AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-03-19, 00:50   Link #1
ThePhoenixRises

The best Final Fantasy system?

mine has to be the materia system, that definately rules.

The worst has to be FFX - that HUGE grid sphere thing eeeeek - was crappy and some of my characters ended up being underdeveloped while others had lots of strength but not much of anything else so they died quickly. Yuna had hardly any health but loads of powerful spells which i couldnt use coz i had to keep wasting power healing myself and others. But i do like the game hehehehe very very good game - just system sucks.

FF8 system not very believeable. Drawing strange idea. Great game though.
ThePhoenixRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-19, 00:56   Link #2
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhoenixRises
FF8 system not very believeable.
Magic in general is believable?

Personally, I preferred the Esper system of FF6. It was pretty annoying when you had to draw (or refine) your magic all the time, and I guess I'm just not used to the idea that you would lose your magic if you unequipped your Materia.

FF9's system is confusing. I haven't finished the game, though. As for FFX, I thought the sphere grid was a nice touch.

I believe the earlier FFs had more or less dedicated job classes. A mage is a mage is a mage. Unless it's a Black Mage. ^^
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-19, 01:16   Link #3
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I liked ff7's materia system the best. It seemed to be the most developed. The other systems had problems. The junction system in ff8 was good, but drawing was annoying. ff9 had a good system, but it seemed unrefined. FF10's sphere grid was nice, better than the systems in ff8 or 9, but it somehow seemed like it was missing something...
Old 2004-03-19, 01:36   Link #4
AoshiOniwaban

Wasn't the sphere grid just like Diablo 2 though? It used syenergies and stuff but any way.

I think FF9 had the best type of spells and stuff.. Thats the best system to me
AoshiOniwaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-19, 01:40   Link #5
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis
I believe the earlier FFs had more or less dedicated job classes. A mage is a mage is a mage. Unless it's a Black Mage. ^^
It was like that in FF4, but in FF5 there was a job system like in FFX-2 where you gained jobs as you played the game (some were hidden) and had to learn each job's special abilities separately. The main difference is that in FF5 you couldn't change jobs during a fight, only between battles.

Having played every FF from 4 to X-2 I like the system best in X-2. My least favorite was the materia system.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-19, 01:44   Link #6
aahhsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
It was like that in FF4, but in FF5 there was a job system like in FFX-2 where you gained jobs as you played the game (some were hidden) and had to learn each job's special abilities separately. The main difference is that in FF5 you couldn't change jobs during a fight, only between battles.

Having played every FF from 4 to X-2 I like the system best in X-2. My least favorite was the materia system.
I hated the materia system. I thought it was just plain annoying and everytime you reequip something you have to do it all over again.

Drawing as pretty bad too, then again pretty much only thing you needed was Aura.

FF9 was the best, equip a weapon to learn the skill. FF5 was pretty good too. Job class like Tactics
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-19, 02:13   Link #7
RichMan
????

I really liked FF7 and FF8 system, but I think i'm going to stick with FF8. In Junction, I set it up so my three main characters(Squall, Zell, and Rinoa) can absorb any elemental attack. Aura's and Ultima's are the best junction magics

But in FF7, I would level up in the submarrine, during that time I would also morph all the monsters there to get items that your stats. In the end, my three main characters(Cloud, Red XIII, and Cid) had all stats at 255, plus I was able to give em all Double Cut(which I mastered with each character and ended up being 4X Slash)
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-19, 02:16   Link #8
deedlit
the High Elf

One of these days should try ff5. I think tactics is one of the most interesting ff game. Is tactics system included?

I do hate the drawing system. Boring chore.
deedlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-19, 02:21   Link #9
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin
I hated the materia system. I thought it was just plain annoying and everytime you reequip something you have to do it all over again.
I agree, FFVII was annoying because of that.

My favorite system would be FFIV. For those of you who are too young or forgot, you gained spells automatically when you gained experience levels. Why is it good? BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING!!!

Runner-up I think would be FFVI. I like how you learned magic from equiping and Esper and you could also use it in battle and get a bonus if you had it equiped when you gained a level.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-19, 02:24   Link #10
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

I liked FF9's system the best, where everyone had a dedicated Job and could learn abilities/support abilities, but there was a limit depending on how many slots you have avaliable.

