** loads of money on it.

Microsoft: Yeah, we are a popular console and the most technical superior in this generation, but we still lost **** loads of money.

Nintendo: We kinda messed up and not even considered a real competitor in the last console war, but we still made **** loads of money and took no losses. muwahahaha.

Old 2006-07-31, 17:45   Link #46
mokoi
nightmares of the mind

True, Nintendo made money while others lost. the wii may also turn up #1 in the next console wars due the popularity it's getting and the more support.
mokoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 05:06   Link #47
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

As I always say, rather than expecting every generation of consoles to go exactly like the previous, it's smart to look at why a particular console sold well or didn't. In the case of the Cube, it was primarily a lack of support.

Then, why the lack of support? Not at all because the PSX sold better than the N64, developers don't work entirely that way, which is why the Gamecube had much stronger support when it launched. No, the reason was that the PS2 was already in so many homes when the Cube was just launching. Sony maintained that lead for the first year or two of the Cube, and hasn't let up. Developers see that, and make their games for the console that can potentially sell the most copies.

Sony does not have that immeadiate advantage this time around. Microsoft does, but it's hampered by Japanese developers' unwillingness to support an American console.

It will be interesting to see how developer support falls upon the three consoles this time around. Sony has name recognition, for the majority of the current gaming market, the PSX and the PS2 were their first consoles. A lot of people do expect the PS3 to have the best developer support, so this could become a self-fullfilling prophecy...developers go where the most consoles are sold. Then again, there's that $600 price tag. Even staunch Sony fans who say they'll only get the PS3 have been known to add, "Well, I'll wait until the price drops down." If too many do, then they'll find when the price has dropped, so has developer support. Developers will leave a console that shows a weak first year. Still, there is that name recognition, and one should not underestimate brand loyalty. A Sony exec once boasted that they could sell 5 million units at $600 a pop with no games to show for it...and I suspect he may be right.

Microsoft has the current largest install base, and plenty of American developer support. They're also finally getting some great games, like Chromehounds and 99 Knights. Still, while Japanese support is stronger than it was with their first Xbox, the 360 isn't selling well at all in Japan, so what support they have over there will likely diminish over time if sales do not pick up. There's also the price. The 360 is a pricey machine, and if someone is going to spend that kind of cash, would they rather get a 360 now or wait and spend a hundred or so more on a PS3?

Nintendo is coming in from third place in overall sales, though the hype is big in Japan for the Wii, especially as the PS3's high price has been settled at something higher than many expected, and most will be willing to pay. If Nintendo manages a successful first year or two in Japan, expect developer support to grow for them in a big way. If they only keep their current standing...well, expect the rest of the generation to go the same as well. Expect Nintendo to at least do as well as always.

Finally, it's unfair to say that Microsoft and Sony didn't make any profit. That's only really true of Microsoft, who continues to bleed red ink on their console endeavours. Sony began pulling in a profit on the PS2 a year or two ago. Once they cleared their initial investment costs, they began to rake it in with the PS2.

With the PS3, it's unclear if the high price is due to the technology involved actually being so much better than the competition, or if Sony is unable to sell at a large loss this time, as they did with the PS2. They can no longer lean on their electronics departments, as that particular branch of the Sony empire is not doing so hot (better, recently, but still). So, the PS3 might not see quite as long a period of loss as the PS2, if it does well. We'll see though. Things might turn out very different than I imagine.
Old 2006-08-01, 10:24   Link #48
demonkd
prince of all demons

out of the 3 new systems the wii looks the most revolutionary with the controler and stuff and then with the talk about a 24 hour connection it looks very promising
demonkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-10, 17:35   Link #49
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
lol

Sony Announce a delay in Europe and only 2 million estimate, nintendo reinforce their commitment in Europe and an esitmation of 6 million.

Woohoo! Go go Nintendo!

*can't wait for november*
Old 2006-09-11, 01:32   Link #50
Kouji
StrykerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhemos
Anyone know if Zelda is set to launch the day the Wii comes out?

I've thought long and hard about what to buy, and unless some amazing RPG comes out on the PS3, I doubt I'll be buying one anytime soon. The Wii just looks so fun, and different. And twilight princess looks absolutely breathtaking.
Apparently, there will be two versions of T.P. One for the GameCube, and the other for the Wii (which's one of the many 27 launch games). The Wii will take full advantage of the Wii-mote controller.
Old 2006-09-11, 13:39   Link #51
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

That's very old news.
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-11, 13:43   Link #52
Rin-Sama
Banned

Wii > X-box 360 > PS3

the PS3 is just too expencive to buy when it comes out. leading to the Wii supassing it in sales. and with a new controler, cheaper price, and the ability to DL any previous Nintendo game ever made will make the Wii the most successful 256 bits system.
Rin-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-11, 14:06   Link #53
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

I'll be buying all 3 consoles, because each is going to have great exclusives. It's probably far too soon to predict any winners or losers for the coming generation. However, I think it's fair to say that this generation will be a much closer fight than the last one. The only prediction I will make as regards actual console sales relations is PS3 > Xbox360. The ps2 has been outselling the 360. Sony doesn't need too large of a percentage of those installed users to make the jump before they surpass 360 numbers. Don't get me wrong- I have a 360 and I think it's a great console- but I think the PS3 will still manage to have a superior roster of games and keep much of their loyal users from last gen.

