AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-04-16, 10:35   Link #1441
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Wait, don't stop there.

The other thing mentioned on that page is what they're calling a 'navigation drama CD' for Umineko. Apparently, it's a way for fans to get to know the cast before the anime comes out. And it'll 'reproduce some scenes from the game'.

...It looks like Battler, Jessica, Maria, George, Kanon, Shannon, and Beatrice will be voiced.
...Dammit, I didn't notice the scroll bar and only saw the first CD Thanks.
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 10:39   Link #1442
Quorum

Hn ? That's strange. .
Quorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 14:33   Link #1443
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~

Recently, I've felt myself Jonesin' (more than ussual) for some more Umineko-y goodness. What the status on the book learnin' oh translator ?
lovelysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 14:54   Link #1444
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

No change whatsoever. As stated, you will have to wait for june before there will be any proper progression or so.
Old 2009-04-21, 10:00   Link #1445
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I have a question about the first sentence of the witch's epitaph

According to what i got the original is shown as follow:

懐かしき、故郷を貫く鮎の川。

Which should be transliterated into:

Natsukashiki, kokyou o tsuranuku ayu no kawa. <- I hope I didn't mess up.

What bothers me is that comma. I have limited knowledge about japanese so i'm guessing that "natsukashiki" is the same as "natsukashii". So uhm... is it normal in japanese to separate adjectives and nouns with commas? °°;
Does that "natsukashiki" (beloved, nostalgic) really refer to kokyou "homeland"?

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 10:58   Link #1446
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

懐かしき is an old form of 懐かしい.
It's become what it is now just by dropping the k-sound... (and before き-endings, there were し-endings, from what I read )

Well, as a self-student, I'm not that knowledgeable (ignorant) but, I guess there's also this possibility:

For the sake of organization, as there are two 'adjectives' to river of the sweetfishes:

1st adjective = 懐かしき
2nd 'adjective' (a relative clause) = 故郷を貫く ;

The coma could be indicating that 懐かしき links to 鮎の川

Without the coma, 懐かしき故郷, it'd be clear that 懐かしき links to 故郷.

Again
I'm not very used to poetry too
So, what I said might be just bullshit... Besides, it makes more sense for a hometown to be dear than a river...
Whatever
Old 2009-04-21, 11:08   Link #1447
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Yeah it certainly would make sense to think it is referred to hometown, but the comma itself does make sense?
I know as usual this might just be an overly analysis of minor facts, but still why this comma here?

I've made i few researches on google and i found this:

http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache...&hl=en&ct=clnk

here "natsukashiki" is standing alone and is it translated as "like old times". Is it possible that in the epitaph "natsukashiki" doesn't refer to anything in particular but it just serves the purpose of recalling the past?

Old 2009-04-21, 11:18   Link #1448
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Beware dude

Poetry is usually translated very loosely, to try to preserve the original 'magic', mood, feel, whatever... ()
Otherwise, a literal translation would make it very 'cold' and not-poetic

And it can perfectly mean 'nostalgic', missing, dear, something you miss, you wanted close, but is not
It is an adjective
Old 2009-04-21, 13:53   Link #1449
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Yeah i know, but japanese is a language that often omits words.

I learned the meaning of "natsukashii" by frequently hearing it in various fansubs. Of course when a word is pronounced alone chances that i learn what does it mean are very high. Natsukashii happens to be be a word that is frequently pronounced alone without adding anything after that, and in that case 90% of fansubbers translate it as: "how nostalgic".

Now this case is a little problematic to me. "natsukashiki" is not exactly alone here, and i can't really imagine what should be implied if it was, this would lead me to think that therefore it is tied on what is shown next. But if that's the case why putting the comma there? As far as i known punctuation is something that has been borrowed by western languages and definitely you should not place a comma between an adjective and the related noun. In a few words: there was no real reason for Kinzo to use that comma there, unless he wanted to clarify that nastukashiki and kokyou are two separated things. Chigaimasuka?

Old 2009-04-23, 23:50   Link #1450
777chris777

It may have been asked elsewhere, sorry if I've missed it, but the post was made within the last 24 hours as far as I can tell. On the umineko animes homepage HERE is it suggesting that the anime is going to start airing in July 2009?

I can't read much of it, but what I do pick up is

TV ANIME
2009 July ...?
Television ....?

The majority of the kanji are beyond my very low level of japanese

Anyway, anyone wanna confirm for me?

*excited excited*
777chris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 00:03   Link #1451
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

See the proper thread ^_-

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...=68713&page=26

Old 2009-04-24, 07:03   Link #1452
NeoWorm

I have a little idea. I dont know if something like this wasnt mentioned before in this thread (I dont want to read through all 78 pages).
My main locale is Czech and I have a lot of programs that require Czech locale so playing Umineko with background music requires changing locale and restarting PC (I hate Vista). The main reason why BGM cant be played when using non JP locale is the usage of japanese symbols in names of the files. Would it be possible to make alternative translation patch that will load different files as a music - the ones that arent using japanese symbols? Than simple batch file that renames .ogg files in music directory will enable music even when playing with different locale.
I tried to hack into game code and do it myself, but all utilities to extract content of .nsa files dont work for me. Not to mention that I dont know anything about ONScripter code syntax (I want to learn it but there are almost none english guides).
NeoWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 08:39   Link #1453
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I dunno if this is feasible but the main problem is that you'll have to manually rename the ogg files since witch-hunt will not include those files in the patch.

Old 2009-04-24, 09:15   Link #1454
maximilianjenus
[E]

Yes, he already said he will simply use a batch file to do the renaming.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 12:17   Link #1455
chronotrig

Actually, there is a simpler solution.

Try applying this patch from the official website to your original game.

To use this patch, just move all individual files in it into your Umineko4 folder, then run umi4patch.bat.

Doing this will not only change the BGM files to non-Japanese names that our patch is also compatible with, but will also update the script for the original game so you can run that too without missing tracks.

A warning though: there are several sound and music effects with Japanese characters which are not effected by this.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 17:41   Link #1456
NeoWorm

Nice, thank you. Does the patch for episode 3 work the same way? I dont have ep 4 yet.

Maybe adding that info to the readme could be really useful for your readers btw.
NeoWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 23:21   Link #1457
chronotrig

We haven't been pushing it too much since it doesn't handle all the sound effects.
When the next patch comes out, maybe we'll add in a batch that does everything. We would need to update the script file as well, which complicates things a bit.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 09:41   Link #1458
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
IIRC, locales are only used for non-unicode programs. If onscripter-en were rewritten to use be fully unicode, it wouldn't matter what locale the computer had set. Has Mion looked into doing that?
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 07:48   Link #1459
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

i have two silly questions:

1) Is there a way to select a chapter to start from? Can i jump to a certain point or is that impossible except for saved games?

2) Where the saved games info are stored? There's a "gloval.sav" file on main directory but it looks like saved games created from the onscripter only works there and not on the original game.

Old 2009-04-26, 08:37   Link #1460
Ace of Dragons
AKA Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
i have two silly questions:

1) Is there a way to select a chapter to start from? Can i jump to a certain point or is that impossible except for saved games?
When you finish an Episode, you can go back and select which chapter you want to start at.

Tags
translation