FF4 comes next, dedicated Jobs.

I hated FF7's Materia System, and FF8's Draw System. The Materia System basically made everyone the exact same as everyone else, with the exception of their Limit Breaks. The Draw System was by far the most annoying system I have ever seen in an RPG. You would spend 10-15 minutes drawing 1-3 spells per round until you managed to get 100 of the same spells, then you won't use it because if you do, it'll lower the particular stat and you'll have to spend time drawing the spell again.

FF5 and FFT's Job System was nice.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-19, 02:28   Link #11
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I had forgotten about the Draw-Junction system of FF8. (I probably blocked out the memory because I wanted to remember only the great things about FF8.) Yeah, that one was even worse than the Materia System. I forgot how annoying it is to have all these spells you never want to cast because they exist only for junctioning.

If you don't spend the time to draw 100 each of all the good spells, the game can be monstrously tough, but if you do that incredibly boring bit of work, then every fight (even bosses, even Ultima Weapon) becomes incredibly easy. Baka baka baka.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-19, 02:38   Link #12
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Final Fantasy Tactics' Job System was perfect, though I generally don't like Job Systems in RPGs because it makes all the characters the same (I like diversity, like in FF4).

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance's battle system would have been perfect if not for one reason:

No Charge Time.

I didn't find much stratagy because of it, since practically all the classes are similar because of this (Dragoons were a joke). I just waltz in, spam the most powerful spells/attacks I've got, win the map.
Old 2004-03-19, 02:50   Link #13
<xellos>
As a WHM I help people

i like the Esper system in FF6, it was in essence like a Job, or like dress in FFX-2 minus the being able to change, plus you get a cool summon and level bonuses depending on which esper you had equipped
<xellos> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-19, 04:12   Link #14
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
My favorite system would be FFIV. For those of you who are too young or forgot, you gained spells automatically when you gained experience levels. Why is it good? BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING!!!
That was a good system. Although I was chagrined when the ULTIMATE MAGIC METEO turned out to be as useful as a couple of strikes from Cecil and Kain.

One thing about the Esper system in FF6 was that it made all the characters... well, same-ish. When all four of your characters abuse the Ultima-Quick-Economizer trick (one of whom also has the Gem Box), battles tend to end really, really quickly.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-19, 04:19   Link #15
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis
One thing about the Esper system in FF6 was that it made all the characters... well, same-ish. When all four of your characters abuse the Ultima-Quick-Economizer trick (one of whom also has the Gem Box), battles tend to end really, really quickly.
Why cast 2x Ultima, when you can just send out someone with Atma/Luminere Offering/Gengi Glove combo and kill everything in one attack
Old 2004-03-19, 10:01   Link #16
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot
The Draw System was by far the most annoying system I have ever seen in an RPG. You would spend 10-15 minutes drawing 1-3 spells per round until you managed to get 100 of the same spells, then you won't use it because if you do, it'll lower the particular stat and you'll have to spend time drawing the spell again.
Lol, I totally agree with you ^_^ I would never use Ultima or Aura just cause i didn't want to go out and find enemies that actually carry taht spell...and even when i really should have used some of them i would only use Aura to help out against the final boss or that hidden Weapon monster. Although i did like the junction system...even though it was extremely confusing in the beginning of the game...i went through half the game before i actually started to understand the full benefits of it...

ff7's wasn't bad...I just hated having to change materia every now and then cause my weapons/armor didn't have enough slots to hold all the ones i needed...then when i switched party members that was another annoying thing...moving the materia over to the other...just to realize the other has less slots making you pick and choose which ones are the most necessary....

the only other ff game i really played was ff3 for the nes...but that one i think was a bit more aggravating then the other 2...changing job classes then equipping the spells/summons to the chars that can use them....it's been a while since i beat htat game but at least towards the very end there were a ninja type job class that lets you equip any weapon and armor...and a mage class that lets you equip any magic including the summons..
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-19, 10:18   Link #17
frowndog
Poof... time warp

Systems-wise, i think that ff7 had a very cool system. The problem with it though was that everybody, outside of limit breaks, basically became interchangeable. You can argue that with the other FFs, everybody became interchangeable when you get to the higher levels, but that's only at higher levels. FF7, from the start, had characters that basically had the same abilities.