As to the price of the PS3, it really isn't expensive in comparison to the 360. It will come with Blu-ray AND (I'm pretty sure) wi-fi capability. The 360 doesn't come with this- you have to buy their 1st party adapter ($100) if you don't have your 360 next to your modem (ouch!). I still haven't gotten up the guts to spend that much on an adapter. That's more than 200 dollars of value right there.

The Wii is the wild card, of course- Nintendo could win this generation, but I think a tie or slight loss to Sony is likely (depending on whether you look at units sold or profit/revenue). As far as the BEGINNING of this new generation goes, however- well, it seems a given that the Wii will win.
Old 2006-09-11, 16:00   Link #54
Zython
Card-carrying Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessLover
Yah ok. Almost every reputable game magazine said that game sucked.
"reputable" and "game magazine" contradict eachother (at least here in the states).

As for me, I'm in full anticipation mode for the Wii.
Zython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-11, 17:41   Link #55
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin-Sama
Wii > X-box 360 > PS3

the PS3 is just too expencive to buy when it comes out. leading to the Wii supassing it in sales. and with a new controler, cheaper price, and the ability to DL any previous Nintendo game ever made will make the Wii the most successful 256 bits system.
See, here's the thing about prices though. If you look back, there have been several consoles that were released in the past that, if you include inflation into the calculation, would be quite expensive if they were released now (I'll try to find the link to that if I can). With that being said, is the PS3 an expensive system? Oh heck yeah. $599 (probaly $699 for me up here in Canada... ) is quite a bit to plop down for a console, especially looking at its current library of launch titles...Heavenly Sword looks pretty good, but it's a launch window game really.

With that being said, the Wii has a lot of potential. It's lower price point will make it a very attractive buy, and there will probably be a lot of people who decide to pick it up as a secondary console next to their Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3. And yes...I do believe that to be the case, the Wii will probably be a secondary system to many people (well, for those that plan to only get two systems anyways), but I'm sure that there will be some people who consider it their primary system. Nintendo's definitely got a good shot with the Wii of obtaining a higher market share than they did with the GCN (not a difficult task imho) since a lot of previous 'non-gamers' will be more willing to pick up that system over a 360 or PS3 (kind of like with the DS and games like Nintendogs, Brain Age, etc), but they still probably have to shake the 'kiddy games' image that they have with the central gamer market. Yes, the GCN definitely had some non-kiddy games like RE4 and Killer 7, but there are far too many people who think of the company as one who targets their little brother/sister more than them.

In the end, I still feel that the next-gen console "war" will end up looking the same as it is now. The Sony brand simply has too much pull with the Asian market, even though they are getting somewhat screwed with only 100,000 consoles in Japan at launch, but the 3rd party support is there, unlike with the 360. The Wii seems like it has a strong developer backing now, but that depends on how well the system and its games are received in general. If it starts to falter, we could see developers jump ship ala the GCN, though let's hope it doesn't happen. In the end, I still feel Sony will come out on top, though most likely less dominant than they were during the PS2 era, with both MS and Nintendo gaining ground on them in the market share department.
Dark` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-11, 18:02   Link #56
Samourai
Le samouraļ est le illest

Send a message via AIM to Samourai
i hope they come ot with a naruto game.
Samourai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-11, 18:24   Link #57
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samourai
i hope they come ot with a naruto game.
Naruto games are pretty much all but guaranteed, what with its popularity and all. The only question really is how many of them are going to make it over to NA.
Dark` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-11, 18:32   Link #58
Samourai
Le samouraļ est le illest

Send a message via AIM to Samourai
will the wii play imports?
Samourai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-11, 19:23   Link #59
Cloudnine
ロリ is life~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samourai
will the wii play imports?
Wait till the14th of September. On that day, Nintendo will be holding a conference in NYC and Tokyo, revealing information that everyone has been waiting for.
Cloudnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-13, 12:44   Link #60
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to uLTraCarL- Send a message via AIM to uLTraCarL-
The schedule

Japan. 14th at 9am (10pm PDT/1am EDT tonight!)
NYC. 14th at 9:00am EDT/6am PDT
Europe. 15th at 12pm (7:00am EDT/4am PDT)

seems like everyone got fooled with the initial times.
but now thats all set and done here's all the goodies from the first set.

The Chronicles of uLTraCarL .. Youtube connection
[Ht] Hostile Takeover #hostile @ irc.gamesurge.net .. Anime-Kraze #anime-kraze @ irc.rizon.net

Last edited by uLTraCarL-; 2006-09-14 at 03:47.
uLTraCarL- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
console, wii