To some extent this was repeated in ff8 where you just exchanged junctions and the next character looks the same as your first. This was further made annoying by the draw/junction system. I probably used magic in that game less than 10x because of fear of losing the properties that spell gave my characters.

I'm an FF purist so i would have to go with ff6. Although eventually they can all become ultra powerful mages, they still had their individual jobs. Though i'd have to say that FF9 is tempting to choose because i really like differentiated characters. Not the cardboard cutouts (ability wise) that the latter FFs had. Though i make an exception with FFX (thought that the sphere system was cool)

EDIT: (i'm a typo machine)

Last edited by frowndog; 2004-03-19 at 12:34.
frowndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-19, 11:22   Link #18
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

I liked the materia system of Final Fantasy VII, though I tended to end up with the same characters in my team all the way through the game, and every single time I played it. Sure, there were some difficult decisions at times, which materia to use, who to give it to so you would get the most out of it, but that was some of the fun, at least for me.

I didn't care much for Final Fantasy VIII's junction system. Early in the game you relied almost exclusively on summons, then late in the game only on physical attacks and limit breaks, either because summons were too weak, took too long (Eden, anyone?), or you were just plain sick of seeing them. Magic spells, even if you did use them, never really did much damage at all, unless it was a specific elemental weakness or Ultima. At first I disliked the limit break system too, any character low on health should normally be healed as quickly as possible. But it was easy to exploit after a while, especially the combination of low health and Aura, which almost guaranteed 8 strikes and a finish move with Renzokuken, gave Zell plenty of time for his moves, and Rinoa got Invincible Moon just about every time.

Final Fantasy IX had a good system IMO, The characters finally had (mostly) unique roles on the team, and learning the skills was a simple matter. Summons weren't force-fed like in FFVIII, and they played a major role in the game's plot, which was cool. Even though their power in the story was somewhat unproportional to that in combat. Gameplay balance, I know....

The sphere grid used in Final Fantasy X wasn't my favorite FF system. If you used the basic system, you were very limited to how your characters could develop until very late in the game. It made the game easier, since you weren't so much at risk of missing an important spell or ability (like reflect, which was VERY useful against Seymour, especially on Mt. Gagazet). You also got several of the great spells/abilities earlier than the advanced grid. The advanced grid (the only one I used) was much more open, and later in the game you could make some really powerful all-round characters. Combined with a few Master Spheres, you could kick serious butt with that system, and it struck me as the most imbalanced system at that time, if you looked at the fairly low amount of work (read: Battle) it took to advance characters later in the game.

Final Fantasy X-2 is a game I haven't finished yet, and I'm not sure I will any time soon. I haven't gotten all the dress-spheres, so I can't give my overall impression until I've thoroughly tested them.

*Edit*
Forgot to list my favorite. I'll call it a draw between Final Fantasy VII and IX, both had elements I really liked, but I can't really choose one over another.

Last edited by AG3; 2004-03-20 at 13:03. Reason: Spelling. Ok, so it's been a whole day. So what? ... Why are you looking at me like that?
AG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 04:03   Link #19
AoshiOniwaban

I still think FF9 was the best system.. Look at it this way

Lvl Up
Gain New Spells
Lose The Old Ones (Not as in they dissapear)

Then ya.. Plus all different items also and stuff.. I mean common simple as that..

Sphere Grid - Confusing
Materia - Decent but to much things to do
etc...
AoshiOniwaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 04:30   Link #20

I think they all have their pros and cons.... I love the FF7 system.... I like the whole way it's set up...

But FF8's GF system is great... only limit is their HP... but after you see their moves 100 times... it gets lame... (the moves... not them)

FF9 is more of a throw back to 8-16 bit games... which is also good...

X X-2...err I won't comment...

Crono Trigger had the best battle system... IMHO

I would love a -2 of FF7 and FF8... I can dream right?
321 is offline   Reply With Quote